Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lots and lots of people who are casual Star Wars fans were young children back in the early 2000s when the prequels came out in theaters/on DVD, many of which had their first experiences with Star Wars with the PT. Keep in mind some dude/lady who was 10 years old when AotC premiered would be 27 today. Yes, it has legitimately been that long. Somehow.

I mean. I'm one of those*. I was 12 when Clones came out. It was essentially my first cinematic experience, just a piece of poo poo movie and I have no idea how there can be people who enjoy it (though I liked Phantom Menace as a kid until Clones made me realize stuff, so maybe I'm not the best one to pass judgement there). Clone troopers were always stupid to me.

*I couldn't really call myself a casual Star Wars fan, but I've actually consumed very little of the EU apart from a couple of games (Jedi Knight 2, Rogue Squadron and KOTOR 1 and 2), it's always kind of just been the movies with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

He Force chokes out a single person and the scene is designed and shot as as intensely intimidating, almost horror movie-like mysticism, as opposed to the later prequel nonsense of Midichlorians and recorded Force abilities.

George Lucas modified the subtitles for A New Hope and during that scene it reads "<Darth Vader is using his level 3 ability Force Choke>"

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
sure, the clone troopers are sort of dumb. but leia mentioned the 'clone wars' in anh and it had to refer to something.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

QuarkJets posted:

George Lucas modified the subtitles for A New Hope and during that scene it reads "<Darth Vader is using his level 3 ability Force Choke>"

"Tarkin will remember that"

Phobos Anomaly
Jul 23, 2018
I cant get into the Disney movies at all due to the lack of a John Williams original style score. The music in the new movies is just too subdued and preachy while the original score was more adventurous. I watch the trailers and various clips on youtube and that Star Wars feeling was just never there for me without the iconic styled soundtrack.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
The latest episode of the Mandalorian was another good one. It's a real slow-burn, and they seem to be doing the exact opposite of the movies. Instead of hopping around to 30 different planets and doing 30 different things, they pick one to two locations, and one to two things to do in an episode and flesh it out.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

I really hate that our culture is so atomized and alienated that people think their identity is "liking popular films" and view criticism of them as a criticism of their core self.

Absolutely, in fact-

Owlbear Camus posted:

Those feminist video game criticism videos

:allears:

The ones which state that you necessarily view all media through the lens of your own identity, and which encourage radical action to fix perceived injustice?

I have no idea why a group of people who share an identity would respond to those videos with a call for radical action to fix perceived injustice.

It is a mystery.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

revwinnebago posted:

Absolutely, in fact-

:allears:

The ones which state that you necessarily view all media through the lens of your own identity, and which encourage radical action to fix perceived injustice?

I have no idea why a group of people who share an identity would respond to those videos with a call for radical action to fix perceived injustice.

It is a mystery.

it's about ethics in posting

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Also, really bad movies.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
ok so how the heck is the Emperor supposed to still be alive in this? that bitch blew up, even the EU wasn't dumb enough to make a non-clone emperor return was it?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Walrus posted:

ok so how the heck is the Emperor supposed to still be alive in this?

No one's ever really gone.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
In Episode 8, Captain Phasma died when Starkiller exploded. Then in Episode 9 she died again falling from great height, into a fire, onboard a ship which then exploded.

And yet we all know she's still alive if anyone involved in the production of this film, or even any supplementary comic/game product, wants her to be.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing I might be mad about more than anything else with the Sequel Trilogy is that the all completely loving squandered Gwendoline Christie.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

The Walrus posted:

ok so how the heck is the Emperor supposed to still be alive in this? that bitch blew up, even the EU wasn't dumb enough to make a non-clone emperor return was it?

maybe the "emperor" who got killed was a clone

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

Sheeev

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Owlbear Camus posted:

The real one is called Shev :hmmyes:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Bigger Sheeve Theory

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I hope at the end a guy appears and tells Rey that it was the real Sheev, not a clone, robot or simulacrum.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Rey is also a clone, of Luke's deceased wife. He created her as an instrument to initiate the Third Vergence which will transform everyone in the galaxy into liquid Force.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mooey Cow posted:

Rey is also a clone, of Luke's deceased wife. He created her as an instrument to initiate the Third Vergence which will transform everyone in the galaxy into liquid Force.

Hideo Kojima presents: Star Wars

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Baby sheev

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

finally something worth watching

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mooey Cow posted:

The movie will not have any idea this good or better

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Chomp8645 posted:

Kojima, in response to the backlash from Rey spending the entire movie in a bikini top and booty shorts: "She feels the force through her skin!"

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mooey Cow posted:

Finnji Ikari: "I mustn't run away!"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Mooey Cow posted:

This feels like a very specific reference that I should be getting. Lexx? Larry Niven? Am I close?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Blistex posted:

This feels like a very specific reference that I should be getting. Lexx? Larry Niven? Am I close?

It was a scene from the Ewoks cartoon from the 80s or 90s or whenever

Edit: to clarify, the character from the cartoon was named Rey, but it was just a coincidence. Daisy Ridley cleared this up in an interview a little before the TFA release.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Nov 26, 2019

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Blistex posted:

Eva

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gutcruncher posted:

It was a scene from the Ewoks cartoon from the 80s or 90s or whenever

Edit: to clarify, the character from the cartoon was named Rey, but it was just a coincidence. Daisy Ridley cleared this up in an interview a little before the TFA release.

LOL, yeah that's not it.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Finnji Ikari: "I mustn't run away!"

"Neon Genesis Evangelion"? Or is that something different?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Blistex posted:

"Neon Genesis Evangelion"? Or is that something different?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I can’t wait for Ryan Gossling to Star in Nicolas Winding Refn’s Sheev

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

In Episode 8, Captain Phasma died when Starkiller exploded. Then in Episode 9 she died again falling from great height, into a fire, onboard a ship which then exploded.

And yet we all know she's still alive if anyone involved in the production of this film, or even any supplementary comic/game product, wants her to be.

darth vader also tanked the destruction of a death star at the end of episode 4.

if Darth Vader can survive a full sized death star exploding next to him why can't the emperor survive a half finished one exploding?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

To be fair I got the impression that Vader's fighter spun off into space and got lost/recovered

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Lil Peeler posted:

To be fair I got the impression that Vader's fighter spun off into space and got lost/recovered

Well, to be fair. They did literally show Vader's fighter spinning off into space.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Blistex posted:

Well, to be fair. They did literally show Vader's fighter spinning off into space.

Let's try spinning. That's a neat trick!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

poisonpill posted:

I can’t wait for Ryan Gossling to Star in Nicolas Winding Refn’s Sheev

*Cut to young Sheev destroying a R2 droid with a space hammer while space synthwave plays in the background*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lil Peeler posted:

yeah but how far did he spin away, like a few KM? tie fighters don't have hyper drives there is no way he could have got far enough away to escape the explosion

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Hold on to your butts.

TROS ...spoiler?

It's just a 30-second clip they wanted to show off to make sure y'all get your butts in the theater!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCPiBWrIaSI

(The comments are not happy)

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Archer666 posted:

*Cut to young Sheev destroying a R2 droid with a space hammer while space synthwave plays in the background*

I was gonna go for ‘Young Sheev drives a landspeeder around Nar Shadda at midnight while Nightcall plays in the background’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Antiquated Pants posted:

Hold on to your butts.

TROS ...spoiler?

It's just a 30-second clip they wanted to show off to make sure y'all get your butts in the theater!

(The comments are not happy)

why would they be astounded by jetpacks, anyone can buy a jetpack. its starwars, thats like buying a Segway