Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

100% a spy for an international agency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [38f] boyfriend [42m] of four years keeps revealing unexpected talents.

tl;dr: My boyfriend breakdances, speaks languages I didn’t know he spoke, sings like an angel, and is some sort of weapons expert, and I never know about any of it until he does something in front of me that lets it slip.

Was this posted shortly after groundhog day, by any chance?

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah no Dave isn’t real, i laughed at “i saw it in a movie” though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He learned dancing the same way that guy in Bulletproof Monk learned kung fu

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

just send her to a racing school so they can teach her to left foot brake properly

Heel-toe is still your right foot on the brake left foot on the clutch.

Ledt foot braking is just wrong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dan Roebuck drives with a foot on the gas and a foot on the brakes and he was California Interstate Kendo Champion

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Recycle, my friends. Recycle and re-use

Bf found sex toy from previous girl while cleaning and was “thinking” about getting rid of it... as if it’s up for consideration?
Bf was cleaning today and found a sex toy from whatever girl he used it with before me. Fine, not a big deal as everyone has a past.

The issue is he messaged me about finding it and said “I’m thinking about throwing it out” and still hasn’t- as if we’d have any use for it?

Am I overreacting? He used this with another girl so why would I have interest in it? It’s gross to me and weird he’d even consider keeping it

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Power Khan posted:

Recycle, my friends. Recycle and re-use

Bf found sex toy from previous girl while cleaning and was “thinking” about getting rid of it... as if it’s up for consideration?
Bf was cleaning today and found a sex toy from whatever girl he used it with before me. Fine, not a big deal as everyone has a past.

The issue is he messaged me about finding it and said “I’m thinking about throwing it out” and still hasn’t- as if we’d have any use for it?

Am I overreacting? He used this with another girl so why would I have interest in it? It’s gross to me and weird he’d even consider keeping it

But what shape is it? Dog dick? Dragon dick? Giant black dildo? This is important to the choice here.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for encouraging my BF to pursue his business idea? Now he's dead broke.

Roughly a year and a half ago my (24F) boyfriend Xavier (29M) expressed interest in quitting his full time job and starting up his own business. We have seperate finances and we plan to keep it that way. I have no stake in his financial success (or lack thereof).

From the get go Xavier's family were not supportive of his business idea. They didn't believe his business could directly compete against 2 already established local businesses in the area and they strongly discouraged him from quitting his job.

Xavier was crushed by his family's reaction. He turned to me for support and (naively) I gave it to him. I strongly encouraged him to pursue his dreams. I told him he was clever, hard working, dedicated and perserverent and he could achieve anything he set his mind to. I encouraged Xavier to live his life without regrets and rise up to the challenge. Basically a lot of motivational crap talk that in hindsight seems stupid now.

At the time, I genuinely believed Xavier had a decent chance of succeeding because he has a brilliant work ethic and a brilliant mind. However, I knew there was also a good chance he would fail and lose money but I assumed Xavier knew the risks.

Flash forward to today and Xavier's family were right - Xavier's business turned out to be a complete flop. There aren't enough clients for the business to be sustainable and he can't compete against the local competition. Xavier's in massive debt (he put all of his savings into the business and also took out a massive business loan) and he's been forced to close the business because he cannot keep it in operation without pouring more money into it. Now Xavier's currently looking for a full time job to replace the job he once had. He's also had to move back in with his parents because he can't afford rent or bills right now.

Although the choice was ultimately Xavier's, I am recieving all the blame from Xavier's family for steering him in the wrong direction. They believe he would have never quit his job if it wasn't for me. His Father believes I fed him false hope and pretty much ruined his life. His Mother sent me a ridiculously long message saying I was happy to let Xavier crash and burn because our finances are seperate and if I really loved him I would have looked out more for his financial security.

Xavier doesn't blame me at all and our relationship is still strong despite what his family thinks.

Was I an rear end in a top hat? At the end of the day it was Xavier's decision and I don't think I should feel guilty for encouraging him to pursue his dreams (even if those dreams don't work out).

