Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Please don't shatter my dreams and tell me this is a PR team running his accounts, I want bolshy twitter Jezza to be real

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1199061463039647746

E: In keeping with the earlier momentum posting, here's episode 336 of Kuladheivam. Epic chase scenes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=555fSGlpk40

Feel free to dub your own 'Why haven't you registered to vote get back heeeeeere' over it.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is there a reason why way more people would've moved house in the past 2 years than the 2 years before 2017 or the 5 years before 2015?

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Thanks! Yeah, Alienware is a dumb idea but they just look so cool lol. My living situation at present is sufficiently chaotic that I'm not really willing to go for a desktop. I'm likely to be moving flat in ~5 months and then probably again not long after that. Hurray for academia. I'm not made of money but I have a few grand in savings. Wouldn't really want to spend beyond the ~£1500 mark ideally, and it would need to be a solidly built machine that'll last me at least five years or so. I've heard Huawei is alright for the price? I've also noticed that getting an i9 processor adds to the price considerably, is this worth it over an i7?

Long time lurker here, first post!

If you are dead set on the idea, and constantly on the move, as I was - then I can recommend a branded Clevo laptop. They make barebone laptop chassis'' that are sold on to 3rd parties who sell them as their own: I believe the most popular named brand of them in the US is Sager - and there are plenty of UK companies offering them too.

I got mine from Scan under their 3xs brand 4 years ago now, and it's still going strong. Also Scan offer excellent and prompt support in my experience, and have sourced replacement parts for me very quickly before. I found it a little easier to take apart than big name branded laptops, so maintenance is a bit easier too (I've broken my keyboard before and cracked my screen after dropping it while open, both parts were easy for me to replace.)

They also look pretty decent imo, they don't look stupid like most gaming laptops, they just look like a basic workstation. I took mine to uni and work with me (I was back and forward a lot) and everyone just assumed it was a generic, basic laptop. This isn't to say the finish is cheap, just not garish - the back-lit keyboard was just plain white too, but newer ones have toggle-able RGB. Speakers are also great. Downside is, although the laptop itself is quite light - power brick is not, and battery was 4 hours max when using it for work (word processing, Web browsing etc.)

For reference, my machine is a Clevo P650se from 3XS, with a 970m and while I can't max most newer games anymore unless I lock 30, it still runs games better than my PS4. I think the newer ones have max q or you can choose a RTX 2060 version to cut costs - both should run most newer games 60fps I believe, but you can always check benchmarks.

Worth looking into it anyway, but in my case I really found the portability to be worth the extra cost.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Ms Adequate posted:

I would never erase my precious rat dragoon! Burmecia forever!!

Your constant impeccable taste is an inspiration :swoon:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Bardeh posted:

This is such an absurd spike that it looks like a bug or an error:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1199050670365642753

Apparently Stormzy and some Youtuber both posted messages urging their followers to register, so if it's real hooooly poo poo that's a lot of potential young voters

Look at Owen Jones attempting to subvert democracy by encouraging people to register to vote! :mad:

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That was a sealed indictment, which isn't an extradition request. If it was extant at the time he went into the embassy, why was it not even mentioned by anyone - including Assange's legal team - until six years afterwards when the US finally did formally request extradition?

And I can't emphasise this enough - he requested asylum after losing his legal challenge to his extradition to Sweden.. He was walking around London a free man up until that point; why did he suddenly believe he was at risk of extradition to the US after losing that case? And if you want to go the rendition route, why did the risk of rendition suddenly become much higher after he lost that case?

The public existence of an extradition request changes the political cost to taking Assange into custody. It's one thing to nominally nab him to face rape charges, and another to face punishment for publishing inconvenient information. That's why USA waited until Assange was in custody before making the request public.

Sweden refusing to promise not to extradite him to USA was a pretty good reason for him to fear subjecting himself to Swedish custody.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Pencils R Cool posted:

Never heard of this Craig Murray chap before (so apologies if I'm endorsing an article from Milkshake Duck) but I found this to be a good read.

