Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm not really thinking about buying it, but this campaign's pretty funny/interesting:

Necromolds

Skirmish tabletop game with clay monsters you mold and squash. The video really reminds me of those toy commercials I'd see in the 90s like Creepy Crawlers or "The Grape Escape" board game.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 22, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That looks fun and it is reminiscent of some 80's playdough games. They're clearly going for the toy market with product lines, though, and though it looks like it would be fun with the nieces and nephews I'm going to pass. Maybe if it hits retail.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
That's dope. My son would love that. Seriously thinking about it although of course the price of these things is vicious.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I remember a rad board game that had you make these dudes out of playdoh in a mold, then during gameplay if you hosed up you SMASHED them with a big ol' mallet thing and it left a smashed cartoony face in the middle of the now-flattened character piece

those types of board games rule

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Little Wars resolved artillery fire by having you using a toy cannon to fire pieces of dowel at toy soldiers to knock them down.

Modern miniatures wargamers are cowards with fragile toys, but with clay orks perhaps the spirit of breaking things could return. GW make clay ork game where you can literally cast foot of gork and stomp things please.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I know D&D isn't the most popular game around here (for good reason) but this still looks like a project worth supporting:

Sina Una, a D&D setting based on precolonial Filipino mythology, by (I believe) authors with actual Filipino heritage.

And yes, it's on IGG rather than KS, but it's a fixed funding project rather than the scammy flexible funding, so.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Just being on IGG is enough for me to wonder what else is wrong with a project.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

moths posted:

Just being on IGG is enough for me to wonder what else is wrong with a project.

Eh, I think currently it's more likely to be concerns about KS as a platform with the union stuff and all. This is probably the most justifiable time to switch to IGG.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Also, as a side note, Kickstarter doesn't support the Phillipines.

I mean in this case that's not a thing because the project creator is in the US, but I saw a Filipino creator mention that KS wasn't an option for them the other day so I thought I'd mention it.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stitchcraft Press is kickstarting their first published game,
Vigor: Into Dust
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674290270/vigor-into-dust/description

quote:

Vigor: Into Dust is a game about surviving, and thriving, in a withered world on the brink. It is a tabletop roleplaying game that utilizes collaborative storytelling and character-forward framing to help players discover who they are and who they might become. As players, you’ll craft the world around you together, and unearth its secrets, as you play.

The final product will be released as a 150+ page hardback, paperback and bookmarked PDF. Included within the guide, you’ll find:

A story-forward system of mechanics that utilizes 6-sided dice to give you intriguing consequences and outcomes.

Rules for creating characters with awesome abilities and meaningful ties to the world.

A groundwork of story Threads and details for Vest, this game’s setting.

Methods for creating your own takes on the world, and other ways to develop the Threads of your tale.

Pages and pages of art and comics by the incomparable Minerva Fox (of DemigodsPBTA, Hearts of Wulin, and Heavy Metal Sailor Moon fame).

Stunning ink and watercolor inspired layout.

‘Rending,’ a starter module containing four pre-gen characters, and a slew of storybuilding material.

The game is already funded, and their stretch goals are focused on higher print quality and more artwork. A free beta version of the game can be found at https://www.vigorrpg.com/resources .

I have playtested several versions of Vigor.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
"Dispatch Confirmation for your copy of Unbroken from Golden Bell Studios" is a pleasant surprise. Guess they finally found a cheap enough boat.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I've been wondering where my printed copy of Americana was, apparently like 25 days ago DriveThru RPG shipped it with no information except the zip code, and thus it is lost forever in between post office and UPS hell. I'm hoping they'll ship me another one soon.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OgreNoah posted:

I've been wondering where my printed copy of Americana was, apparently like 25 days ago DriveThru RPG shipped it with no information except the zip code, and thus it is lost forever in between post office and UPS hell. I'm hoping they'll ship me another one soon.

Ugh, that sucks. Best wishes for Drivethru to fix it.