I really want to know what the business was. I’m going to guess it was something kind of flashy and cool. No one ever wants to start with something boring but reliable.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Cythereal posted:

The holidays are upon us, and you know what that means: rear end in a top hat relatives!

My (35/F) relatives of various ages expect too much from me during the holidays due to my wealth.

Clothes were the only Christmas gifts I ever got from relatives as a kid.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really want to know what the business was. I’m going to guess it was something kind of flashy and cool. No one ever wants to start with something boring but reliable.

Soap shoes for cats, so they can grind down furniture around the house

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My boyfriend (28M) is mad at me (25F) for trading pictures of my feet for a steam game?

quote:

So I used to sell nudes back in the day. My boyfriend has said multiple times he’s not comfortable with this continuing since we’re in a relationship. Which I’m totally okay with.

Earlier today I mentioned I wanted a certain steam bundle for ~$13 and he said “no we’re broke plus that’s a stupid game”.

Well I knew we were broke but I didn’t much care for him calling it a stupid game. So I went to twitter and tweeted something along the lines off “tfw you’re broke and your bf calls the game you want to buy stupid 😭”.

Well about half an hour later I got a message from someone asking for my paypal, pretty much saying he’d send me the money in exchange for a feet pic. Not thinking much of it I snapped the pic and was really surprised to see he actually sent the money.

Not long after that I’m playing my new game and my boyfriend asks if I just bought it anyway and I told him no someone gave me $13 in exchange for a picture of my feet. Well he completely freaked out on me. I asked him what his problem was and apparently “naked or not erotic pictures are erotic pictures”. Then he said he was going to go to his cousins for a while.

Well it’s been ~4 hours. I asked when he was coming home and he texted me back “been drinking probably like noon tomorrow”.

I really don’t feel like I stepped out of line here but he seems to think I really screwed up. Any advice on what to do?

TL;DR Boyfriend made fun of my choice of game so I posted about it in twitter. Random guy offered to buy it for me in exchange for a picture of my feet. Told my bf, now he’s staying out all night drinking and mad at me.

We’ve been together 3 years.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I really want to know which game bundle set all this off.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Walton Simons posted:

I really want to know which game bundle set all this off.

While we always say this, does it honestly really matter?

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

While we always say this, does it honestly really matter?

Yes because Steam sales started yesterday and we need to know if she's giving it up for a discount

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
If you're torching your relationship, shouldn't you at least get a bit more out of it? Idk what the rates are for custom pics, but 13$ doesn't sound alot.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DemoneeHo posted:

Good for them, screw the other widows. It's like that other story from a few pages back of a widow moving on with her life by dating a friend a year after her husband died.

I was not in the military, but my dad was, and believe me, people who primarily identify as military spouses are nuts. I think gip had an informative thread a few years ago.

people who wrap their whole identity in the military are nuts in general

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
My (33F) husband's family is unwittingly destroying my life, how do I get over it?

quote:

I have been married to my husband (38M) for over 11 years, we have one son. I moved across the world to his country near his family 12 years ago and left my family and friends behind. It was all fine and dandy until about two years ago when his dad got a stroke. I quit my job to take care of him because my husband has a job with insurance and benefits and I was only part-time with no benefits. Which was whatever, but about six months later FIL passed away and it went downhill from there.

MIL (60F) had untreated mental illness and BIL (35M) got into drugs about two years before his father's passing. Ever since then we had to deal with mentally ill MIL and unstable and high BIL. This year MIL was finally hospitalized and put on the medication - however she was released right around the time we planned a vacation. We had to cancel last minute and lost all the money. She moved in with us to get her stabilized - however, I just started house remodel so I had to put all the new furniture and building material into storage. BIL got so out of control so we had to seek a restraining order - however, all the court dates cost me a promotion that I could not apply for because I had too many absences. MIL finally moved out and I was about to proceed with the remodel - however nephew was caught smoking weed with his other side of the family so he moved in so we can keep an eye on him. Remodel canceled again. I had to oversee all the court paperwork, MIL bills, her medication, doctor appointments, I had to hire a carer for her, deal with nephew's school, his clothes, and basic care, plus my own son, house, husband, and I work full time. After all this I ended up in the hospital for three days with heart problems and possible anxiety.