He's a very interesting person who as British ambassador to Uzbekistan got a front-row seat to see how very willing HMG is to ignore so-called British values because [$_OPPRESSIVE_TORTURING_DICTATOR] is our man; and was then comprehensively nobbled when he tried to speak out about what was going on. Through this, he genuinely knows a fair amount of dirt on a lot of very rich people.

Unfortunately, the experience seems to have broken his brain so badly that he now can't help but peddle any old conspirabollocks going (at the moment he's all in on "Alex Salmond is being framed by the Establishment to discredit Scottish independence", having indulged previously in such numbers as Assad apologism/discrediting the White Helmets, and "Mossad did Skripal and anyone who disagrees is a Zionist pigdog"), and so the stuff he does actually know about becomes ever more indistinguishable from the fairy stories he trots out for Russia Today.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
God dammit why didn't we buy a "register to vote" banner for SA and link it to gov.uk

It's too late now

Then again all the lefty SAers are in this thread already so maybe it's for the best

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

God dammit why didn't we buy a "register to vote" banner for SA and link it to gov.uk

It's too late now

What are you talking about? You can still register to vote for the next 27 hours.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

SpitefulHammer posted:

If you are dead set on the idea, and constantly on the move, as I was - then I can recommend a branded Clevo laptop. They make barebone laptop chassis'' that are sold on to 3rd parties who sell them as their own: I believe the most popular named brand of them in the US is Sager - and there are plenty of UK companies offering them too.

I got mine from Scan under their 3xs brand 4 years ago now, and it's still going strong. Also Scan offer excellent and prompt support in my experience, and have sourced replacement parts for me very quickly before. I found it a little easier to take apart than big name branded laptops, so maintenance is a bit easier too (I've broken my keyboard before and cracked my screen after dropping it while open, both parts were easy for me to replace.)

They also look pretty decent imo, they don't look stupid like most gaming laptops, they just look like a basic workstation. I took mine to uni and work with me (I was back and forward a lot) and everyone just assumed it was a generic, basic laptop. This isn't to say the finish is cheap, just not garish - the back-lit keyboard was just plain white too, but newer ones have toggle-able RGB. Speakers are also great. Downside is, although the laptop itself is quite light - power brick is not, and battery was 4 hours max when using it for work (word processing, Web browsing etc.)

For reference, my machine is a Clevo P650se from 3XS, with a 970m and while I can't max most newer games anymore unless I lock 30, it still runs games better than my PS4. I think the newer ones have max q or you can choose a RTX 2060 version to cut costs - both should run most newer games 60fps I believe, but you can always check benchmarks.

Worth looking into it anyway, but in my case I really found the portability to be worth the extra cost.

Thanks, I had a quick look at their website and they seem like a good shout.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/JuelzKojoey/status/1198939507342675970
Cunts.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Gort posted:

What are you talking about? You can still register to vote for the next 27 hours.

Well the ad wouldn't go live until 6pm tomorrow.

I guess that stills gives a 6 hour window

Ok people get designing one and if it's really good (or even better, really poo poo) i'll buy it

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
having politics chat with the fam while we're on holiday at Center Parcs

my mum I think is going to vote Green because she doesn't like Corbyn very much (she's been taken in by quite a bit of the Lib Dem propaganda like "Corbyn is a leaver" and "all 3 of the main party leaders could lose their seats" (loving :laffo:) but she doesn't like Jo; either)

my dad was talking about Corbyn lacking "charisma" which is important because he needs it to "lead" apparently :sigh: I think he might go LD

(we are all in Coventry NW so it doesn't matter very much who we vote for as it's a Labour stronghold)

my b-i-l thinks Corbyn's nice but useless ("why won't he make a stand and say that Brexit is bad for the country") but my sister is a good egg and will get him to vote Labour anyway I'm sure

(sadly they're in Harborough which is pretty solidly Tory)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Well the ad wouldn't go live until 6pm tomorrow.

