Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sabreseven posted:

Quick drive by with a little something I've been working on :)

Edit; resized

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

PC Invasion: CitizenCon 2019 introduces new icy planet and more for Star Citizen

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Wrecked Angle posted:

That PC Gamer article made me look back on one of the previous articles which resulted in me getting 'Removed' from the comments section. Even funnier to read through now...

:laffo:

That Sam :owned: you!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

trucutru posted:

Erin was MIA, probably spending yet another 20hrs day at the offi... hahaha.(just like Sandi)

Perhaps it's much simpler: all the big directors - Sandi, Erin, Ortwin and co - were all having a fantastic party at the big mansion, while they sent lackey Chris to deal with the "idiot, snowflake whales"?

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

God it would kill me if their tree tech was Speed Tree, a product I was introduced to almost 10 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zw6_47sabKg&t=55s

Orv
May 4, 2011
I make at least one SpeedTree joke a year about a new release and their really nice trees, it will never die in my heart.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
There were pictures of Erin at the convention though.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

ATP_Power posted:

God it would kill me if their tree tech was Speed Tree, a product I was introduced to almost 10 years ago:

Pretty sure it's Fedailitree

No it doesn't work yet.
Yes it's comming soon

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ba3rGr
Star Citizen - Rock & Vegetation Assets
Since joining Star Citizen at the beginning of 2017 I had the pleasure to create a large portion of our geology sets and scatter them on a variety of different procedural planets, as well as work on some of the vegetation sets in close collaboration with Özlem Sagbili.
I was in charge of modeling, texturing and setting up object scatter presets. Our pipeline consists of using 3ds Max, ZBrush and Substance Designer/Painter, plus SpeedTree for foliage.
We rely heavily on re-using geometry and existing textures to create quick variations of existing sets.
For example dry versions of lush green vegetation or material swaps on rocks to give them a look fitting with the respective planet they are used on.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://magazine.substance3d.com/star-citizen-texturing-sci-fi-open-world-game-substance/

Our Workflow
Michel: A lot of our pipeline still uses a mix of the more traditional tools, like 3ds Max for modeling and high-res sculpting in ZBrush, but we are also very keen on newer and smarter tools, like texturing in Substance or using SpeedTree to help with the creation of vegetation assets. We are also working on automating elements of our pipeline by using Houdini, potentially offloading a chunk of the modeling work for geology assets to Houdini tools.

Pipeline Examples
Vegetation:
For our vegetation, we use a combination of SpeedTree, ZBrush, and Substance Painter. We start out breaking down a vegetation asset into the leaves/flowers, other alpha components, and the branch/bark components. We then build a white box version of this alpha/leaves texture, using either photo references or mockup shapes that represent the leaf shapes. We use this as a start in SpeedTree to build the asset. This way we can validate whether the asset is going to hit our visual goals, the right scale, shape, leaf density, etc. Just like everything Substance, this is a non-destructive, node-based workflow.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Welp, there goes my chance at a month of Humble Monthly. I really expected them to do abysmally for pledges this year.

Oh well

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol and this fucker has a personal stylist

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Is Bootcha making a new video already or was there some other meaning to the short clips he uploaded during the con?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

He looks like Steve Job's mentally disabled little brother who Apple still lets strut around their empty auditorium and babble into a microphone pretending he's giving keynotes.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 26, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

beaver with a hard hat

Guinea pig in a crash helmet.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

Slow_Moe posted:

Probably some catchy name, so they can sell it to the backers as a brand new exciting tech... something like FastTree™ or something...

Treemeshing

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

1500 posted:

Treemeshing

Object container Tree-ing

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

precision posted:

Is Bootcha making a new video already or was there some other meaning to the short clips he uploaded during the con?

One of the GuardFrequency podcast team said he was interviewed by Bootcha - they gave him a shoutout on their show. I guess he's gonna edit the interviews/footage he got

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
There's really no problem with using Speedtree. Many AAA titles use it, as well as movies.

Also no problem with the new procedural vegetation that Lumberyard has.

What annoys me are fans who think that it's all due to RSI, that they are at the forefront of those tech. As if everything was created by them any not by any other entity.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

So Bootcha's vid will be ready in two weeks, 90 days tops

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

echothreealpha posted:

There's really no problem with using Speedtree. Many AAA titles use it, as well as movies.

Also no problem with the new procedural vegetation that Lumberyard has.

What annoys me are fans who think that it's all due to RSI, that they are at the forefront of those tech. As if everything was created by them any not by any other entity.

CIG are the first to use said tech in such a broken, janky fashion... then market it

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

The Glumslinger posted:

(Semi)serious question? What's the state of the gameplay? Is it still just trying to retrieve a box in space before your game crashes? Or have they actually added stuff to do yet?
Mining exists, but you need a $700 spaceship to do it. It's also basic as gently caress and boring and repetitive, just like mining in most other games. And you get piddly amounts of money for the time spent doing it, ignoring the fact that stuff is wiped so often that you can't really use that money to do anything in-game.

