Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

When you are beginning in drawing how long should someone spend on drawing any one thing when practicing? Or what is a reasonable amount of time? Should you stick with the same subject in two practice sessions?

At your current stage, I'd say to err on the side of keeping things shorter rather than longer. Many of the most important drawing skills aren't really in the final detail-rendering stages of a drawing but rather in the construction and sketch phase, so if you're just starting out focusing on the "quick" skills that can be put down in the first 5-10 minutes of a drawing like line of action, gesture, silhouette, and rough compositions will give your later drawings a much more solid foundation to stand on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Antivehicular posted:

Apologies in advance if this post comes off as self-pitying, but: what do people here do to push through creative plateaus?

For the past few months or so, I feel like my writing has been kind of stuck. Not in a writer's-block sense -- I can get ideas and write them -- but in the sense that things don't feel very inspired, and the final product is just kind of... okay. Writing isn't miserable or anything, but the experience and product just feel workmanlike, and it's discouraging to think that I'm just barfing out Okay Words and not writing anything of real value. I know the answer is probably that I'm just on a plateau at the moment and need to keep writing and pushing through it, but I'd appreciate some advice.

do you have any irl writer friends? if so go out and get drunk with them and make a challenge.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Antivehicular posted:

Apologies in advance if this post comes off as self-pitying, but: what do people here do to push through creative plateaus?

For the past few months or so, I feel like my writing has been kind of stuck. Not in a writer's-block sense -- I can get ideas and write them -- but in the sense that things don't feel very inspired, and the final product is just kind of... okay. Writing isn't miserable or anything, but the experience and product just feel workmanlike, and it's discouraging to think that I'm just barfing out Okay Words and not writing anything of real value. I know the answer is probably that I'm just on a plateau at the moment and need to keep writing and pushing through it, but I'd appreciate some advice.

I'm pretty sure you dislike me, but here are some words that I hope will help:

It sounds like you are stuck in a rut. I think writers live off of appreciation and hardship, so mix it up. I like SebMojo's idea, get drunk, write a crazy story just for your drunk friends. They will give you a different kind of appreciation.

You could also go down the hardship route, and aim to get published or get an award. I find it focuses me and makes the writing process more enjoyable but also opens up my mind on the difficulties in writing other fiction, which in turn makes me appreciate the writing process even more.

Personally, I think you are an amazing writer, and that you should be published if you aren't already.

Alternatively, if you are looking for inspiration, I would suggest going to either real-life writers meet up, and discussing your work, or expanding your learning opportunities: take classes, go to conferences, network.

If you want, you could also become a slush reader. That is a lot of work, but you can be a meaningful cog in the publication process, and you appreciate what goes into writing a story.

Finally, and the best thing I can recommend is to read your favorite story again. Turn off the critic, turn off whatever little nagging voice is in your head, and enjoy reading. Enjoy this moment, treasure it, and realize that your stories too, will bring that same moment to others.

Exmond fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 26, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

ravenkult posted:

Want that painting

Way to prove me wrong, buddy! :arghfist::imunfunny:

Do you still want it if it's finished and ... 45 bux, including postage? I tried to pm you but you can't/won't receive messages. I couldn't send it anyway atm 'cause our postal workers are ON STRIKE with no end in sight.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Exmond posted:

I'm pretty sure you dislike me, but here are some words that I hope will help:

It sounds like you are stuck in a rut. I think writers live off of appreciation and hardship, so mix it up. I like SebMojo's idea, get drunk, write a crazy story just for your drunk friends. They will give you a different kind of appreciation.

You could also go down the hardship route, and aim to get published or get an award. I find it focuses me and makes the writing process more enjoyable but also opens up my mind on the difficulties in writing other fiction, which in turn makes me appreciate the writing process even more.

Personally, I think you are an amazing writer, and that you should be published if you aren't already.

Alternatively, if you are looking for inspiration, I would suggest going to either real-life writers meet up, and discussing your work, or expanding your learning opportunities: take classes, go to conferences, network.

If you want, you could also become a slush reader. That is a lot of work, but you can be a meaningful cog in the publication process, and you appreciate what goes into writing a story.

Finally, and the best thing I can recommend is to read your favorite story again. Turn off the critic, turn off whatever little nagging voice is in your head, and enjoy reading. Enjoy this moment, treasure it, and realize that your stories too, will bring that same moment to others.

