Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Erm, I hope it leads you to a deeper understanding of the nature of currency, Jonathan :crossarms:

Edit: I'm trying to burn 345 pennies for the transformative high that I've heard you get. It's not really working, and it's just hurting my hands. Like, really badly.

I'm gonna give this another half an hour, but if it still doesn't work I'm going back to weed.

Braggart fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuf posted:

I have just recently started doing exactly the same thing down to the 30 minute timer. It's kind of depressing in a "wow can I really not be alone with my thoughts for five minutes?" way, but it works really well.

The key was finding a podcast that's interesting enough to hold my attention but also juuust the right level of boring that eventually I doze off. For me it's "Tides of History", specifically the ad free version that you get with Stitcher Premium. He has a nice even (but not monotonous) tone of voice and leaves just the right amount of silence between sentences.

Also because I always listen to the same podcast (there's a big archive of episodes) I've now built a really strong mental association between hearing this guy's voice and falling asleep. I love it.

Got to say this makes me really happy, Patrick is a great guy. He used to be a commenter on the MMA site Bloody Elbow going back nearly a decade and is just a great dude.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Braggart posted:

I'm trying to burn 345 pennies for the transformative high that I've heard you get. It's not really working, and it's just hurting my hands. Like, really badly.
Depending on the age of the coins, pennies are about the only case where you can get something more valuable by burning them.

It's also illegal, but so's weed so...

Bundy posted:

Huh, a couple of colleagues have asked me if I'd heard the "Gove racism" on Twitter, I'm going to piss my pants if Gove manages to overshadow the attempt to overshadow Labour's anti-racism manifesto by being a stupid white racist attempting to mock Stormzy
Ephraim Mirvis: And we must do far more to challenge the toxic font of antisemitism flowing from Jeremy *Micheal Gove wanders past in blackface shouting 'wig wog mandems' in a fake accent* Corbyn's Labour Party.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Incidentally, #jewsforlabour is showing 11.9k tweets atm, ahead of #britishjews which see,s to be the anti labour tag.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Camrath posted:

Lol, sadly not. It's a pseudonym/online persona/now defunct fursona(insert shudder here)I've used since the 90s.

I am however going to tell people it's what you just said from now on, because that's some funny poo poo.

lol cheers, go wild :)

This is actually not the first time I've accidentally provided someone with their origin story :D

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

forkboy84 posted:

Got to say this makes me really happy, Patrick is a great guy. He used to be a commenter on the MMA site Bloody Elbow going back nearly a decade and is just a great dude.

Oh cool. But now I feel bad for saying it's "just the right level of boring". It's not actually boring at all, it's super interesting.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This is a solid link, and (to me at least) is a lot more immediately persuasive in refuting antisemitism accusations than even a very good but wordy article. If I knew anybody who halfway believed the smears I'd show them this and ask if they know of any other racists committed enough to their deep cover op to do a lifetime of anti-racism work first.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Bundy posted:

Huh, a couple of colleagues have asked me if I'd heard the "Gove racism" on Twitter, I'm going to piss my pants if Gove manages to overshadow the attempt to overshadow Labour's anti-racism manifesto by being a stupid white racist attempting to mock Stormzy

Attention politicians! Do not tangle with left-wing rappers. They are smarter than you.

On second thoughts I'm wrong. I agree with your advisors that you are in fact smarter than everyone. You should definitely tangle with left-wing rappers.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

fuf posted:

Oh cool. But now I feel bad for saying it's "just the right level of boring". It's not actually boring at all, it's super interesting.

Nah, I know exactly what you mean.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lol, the problem with purdah rules is that you have to give Corbyn equal time to refute the allegations , rather than just smother out any other news story , and I don’t know how you can go anymore nuclear than using the chief rabbi at this early stage

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

jacksbrat posted:

Breaking my lurkstreak to beg for reassurance that the UCU strike is going better for others of you in it. Where I am I just feel outnumbered not just by people not striking but people who voted for the strike but are now not taking part.

I get that it's a long one with big immediate individual financial implications, and many feel ill equipped to weather it. I just worry that it's doomed to failure already.

Gimme some of that GE optimism.

Extremely medium day on the picket at my building too but others around campus are reporting good things. The strike is bigger than what any one person can observe and it's sometimes hard to see past the cold drizzle. People came around last time and can do so again - momentum builds.

Make sure any on the fencers know about the strike fund and how easy it is to claim. I got the max amount of money back last time due to my laughably precarious situation.

