Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

they've been trying to turn the entire bay area into suburbs for at least like two decades

I'm really hoping San Jose will become more urban over the next decade or so. Bart eventually coming in is going to help.

I'm not sure if Google downtown will help or hurt, but I'm hoping help...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Weembles posted:

Can anyone explain what the drama is with Groverhaus on Twitter?

Not the grouverhaus in general, I remember that whole saga, but it looks like there's some sort of civil war being waged on twitter about who is allowed to talk about it and I have no god damned idea what is happening.

It's probably one person being a psycho and getting around 2 likes for it and everyone blowing it out of proportion to act like it's some kind of group trend, this happens all the time on Twitter.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

they've been trying to turn the entire bay area into suburbs for at least like two decades

They’ve been trying since the 50’s. Remember how a whole highway used to cut through SF to allow respectable suburbanites to bypass the city full of dirty poors? And the Boomer Bay Area Nostalgia groups on Facebook are full of people pining for the days where the suburbs were much whiter and much blander and far less dense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I found out about 6 months ago that there was a legit idea to fill in San Francisco Bay for more real estate, they even built a huge building-size model of the bay to test it out that's still around and working (the model, I mean. The idea was terrible).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70wkxmumAw

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The model rules, go to Sausalito and see it.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Smuggle in a dozen feeder goldfish and set them free!

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I thought everyone in San Jose just went to all the bars in Campbell or Los Gatos instead.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 25, 2019

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Keyser_Soze posted:

I thought everyone in San Jose just went to all the bars in Campbell instead.

Luckily I live close to a very good liquor store that's open until 2AM, so that's something at least.

But yeah the only place I'm aware of that's open even decently late around me is a Buffalo Wild Wings (lol). Otherwise I go out to Campbell.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Keyser_Soze posted:

I thought everyone in San Jose just went to all the bars in Campbell or Los Gatos instead.

There are bars in downtown San Jose, it's just... everything else

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I'm not sure if Google downtown will help or hurt, but I'm hoping help...

Google campus mean tech workers staying indoors, eating at their Google food court and generally not contributing to the local economy, while putting pressure on rents and pricing out the service workers making said local economy work.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Service workers were priced out long ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weembles posted:

https://twitter.com/donoteat1/status/1199015290828394496?s=20

Can anyone explain what the drama is with Groverhaus on Twitter?

Not the grouverhaus in general, I remember that whole saga, but it looks like there's some sort of civil war being waged on twitter about who is allowed to talk about it and I have no god damned idea what is happening.

There was a twitter thread earlier this year documenting Groverhaus that went mildly viral

donoteat1 is doing a podcast with another person and they decided to tackle groverhaus. in celebration a fan of donoteat posted a short thread on groverhaus, some with some pic I haven't seen before.

a FOURTH PERSON threw a shitfit on twitter, saying this other guy was stealing content from the first thread and using it for personal financial gain (a podcast that has a patreon). they doubled down when it was pointed out how dumb this all was.

so yeah

this is the thread btw
https://twitter.com/BoldlyBuilding2/status/1197999531671130112

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

mocking groverhaus should be considered public domain

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Shear Modulus posted:

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Shear Modulus posted:

GROVERHAUS DELENDA EST

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

GROVERHAUS DELENDA EST

I was under the impression that it had been.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

IDGI. Donoteat's in Nevada or somewhere else back east and the Groverhaus was in... Tenessee? Virginia?

How is this California-related unless... dear god, the whole state is a Groverhaus

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

IDGI. Donoteat's in Nevada or somewhere else back east and the Groverhaus was in... Tenessee? Virginia?

How is this California-related unless... dear god, the whole state is a Groverhaus

It's more that I accidentally posted in the wrong thread and everyone has been uncharacteristically easy going about it.

Weembles fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 26, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Weembles posted:

It's more that I accidentally posted in the wrong thread and everyone has been uncharacteristically easy going about it.

