Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

It's not the dreaded vote of confidence so isn't that good? Like either way we're judging this as a bad thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

coughlins probably the guy i would least expect would do vote of confidence games. i don't think it means anything.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mike Freeman, however clued in he is, is saying that Garrett would need to win the Super Bowl to keep his job and they're interested in McDaniels and Urban Meyer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864206-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-at-long-last-change-is-in-the-air-in-dallas

Urbz as a NFL coach will be really funny if he keeps his OSU playbook

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I don’t see any way Urban leaves an effortless TV gig to deal with Jerry. If he took an NFL job, it would be Jacksonville.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Haven't there been a lot of reports about Coughlin meddling or otherwise loving up relations between players and the team?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
The jags should hire hue Jackson

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Manoueverable posted:

Haven't there been a lot of reports about Coughlin meddling or otherwise loving up relations between players and the team?

Same poo poo as in New York. He’ll always be one of those old white dipshits that thinks your entire life should be fealty to your employer.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't understand why the Cowboys don't fire Garrett right now and make Kris Richard the Head Coach. The team is clearly not going to win poo poo with Garrett at the helm and if you fire him this off-season you're going to have to dismantle the rest of the staff for a new guy, while the rest of the staff may not actually be that bad. Richard is going to be an interview candidate on the carousel this off-season, why not give it a spin now?

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Urban would be interesting. If I had to put money on it though I'd say Urban would end up like Saban rather than Jimmy Johnson or Pete Carrol.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Manoueverable posted:

Process of elimination he's why Ramsey wanted out of Jacksonville. It seems likely that he's also why Telvin Smith took the entire season off.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DariusLikewise posted:

I don't understand why the Cowboys don't fire Garrett right now and make Kris Richard the Head Coach. The team is clearly not going to win poo poo with Garrett at the helm and if you fire him this off-season you're going to have to dismantle the rest of the staff for a new guy, while the rest of the staff may not actually be that bad. Richard is going to be an interview candidate on the carousel this off-season, why not give it a spin now?

Isn’t this the same process that led them from Wade to Garrett in the first place? The only difference is Jerry loves (Or loved, anyway) Garrett and I’ve not heard that he has the same man-crush for Richard.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

DariusLikewise posted:

We talked about this about a month or so ago in the thread and I pulled together some stats showing that interim coaches who became head coaches almost universally were garbage. Amusingly, Garrett was one of the few exceptions.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Oh sorry, not interim coaches specifically, just coaches who were replacing mid-season firings. Some, not all, were interim coaches who got the successor's mantle.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Teams that fired coach midseason, since 2000 with (their replacements in parentheses). I THINK I got them all, not sure.

quote:

00 Bengals: Bruce Coslet (Dick LeBeau)
00 Cardinals: Vince Tobin (Dave McGinnis)
00 Lions: Bobby Ross (Marty Mornhinweg)
00 Skins: Norv Turner (Marty Schottenheimer)
01 Vikings: Dennis Green (Mike Tice)
03 Falcons: Dan Reeves (Jim Mora Jr)
04 Browns: Butch Davis (Romeo Crennel)
05 Rams: Mike Martz (Scott Linehan)
05 Lions: Steve Maruicci (Rod Marinelli)
07 Falcons: Bobby Petrino (Mike Smith)

08 Rams: Scott Linehan (Steve Spagnuolo)
08 Raiders: Lane Kiffin (Tom Cable)
08 Niners: Mike Nolan (Mike Singletary)
09 Bills: Dick Jauron (Chan Gailey)
10 Cowboys: Wade Phillips (Jason Garrett)
10 Vikings: Brad Childress (Leslie Frazier)
11 Jaguars: Jack Del Rio (Mike Mularkey)
11 Dolphins: Tony Sparano (Joe Philbin)
11 Chiefs: Todd Haley (Romeo Crennel)
14 Raiders: Dennis Allen (Jack Del Rio)
15 Dolphins: Joe Philbin (Adam Gase)
15 Titans: Ken Whisenhunt (Mike Mularkey)
15 Eagles: Chip Kelly (Doug Pederson)
16 Bills: Rex Ryan (Sean McDermott)
16 Jaguars: Gus Bradley (Doug Marrone)
16 Rams: Jeff Fisher (Sean McVay)
17 Giants: Ben McAdoo (Pat Shurmur)
18 Packers: Mike McCarthy (Matt LaFleur)* pending
18 Browns: Hue Jackson (Freddie Kitchens)

This is... pretty bad!

edit: Given McDermott took the Bills to the playoffs already and is now 8-3, I wonder if he deserves to be bolded as a successful replacement alongside Smith, Garrett, Pederson, and McVay?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

fartknocker posted:

Isn’t this the same process that led them from Wade to Garrett in the first place? The only difference is Jerry loves (Or loved, anyway) Garrett and I’ve not heard that he has the same man-crush for Richard.

Wade got fired because he started the season 1-7 and Jerry Jones was ready to pull the trigger at whatever chance he could get to make Garrett head coach

SKULL.GIF posted:

We talked about this about a month or so ago in the thread and I pulled together some stats showing that interim coaches who became head coaches almost universally were garbage. Amusingly, Garrett was one of the few exceptions.

