Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

[

Klyith posted:

So the question I have is, why is there no 95 speed heavy? Are there any canon 3025 heavies with slower move?

You could theoretically have a 6/9 heavy with 3025 tech but the way engines are calculated makes it hard. To get the engine rating you multiply the walk speed (in hexes, roughly 10kph per hex) by the tonnage. A 100 ton atlas, for example, moves at 3/5 using a 300 rated engine.

For a 60 ton mech, the lightest heavy, you would need a 360 rated engine to hit 6/9. Above a 300 rating engines get heavy as gently caress and you get serious diminishing returns. At 360 they weigh 33 tons. That’s over half the gross weight of the mech in engine before you even talk about structure and gyros, much less armor and weapons.

Meanwhile if you step down to a 5/8 movement profile you need a 300 rated engine which, while heavy, is a much more reasonable 19 tons.

Edit: a 400 rated engine, the largest possible, clocks in at 52.5 tons. Welcome to why the Charger sucks so hard.

This is also why XL engines make everything faster and free up so much extra room for weapons. An XL360 weighs 16.5 tons which all of a sudden makes a 6/9 heavy not insane and you do start to see heavies with those speed profiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

sean10mm posted:

If you're new to Battletech and want to find the "trap" mechs to avoid using, look at the tons free column of this spreadsheet. Anything that's abnormally low for its weight is pretty much guaranteed to be poo poo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1fnaqQv8nnYpy9gtQm75-D6fmYfNJ5u3OALSIe8ckOuo/htmlview?sle=true

e: Don't throw away the Cyclops-Z even though it's a bit poo poo on paper, because it has the very useful Battle Computer!

#ShitGlitchSays

As a reminder to new players, losing Glitch is a campaign failure condition.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Stravag posted:

Almost entire. The only changes to their characters was editing for clarity and to make them not loving disturbing if memory serves

I think I found the unicorn of KS characters, he’s the only one I’ve seen that wasn’t born into nobility, was top of their class in whatever academy or institute, and was betrayed a thing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

You could theoretically have a 6/9 heavy with 3025 tech but the way engines are calculated makes it hard. To get the engine rating you multiply the walk speed (in hexes, roughly 10kph per hex) by the tonnage. A 100 ton atlas, for example, moves at 3/5 using a 300 rated engine.

Oh sorry, I was using the HBS speed units from that spreadsheet sean10mm linked...

I guess the translation from HBS to TT is
95 = 3/5
120 = 4/6
140 = 5/8

So the Dragon & Quickdraw are 5/8 (140 HBS) and all the other heavies in the game are 4/6 (120 HBS), but does a 3/5 heavy exist?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So is heavy metal the last expansion before they do battletech 2, or are they going to keep going with expansions?

I'm guessing, based off of the flashpoint stories, that the clan invasion is about to be upon us?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

John Charity Spring posted:

I think the Dragon makes for a decent close-quarters platform if you stick some support weapons on it and just brawl with it after upping its armour.

It's not a mech that I'd willingly run much but I got good use out of a pair of dragons in my first campaign when I couldn't field anything heavier (and only had a Shadow Hawk as a 55-tonner).

Alchenar posted:

AC/5 in the right hand, machine guns and a punch mod in the left.
As you say a dragon can work if you are still running mosty mediums and need something that can absorb fire for your lance.

People keep saying this but I've tried working around it because I love the way the chassis looks, and found the DRG-1N simply doesn't have the hardpoints/tonnage to run as a proper hot shooter > melee fit, nor is it meaningfully tougher than a 55 tonner (it can pack 80 points extra front armor, but it's going to have lower evasion and battlefield presence).

It's a real stinker.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

So is heavy metal the last expansion before they do battletech 2, or are they going to keep going with expansions?

I'm guessing, based off of the flashpoint stories, that the clan invasion is about to be upon us?

Timeline wise? No. Clan invasion kicks off in 3049 and peaks in 3050. There's an entire succession war between now and then that massively changes up the way the inner sphere works politically.

Now, they could skip ahead if they wanted, but personally I think just skipping the 4th succession war (3028 - 3030) would feel kind of lame. THere's some neat stuff in there, and a lot of neat piecemeal reintroduction of lostech after the Grey Death memory core gets discovered. The period in the 3040s before the Clan invasion sees a ton of cold war type merc poo poo (kind of like what we're seeing now) but with things like XL engines starting to creep back in around the edges. IIRC the Lyrians start building them again in the mid 3030s.