I appreciate the advice. I've had a hard time working up the nerve to actually send things out, but I've been thinking of polishing* an old TD piece and shopping it around, so maybe I'll give that a shot.

* Gutting the clumsy central metaphor and rebuilding the rest, really, but "polishing" sounds nicer.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Is there a goon art discord?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Not that I know of - I'd been wondering about setting one up, but I don't really know enough about Discord to get into it.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
ARTCon Goons, part of GDN. It's real quiet tho, so get in and get posting.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

What's GDN?

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I think it is something that is used on SA Discords to verify that you are a goon. I checked some of the other discords listed in the gdn channel and many of them are dead or don't seem to exist. :(

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

66 days to start a habit. Going to try to draw at least 15 mins for 66 days in a row with the focus of establishing a habit.

Also going to try to reduce how much youtube and insta I consume.

Wish me luck.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
You should consider taking a drawing class at a community college or some kind of a workshop that meets once or twice a week.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

There are some private groups that do figure drawing but I don't think I am there yet. It feels like you have to be at a certain level before going to a legit figure drawing class.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
No you don't. Just go.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Welp. Ok signed up. It is like $20 a pop so I don't think I will go every friday because lol expecting artists to spend $80 a month.

So I don't think I know how to figure draw. When I go there I just try to draw what I see for as long as possible? What would be the best way to utilize this time? It is this friday.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

syntaxrigger posted:

Welp. Ok signed up. It is like $20 a pop so I don't think I will go every friday because lol expecting artists to spend $80 a month.

So I don't think I know how to figure draw. When I go there I just try to draw what I see for as long as possible? What would be the best way to utilize this time? It is this friday.

Pretty much.

Bring charcoal, drawing pencils, a kneeded eraser, some smudging nibs, a large pad of newsprint, and a large pad of Bristol drawing paper. You’ll also probably want a toolbox and an art portfolio bag to carry things in. Then yeah, just draw what you see for as long as the poses last.

Expect the class to be split up into sections starting with short 1min poses and eventually ending with an hour long pose. Critiques from the instructor and other students will also happen periodically. For the short poses use the newsprint and just focus on trying to get the whole figure on paper for now (this is harder than it sounds). As the poses get longer start drawing bigger and adding more detail. The longest poses should be on the nice paper and take up the full page. Focus on capturing light and shadow as you draw. If in doubt, do what everyone else is doing.

Hope that helps. I hope you enjoy your journey to becoming completely desensitized to the sight of another man’s penis.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 2, 2019

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Pretty much.

Bring charcoal, drawing pencils, a kneeded eraser, some smudging nibs, a large pad of newsprint, and a large pad of Bristol drawing paper. You’ll also probably want a toolbox and an art portfolio bag to carry things in. Then yeah, just draw what you see for as long as the poses last.

Expect the class to be split up into sections starting with short 1min poses and eventually ending with an hour long pose. Critiques from the instructor and other students will also happen periodically. For the short poses use the newsprint and just focus on trying to get the whole figure on paper for now (this is harder than it sounds). As the poses get longer start drawing bigger and adding more detail. The longest poses should be on the nice paper and take up the full page. Focus on capturing light and shadow as you draw. If in doubt, do what everyone else is doing.

Hope that helps. I hope you enjoy your journey to becoming completely desensitized to the sight of another man’s penis.

It sounds like I will need to go shopping then. I was hopping I could just show up with a sketchbook, pencils and eraser. I think my wife who was an art history major might have some of this stuff.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
$80 per month is $320 for four months, so that's about as much as a cheap community college charges for a semester.

Don't worry about being good or not. Just go, do your best, and ask for pointers. There's no grades or anything to worry about. It's a place to go practice drawing away from home. Generally life drawing sessions where you just pay a fee and show up are about whatever you want to do. There will be someone there guiding the session and directing the model, but the artists there are there to do whatever they want with their work.

I also recommend this book by George Brigman on life drawing. Practice out of it and then go to those drawing workshops and apply them. Something you can do is just spend one session practicing building from the first chapter, another session on rhythm, and so on.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I have heard of Bridgeman I think. Isn't he the non-andrew loomis guy that often gets recommended?

