Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
listen star warriors, it's okay to say "this looks uninteresting and witten by a bunch of louts who have contempt for their audience." it's plain as day. yet the star warriors will still show up. but you don't have to. save your money for dune in 2020. movie theaters are getting awfully expensive these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I for one am looking forward to streaming a low quality cam with baked in malasian subtitles and obnoxious gambling website ads covering half the screen.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm looking forward to RLM's plinkett breakdown and never actually watching it, I've never even bothered to see TLJ even when it hit netflix :smug:

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
It wouldn't even be that bad of a scene if it was just C3PO saying it because that's the kind of dumb poo poo he says.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

In Episode 8, Captain Phasma died when Starkiller exploded. Then in Episode 9 she died again falling from great height, into a fire, onboard a ship which then exploded.

And yet we all know she's still alive if anyone involved in the production of this film, or even any supplementary comic/game product, wants her to be.

huh, that's true. i'm going to be mad if she doesn't come back with no explanation for the last movie now.

now that i'm thinking about it, she should be like, a zombie with her shiny armor, but all burned up, and part of her mask cut off. that would be pretty badass.

The Breakfast Sampler fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 26, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

dudeness posted:

It wouldn't even be that bad of a scene if it was just C3PO saying it because that's the kind of dumb poo poo he says.

yeah its especially weird the way that Finn says it. "They fly now?!" makes it sound like he has no awareness that he was once a storm trooper, and sees them as mindless goons

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

dudeness posted:

Yeah this is what I mean when I say Wheedonization kills every character's unique voice because you're right "oh dear they FLY now!" would be perfectly fine coming out of the synthesizer of the mincing worry-bot. If they really wanted everyone to say something about the new action figure they could have at least tied it in to their character. Finn could say "Jump Troopers! They were still experimental when I was in, only the craziest ones in my batch applied for training!" Poe: "I'd like to try one of those!" Or whatever that's just me off the cuff you could punch it up and make it snappier and shorter in the writers room but actually reinforce your characterizations instead of just having the same line repeated 3 times because you're digging hard for an unearned laugh.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Protagonist posted:

I'm looking forward to RLM's plinkett breakdown and never actually watching it, I've never even bothered to see TLJ even when it hit netflix :smug:
hey buddy

i didn't see it either

:respek:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Rutibex posted:

yeah its especially weird the way that Finn says it. "They fly now?!" makes it sound like he has no awareness that he was once a storm trooper, and sees them as mindless goons

*the gang sees a space ship coming for them*

"They can fly now?"

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yeah this is what I mean when I say Wheedonization kills every character's unique voice because you're right "oh dear they FLY now!" would be perfectly fine coming out of the synthesizer of the mincing worry-bot. If they really wanted everyone to say something about the new action figure they could have at least tied it in to their character. Finn could say "Jump Troopers! They were still experimental when I was in, only the craziest ones in my batch applied for training!" Poe: "I'd like to try one of those!" Or whatever that's just me off the cuff you could punch it up and make it snappier and shorter in the writers room but actually reinforce your characterizations instead of just having the same line repeated 3 times because you're digging hard for an unearned laugh.

This ain't bad, but not as good as the trailers YouTube thumbnail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99Yilm6V4s

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5ddd6360eacdf-may-the-schwartz-be-with-you.php

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it would have been fine if Finn and Poe weren't over exaggerating and hamming it up?

Imagine Harrison Ford deadpanning it and it seems a bit better... maybe.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
chewie going 'auuruuguhg' instead of just repeating the line would help too

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Owlbear Camus posted:

Finn and Poe: Jump Troopers! (they clearly know what jump troopers are)

Rey: What the hell is a jump trooper? (because Rey grew up in a cave)

<dudes do a wheelie and the guys go flying into the air>

Poe: It could be worse...

<50 foot wide gorge comes into view in front of their speeder and all their eyes go wide and everyone gets pinned down by blaster fire from the flying stormtroopers, no time to focus on driving!>

Finn: It's worse.