I find it funny that I've legitimately had more fun going mining in Monster Hunter than most Citizens ever have. My friend and I used an event quest to mine G-Rank material early in MH3U, and it consisted of us going to the volcano and mining all the stuff we wanted while constantly avoiding a super deadly Stygian Zinogre, until we were ready for it to brutally one-shot us and end the quest (while keeping what we mined). Tons of fun, we still joke about deadly Stygian Zinogres when we go volcano mining.

The trick is that the Monster Hunter series is a fun series, and actually exists as a playable games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quavers posted:

So Bootcha's vid will be ready in two weeks, 90 days tops

But I want it NOW

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Hav posted:

Guinea pig in a crash helmet.

Ferret in riot gear.

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%
How many of these ships in Star Citizen actually exist in game?

Oh that's right.
loving none of them.

Dogeh fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Nov 26, 2019

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

reminder for those checking periodically

this is now year 7 ... or 8? of CIG hosting their own self fellating convention, in which they routinely have crashes, gently caress ups, fps drops, umm errs and loads of hand waving, every single year

and this is THEIR convention, hosted by them, showing off everything which is specifically curated to make them look at good as possible

and that is the best they can show, year after year, a janky buggy piece of poo poo mess which they can't even demonstrate for 5 minutes without something glitching out and threatening to pull the engine apart at the seams

let that sink in for a second

and then carry on

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That's an extremely good point. The farce has dragged on so long that for any aspect of CIG you could choose, there are people who knew nothing at the start of SC development, and now have more to show for their skills in that arena than CIG does.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

trucutru posted:

My favorite part about this story is that these guys brains are so damaged by f2p-itis than the price they sold the character for ended in 888.

One million is a good chunk of change tho, I bet he could have used that money to get most of the waifus in FGO or something like that.

8 is a lucky number in China, just saying.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

K8.0 posted:

That's an extremely good point. The farce has dragged on so long that for any aspect of CIG you could choose, there are people who knew nothing at the start of SC development, and now have more to show for their skills in that arena than CIG does.

i mean most of us have been following from the first time Crobblers hit the stage looking like a budget Steve Jobs.

But it really is mind blowing to think of just how long they've been carrying on this corpse of a supposed game(s)

If it had been year 1-2 or even 3 sure we could cut them some slack, as a startup and the struggles that go with it

But these blow hards have taken in hundreds of millions, and spent just as much, with literally nothing to show for it

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Blue On Blue posted:

reminder for those checking periodically

this is now year 7 ... or 8? of CIG hosting their own self fellating convention, in which they routinely have crashes, gently caress ups, fps drops, umm errs and loads of hand waving, every single year

and this is THEIR convention, hosted by them, showing off everything which is specifically curated to make them look at good as possible

and that is the best they can show, year after year, a janky buggy piece of poo poo mess which they can't even demonstrate for 5 minutes without something glitching out and threatening to pull the engine apart at the seams

let that sink in for a second

and then carry on

I just caught up with the thread. I can't believe how bad everything looked. :stare: Like, I had low expectations, but everything was just poo poo. Still in disbelief at the clipping space colonoscopy, bagman, the bear collage, everything. :stare:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SSNeoman posted:

bonus meme:

Thanks, Brutus.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Just read this, and it's pretty fantastic.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-star-citizen-thread-v10.463697/page-508#post-8131758

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

I was admiring the brilliant vista of the dusted metropolis from the glossy floor of the mountainside observation deck as we were waiting for our baggage to arrive from our interstellar liner flight on this "snow planet". My head was still swimming from that great drink mixing machine as a bubbly gentleman in a black linty turtleneck approached me with an offer to attend their business presentation, saying it included opera tickets just for attending. We knew they'd be pushy, but ended up going for the tickets anyway. Can't believe my ignorance about timeshares prior to Chris' explanation of just how much more you can do at a ski resort with one. We ended up getting a really good deal on one of the "core" suites inside the mountain! Can't wait to fly back next year.

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin
Just saw this re-posted without a hint of irony on a local forum:

:cripes:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Diegetic quantum based fidelity

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

"Quantum Based."

You're rolling on a table for christ sakes...

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

¤Istandwithsandi. Poor vp has even been cut from the citizencon, she can't catch a break.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bubbacub posted:

I just caught up with the thread. I can't believe how bad everything looked. :stare: Like, I had low expectations, but everything was just poo poo. Still in disbelief at the clipping space colonoscopy, bagman, the bear collage, everything. :stare:

If you think it looks bad, try playing it. Free fly lets everyone see the poo poo. Unironic protip: take a full system image before installing this "game." You might need to reimage to it afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Zadda posted:

Just saw this re-posted without a hint of irony on a local forum:

:cripes:

I must be missing the joke. My read on it: they're making fun of the outlandish claims of the first panel, and contrasting it to the claims of the second panel, which is to simply give players what they say they want without reinventing the wheel.

Is my read on this wrong?