I got my signed copy yesterday. It's a good-looking book, although it's not big enough for the hardcover to feel like a big difference, IMHO.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

OgreNoah posted:

This sucks. If they give you the run around lemme know, I can mail one of my spare copies out.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

OgreNoah posted:

While it kind of bites that I've had to deal with pretty bad issues twice with DriveThru, they've never been less than receptive and helpful. Write and ask about a replacement.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This sucks. If they give you the run around lemme know, I can mail one of my spare copies out.

They are shipping me a new one thankfully, I hope they include the address this time. Such a weird problem.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

kinkouin posted:

Considering they communicated the fact that it was their fulfillment company, not the publisher (Catalyst) or the designer (Lynnvander), kinda pointing fingers at the wrong place there.

Never give CGL the benefit of the doubt.

They're the people who showed up to GenCon with boxes of Sprawl Ops to sell while people were trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on with shipping. Lynnvander have bent over backwards to try to make good, but this is all pretty much on par for a CGL project. They are terrible at managing anything.

They're also sill trying to find the kickstarter rewards months later.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Stitchcraft Press is kickstarting their first published game,
Vigor: Into Dust
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/674290270/vigor-into-dust/description

The game is already funded, and their stretch goals are focused on higher print quality and more artwork. A free beta version of the game can be found at https://www.vigorrpg.com/resources .

I have playtested several versions of Vigor.

Are they running out of names for games or something?

TheDiceBagLady
Aug 2, 2015

Annie, Owner of Bad Squiddo Games. No longer a Garbage Dick. Buy my things, they're great!
HEY FRENS!

KICKSTARTER LAUNCHED!

We're onto 15th December. This one is longer than usual as it's very people driven. Want something to exist? Nag for it :D

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/badsquiddogames/women-of-ww2-british-home-front-28mm-miniatures/comments

The "stretch goal pool" I am finding exciting. You can vote for certain things to be unlocked sooner and other cool interactive things.

And we're halfway funded already so soon the real excitement can begin!

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm not a fan of the Conan board games, but the developers are shockingly honest for a kickstarter team.

quote:

$ 700,000 to fund?

- Why is the Conan: Beyond The Monolith funding level amount set at such a high level? -

It is well known that the funding level amount displayed during major KS campaigns does not reflect the actual financing needs of the project in question. Marketing and the ability to proclaim that the campaign “funded” in an ever decreasing time period has meant the systemic reduction of funding level amounts to only represent a PROPORTION of the “actual” funds required to pay for the development, illustration, sculpture, manufacture, shipping , and the various taxes and royalties necessary for the completion of the project.

Monolith ourselves are familiar with this artifice as we have become accustomed to its usage. During the Conan campaign, the funding amount didn’t represent a tenth of the actual financial requirements. During the Mythic Battles campaign, the funding amount didn’t represent a 15th of requirements and during the Batman campaign, the funding amount represented, at best, a quarter of the actual financial requirements.

The problem with this type of subterfuge marketing is that it strongly encourages practitioners to get bogged down in non-financeable projects by clinging to the hypothetical and rarely verified hope of a Pledge Manager that will prove as lucrative as the campaign was hyped to be.

Additionally if the PM doesn’t provide sufficient funds – kickstarter organizers can begin to “rob Peter to pay Paul – diverting funds from the latest Kickstarter to service the debts of previous kickstarters, locking those organizers into a constant need to create new kickstarters to remain afloat.

So, by setting this realistic funding amount, it stops us from taking pledgers' money until the amount is enough to ensure that, in addition to completing the project itself, we are also able to ensure sustainability (ie to generate sufficient capital to invest in the longevity of the BTM product line).

To me, the simplest solution to remedy this harmful process is the reinstatement of an actual funding level amount: the minimum amount required, without risk to the pledger, for the timely and quality completion of the project.

-Paradoxically, why such a short campaign?-

Because, as with the Claustrophobia 1643 campaign, we will not use the subterfuge of Stretch Goals. From Day 1 pledger value is maxed out, what you see is what you get. Any additional content would be detrimental to the profitability of the product on offer.