The anti union laws that have been in place are there to demoralize and frustrate worker action and yet people still picket. I believe JC when he says these rules will be revoked. Labour are going to edge it and suddenly we're in a whole new situation.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jel Shaker posted:

Lol, the problem with purdah rules is that you have to give Corbyn equal time to refute the allegations , rather than just smother out any other news story , and I don’t know how you can go anymore nuclear than using the chief rabbi at this early stage

This just in! Pillar of the community King Herod has published a stone tablet condemning Jeremy Corbyn as a danger to our children! More on all channels and all pages!

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

pitch a fitness posted:

The anti union laws that have been in place are there to demoralize and frustrate worker action and yet people still picket. I believe JC when he says these rules will be revoked. Labour are going to edge it and suddenly we're in a whole new situation.

Indeed. Even if the Tories get back in in future, they're going to have to deal with a vastly stronger workers' movement.

This is what the Tories are really terrified of :getin:

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What the flying gently caress

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1199329988803276802

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
E:^^^^^^^ lol snap

Lol I saw the tweet from the Shape of Water fishman , but I'd missed this response

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1199317059735359488?s=19

What is the specific sickness in the Tory brain that makes them do this

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I really hope this takes off. loving racist shitbags

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Gove taking pointers from Justin Trudeau on how to win an election.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Sanford posted:

Haha that's not me, it's my friend's band. I'm not allowed on social media because I have... views.

You know what I'll give them a reciprocal signal boost. Those of you who like this awful nonsense that is apparently meant to be music, Raised by Owls have a Christmas single out and all the proceeds are going to charity.

https://twitter.com/RaisedByOwlsUK/status/1197603786459688960

Enjoyed that.
Haven't heard of the Sophie Lancaster Foundation before, just had a read. (I was living abroad when this happened).

https://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index.php/hate-crimes

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:^^^^^^^ lol snap

Lol I saw the tweet from the Shape of Water fishman , but I'd missed this response

https://twitter.com/DanielJHannan/status/1199317059735359488?s=19

What is the specific sickness in the Tory brain that makes them do this

Hubris. Just hubris, carefully cultivated by a lifetime on easy mode, during which they are constantly told that they were born to rule. Never meeting any real challenge, they never develop any real skills or intelligence. They are actually incapable of winning any contest that is not stacked in their favour. They underestimate their opponents by default because they are not aware of their advantages. This is why as soon as the difficulty raises a little bit, they fall flat on their faces :D

Of course this applies to the posh ones. The not-posh ones are not pampered like this, but they are misled to side with the posh ones.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JordanKai posted:

Gove taking pointers from Justin Trudeau on how to win an election.

reminder a tory MP said he'd done blackface and wouldn't apologise and it basically got ignored

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Love 2 spend election time doing racisms knowing no one will pull me up on it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/IanLaveryMP/status/1199334430273179648?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I've been feeling incredibly low all day. The non-stop hammering of the anti-semitism drum is just so relentless. I even occasionally start thinking thoughts that are veering close to racist about it. This is of course the whole point - the Tories want us demoralised and doubting ourselves. If they were serious about stopping racism they wouldn't be just so loving *triumphant* about it. Anti-racists are frequently angry, often strident, but always loving *serious* about it, but the Rileys and the Gnashers and all of them are crowing. It's a loving game to them.

Even knowing this in my mind though doesn't stop it working on my heart, though. I think I'm going to take a little while away from any kind of news media (including this thread), watch some dumb films and play Infinifactory. Maybe cook myself loving ridiculous for dinner, do a bit of hoovering, and just get away from the toxicity.

See you in about 20 minutes cos I can't loving help myself, lol

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've been feeling incredibly low all day. The non-stop hammering of the anti-semitism drum is just so relentless. I even occasionally start thinking thoughts that are veering close to racist about it. This is of course the whole point - the Tories want us demoralised and doubting ourselves. If they were serious about stopping racism they wouldn't be just so loving *triumphant* about it. Anti-racists are frequently angry, often strident, but always loving *serious* about it, but the Rileys and the Gnashers and all of them are crowing. It's a loving game to them.

Even knowing this in my mind though doesn't stop it working on my heart, though. I think I'm going to take a little while away from any kind of news media (including this thread), watch some dumb films and play Infinifactory. Maybe cook myself loving ridiculous for dinner, do a bit of hoovering, and just get away from the toxicity.

If you're able to, come out on the streets and do some canvassing - it's a great way to get your mood picked back up.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Isn't Gove a rap fan? There's every chance he's just being stupid and awkward rather than actively Doing a Racism.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Just remembered that tonight is Corbyn's turn to do his Andrew Neil interview.

This attack was timed so he spends the whole interview defending himself from the charge of racism, and not talking about policy.