Also this brings up another question I have. When you say "practice out of that book" what do you mean? The loomis books I found on archive didn't have any work pages or anything. Do you just copy the drawings that are in the book, or something else?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Read a bit, practice a bit really concentrating on the thing you just read, repeat.

e: The sessions I've been to don't include formal crits, but more informal stuff during coffee breaks. Seconding that having a ton of newsprint is handy - cheap paper that you can chew through really fast without worrying about it.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

syntaxrigger posted:

It sounds like I will need to go shopping then. I was hopping I could just show up with a sketchbook, pencils and eraser. I think my wife who was an art history major might have some of this stuff.

You can totally just show up with a sketchbook and pencils. Newsprint and charcoal are usually recommended because they are cheap and allow you to do quick gesture drawings without feeling bad about wasting "good" materials, but a sketchbook and anything you can use to make a mark work just fine too.

Also if the figure drawing group is anything like the ones I found and went to, expect the class to be split up between about 50% college- or recent grad-age people and 50% retirees who always "felt artistic" but never had time or money to do art seriously until they retired. In other words skill level is going to be all over the place from pretty decent to absolutely terrible, and while people will want to take a look at what you drew during breaks no one will offer any form of negative judgement. Amateur figure drawing groups are great that way, in that everyone feels pretty much the same way you do so no one is going to give a beginner any crap or try to gatekeep you out of the group or whatever.

syntaxrigger posted:

Also this brings up another question I have. When you say "practice out of that book" what do you mean? The loomis books I found on archive didn't have any work pages or anything. Do you just copy the drawings that are in the book, or something else?

You can do studies, and you can also take the principals that the author wrote about and try to apply them to your own drawings.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Thanks for the advice. I'll make drawings and report back. So far not many people have RSVP'd but it is at a college of sorts it seems so maybe there are some regulars that have internalized the schedule and just show up. I think I will use this as an excuse to go through some sketchbooks I am tired of looking at.

Thanks with the tips around practicing with loomis or bergman. There is a non-zero amount of jargon when it comes to art stuff that I don't realize that I don't know what it means until I sit down and read the book and am like "how is this supposed to work?"

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yep, know what you mean. It's one of the reasons having a community of artists is so useful, irl or online. That's another benefit of going, getting to know other artists.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I often find language completely inadequate at describing art things, which is why I only communicate these things through interpretive dance. It leaves my posts slightly vague at times.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
don't be the guy who just draws the boobs at life drawing

i can't imagine having the balls to do that publically and with a model who actually comes around and looks at the pictures, but in class after class after class, there's always been at least one, always male, usually old. page upon page of just the boobs, sometimes the curve of the waist or an attempt at the head, but the boobs are centre stage

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they're always the ones who wax lyrical about how they've been doing life drawing for decades too, presumably never drawing anything but the boobs for all those long lonely years because their artistic skill level is, as a rule, quite low

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

on the upside, everybody is always kind to the guy who just draws the boobs, so if you're not that guy, imagine how nice they'll be to you!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've never seen that. eww.

One time I was sat too close at a bad angle for the pose so I just drew the dudes butt at A1 size, that's the closest I've seen.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
in one life drawing class there was this guy who went around looking at what everyone else did and demanding to know "where's the dick?" from everyone who wasn't at an angle to be drawing the dick
"dude he's literally facing the opposite direction"
"but how do you he's a man if there's no dick?!"
"we're done talking."

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

syntaxrigger posted:

There is a non-zero amount of jargon when it comes to art stuff that I don't realize that I don't know what it means until I sit down and read the book and am like "how is this supposed to work?"

All things develop some kind of jargon that makes sense to the people within that group. That's just how discourse communities work. There are things that you and some of your friends talk about that only make sense to that group and need some explaining to people outside of that circle.