So, rather than purposely removing some of the game content to put it back during the campaign in the form of Stretch Goals, we think it's healthier that this value is built right into the game and immediately visible. Therefore, we consider it a poor use of time to artificially prolong such a “value for money” product campaign simply to provide an online show. (We think that once you see the offer for yourselves, you will agree).

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
hey this thing is still happening technically

im still doing it

woooo airplanes

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think I tweeted this at you at some point but literally everything you say about this game elevates me to new levels of excitement to finally see it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zurui posted:

I think I tweeted this at you at some point but literally everything you say about this game elevates me to new levels of excitement to finally see it.

Honestly, same.

And for those who missed it, Lancer just sent out a fully laid out version of the pdf, art included, to all KS backers. Right now it's in last-chance-for-typos-and-corrections mode and the Absolutely Really and Truly Final pdf should be getting locked down sometime in December.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I can't find reference to it in the KS, but is Lancer gonna go through DTRPG? That broken part of my brain wants things to be in the same place.

Flipped through the pdf and wow that's a big, beautiful book.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

GrandpaPants posted:

I can't find reference to it in the KS, but is Lancer gonna go through DTRPG? That broken part of my brain wants things to be in the same place.

Flipped through the pdf and wow that's a big, beautiful book.

I am not associated with Massif so don't take anything I say as authoritative but I thiiiiiink DTRPG sales have come up before in passing. If anything I imagine they'll probably have it on both Drivethru and itch.io but itch.io may wind up being more the primary hub for things like errata updates etc.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Zurui posted:

Echoing this.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

cyberia posted:

I think the fault really lies with Catalyst who seemingly took no action after the distributor made a massive gently caress up then spent months avoiding making any sort of statement to their backers and are only just now seeming to get on top of things but, unfortunately, being associated with a failed or troubled project still makes people wary of your future endeavours even if you were never the one at fault.

You're not wrong. I view it as growing pains - just stuck between them being a tiny company outsourcing everything, and the fact that they managed to get such a wildly successful KS campaign.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Oh hey, my copy of Unbroken just showed up!

I'm at work so I can't crack it open properly and have a look through the oddments, but it definitely exists.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

We knew that already, copies were being sold at retail. The big issue was that backers were languishing.

Kaiju Exchange has been cancelled after the designers took feedback on board and decided to revise the game. It will relaunch in Q1 2020.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kinkouin posted:

You're not wrong. I view it as growing pains - just stuck between them being a tiny company outsourcing everything, and the fact that they managed to get such a wildly successful KS campaign.

I found out that Lynnvander is associated with my alma mater's gaming club and I would stay far far away from them for just that reason.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
The Human Interface deliveries are so hosed that I nearly fell for a UPS scam email.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Is there a Car Wars 6th Edition thread yet? The project's already been funded 2 hours in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games

I didn't really play the original game growing up, but I always loved the setting and bought a lot of the supplements. My first experience with Car Wars were the TSR gamebooks.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HiriseSoftware posted:

Is there a Car Wars 6th Edition thread yet? The project's already been funded 2 hours in: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjgames/car-wars-sixth-edition-by-steve-jackson-games

I didn't really play the original game growing up, but I always loved the setting and bought a lot of the supplements. My first experience with Car Wars were the TSR gamebooks.

Man, when they originally promised that in the OGRE Designer's Edition Kickstarter, I was so psyched. I was envisioning it being done roughly like OGRE: a roundup of all the content that already existed for the game (this may not have been reasonable - I wouldn't be surprised if there were way more Car Wars than OGRE/GEV), an enormous box, 3D cardboard models, etc. I would have backed that in a heartbeat.

That's not what they're doing, sadly. I don't blame them, nor am I upset. The Designer's Edition turned out to be insanely scoped even back then and there's been a lot of changes in terms of costs and logistics since then. And this seems to be a more serious attempt to make Car Wars a viable business venture than the Designer's Edition ever was intended to be for OGRE. But I've still lost all interest. The draw for me was never that much an attachment to Car Wars as a game (I've never played it), but the prospect of an epic package that sums up the game in a single giant box. And what you get now is a starter set for a miniatures game. Nah.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

I can respect that. For me, this is exactly what I wanted. I wanted a game that scales so I can kitbash matchbox and hot wheels cars and play the game. Unless they made the cars really really small the scope of car wars was never going to allow a huge big box arena. To get a board the side of ogre the cars would have to be like 20 or 30 mm.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Garlands is a better game IMO. Unless they overhaul the rules that is.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

djfooboo posted:

Garlands is a better game IMO. Unless they overhaul the rules that is.