<instead of helping, Rey closes her eyes just as the speeder is about to fly off a cliff and holds her hand out. The speeder floats over the gorge and one of the bikers drives over the edge and blows up>

Star Wars basically writes itself.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
How come hype for episode 9 is so low? Even the prequel trilogy still had a ton of hype behind it.
What happened?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Infinite Karma posted:

*Rey puts on a jetpack and instantly dispalys masterful flying like no one who has ever jetpacked before*

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

the Orb of Zot posted:

How come hype for episode 9 is so low? Even the prequel trilogy still had a ton of hype behind it.
What happened?

"They fly now?" x3 is part of your answer.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

the Orb of Zot posted:

What happened?

4 poo poo movies in 4 years

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

skasion posted:

4 poo poo movies in 4 years

Yes that makes sense
What makes the sequel trilogy able to crash and burn like this when the prequel trilogy didn’t (even though both sucked)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
^it’s because the prequels were better. Or if you don’t want to believe that, then it’s because they didn’t have to contend with a bunch of built-in hate for the franchise inflicted on them by the previous few movies.

Infinite Karma posted:

<50 foot wide gorge comes into view in front of their speeder and all their eyes go wide and everyone gets pinned down by blaster fire from the flying stormtroopers, no time to focus on driving!>

<instead of helping, Rey closes her eyes just as the speeder is about to fly off a cliff and holds her hand out. The speeder floats over the gorge and one of the bikers drives over the edge and blows up>

“Could be worse” “it’s worse” is cliche af, so much so that it has already been in Star Wars at least once, and if they had done that people would be complaining about that too. Repeating one or two lines in every movie can be cute, but too much of it is not (looking at you Clone Wars, although in that case it’s so constantly self-referential that it has a few hits in along the misses). Writing snappy dialogue that actually works in addition to just seeming snappy is hard, which is why the sequels are packed with self-defeating moments where the whole vibe of a scene is kicked to poo poo because they tried to shoehorn in a joke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yes that makes sense
What makes the sequel trilogy able to crash and burn like this when the prequel trilogy didn’t (even though both sucked)

Star Wars is creeping into "boomer poo poo" territory. The cynical melinials who grew up on the prequels have a "not my star war" to hate now. The Old Guard hates everything that's " the same" AND everything that's different. The screwfly chuds are mad it has a girl and a black front and center. The zoomers have their own poo poo and aren't going for "be me like the poo poo I did as a kid" because star wars is corny poo poo when you came up on a dozen superheroes leaping around in a visual spectacle of lasers and robots. And in spite of appeasing their censors the Chinese just don't care, to the point they tried to obfuscate what kind of movie solo was by titling it "space ranger" or whatever.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yes that makes sense

The prequels were bad but they were at least doing their own thing and felt like a weird passion project by one guy, whereas the Sequel Trilogy a naked cynical cash in that's afraid to do anything interesting because it might hurt the bottom line. TLJ tried to break out of that box a bit but did a really poo poo job at it.

Also at the time they came out the Prequels were considered absolutely gorgeous compared to other CGI of the day. Say what you want about Lucas: he was pushing the envelope of special effects to their absolute limit all the way up through RotS. I remember a lot of people coming out of RotS with the opinion of "It was better than Clones I guess? Still not that great. But man that duel in the lava ruled!" The Sequels have some really good visual effects from time to time like Holdo's kamikazi, but for the most part it just looks like every other action movie these days.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I feel like the comedy is the one tonal element of the OT the Disney Warses have totally failed to ape. Even if the jokes were good(most aren't) they're still overly modern in a way that's jarringly out of step with all the other elements they successfully managed to copy

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think those bike launchers are cool, but the storm troopers shouldn't have jetpacks

more bikes, many more, just desperately launching doomed storm troopers high into the air. a couple land on target and bring the fight to the rebels, but most just crash and shatter on the hard desert floor to be run over by the very bikes that launched them. the despair of war

Infinite Karma posted:

lol...so true

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mandolorian nails its humor a lot better because it's mostly sight gags or absurdities/ironies based on believable characterization, like chasing down a whole rear end sandcrawler of Jawas to fistfight them because they took his rims.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I feel like the comedy is the one tonal element of the OT the Disney Warses have totally failed to ape. Even if the jokes were good(most aren't) they're still overly modern in a way that's jarringly out of step with all the other elements they successfully managed to copy