I decided to book a peaceful Thanksgiving vacation and guess what? MIL is in the hospital again! Vacation cancelled, too late to get any money back. I am about to book plane tickets to finally see my family for the first time in five years but I am so afraid that two days before something will happen again!

I know none of the family members are doing this on purpose, but I already "lost" a house remodel, a promotion, two non-refundable vacations, and I don't know how to be a better person to get over it and count all the blessings I still have. Are there any books, mantras, IG accounts I can look at and learn and not feel total resentment towards my husband's family? Like I rationally know none of them is doing it on purpose to ruin my life, yet my life has been ruined due to their actions and accidents. Help!

TL;DR: Husband's family is a mess, every single time I plan a significant life improvement or vacation we have to cancel due to husband's family accidental actions. How not to feel resentment and anger?

EDIT: For those asking where is my husband - he works a construction job and he is a super commuter. He leaves the house at 4 am and gets back by 6 or 7 pm. He can't answer his phone because of the construction noise. I work from home two days a week so that's why the majority of all the work falls on me.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

The best (worst?) part of feet pic gamer girl is that she just sent those pictures immediately when asked and was then like «oh! I got money for it» like she didnt’t really expect it and jus sent them because???

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

Biplane posted:

The best (worst?) part of feet pic gamer girl is that she just sent those pictures immediately when asked and was then like «oh! I got money for it» like she didnt’t really expect it and jus sent them because???

She did it to get back at her boyfriend. The money was incidental. :shh:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My [F 32] boyfriend's [M 24] YouTube channel is ruining our relationship.

Obligatory sorry for formatting because of mobile.

So I'd like to keep this as vague as possible for obvious reasons.

A few months ago i moved in with my boyfriend. He is loving, sensitive and honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. Until recently I considered that dating this man was the best decision of my life. However a year or so ago my boyfriend started a prank/vlogging channel on YouTube. At first the videos were harmless. Common "hiding and scaring" videos or just the occasional vlog around town.

However, now the pranking aspect has gone a little overboard. The pranks have went from mostly harmless to giving me toothpaste filled Oreos or drawing on my face while I sleep. I've told him many times how these pranks make me feel but he insists I'm just "being a baby" I decided I had enough the other day when he filmed a prank at Walmart where he pulled my underpants up in public while recording.

Ever since we have been arguing. I told him he has to stop doing his pranks or to simply leave me out of it. I'm tired of enabling his pranks all directed towards me. He's also considering quitting his real job to "focus on YouTube". I keep telling him not to. We depend on both of our paychecks to survive but he is insisting he will make it "big" on YouTube.

I'm worried.. scared for him and our livelyhood. He did NOT used to be like this.. Am i overreacting about all this?

TL;DR my boyfriend runs a prank YouTube channel and they are getting out of control and i dont know what to do.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My [F 32] boyfriend's [M 24] YouTube channel is ruining our relationship.

Obligatory sorry for formatting because of mobile.

So I'd like to keep this as vague as possible for obvious reasons.

A few months ago i moved in with my boyfriend. He is loving, sensitive and honestly the best thing that has ever happened to me. Until recently I considered that dating this man was the best decision of my life. However a year or so ago my boyfriend started a prank/vlogging channel on YouTube. At first the videos were harmless. Common "hiding and scaring" videos or just the occasional vlog around town.

However, now the pranking aspect has gone a little overboard. The pranks have went from mostly harmless to giving me toothpaste filled Oreos or drawing on my face while I sleep. I've told him many times how these pranks make me feel but he insists I'm just "being a baby" I decided I had enough the other day when he filmed a prank at Walmart where he pulled my underpants up in public while recording.