Visual art has a vocabulary of its own. You can pick out an art major pretty easily if they call lights and darks "value" instead of shading. You'll also come to learn what the foundations of design are and how you're using them in any of your work. There's some variance in what they are, but generally it's line, shape, value, texture, and color. A used foundations in art textbook will give you a good rundown on what those things are, but Wikipedia can get you started for free. And these terms weren't invented by a bunch of uptight dead white men to confuse people, but are descriptions that seem to exist within all visual art.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Fish Noise posted:

in one life drawing class there was this guy who went around looking at what everyone else did and demanding to know "where's the dick?" from everyone who wasn't at an angle to be drawing the dick
"dude he's literally facing the opposite direction"
"but how do you he's a man if there's no dick?!"
"we're done talking."
I guess it takes all kinds, as the saying goes, still I am surprised someone with this personality is also interested in art enough to go to a life drawing class. I guess it could have been one for college where some frat bro got advised to take art because "Dude! Naked chicks!" or some such.

fauna posted:

don't be the guy who just draws the boobs at life drawing

i can't imagine having the balls to do that publically and with a model who actually comes around and looks at the pictures, but in class after class after class, there's always been at least one, always male, usually old. page upon page of just the boobs, sometimes the curve of the waist or an attempt at the head, but the boobs are centre stage

I am flattered you think I can draw boobs. Sadly my booby-chan OC please do not steal will have to wait a little longer. My plan at the moment is to try to focus on proportion, contour/line, and values. I have tried to do that life drawing timed thing online, sorry I can't remember the site but I think it was suggested here, and I felt really rushed. I am nervous that the same will be for this class and it will be 3 hours of me feeling frustrated and panicked.

With the short poses I'll try to do gesture drawing and not get bent out of shape when it looks off. I watched some proko videos but I when I try his technique it doesn't look right. Proko is ok but I always feel he is low key shaming me for being an art scrub.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Life drawing classes: where objectifying women's bodies is kinda what you need to do?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

syntaxrigger posted:

With the short poses I'll try to do gesture drawing and not get bent out of shape when it looks off. I watched some proko videos but I when I try his technique it doesn't look right. Proko is ok but I always feel he is low key shaming me for being an art scrub.

You get used to it. It's mostly learning to accept that (until you've had a LOT of practice) you're not going to make a good drawing in a short amount of time. You're not really trying to, though - you're using the model and the act of drawing to learn properly what shapes people are, the proportions, etc. Gesture drawing in particular is about learning to look for the action, the story of the pose (sorry, jargon time!) rather than representing the model quickly.

If you want to make a good drawing, you either go to a long-pose class, or develop the sketches you made in class. Not that you won't have the odd really nice pic from class, but it's not the main aim.

Also, prepare for all the models to be attractive 20s art students. I'd murder for the odd old lady or chubby dude, a bit of variety.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
When I was still an art major at University of Wyoming, I was in the student art league and we ran the life drawing workshops after hours. We kept a lot of the creeps out by just telling them the model was a guy whenever they asked.

We also had one model that I ran into in the student union that I couldn't recognize because I had only ever seen her naked.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

syntaxrigger posted:

Really, all you need to do is draw what you're seeing as light and dark shapes. You have to disconnect "this is a person" "this is an arm" etc. from your perception because otherwise you'll draw what you unconsciously assume those look like. As you progress, you'll (slowly) build up an understanding of how things look in a way that's relevant to drawing them

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

Really, all you need to do is draw what you're seeing as light and dark shapes. You have to disconnect "this is a person" "this is an arm" etc. from your perception because otherwise you'll draw what you unconsciously assume those look like. As you progress, you'll (slowly) build up an understanding of how things look in a way that's relevant to drawing them
"all you need to do is draw what you see..." is a piece of advice that I feel describing in words doesn't seem to do it justice. I under stand the advice and I feel like I can do it every so often but I find it takes a non-zero amount of effort to get into that 'mode' and stay there. I assume switching back and forth gets easier with time, right?

lofi posted:

Also, prepare for all the models to be attractive 20s art students. I'd murder for the odd old lady or chubby dude, a bit of variety.

dupersaurus posted:

Life drawing classes: where objectifying women's bodies is kinda what you need to do?

:laffo:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Don't be a creep in life drawing sessions.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

I am being attacked.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I just happen find a special beauty in the male form. ..of the penis. I love to improve my art, and my very self, by deeply contemplating the essence of the anatomy .. of the penis. I feel like my work creates a narrative that the viewer finds easy to identify with, creating a positive interaction, a mental dialogue, between the viewer and the art. Of the penis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Make sure to request a pose with a good view of the penis, and to get them to reposition several times for the best lighting. Get your money's worth.