The whole thing is so disgustingly cynical it makes me sick.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

jabby posted:

Just remembered that tonight is Corbyn's turn to do his Andrew Neil interview.

This attack was timed so he spends the whole interview defending himself from the charge of racism, and not talking about policy.

The whole thing is so disgustingly cynical it makes me sick.

loving hell, you're right.

I'm doing a goddamnedtwisto and tapping out today, I think. Putting the cold turkey block on SA, I don't need this poo poo in my life right now

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've been feeling incredibly low all day.

You are a cool person and an excellent poster. I'm literally saving your last couple of effortposts for after the election when I actually have some space in my brain to appreciate them, because I know they will be as good as the first ones. I'm looking forward to reading them :)

:glomp:

Ojo
Jul 4, 2003

Well... when I said that I had a plan, I meant that I have to plan... the plan.

Purple Prince posted:

Isn't Gove a rap fan? There's every chance he's just being stupid and awkward rather than actively Doing a Racism.
I'm not sure being racist in an ignorant and awkward way is all that much better. Less malicious, maybe, but still pretty scary when he's in a position of political power.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Purple Prince posted:

He's a fan of chap hop. It's awful.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Purple Prince posted:

Oh so it's just cultural appropriation then. Nobody's ever gotten bollocked for that before.

Lmao at the guardian blog providing a bit of light relief for a change.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Barry Foster posted:

loving hell, you're right.

I'm doing a goddamnedtwisto and tapping out today, I think. Putting the cold turkey block on SA, I don't need this poo poo in my life right now

No shame in this. I took a break for a few weeks in September. I may well need one after the election. This poo poo is exhausting. Look after yourselves, everyone :glomp:

Gaemblor
Jun 19, 2002

Sheldon Brown - Better than you think!

jacksbrat posted:

Breaking my lurkstreak to beg for reassurance that the UCU strike is going better for others of you in it. Where I am I just feel outnumbered not just by people not striking but people who voted for the strike but are now not taking part.

I get that it's a long one with big immediate individual financial implications, and many feel ill equipped to weather it. I just worry that it's doomed to failure already.

Gimme some of that GE optimism.

Yeah it's going great at my uni, very busy picket lines across multiple buildings. Tell your colleagues they can reclaim some wages from the fighting fund and get them out on the pickets - https://ucu.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/429/~/ucu-fighting-fund

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I feel you. I've been very frustrated and full of anger today, just so sick of the transparent lies being thrown around constantly. The timing of today's headline is electioneering at its cynical worst, and the truth just doesn't matter.
I truly am hopeful for the election and believe we can win, but man do I hate them today.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Purple Prince posted:

I honestly doubt he's trying to be racist.

He's succeeding, because racism is mostly not in the intention, but in the reception.

If he had an ounce of sense he'd retract the tweet and apologise, but I doubt very much he will.

And yeah, I'd echo a lot of people ITT about feelings generally about the election.

I daren't allow myself hope. I've been too disappointed, too many times.

But if not for the fact that I'm possibly still infectious and passing on a nasty cold to dedicated campaigners at this time in a campaign would be a VERY bad idea, I'd be doing my best to get out there.

For now I'm viewing self-care and infection control as more important.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just remember, Capital will always try to label itself as something other than what it is to attempt to deflect anger away from it and towards others. Don't let yourself fall to these tactics.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

RockyB posted:

Oh so it's just cultural appropriation then. Nobody's ever gotten bollocked for that before.

Yeah Gove is a weird swamp creature and also a bootlicking Working Class Tory, to the point Cameron and Osborne thought he was a disgusting toady.

The right wingers have this tendency to think that they can reappropriate anything they like for an aesthetic and political purpose regardless of how weird and gross it feels to everyone else, because they don't grasp that not everyone sees politics as a funny game of memes where the aim is to score for your team.

This is a middle class disease that comes from not having any skin in who wins or loses, and every young Tory I've met is united by the confidence that they'll be fine regardless of the outcome, so why not play the selfish team?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The lies aren't going to matter at this point because this poo poo's been going on for years and opinions are locked in already.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

The only silver lining is that while Andrew Neil is a massive Tory, I genuinely don't think he's necessarily an unfair interviewer. So he'll certainly devote time to it, but I hope it won't be allowed to derail the whole thing.

Lord Dubs intervention is a great one here, because at least Corbyn can wheel something out to take the pressure off. We've just got to hope he doesn't get tetchy because he doesn't come across well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
I'd like to see him bring up his record of condemning and protesting racism, in specifics. Even as a supporter I'm sick of hearing the same phrases.