Ever since we have been arguing. I told him he has to stop doing his pranks or to simply leave me out of it. I'm tired of enabling his pranks all directed towards me. He's also considering quitting his real job to "focus on YouTube". I keep telling him not to. We depend on both of our paychecks to survive but he is insisting he will make it "big" on YouTube.

I'm worried.. scared for him and our livelyhood. He did NOT used to be like this.. Am i overreacting about all this?

TL;DR my boyfriend runs a prank YouTube channel and they are getting out of control and i dont know what to do.

:murder:

gently caress prank videos, and gently caress the whole “stop being mad I’m loving with you without your permission, it’s just a prank” attitude.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

"accidentally" murders you

just a prank bro

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

There was that big prank YouTube channel with the married couple years ago, but they got divorced just because their lives became an escalating thing of pranks and paranoia.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

zakharov posted:

My (33F) husband's family is unwittingly destroying my life, how do I get over it?

I got a mantra for you: "No."

MIL has other family. The goddamned weed smoking nephew has other family and you are under NO obligation to destroy your own life taking care of him. Book the tickets and take the vacation whether something goes wrong or not. Block numbers if you have to. Divorce is also an option.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

I [28NB] won’t spend Thanksgiving with my boyfriend’s [27M] family because his sister [30F] is violent, but he won’t spend the holiday with me because he doesn’t want to make his parents upset.

quote:

Throwaway cause he uses reddit. Also reposting because of accidental potty mouth.

The more I read this the dumber I feel for being so upset, but somebody’s got to see where I’m coming from, right?

We’ve been together for about six years now. We live separately. He lives with his parents as he’s finishing up his college degree. My entire family lives on the other side of the country, so I don’t get to spend holidays other than Christmas with them. So naturally, I would try and spend holidays with him or with his family.

I love my boyfriend very much, and I adore his mother and his brother, who I consider good friends. However, his older sister is a psychopath. She goes on screaming racist rants with whoever will engage, gets into yelling matches over nothing, and has a serious control issue with the family. It eventually got to a point where I had enough and told her off, and of course, she backed down immediately and cried to her mother about it later. Keep in mind, this woman is 30 years old.

She doesn’t live at their home but comes through on almost a daily basis to smoke weed and watch their Netflix. So, there’s no real avoiding her when I come over. She has stolen things from me, used things without my permission, threw my cat into a locked room with no food or water for an entire day before leaving the house (I was visiting family and BF was catsitting), and TOOK A LITERAL AXE to my wooden table that I had stored in their garage in what I can only assume was a fit of rage. If that’s how she’s escalated with my presence there, what else could she do? She also owns a gun and I'm pretty sure she open carries.

So naturally, I don’t want to be anywhere near that house anymore. I don’t know what she’ll do next. I won’t be going there for Thanksgiving, and I assumed my boyfriend would understand and spend the holiday with me at my home instead.

He told me a few days ago that he doesn’t want to upset his parents, so he’ll be spending the holiday with them and if I don’t want to go, there’s nothing he can really do about it. When I try to bring up how messed up it is that I’m spending this day alone, he just kind of goes “Well, my parents invited you…” He’s not being a jerk about it, but I feel like he’s being dismissive about something kind of important. I literally don't feel safe around her. Who would??

Am I out of line for feeling a little betrayed? I know his family was there first, but… Come on. I’ve been with him for six years. He absolutely knows how insane and potentially dangerous his sister is, and why I don’t want to be there. HE doesn’t even want to be there. Being alone on a holiday with no family or partner blows, and I feel like he doesn’t really care.

TL;DR My boyfriend's sister is extremely aggressive and violent, so I don't want to go to their parents' home for Thanksgiving. Boyfriend is still going because he doesn't want to upset his parents, even though we've been together for like six years, and I'm going to be alone for the holiday which is pretty lame.

EDIT: His parents are completely neutral about how vile she is and they don’t really seem to care or see any red flags. When his mother saw the state of the pulverized table in the garage, she just looked defeated and said “I’ll buy you a new table, I’m sorry. I asked her, but she said she didn’t do it.” She absolutely 100% did it. It’s like they’re being held hostage.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm (28/F) pretty sure my friend's (27/M) girlfriend (30/F) tore up old and precious photos of mine from a childhood trip to Notre-Dame Cathedral due to underlying resentment towards me.