I guess that stills gives a 6 hour window

Ok people get designing one and if it's really good (or even better, really poo poo) i'll buy it

OK who's got the best moobs

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Ornedan posted:

The public existence of an extradition request changes the political cost to taking Assange into custody. It's one thing to nominally nab him to face rape charges, and another to face punishment for publishing inconvenient information. That's why USA waited until Assange was in custody before making the request public.

Sweden refusing to promise not to extradite him to USA was a pretty good reason for him to fear subjecting himself to Swedish custody.

The UK weren't promising not to extradite him to the USA either. However he would have been in far less danger of being extradited from Sweden than he would have been from the UK - Sweden has a dual-criminality extradition treaty with the US (meaning the offence has to be an offence in Sweden for him to be extradited) and very robust whistleblower protections (and is generally much less amenable to political pressure from the US).

As to your first point - what's your proposed sequence of events? Sweden asked for the EAW so the UK could arrest Assange and then Sweden would drop the EAW and the Yanks would go "Well as you've already got him in custody we'd like you to send him here"? Even if this was a legally possible thing (he'd lost the appeal against extradition - had he not gone into the embassy he'd have been on a plane to Sweden that night), what's in it for the Swedes, and in what way does it end up less damaging to the UK?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Wow. Even if the guy was smoking weed that's one hell of an overreaction. Crazy how quickly I'm getting radicalised against the police these days.

That said, since moving down to London one of the biggest differences I've noticed compared to Glasgow is this entire city stinks of weed all the time. It doesn't bother me and I actually quite like the smell, but gently caress me it's noticeable.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Thanks for everyone's help earlier with the Undecided, Possibly Tory voter - I scanned through the replies for points to use even though I didn't have time to comment.

I think they're a lost cause, the overwhelming mantra is 'Never Corbyn' and domestic policy doesn't interest them at all - Johnson can lie about nurses all he wants but the important thing is whether or not Corbyn would negotiate with Argentina over the Falklands. I get the impression that they could witness Corbyn rescue orphans and kittens from a burning building and they'd mutter about him undermining the fire service or something.

On the plus (?) side, they live in a massively safe Tory seat so it's not as though their vote will make much difference.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

RockyB posted:

Please don't shatter my dreams and tell me this is a PR team running his accounts, I want bolshy twitter Jezza to be real

i mean, at the very least he is getting input from a team

election hustings are such wonderful car crashes. has anyone ever left one more enlightened about the issues. probably not. but they're still great

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/ToryFibs/status/1199016531683926020
:3:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

SpitefulHammer posted:

welcome, lurker! stay awhile and post with us

as you do, please enjoy these fine birds - be careful, they are very small and delicate

(goldcrest, regulus regulus)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

election hustings are such wonderful car crashes. has anyone ever left one more enlightened about the issues. probably not. but they're still great

glorious

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1199081067753463808

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Bardeh posted:

This is such an absurd spike that it looks like a bug or an error:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1199050670365642753

Apparently Stormzy and some Youtuber both posted messages urging their followers to register, so if it's real hooooly poo poo that's a lot of potential young voters
it's the 2nd last day of registration there's going to be a big spike (comparable with friday's which was a bizarre spike in registrations). tomorrow's going to be double that easily. this friday was 307k - comparable to a 2nd last spike in any other GE. last day of 2017 was 622k, last day of 2015 was 485k

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you want a cautionary note, don't forget that a lot of those registrations are just going to be people who've moved house since 2017. There's been a few people on Twitter who've basically taken that as "2 million more Labour voters" and pointing out Labour were less than a million votes behind in 2017.