That said we don't even have any guarantee of a sequel yet. I don't know what the financials look like on their side and what the team over there wants to work on.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
My gut says that their financials are pretty good given that they've had three solid DLC releases, on-time, and with a high degree of polish. A sinking ship doesn't seem like it'd pull things off like that. I would wager that the gate to a sequel is a motivational one, not a financial one.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

How does Called Shot work with the UACs, LBXs and the Snubbie? Does it apply the chance to hit to each round/shot like SRMs, or is it first shot only like LRMs?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Klyith posted:

Oh sorry, I was using the HBS speed units from that spreadsheet sean10mm linked...

I guess the translation from HBS to TT is
95 = 3/5
120 = 4/6
140 = 5/8

So the Dragon & Quickdraw are 5/8 (140 HBS) and all the other heavies in the game are 4/6 (120 HBS), but does a 3/5 heavy exist?

There are a few but they're pretty pointless since the weight difference only gets really noticeable at the upper end of the rating scale. It's not quite exponential because they did it by hand, but it's close. Pre-XL engines the 300 rating was pretty much the point before things started to get really stupid. For example a 225 rating engine in a 75 tonner (3/5 move) is 10 tons while a 300 rating is 19 tons. A 375 is 38.5 and for fun a 150 is 5.5, so you're basically doubling the weight per movement speed.

Now take everyone's favorite needlessly fast assault, the charger:

400 rating engine: 52.5 excessive tons
320 rating: 22.5
240 rating: 11.5

Or the Banshee
380 rating engine: 41
285 rating engine: 16.5

(Also the gyro weight is engine rating/100, rounded up)

4/6 is a good speed since it allows for the unit to at least generate the same to-hit modifiers as it would suffer from movement but still allow for a single turn or elevation change. 3/5 only does that in a straight line on flat ground, while 5/8 allows for either two changes or, if you go straight, an advantageous exchange (+1/+2 for you, +2/+3 for them. +3/+4 if you've got a full set of jump jets)

3/5 heavies are far more common on tanks because of their engine size penalty.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

anakha posted:

How does Called Shot work with the UACs, LBXs and the Snubbie? Does it apply the chance to hit to each round/shot like SRMs, or is it first shot only like LRMs?

I suspect LBXs follow the LRM model, otherwise an LBX20 would be loving nutso and beat pilots to death non stop.

edit: SnubPPCs too. I've got one on a griffin and it's pretty good at farming pilot damage if I aim for the head, but I've never seen more than a single hit.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I suspect LBXs follow the LRM model, otherwise an LBX20 would be loving nutso and beat pilots to death non stop.

edit: SnubPPCs too. I've got one on a griffin and it's pretty good at farming pilot damage if I aim for the head, but I've never seen more than a single hit.

I used my trash dragon to punch the legs off a Thunderbolt and stole it, now I am running around a Thunderbolt with an LBX-20, four medium lasers and some double heat sinks that I paid a great deal of money for (under maxed armour). Can confirm that the LBX-20 does horrible things to locusts but there are no signs of it being a super head murder device.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Cyrano4747 posted:

Timeline wise? No. Clan invasion kicks off in 3049 and peaks in 3050. There's an entire succession war between now and then that massively changes up the way the inner sphere works politically.

Now, they could skip ahead if they wanted, but personally I think just skipping the 4th succession war (3028 - 3030) would feel kind of lame. THere's some neat stuff in there, and a lot of neat piecemeal reintroduction of lostech after the Grey Death memory core gets discovered. The period in the 3040s before the Clan invasion sees a ton of cold war type merc poo poo (kind of like what we're seeing now) but with things like XL engines starting to creep back in around the edges. IIRC the Lyrians start building them again in the mid 3030s.

That said we don't even have any guarantee of a sequel yet. I don't know what the financials look like on their side and what the team over there wants to work on.

Ok, I must have missed the date that this current expansion is happening in. I just saw that the Black Widow and her company are blowing stuff up across the galaxy and took that to be a big flashing sign about the clans.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

El Spamo posted:

#ShitGlitchSays

You can also just give her voice set to any of your mercs. Never play career mode without giving her voice set to somebody.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

My ideal scenario would be battletech 2 plays like a total war game and you’re one of the great (or minor) houses.

Skipping ahead to clan wars is extra appealing if you can take your btech1 campaign/career mercs with you.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't want BT2 to do clan wars because HBS is good at writing and the clans are a giant ball of terrible awful tropes. Even the IS is full of bad cliches but HBS was able to swerve around those by ignoring the large-scale stupid. The clans are stupid from top to bottom.

My ideal pitch for BT2 would be to use those writing chops to make a crpg-tactics hybrid. In BT1 the story was linear and the events were just flavor, so push more narrative choice into the campaign. Make the pilots you command more important than just some stats. Keep the focus small enough that the story can be about people in a giant military conflict, not just the giant war itself.