Most of the those teams are trash already though, I would argue that it's become completely clear that the Cowboys are an incredibly talented team being held back by their head coach. They have this year and next year before they really starting feeling the cap pressure to make any wholesale changes and any more of that time spent with Garrett as head coach is wasted.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
I would barely count Rex Ryan as a mid season firing because he basically asked them to fire him after the Week 16 game because he didn’t see any point in waiting another week

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DariusLikewise posted:

Wade got fired because he started the season 1-7 and Jerry Jones was ready to pull the trigger at whatever chance he could get to make Garrett head coach

Garrett must come off much better in private conversations (or know how to Jerry-speak) than he does in the press, because nothing I know about the man makes me like him at all. And even if he gets fired this year Jerry loved him for a long time for reasons I don't understand.

Like, Romeo Crennel was absolute poo poo as a head coach but at least he was a likeable person. Rex Ryan had some appeal with his bluster. Garrett is just...there doing dumb poo poo and has been for 10 years.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Garrett's in the last year of his contract so he won't even get fired, they'll just do a "mutually agreed to part ways" that tries to save face on all sides. Which is probably why his agent is planting Giants rumors right now.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

Like, Romeo Crennel was absolute poo poo as a head coach but at least he was a likeable person. Rex Ryan had some appeal with his bluster. Garrett is just...there doing dumb poo poo and has been for 10 years.

On Barnwell's podcast he mentioned how he was part of a discussion panel during the Sloan MIT analytics conference one year almost a decade ago and used Garrett specifically as an example of who fucks up on 4th down constantly and then he realized Garrett was in the audience.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Kalli posted:

On Barnwell's podcast he mentioned how he was part of a discussion panel during the Sloan MIT analytics conference one year almost a decade ago and used Garrett specifically as an example of who fucks up on 4th down constantly and then he realized Garrett was in the audience.

Hahah amazing.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

SKULL.GIF posted:

That's way too much data to sift through :colbert:

I already spent like 15 minutes on this, though I did it byhand. If someone else can pull up a spreadsheet or something with all NFL coaching changes since '00 that'd make it a lot easier.

So I missed this comment from last month but boy howdy do I have the spreadsheet for you

https://drive.google.com/file/d/103ToPKjHQWO9b9ddaMifnWZprO8Jl3iC/view?usp=sharing

I compiled most of this last year when I was extremely mad about Patricia, and just spent the past couple hours updating it and sprucing it up.

No guarantees on comprehensiveness or accuracy, but have at it

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Kalli posted:

oh god yes

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Lmao

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Garrett will remain, Dak will be shoved out the door

Garrett is eternal, like time

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Urbz as a NFL coach will be really funny if he keeps his OSU playbook
I am interested in hearing this opinion stretched out. Legitimately, not loving with you. I don't watch college ball.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

No Irish Need Imply posted:

I am interested in hearing this opinion stretched out. Legitimately, not loving with you. I don't watch college ball.

Like Chip Kelly. Less emphasis on tempo. More emphasis on option runs and crossing routes over the middle.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Garrett will remain, Dak will be shoved out the door

Garrett is eternal, like time

Jason Garret has an 83-64 record as a head coach. You can't let a winner like that walk out the door and as such it is my opinion that Jerruh needs to sign him to a very lengthy extension right now.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Mike Freeman, however clued in he is, is saying that Garrett would need to win the Super Bowl to keep his job and they're interested in McDaniels and Urban Meyer.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2864206-mike-freemans-10-point-stance-at-long-last-change-is-in-the-air-in-dallas

I mean, nobody with any sort of decency wants a Cowboys Super Bowl win, but if it happens this would be a hilarious dilemma to see them in.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Simplex posted:

Like Chip Kelly. Less emphasis on tempo. More emphasis on option runs and crossing routes over the middle.

I'm sure it was this at one point, but his last couple years it seemed like every play devolved to QB POWER over the course of the game

I joke slightly, but his playcalling got really stale really fast. MV has posted about it before.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kalli posted:

If I was attending a conference and I was called out as an example on how not to do my job by a speaker, I would have to do some serious soul-searching.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1200168994164084736

About what I expected, honestly

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

I think losing to the Bills at home and putting yourself in a tie with the Eagles for the division might do it

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
e: wrong thread

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Jerry said after the game that Garrett wont be fired after this game. Good sign imo

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I mean if he hasn't after all the crap Garrett has screwed up is this really even going to move the needle.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Considering the Cowboys should prob have won the division already, I have to think

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Considering the Cowboys should prob have won the division already, I have to think

He's being given until they can't win the division anymore

Which is why he's adamant no decision's being made till at least Black Monday, because even dumbass Jerry Jones knows that lovely division is coming down to Week 17

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

I think this tweet was posted within minutes of that opening drive TD.

I like to imagine Jerry dialing a phone from the owner's box and saying "Ed Werder, hi, anonymous high-ranking source here, got a pen handy?"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Now a live look at Freddie Kitchens

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

RIP Ron Rivera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
Do the needful Jimmy