Now a lot of those people will be Labour voters, and a fair few of them are going to be new voters, but at the same time that demographic skews *really* heavily into seats we already hold. Now a popular vote victory isn't off the cards, but it still probably doesn't translate to an outright majority.
agreed the data on voter registration doesn't give any indication if it's an updated record or a fresh voter, we can only rely on trends from past elections but voter turnout across every demographic is up this time. i'll do a more thorough write-up wednesday night but i'll get the spreadsheet updated in the morning for those who bother checking it. i added 2015 data for comparison earlier and the <35 trend is similar to 2017 so i wouldn't read into that headline grabber (the 45+ demo is mostly the same at 2015 as well)

spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing

Register To Vote Now

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 25, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

So "I smelled some cannabis" is the UK police equivalent of the US police's "I thought I heard someone scream" then

Funny how it never happens with rooms full of white people, might be worth it for the deodorant industry to investigate the odor absorption properties of low melanin skin

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
dont know if I missed it but the bbcs non apology for editing the answer from Boris is p poo poo and useless

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCNewsP...60%2Fframe.html

how is clearing up repetitious phrasing an excuse

also the BBC news article says

quote:

The BBC's statement follows an error on BBC Breakfast last month when out-of-date footage of Mr Johnson laying a wreath was broadcast due to "a production mistake".

which is just bizarre. like it was famously at remembrance Day which is famously in November and it's still November you even mentioned the loving wreath in that fucjin sentence arrrshaghgg

maybe they think that if they acknowledge it was actually only the week before last then people will start thinking there's something odd going on?

at least theyre putting the word mistake in scare quotes so there's a modicum of truth

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Lmao what world am I living in where Piers Morgan is savaging tories these days?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

Lmao what world am I living in where Piers Morgan is savaging tories these days?

Pretty sure Piers is just happy to have someone to poo poo on and make himself look good at any opportunity. The Tories just make it easy these days.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Pochoclo posted:

So "I smelled some cannabis" is the UK police equivalent of the US police's "I thought I heard someone scream" then

Funny how it never happens with rooms full of white people, might be worth it for the deodorant industry to investigate the odor absorption properties of low melanin skin

It's the equivalent of the US's 'I smelled some cannabis'. They use exactly that excuse. A lot.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

the strangest part is the tory manifesto for as light as it is explicitly says it won't go ahead with the next stage of leveson (after they ignored the recommendations from stage 1)

labour obviously after all for the next stage

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

It's the equivalent of the US's 'I smelled some cannabis'. They use exactly that excuse. A lot.
It's one of their biggest arguments against legalization.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

serious gaylord posted:

I wonder if he's trying out a new persona because he can see which way the wind is blowing...

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

I think Piers Morgan doesn’t believe in anything at all except whatever will get him the most attention or money right this moment.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cre0in5n-1E

guys... guys... you can't just...

even if you didn't suck at this boris and lo fi is not a good fit

HOW IS ANYONE SUPPOSED TO CHILL LISTENING TO BORIS PRATTLE ON ABOUT BREXIT

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/nathanleedavies/status/1199052908593065985

Eddie Izzard getting active in Wrexham

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

hello fellow kids

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

e; I'n just pleased they haven't done something with Hitler's birthday because then the Americans would do it as 4/20 and that would not be good at all

It was until the Weed Number erased it from online discourse much to the upset of extremely online nazis

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

someone should send this to kuenssberg to let her know that this is the definition of shitposting

Angepain posted:

hello fellow kids

not gonna lie I wouldn't have thought this is an official vid until you said that and I looked at the account that posted it

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

LOL, the pod's going pro:

https://twitter.com/graceblakeley/status/1199071944911523840?s=20

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!
^^^^
I had a pint with Grace Blakeley last week and she was very nice and is a great comrade!

The B O R I S W A V E video will be a product of Lynton Crosby's new little pair of dickheads - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/oct/23/tories-hire-facebook-propaganda-pair-to-run-online-election-campaign

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Is the timing of this election going to play inyo the number of young registrations a bit? Like students will be away at uni rather than usually in the summer they're back home?

Of course that doesn't explain the uptick across all demographics, but might temper the massive youth figures a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

lmao

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1199078435496353792?s=19