I've never played Fire Emblem, but I think I'm describing a western not-anime Battletech Fire Emblem?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

I don't want BT2 to do clan wars because HBS is good at writing and the clans are a giant ball of terrible awful tropes. Even the IS is full of bad cliches but HBS was able to swerve around those by ignoring the large-scale stupid. The clans are stupid from top to bottom.

My ideal pitch for BT2 would be to use those writing chops to make a crpg-tactics hybrid. In BT1 the story was linear and the events were just flavor, so push more narrative choice into the campaign. Make the pilots you command more important than just some stats. Keep the focus small enough that the story can be about people in a giant military conflict, not just the giant war itself.

I've never played Fire Emblem, but I think I'm describing a western not-anime Battletech Fire Emblem?

I'd like a game like that, but everything they've done with the DLC points to HBS seeing the career mode sandbox as the real game and the campaign as just a sideshow. I don't know if they're going to pull a 180 for Battletech 2.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Huh. Banner saga but robots-n-pilots?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Give us Our Home Planet to base build and operate from

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I've tried playing roguetech again and holy poo poo the game slows to a crawl while playing it. Are there any mods that really expand the mechlab/equipment/etc. without slowing the game to a 3-4 minutes-per-unit crawl?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sean10mm posted:

I'd like a game like that, but everything they've done with the DLC points to HBS seeing the career mode sandbox as the real game and the campaign as just a sideshow. I don't know if they're going to pull a 180 for Battletech 2.

I don't know that you can infer that just from what goes into DLC.

Campaigns and story are hard and expensive. Career sandbox and the DLCs are cheap additions by comparison. It's made the game as a whole more valuable by making it more replayable. If the 3 DLCs had been more campaign content (Pirates of the Periphery, Revenge of the Taurians, The Andurien Crisis) that each had a couple missions with VO and custom content, I don't think people would be as satisfied. Yet that would have been much more expensive to make.

I think their choices with DLC has been about bang for buck, both to players and their own balance sheet.

Commoners posted:

I've tried playing roguetech again and holy poo poo the game slows to a crawl while playing it. Are there any mods that really expand the mechlab/equipment/etc. without slowing the game to a 3-4 minutes-per-unit crawl?
Extended 3025, but it's not updated for 1.8 yet.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

efb

Commoners posted:

Battletech Extended 3025 seems like the go to option for "more stuff but not a cluster gently caress like Roguetech "

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

I don't actually mind the clusterfuckiness of the mechs and equipment floating around, just the horrible slowdown fwiw.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
BE3025 adds mechs and weapons right? Anything add additional contracts where you can bring more than 1 lance or has weight/cost restrictions? Doesn't roguetech do some of that?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Lockback posted:

BE3025 adds mechs and weapons right? Anything add additional contracts where you can bring more than 1 lance or has weight/cost restrictions? Doesn't roguetech do some of that?

Roguetech does a lot of things that I legitimately enjoy, but the game grinds to a halt because of the way that battletech's AI thinks. It calculates every single node that it can move to along with every single action that can be done at those nodes to find the optimal choice, so when you have mechs that have MASC, huge engines, improved JJs, and can fire all of their weapons while using any of those with a sprint or long jump, it ends up taking literal minutes for a single mech or vehicle to decide what to do.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sean10mm posted:

efb

Battletech Extended 3025 seems like the go to option for "more stuff but not a cluster gently caress like Roguetech "

BE3025 or XLRP, but neither are updated

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think that the framework of the game seems solid enough that they don't even have to make a sequel. Like what features would you even want to add that require a whole game mechanics update that needs a sequel aside from straight up Clan stuff (bargaining, zellbrigen, elementals, etc)

I guess you could say that multi lance functionality might be good but I think a Lance (or a Star I guess...) is pretty much the sweet spot for the average player to control.

Oriental Hugs
Jun 15, 2001

Nothin' about hugs, though
Does the main campaign get the new exps mechs and weapons? Like new events or is it only the new career mode that gets mod updates?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Klyith posted:

So the question I have is, why is there no 95 speed heavy? Are there any canon 3025 heavies with slower move?

The Hammerhands is a Warhammer predecessor with dual AC10s. It's one of the many Legally Distinct From The Actual Warhammer mechs, but it's actually good so it kinda has a following of its own.

Master Unit List and Sarna say there's a 75t Stalker variant too but I've never heard of it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

El Spamo posted:

#ShitGlitchSays

:hmmyes:

Glitch for BattleTech 2.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I think we’ll get a second season for Battletech, a new HBS game (maybe another Shadowrun), and then maybe we’ll get BT2.

Selling quarterly expansions is Paradox’s bread’n butter, so I don’t seeing them changing that policy anytime soon now that they own HBS.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Oriental Hugs posted:

Does the main campaign get the new exps mechs and weapons? Like new events or is it only the new career mode that gets mod updates?