Groverhaus is a board wide pastime.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Groverhaus is the strongest argument for California's very aggressive building codes.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
how well does load bearing drywall do in a 6.0 situation?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The weird thing is, I read the archived thread and it was everybody else telling Grover how great he was, with only a couple of minor dissents. Did the mockery happen elsewhere?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He probably banned everyone who wasn't a sycophant

Weembles posted:

Hey man, it's California. Chill out, have a blunt

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The weird thing is, I read the archived thread and it was everybody else telling Grover how great he was, with only a couple of minor dissents. Did the mockery happen elsewhere?

Oh yeah. That's what elevated the episode from amusing to a legend.

It all happened back when "mod sass" was the worst sin you could commit on SA and grover was a mod. People would make a thread or a post ridiculing the house and get a bunch of finger-wagging and probations/bans as a result. Of course, that just made everyone make fun of it even more, so it just kept going.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Hey man, it's California. Chill out, have a blunt

Updated:

Weembles posted:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why was grover a mod

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Hella.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Shear Modulus posted:

why was grover a mod

Low standards

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Shear Modulus posted:

why was grover a mod
He went around saying he was high up in the military chain of command but then everyone found out he was a contractor and said "well I make like $76k a year so that's like what a <Jargon Rank> guy would make!"

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Weembles posted:

Oh yeah. That's what elevated the episode from amusing to a legend.

It all happened back when "mod sass" was the worst sin you could commit on SA and grover was a mod. People would make a thread or a post ridiculing the house and get a bunch of finger-wagging and probations/bans as a result. Of course, that just made everyone make fun of it even more, so it just kept going.

Did those wind up in Comedy Gold, or are they lost to time?

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did those wind up in Comedy Gold, or are they lost to time?

I don't know if any of that is archived.

I *think* remember there being a good LF or maybe helldump thread, but most of the rest of it was stuff like posts of the insulated stairs with a (USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST) underneath.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the quotes thread linked from the saclopedia entry ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2555) is gone because that subforum is gone, I have archives but I can't access it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Grand Prize Winner posted:

. dear god, the whole state is a Groverhaus

Thread title

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Leperflesh posted:

the quotes thread linked from the saclopedia entry ( https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2555) is gone because that subforum is gone, I have archives but I can't access it.

Link is badly formatted. Try https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3749412&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=118 (might require archives?)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arsenic Lupin posted:

He was a mod at the time so his :qq: was enforced by the police state.

FilthyImp posted:

He went around saying he was high up in the military chain of command but then everyone found out he was a contractor and said "well I make like $76k a year so that's like what a <Jargon Rank> guy would make!"

I think for a while he was a D+D mod as well. (Not sure about that memory though.)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ah yeah that works, but also apparently is just a link to posts from 2016 in a PYF thread that is still open and thus does not require archives.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

DeadlyMuffin posted:

If you think that area is suburbs than literally all of San Jose is suburbs.

makes you think

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

This is a bummer, OC Weekly has broken a lot of stories over the years, especially concerning the sheriffs department

https://twitter.com/ocweekly/status/1199808043870908416?s=21

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
:piss:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/amp/PG-E-blackout-inspections-revealed-218-problems-14871026.php?__twitter_impression=true

PG&E's lines would have likely started 218 fires if it weren't for the blackouts. Jesus Christ, this company is a loving death trap that has us held hostage. Guess we should get used to losing power constantly because of these fuckheads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

:piss:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/california-wildfires/amp/PG-E-blackout-inspections-revealed-218-problems-14871026.php?__twitter_impression=true

PG&E's lines would have likely started 218 fires if it weren't for the blackouts. Jesus Christ, this company is a loving death trap that has us held hostage. Guess we should get used to losing power constantly because of these fuckheads

quote:

The February inspection unearthed rusted bolts but on July 30 the company determined they were not severe enough to “require corrective action because the condition observed was determined to be surface rust only.”

PG&E said it conducted enhanced inspections of about 750,000 electrical structures in high-fire threat areas this year. As of Aug. 31, the company said it had “repaired or made safe” all of the most urgent problems it found.

quote:

all of the most urgent

They fixed what actually physically broke then left everything else in place and did nothing else because who's going to stop them lol