At least in ANH and Empire what humor was there was diegetic to the setting and the action on screen. It was also more about providing some levity rather than getting a laugh from the audience. Han stumbling through a conversation over the comm or yelling at Chewy that he doesn't care if the trash compactor smells like poo poo and literally kicking him in the rear end so he falls down both provides levity and informs us of Han's character a bit without breaking the tension of the scene at hand. It's also quick and concise. If Abrams were writing/directing the same scene, Han would spend 30 seconds of screen time delaying the officer on the comm with knock knock jokes, and instead of a quick "get in there!" moment Han would spend another 30 seconds bouncing witty one liners off of Chewy as they argue about going down the trash compactor.

There's an old documentary on Youtube about the making of the OT, and in it they interview Kershner who talks about how he balanced Empire both needing to have no flat out jokes (because it was supposed to be the dark, tense Act II low point) but also needed some form of humor so the audience wasn't getting crushed underfoot by gloom. Which is why we get stuff like Yoda trashing Luke's camp or the group's incredulous reactions to Lando's attempts at being smooth.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Sydin posted:

I remember a lot of people coming out of RotS with the opinion of "It was better than Clones I guess? Still not that great. But man that duel in the lava ruled!"

Ugh Clones. People were hooting and hollering at the Yoda lightsaber scene like medieval peasants gathered on the day of the hangman's noose. I have never wanted more strongly in my entire life to will my heart to stop beating.

Sydin posted:

The prequels were bad but they were at least doing their own thing and felt like a weird passion project by one guy

This I will grant the prequel defenders. A lot of kids had never seen a really out-there sci-fi movie before, and there was at least a single vision driving the films. It was a terrible, pointless, boring, Freudian nightmare. But it was something.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Sydin posted:

At least in ANH and Empire what humor was there was diegetic to the setting and the action on screen.

This is a good observation.

One of the few gags in TFA to (mostly) land was the troopers doing a silent about face when they are patrolling down the hall and hear Emo Alt Right Kid is having another saber tantrum around the corner.

I wonder if there was a struggle in the writers room to quell someone's need to italicize the moment with an exchange like "Yikes, again?! Let's backtrack to B Sector" "I know, I can't even!"

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Sydin posted:

At least in ANH and Empire what humor was there was diegetic to the setting and the action on screen. It was also BRITISH

Fixed for ya. Some of the worst moments in the OT - like Harrison Ford in the guard room - are more Whedonesque.

That old "stiff upper lip" British humor just does not exist in the lexicon these people are drawing from. See also: Spock screaming and punching guys in the chest repeatedly.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Owlbear Camus posted:

One of the few gags in TFA to (mostly) land was the troopers doing a silent about face when they are patrolling down the hall and hear Emo Alt Right Kid is having another saber tantrum around the corner.

I wonder if there was a struggle in the writers room to quell someone's need to italicize the moment with an exchange like "Yikes, again?! Let's backtrack to B Sector" "I know, I can't even!"

Exactly. It's also quick and punchy; even moreso than the jokes themselves (which are usually bad) it feels like oftentimes the pacing of scenes is ground to a halt so a joke can be told. Even if you replace Poe's "yo mama" bit with an actually funny bit, it doesn't take away from the movie wasting almost a full minute of our time doing nothing but trying to make the audience laugh.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

RaySmuckles posted:

i think those bike launchers are cool, but the storm troopers shouldn't have jetpacks

more bikes, many more, just desperately launching doomed storm troopers high into the air. a couple land on target and bring the fight to the rebels, but most just crash and shatter on the hard desert floor to be run over by the very bikes that launched them. the despair of war

Stormtroopers spraying their mouths with silver paint before screaming "WITNESS ME!"

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
People like the wise-cracking robots from Rogue One and Solo...

This is the movie you all deserve!

Star Wars: They Fly Now

E: This is how bad the movie looks: I am 39 and this will be the first Star Wars that I've not seen in the theaters (including the special editions) since I've been born. Wait, it's worse! I have a free ticket in reward points at my theater and I'm still not going.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

It's hard to do humour when it's 50 writers in a room trying to scribble down "comedy" on a paper while 10 project managers are staring them down and going "make the jokes more generic so the 10 year olds AND the 50 year olds will laugh!!"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

the Orb of Zot posted:

What happened?