I've known my friend for just under five years. When we first met, we were interested in each other and went out a few times but we eventually realized we were better off as friends. The chemistry just wasn't there and the one time we tried to kiss we couldn't stop laughing. He met his girlfriend about a year ago and they've been going strong since. I've tried to get to know her and to be cool with her and all, but she has always had it out for me due to my history with her boyfriend ... which again didn't last long and went nowhere.

Regardless she just doesn't seem to like me, which is fair enough. We don't have to be friends if that's not something she wants. And although it's pretty obvious that she doesn't like me (to the point that other people in our social circle have in fact pointed it out to me on separate occasions) I still make a point to say hello to her and to be nice. One such time was a week ago when I invited her to my housewarming party. She and her boyfriend showed up together and everyone was in the living room talking and hanging out. At one point I brought out an old photo album and in it were a few photos from an old trip to Paris in my childhood. As we all probably know by now ... Notre-Dame suffered a huge fire earlier this year. I had photos from there that were very precious to me, not just because of the fire that later took place before I could visit again but also because it was before the age of digital cameras and the negatives were lost when my family moved a few years later, so the photos in that album were all that I had left of that trip.

I was very young at the time, so the memories aren't that fresh.

Anyway my friends flipped through the album and that one friend's girlfriend was actually nice to me for once. She sat by me and asked me about the various family trips and birthdays and things that were encapsulated in that photo album. It didn't occur to me that she or anyone else at the party had it in them to tamper with the photos, so I didn't think to put it away once we had all moved on to the next activity. The food and drinks came out and I forgot all about the photo album. We played games and told stories and had a fun night. At one point I noticed that she had started flipping through the photo album again, but I didn't really register what I had seen until after. She was the last person that touched it as far as I know.

Once the party was over and once it was time to clean up, I tucked the album away without opening it. Then a couple of days later (last night) I decided to flip through the album again for whatever reason. That was when I noticed the photos from Notre-Dame were torn up. Not just in two pieces or three or four or five or whatever. They were torn up to the point that it would be near impossible to put them back together. Shredded. I ... honestly felt like crying which never happens. I didn't know what happened or how it happened without me knowing sooner. That was when I started running through everything that had happened at that party. Someone had intentionally torn those photos to bits and tucked them inside the protective covering so that I wouldn't know until I physically opened the album again. That is not only hosed up and cruel but also disturbing.

I tried not to let my mind go there but there was only one person at that party who would have done something like that. None of my friends would have dared do something so mean. My friend's girlfriend was the last person with the album. I don't know when she could have done it or how ... but I imagine she took it into the bathroom with her or something and went to work. I don't know. It sounds crazy because it is. No one else would have done something like that knowing how much those photos meant to me. Even if they were photos taken in my childhood house or the old street that I grew up on, they still would have meant something to me. Why would someone do that? How needlessly cruel.

Although I have no proof (other than my memory of her being the last one with the album) that she did it, I'm pretty sure it was her. Every bone in my body is telling me that it was her. When I spoke to another friend about it, even they said so before I had even touched on my suspicions. Also not that it matters but ... I'm not really even that close to her boyfriend anymore. We're friends and we get along really well, but he doesn't give me any sort of special attention. If he did, then I would completely understand her resentment towards me but it's not like that at all. He respects his relationship and so do I. And his girlfriend is mostly just passive aggressive towards me, so her attitude isn't something that's easy to point out in conversation without potentially looking emotional or oversensitive.

My friend has noticed the awkward tension enough to stop himself from laughing too hard at one of my jokes and things like that but that's about as far as it goes. When they first started dating he barely spoke a word to me for months, so in that sense I had kind of gathered the vibe and distanced myself from him out of respect. But we're still friends and at the party we did talk about this concert we went to as friends a long time ago. Maybe his girlfriend noticed, didn't like that we were discussing one of our memories and chose to retaliate. I don't know.

The only thing that's stopping me from saying something about the photos to either one of them is that I have no proof of the fact that she did it. But I mean, who else would have? Throwing accusations around doesn't seem like a good idea. I just don't know what else to do. I'm so frustrated and upset ... and it's so obvious that it was her ... but if I point it out to him or even hint at it, I know I'll end up looking like the crazy one.

How do I handle this?

What should I do?

Apart from never letting her near any of my belongings. That much is obvious.

tl;dr Those photos were all I had of that trip and now they're destroyed. Shreds. It's obvious that she did it as she was the last one that had touched the album before my housewarming party was over and none of my actual friends would have done something so cruel even as a lovely joke. Not sure how to handle this. I'm never letting her near any of belongings again. Do I bring this up to my friend or do I just distance myself so that I don't look crazy throwing around accusations?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
(FL) Hospital Security Guard Tried to Deny Me Access Because I Didn’t Smile

quote:

Background: I am a 20-something female. My older sister is a physician at a hospital. She is hosting thanksgiving at her home this year, so my other siblings and I have flown in to stay with her. I had just gotten my older brother from the airport and we went to the hospital to pick up our sister after her shift.

When we got to the hospital, there is a small security guard podium where the security guard hands out visitor’s stickers. My brother and I went up to get our stickers and when the guard handed mine to me, he said “Why aren’t you smiling?” I was exhausted because it had been a long day and I told him that I was tired and just wanted to get my sister so that we could all go home and relax. He kind of smirked/scoffed and then my brother and I walked away. We were all the way across the lobby when the security guard called after my brother with “Sir! Sir! You need to come back here.” We both turned around and started walking back towards the guard, but he stopped me and told me to stay where I was. So I did.

My brother went up to him and the guard told him that if I didn’t smile the next time he saw me and if I wasn’t in a better mood, then he had the right to deny me access into the hospital. To note, I was in no way rude to anyone, just tired and not very talkative (my brother’s flight was delayed 3 hrs and I’d just spent most of the afternoon sitting in baggage claim.) My brother asked why the guard was talking to him and not to me and the guard’s response was “Because you need to control her. You need to make certain that she behaves herself.” At that point, my brother walked away and didn’t want to engage any further. We got my sister a few minutes later and went home.

One of my friends told me that the guard exercised “tone policing” along with a great display of misogyny. But aside from that, can a security guard reasonably deny me access because he doesn’t like that I’m not cheerfully smiling? I would think that access can only be denied for legitimate threats, not a 20-something woman who is tired and not smiling. What is the legal basis here?

TLDR: Security guard threatened to deny me access to hospital because I wasn’t smiling. Is this legal?

LOL at all these replies:

quote:

A persons behaviour and demeanor can legally be used as criteria for admittance and a security guard is generally allowed to act as the property owners/managers agent in deciding what constitutes a possible threat to the premises and other individuals present there.

(same guy):

quote:

The job of a security guard includes threat determination and site safety. So yes, it is most definitely in the scope of the guards duties but it still probably constitutes an improper action that needs to be dealt with by the employer. Operating procedures and protocols regarding threat determination are purely subjective in nature and abuses or complaints need to be dealt with by the employer. OP was not advised being female would result in expulsion just that not smiling would. And smiling is not a protected class so no, it is not illegal.

quote:

Security guards are sometimes trained to recognize certain facial expressions as evidence of mal-intent. Kind of like how TSA will assume that if you are fidgeting, you must be up to something.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
That security guard must be on edge a lot if not smiling is a problem at a hospital

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Pirate Radar posted:

That security guard must be on edge a lot if not smiling is a problem at a hospital

He's the Joker in disguise and looking for an excuse to gas someone.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (24f) boyfriend (24m) constantly tries to prove that he is smarter than me in our arguments.

My boyfriend and I have been together for around 6 years now. He has always been good with debating, he knows how to argue well and to his benefit. He is incredibly smart and well spoken, to the point of arrogance in some cases. I am not very good at debating, I get passionate and excited and stumble on my words. I am not dumb, it's just harder for me to put my thoughts into sentences.

When we have opposing viewpoints on things (usually harmless things, like today it was the ethics in American pop industry vs. the Korean pop industry), our arguments can turn from friendly discussions to emotional blowouts pretty quickly. I feel like he is very focused on catching me in a logical fallacy and winning the argument rather than having a discussion. I feel like our conversations are competitions to see who is right and who is wrong, rather than just discussing. Once he begins getting upset he begins to use bigger words and debate jargon that I am not familiar with and then gets angry with me when I have problems understanding his "logical fallacy" flags and gets frustrated with me when I ask him to explain them, like I am just playing dumb. He begins to treat me like a child, like I am too slow to understand what he is saying. It usually just ends with me being too flustered or beaten down to continue the argument and I throw in the white flag, calling him right. This never seems to satisfy him either and frustrates him that I am giving up rather than continuing the fight.

For example, the last thing he said to me today way, "You have degree from a liberal arts institution, so excuse me for assuming you paid any attention for your four and a half years. Don't pretend that me "getting heated" prevents you from making arguments when you'd rather stick to whataboutism and bad faith logic rather than learn how to actually make a good argument." I feel like he sometimes tries to turn are discussions into moments to teach me how to argue rather than just having a friendly conversation, and when his tactics to educate me don't work(because they come from a place of annoyance and anger rather than a genuine want to make me a better arguer) , he gets angry. When I point out that he treats me like a child sometimes, or that he talks to me like I am dumb he says things like, "well, don't argue like a child/ like you're dumb" or "I am smarter than you, we both know it".

​I don't really know what to do. He is really smart, but it hurts to hear him point it out like he is so above me. I have a better job, a degree while he couldn't finish school, I am not doing bad in life or anything. I feel like our arguments turn so heated because I am not up to par with him, and that angers him for some reason. I am really tired of being treated like a child or like I am unintelligent and I don't know how to shrink his ego to see that.

​tldr; My very smart boyfriend likes to turn are harmless arguments into heated debates and gets mad when I am not up to par with his intellect, but would rather get mad than educate me.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Dump him and tell him to find someone else to be a sparring partner. People like that almost never grow out of it, left to their own devices.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Time to leave. Boyfriend doesn’t respect OP and is a loser besides.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
She should break up with him by baiting him into one of his debates, giving him a giant wedgie as soon as he starts going maximum smug, and saying “we’re done, loser”. Peeling out in her car after is optional but encouraged.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

When these get explained it often turns out to be a nearly zero skill service business that requires space (the expensive part) and some equipment. Think car detailing. Then you have the vehicle/equipment heavy ones like mobile detailing (where you can go for broke buying a truck instead of leasing space). Landscaping/mowing and food trucks seem to be popular as well.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DrBouvenstein posted:

(FL) Hospital Security Guard Tried to Deny Me Access Because I Didn’t Smile

LOL at all these replies:

(same guy):

Holy loving fire that security guard into the sun

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Not smiling is a classic terror indicator. Hands up who has ever seen a photo of a smiling terrorist? No one, exactly.

God bless that security guard for protecting the hospital no matter what these disgusting SJW types say, terrorism isn't a right!!!

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Jason Sextro posted:

Dump him and tell him to find someone else to be a sparring partner. People like that almost never grow out of it, left to their own devices.

IT's like a super STEMlord thing. It was, theoretically, a learned behavior, but I've found it tends to be rewarded rather than discouraged in a lot of fields. It feels like either a CS major or some weird high-level physics bullshit.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (24f) boyfriend (24m) constantly tries to prove that he is smarter than me in our arguments.

Pepperspray. The answer is pepperspray and then dumping the dipshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Neito posted:

IT's like a super STEMlord thing. It was, theoretically, a learned behavior, but I've found it tends to be rewarded rather than discouraged in a lot of fields. It feels like either a CS major or some weird high-level physics bullshit.

ITs for people who couldn't hack a real CS degree. It bothers them so they overcompensate.