Yeah, just not in the main story missions. My random 2.5 skull contracts were suddenly full of Archers and Thunderbolts and Riflemen after HM dropped.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
the core gameplay is really great and doesn't need too much iteration. what I'd really like to see is more detail in the strategic elements. So things like, more granularity when negotiation contracts, a kind of expanded Flashpoint system (or something similar to MW4: Mercs) where you play out an entire campaign on a single world, more kinds of missions where using lights or mediums is required, a greater degree of choice in pilot skills (Glitch has been in my Atlas-II for like five years now, I'm pretty sure she should have some bonuses to being in it), etc.

very excited to see where the game ends up a few years down the line!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The one thing I wish I could steal from XCOM2 for Battletech is the class system. Each class gets a standard class-defining ability, and then each subsequent level up presents a choice between 2 abilities that basically separate the class into two subclasses (like a brawler that specializes in short range guns vs. a brawler that's melee/support weapon/DFA-centric), or a mix of the two.

Brawlers could have abilities like performing a melee attack at the end of a sprint, reduced DFA self damage, support weapon bonuses, melee attack called shots, and so on to make them distinct.

Like imagine you level up your brawler class merc and get to choose between, I dunno, Coolant Vent vs. Sprint to Melee. If you want to punch all the time, coolant vent is irrelevant because punching is how you cool off, and being able to punch after covering more ground effectively increases your "weapon" range. if you want to just constantly shoot your UAC20 then you go the other way. Stuff like that.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Lawman 0 posted:

Excuse me what? :stare:

So read through the pilot histories of people like ice trey where theyre talking about searching the cosmos for the girl they love who is like their lottle sister or whatever and realize that the backstory was probably way cringeyer originally before kiva's poor wife had to read and edit them. Theres like one pilot whos hireable because they arent a messiah from on high or the backstory makes the creator sound like a daterapist

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Stravag posted:

So read through the pilot histories of people like ice trey where theyre talking about searching the cosmos for the girl they love who is like their lottle sister or whatever and realize that the backstory was probably way cringeyer originally before kiva's poor wife had to read and edit them. Theres like one pilot whos hireable because they arent a messiah from on high or the backstory makes the creator sound like a daterapist

War Boar posted:

Siegfried Krauss, born to a noble Lyran lineage, educated at the best Lyran school, and appointed to the most prestigious and safest of positions in, has a nemesis.

It's his only explanation for how he could go from that most prestigious of positions, to enlisting in a BattleMech corps. It's his explanation for how he went from a ranking position in the BattleMech corps to wandering the Inner Sphere. It's even his explanation for how, once he settled at Solaris Vii and built up his own stable, he threw it all away to become a mercenary in the Periphery.

Siegfried Krauss doesn't deal with breakups very well at all. But he can't seem to help falling in love. And, of course, who can resist falling in love with him? If only they'd stay in love. If only all sparkling-eyed brunettes would just stay away. If only, once the relationship ended, he could stand to stay where once he'd had so many happy memories. But he can't. It simply hurts too much.

edit: lol look at the "Strategy" section on the official battletech wiki, someone hates this weirdo more than I do: https://battletech.gamepedia.com/War_Boar

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 27, 2019

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Cease to Hope posted:

The Hammerhands is a Warhammer predecessor with dual AC10s. It's one of the many Legally Distinct From The Actual Warhammer mechs, but it's actually good so it kinda has a following of its own.

Master Unit List and Sarna say there's a 75t Stalker variant too but I've never heard of it.

Won't lie, I love the Hammerhands, along with a lot of other 'Mechs of the era that have been phased out of service for one reason or another. Another personal favorite of mine is the Swordsman, which was a trooper 'Mech used by the losing side of the Davion Civil War, which they obviously stopped producing because, well, they lost and the winners weren't too keen on picking up a contract for the flagship Battlemech of the enemy they had just vanquished.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Oriental Hugs posted:

The DLC gear and mechs shows up in campaign mode, yes. The Flashpoints are locked until you finish the campaign though (although that's moddable and I highly recommend it). They even rescripted some of the campaign with Heavy Metal, including stuff like having all instances of "artillery" in missions that used to be represented by massed LRMs changed to actual artillery shells (because now there's artillery graphics).

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

edit: lol look at the "Strategy" section on the official battletech wiki, someone hates this weirdo more than I do: https://battletech.gamepedia.com/War_Boar

It's my personal theory the stats are rooted to how much kiva's wide hatred or had to fix the backstory. Is the only reason i can think of you have pilots like God who start as a 1/1/1/6 pilot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Started a new Career and loot boxed a Vulcan, Coil-S, and a Coil-M. Put the Coil-M on a Jenner and the -S on the Vulcan and I'm just running around blasting people like it's no big deal. Very satisfying.