We are 'post triology shitness detection' now.
Back then, people were hoping it won't be poo poo. Like how they hoped for Matrix and Hobbit series to get better.
Now, we have learned from it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Fartbox posted:

It's hard to do humour when it's 50 writers in a room trying to scribble down "comedy" on a paper while 10 project managers are staring them down and going "make the jokes more generic so the 10 year olds AND the 50 year olds American flat-brim hat guys and Chinese peasants will laugh!!"

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

An Ounce of Gold posted:

People like the wise-cracking robots from Rogue One and Solo...

They did?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

The reverse wheelie to launch the jetpack bro was honestly decently rad and they immediately killed it with wheedonesque "wry observation?" "wry observation repeated." "Wry observation thirded!" dialogue.

Josh Wheedon is one of the worst things to happen to scriptwriting in this century. Like for a while the snappy banter was fun and fresh but now that it has infected everything no character gets their own voice and everyone has to have a quip, even the Hulk.

Joss Whedon's writing belongs in the decade that spawned it: the 1990s

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

listen star warriors, it's okay to say "this looks uninteresting and witten by a bunch of louts who have contempt for their audience." it's plain as day. yet the star warriors will still show up. but you don't have to. save your money for dune in 2020. movie theaters are getting awfully expensive these days

lol straight up "Don't spend your hard-earned money on this poo poo garbage, spend your hard-earned money on this poo poo garbage instead"

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wow that clip looks like loving trash

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Find a theater that will let you pay for a ticket for cats but walk in to star wars. It's the Only Moral Option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

the Orb of Zot posted:

What happened?

the Orb of Zot posted:

Yes that makes sense

there hadn't been Star Wars in a long time, but it still had a massive cultural presence (inc. the popular and actually good video games and popular and not-at-all good EU stuff), so it was natural that finally getting the prequels promised by the first film was something people were excited for

then TPM came out and it was extremely not good, but it was also a kids movie that obviously suffered from lack of editorial oversight of pre-existing tendencies in Lucas' filmmaking and it was possible to put a lot (far too much) of the blame on the child actor chosen/presence of Jar-Jar/etc.

but hey it had some good elements (sound track, lightsaber fights), it was still Star Wars, they acknowledged many of the flaws and the next movie would doubtless be better - we'd find out more about what made this dipshit kid turn into Darth Vader, and he'd be more grown up so it should work better

then the second film came out and it did have better action scenes and scaled back a lot of the more grating elements of the first movie - it still was total poo poo, the dialogue and much of the acting was horrific, etc. - at this point there was absolutely lowered enthusiasm, but it still seemed like maybe it was trending in the right direction, we were still interested in seeing what turns Anakin into Darth Vader, and the film itself ends on a relative high note with the intensely terrible story sidelined for big flashy action sequences

then the third film came out and we got 'NOOOOOO' proto-memes and they didn't make another "real" Star Wars movie for a full decade

so that's basically how people got strung along by the prequel trilogy

in 2019 the "it's STAR WARS" cachet is dead and buried by the legacy of the prequels and the afforementioned 4 bad-to-mediocre films in 4 years

in regards to the main films themselves, you have a mediocre-but-ultra-hacky film that drew conflicting initial opinions based on your mood when you watched it, and even at the time people said would probably grow/fall in public perception based on what the subsequent films did with its basic af re-working of the OT's visual elements and paint-by-numbers story elements, and a second film that exists solely to say "gently caress YOU" to those story elements and remove any residual interest in them while simultaneously being tonally discordant and an unimaginable piece of poo poo when evaluated on its own merits

hard to have hype when the only interest in the new film is among maximally uncritical fans of BRAND and morbid curiosity

e:

No Mods No Masters posted:

Find a theater that will let you pay for a ticket for cats but walk in to star wars. It's the Only Moral Option
tbh while you can movie-hop afterwords, you should just go see cats, which looks like the more entertaining, artistically passionate, and culturally impactful (one way or another :v:) trainwreck by far

LGD fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 26, 2019