The rule set is completely new for the new edition. Plus car building is abstracted to a point system, so no more spreadsheets. The gameplay is basically X-Wing with cars but has the Car Wars flavor. The KS has some gameplay videos.

Edit: i see that Gaslands is also X-Wing with cars but it seems CW6 is a bit more complex in the rules. I say play what you want, but I’ll be playing CW :)

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Nov 29, 2019

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Glad they overhauled the rules. I bought the $1.99 version they released and it was 70’s/80’s as hell.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Doctor Zero posted:

I can respect that. For me, this is exactly what I wanted. I wanted a game that scales so I can kitbash matchbox and hot wheels cars and play the game. Unless they made the cars really really small the scope of car wars was never going to allow a huge big box arena. To get a board the side of ogre the cars would have to be like 20 or 30 mm.

Miniatures, bases and turning keys are made for 1:64 scale which is close to HW, so kitbash away!

HiriseSoftware fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 30, 2019

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

glitchkrieg posted:

The Human Interface deliveries are so hosed that I nearly fell for a UPS scam email.

Have those actually started delivering?

I went through a Game Store for that one and it's been a whole other layer of clusterfuck on top of the normal clusterfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

quote:

Kamigakari Core Rulebook Progress Update

First, if you didn't notice, we now have a mid-editing draft of Kamigakari: God Hunters. Unfortunately, the sample scenario is still not included. Instead, let's talk about the next version of the game, which will!

The current plan is to have the PDF out in early Summer of 2020, with the book following in Winter. Please do not take this as a concrete date, but I'll try to keep everyone updated. Allow me to walk you through how I've come to that date, in the hopes of reassuring everyone that this deadline will stick.

-We are currently editing the book, which involves proofreading, ensuring a cohesive tone throughout the book, and catching any confusing or contradictory rules for rewriting. This will be completed by the second half of February. I do not anticipate a post-editing Early Access document being released, but we'll see.

-Following that, there will be a Layout phase, where the art, page backgrounds, and most importantly the final text are all assembled and placed into a master file, from which the PDF and Print-On-Demand copies of the book will be created. Layout should be finished by the end of April. Ideally there'll be a PDF sometime in the first half of May, but I want wiggle room in case something catches fire.

-From there, it'll be in the hands of the new printer (TBD) who will need to first provide myself and Todd with proofs, prototypes of the final book for us to look over for corrections. The next step will be printing the actual books and sending them to our fulfillment pals at IndiePressRevolution, who will send all your rewards along to your doorstep! This takes a few months from the completion of the layout design.

We've Got Spirit, Yes We Do!

Over the past couple weeks, there has been heated discussion over the Numen trait's name. This name was settled on after deciding that the Japanese name, which translates to "spirit," would be confusing or just annoying, since fifty-eleven different things all use "spirit" as an adjective. Thus, numen, which means "divinity." It has been quite rightly pointed out that there has been no confusion for the use of the various uses of "spirit" throughout the fan translation, and that the word numen doesn't really suit Kamigakari's super-chuuni aesthetic. As such, it will be reverted to Spirit for the final version of Kamigakari: God Hunters.

Refunds

Quite rightly, a lot of you would like to wash your hands of this whole nonsense and just get your money back. We've been taking refund orders over e-mail and have determined that as of this update, there are going to be 68 refunds, for a total of $4,359 and an average refund of $64.10. There will be four waves of refunds of roughly $1100, one each month, beginning at the end of December. The cut-off date for pre-order refunds will be February 1. As soon as I know for sure, there will be another update laying out details.

Have a happy rest-of-the-year!

:shrug: