Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
numeracy
This poll is closed.
s*x n*mb*r 69 0.22%
w@@d n_mb_r 420 1.34%
Jeb! number 538 1.72%
Biden numbr 30330 96.72%
Total: 31357 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

wow Nate out there calling centrists racist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Must be working if MSNBC is talking about it and running cover for Pete

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Forced Meme Buttigieg

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

https://twitter.com/andrewelash/status/1199729566048231424

oh no we wouldn't want voters to hear about this dude being a racist, gentrifying shithead because WHAT ABOUT TRUMP

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/RealEnglishMatt/status/1199730026620559360

:words: why we shouldn't have free college
:words: why the highest we should aim in healthcare is cutting the cost of silver plans in half

but sure, a lot of what he says isn't "conservative"

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 17:50 on Nov 27, 2019

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

lol gently caress off

There is a reason why almost all NBA players are above six feet tall. Why most NFL players are built like tanks. It isn't coincidence. This isn't high school sports, this is the extreme top end.

Edit - This isn't to say that someone 5'4 can't beat someone 6'4 on a game of one on one. But all things being equal the 6'4 player will win. The level of professional sports is reserved for the best of the best and there is only so much hardwork and preparation someone can do. Especially when pretty much everyone at that level eats, lives, and breathes the sport.

punk rebel ecks has issued a correction as of 17:56 on Nov 27, 2019

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

punk rebel ecks posted:

There is a reason why most NBA players are above six feet tall. Why most NFL players are built like tanks. It isn't coincidence. This isn't high school sports, this is the extreme top end.

anyone can become 7 feet tall if they put some effort into it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Lmao it's going to be a constant drip of these stories.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

spacemang_spliff posted:

like I could be born wealthy and get hired at through my parents connections but my dad being rich isn't going to help me catch a football

it will help of course getting to go to like a private high school that focuses on basketball or something but a lot of those kids will wash out in college if they even go

of course, that's assuming you dont' get sick and miss a tryout or you don't like blow out your ACL playing a game in high school. but for the most part professional athletes are the best at what they do. but that's like the only place I think I could argue that a meritocracy or something close to it actually exists
The best part about this is the explicit racism you see in sports where the old white managers believe that some people are less good than others at certain positions based on bullshit coded words.

This leads to execs who make millions being impressed a college kid who was mediocre at best showed up to dinner driving a beater Camry since it showed his Hunger to Succeed, and they refused to even meet with the guy who had just played in consecutive national championships, winning one, because he didn't have that "want to look"

Guess which one was white and which one was black. On the plus side the minute they sign their highly paid second contracts (the rookie deals aren't worth much) the white guy is gonna make about 200 million less than the guy who is actually incredible

On the down side thr bears will probably just give Mitch 200m anyways because they're idiots

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being professional level at sports is almost solely genetic.

https://twitter.com/Ke_vindiesel/status/974451541653508096

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 17:58 on Nov 27, 2019

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/GravelierBerner/status/1199450125929762816

I agree that the average Kamala stan probably does drink an average of 5 1/2 grande cinnamon dolce lattes per diem but that seems like an odd stat to put in your campaign email

Serf
May 5, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

To get to that top fraction of a percent you have to have top tier genetics.

sorry, what makes certain genetics "top tier"

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Professional athletes includes tennis, golf, baseball, hockey, soccer and plenty of other sports outside of basketball.

Lionel Messi is the top athlete in the world and he is 5' 7" and born with severe birth defects.

Saying athletes are a result of genetics ignores the incredible amount of work that individuals put in to reach the apex of their profession. It also ignores the class issues as lower income kids have a much harder time getting the support needed to develop their skills.

Do certain sports favor people who are taller? Of course but being 6' 6" and above does not guarantee you will be a professional athlete. It is extremely classist and racist to say genetics is the primary cause of being a professional athlete. No one is born with a jumpshot or footwork.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Serf posted:

*in extremely nyt op ed writer voice* mine obviously

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

6'4", long arms, good build. Is he supposed to look like a pro wrestler?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/J0SHLOVELY/status/1199511479474626562?s=19

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mormonpartyboat posted:

democrats are a mess

democrats are a waste

*walks into a junkyard* hello, is this the Democratic National Convention?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Presenting Nipples posted:

Professional athletes includes tennis, golf, baseball, hockey, soccer and plenty of other sports outside of basketball.

Lionel Messi is the top athlete in the world and he is 5' 7" and born with severe birth defects.

Saying athletes are a result of genetics ignores the incredible amount of work that individuals put in to reach the apex of their profession. It also ignores the class issues as lower income kids have a much harder time getting the support needed to develop their skills.

Do certain sports favor people who are taller? Of course but being 6' 6" and above does not guarantee you will be a professional athlete. It is extremely classist and racist to say genetics is the primary cause of being a professional athlete. No one is born with a jumpshot or footwork.

nope sorry, the members of Major League Lacrosse in fact have the best genetics of any humans on earth for playing lacrosse

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Serf posted:

If I have em

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

punk rebel ecks posted:

Being professional level at sports is almost solely genetic.

pablo sandoval's tremendous girth would agree

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

On the down side thr bears will probably just give Mitch 200m anyways because they're idiots

this will be the least chaotic prediction I have ever made, but the Bears are the new Cubs and people will live and die without seeing them win a Super Bowl

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Serf posted:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
If you don't look like The Pride of Tulsa, Bill Goldberg, how can you fight on the streets for Bernard

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://twitter.com/BlindWillie88/status/1199731787431321601

This is absolutely no longer true now that Buttigieg has moved right and Biden has moved left on issues like climate change, but they're going to say it without citing examples anyway.

https://washingtonmonthly.com/2019/09/04/a-first-step-in-assessing-proposals-to-address-climate-change/

Look how close together the funding for their climate change plans is compared to the other candidates. The first comment on this article is also helpful for once

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Wtf is with this impossible thread title?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Dalael posted:

Wtf is with this impossible thread title?

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-lashes-out-protesters-vote-for-trump-2019-11?op=1

At a campaign event in South Carolina on Thursday, Biden also rebuked an audience member who urged him not to accept money from corporations. "I do not take money from corporations," Biden said in response. "You listen to Bernie too much."

He says "I will prioritize deportations only of people who have committed a felony or a serious crime, No. 1." without even explicitly saying "I will only deport people who have committed a crime aside from illegal entry" as a form of hoping people hear what they want to hear.

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Nov 27, 2019

Iron Twinkie
Apr 20, 2001

BOOP

Is anyone earnestly arguing that the meritocracy is real or are we just disappearing up our butts about if a five foot four dude with heart can be a NFL linebacker?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Oh no not austerity for the rich!

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

I agree that the average Kamala stan probably does drink an average of 5 1/2 grande cinnamon dolce lattes per diem but that seems like an odd stat to put in your campaign email

they know their audience

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

galenanorth posted:

https://www.businessinsider.com/joe-biden-lashes-out-protesters-vote-for-trump-2019-11?op=1

At a campaign event in South Carolina on Thursday, Biden also rebuked an audience member who urged him not to accept money from corporations. "I do not take money from corporations," Biden said in response. "You listen to Bernie too much."

He says "I will prioritize deportations only of people who have committed a felony or a serious crime, No. 1." without even explicitly saying "I will only deport people who have committed a crime aside from illegal entry" as a form of hoping people hear what they want to hear.

Biden's on crack! Nobody can listen to Bernie too much. Even if you were to take every word Bernie ever said since birth, and make an entire speech with it, it would still be too short!

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
WaPo wrote about Helen

https://twitter.com/TonyRomm/status/1199729166733717504

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Free college will end up with some interesting issues that are facing public schools where more people want to attend than there's room , but presumably all the administrators earning 500k can figure that out

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

loquacius posted:

Spending $4.25 on a latte every day is a gualg'in

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

~oUr MoSt LiBeRaL iNsTiTuTiOnS~

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Colleges are landlords

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

turn off the TV posted:

https://twitter.com/andrewelash/status/1199729566048231424

oh no we wouldn't want voters to hear about this dude being a racist, gentrifying shithead because WHAT ABOUT TRUMP

I love this argument because Hillary threw more poo poo (and birtherism) at Obama than anyone and he did fine while Bernie backed off Hillary's e-mails and lost. I wish these people actually cared about historical precedent instead of making poo poo up.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Iron Twinkie posted:

Is anyone earnestly arguing that the meritocracy is real or are we just disappearing up our butts about if a five foot four dude with heart can be a NFL linebacker?

wow, extremely racist of you, maybe that guy just needs to try harder or... be born rich(?)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The premise of that "free college is bad" article is that the federal government won't pay for "free college" so it will fail, but not only is it one of the cheapest programs in Bernie's agenda, it's one where he's explicitly offered a pay-for, as has Warren.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Weigel contributed to this lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I went to a keynote speech at a conference about diversity in STEM and the speaker was some big time NGO guy who had been hired by google. His talk was liberalism.txt.

He talked extensively about how [local public school system] was failing Black and Hispanic kids, because the average Black or Hispanic kid coming out of that school system had some ridiculously low average SAT score. He then went on to mention how in [selective colleges around the area] the minimum SAT was some ultra high score. And then he went on to talk about how in these colleges when the tech recruiters were on campus there was a line of students going around the block for a single internship that could lead to a high paying job. And his take away was that he was going to get google to invest more in supporting the kids in high school so they'd have a chance to compete.

Nowhere in his talk was it mentioned that even if you increased those test scores by enough of a number so that every single new student in the nearby selective (as opposed to the big open enrollment state universities) colleges was Black or Hispanic, and that then every single student recruited by the big tech firms was Black or Hispanic,, you'd still have 90%+ of Black and Hispanic students not attending the selective colleges, and 99%+ not being recruited by big tech.

80%+ of all college students attend universities that are not highly selective. But the liberal concern is not with the existence of elite colleges that gobble up all the opportunities, but that those are distributed fairly. Theres never a question of what happens if they are successful and every kid has a 4.0. Theres never a recognition that selective colleges are exclusionary by design, not because there arent enough qualified students. That the business model of most tech firms depends on a sea of underemployed people doing menial tasks for low pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Its possibly for mere mortals to surpass those blessed scions with powerful bloodlines. But such heaven-defying individuals are as rare as a phoenix feather or a qilin horn