Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

Heel-toe is still your right foot on the brake left foot on the clutch.

Ledt foot braking is just wrong

Heel toe is so you can keep the revs in the right range during a braking down shift in a clutching manual transmission car. Left foot braking is to avoid wasting time moving your foot back and forth, or to simultaneously brake and apply throttle during cornering on loose surfaces (rally style), controlling load transfer

I was being facetious though, I would never teach the average driver left foot braking techniques because they will almost always misuse it and ride the brake

e: absolutely shameful snype

hot cocoa on the couch fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for teasing a friend who brought chicken salad to Friendsgiving.

quote:

I host a friendsgiving potluck where I make the turkey and a couple other dishes, and everyone fills in the sides etc. One of my buddies brought chicken salad so I was teasing him that he brought something that would be more appropriate for a picnic. Am I wrong?

For a full context, while most dishes stick w the Thanksgiving theme, some deviate, for example a friend made ropa vieja, but I still maintain chicken salad is inappropriate. What do you think?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Way to make friendsgiving just as lovely as thanksgiving

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Chicken salad is a lovely dish but if most of the people there don't mind eating it then yes, you're an rear end in a top hat

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Anything self made is better than a store bought cop out. And every gathering has at least one cop out in my experience.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I really want to know what the business was. I’m going to guess it was something kind of flashy and cool. No one ever wants to start with something boring but reliable.

Entertainment 360 2: The 1080ing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Imagine being the person who gatekeeps "Friendsgiving"?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

emptyspace posted:

Just teach her to drive stick. She'll probably still cause an accident, but her left calf will get a workout.

He should get her a super-stiff racing clutch if he's really into women with enormous calf muscles.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

(NY) If I am on a site that matches free sperm donors with women, should I / when and how should I ask her if we can paternity-test them with me getting results?

OP posted:

I am on this site that connects free sperm donors with women artificially or naturally. Some do not intend to keep the fathers in their lives, but should I and if so how should I ask her to paternity-test them for me so that I know?

Comment posted:

would be best to donate it to a sperm bank. paternity means 18 years of child support. no getting around that unless a 3rd party sperm donation site is used to relieve you of responsibility for your sperm.

OP posted:

What if I am not accepted as a donor by a traditional sperm bank and it costs to much to preserve my sperm to donate conditionally upon my death or to pay a woman to conceive it?

Comment posted:

to pay a woman to conceive it - yes but the child produced from such an agreement would be a part heir to your estate . it would be a very very expensive contract though. paying the surrogate, setting aside funds for the child, pay to a lawyer to make sure it is being done legally and to your wishes.

OP posted:

I understand that, but think that survival and reproduction are equally important evolutionary needs. Does an attorney typically charge $500 for consultations and medications like this? Also, how likely is it that she might mandate it in agreement for disclosure to me of results, and for me to negotiate a deal whereby I pay a reduced amount and still have the results?

Comment posted:

lawyer is $400/hour.

i'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish . either you donate to a sperm bank and get relieved of responsibility of child support or do it yourself and be liable for 18 years of support.

OP posted:

Ok, but is there a chance that the sperm bank might not accept my application as a donor?

Comment posted:

Obviously the answer is yes.

OP posted:

I am not trying to play dumb or be tangential or ask non-legal advice that you might not know, but because we are already on the topic, do sperm banks indeed reject the vast majority of applicants?

Comment posted:

Why are you so worried about being denied? Why are you so keen to be a donor by any means neccessary?

OP posted:

I want to pass on my genes to preserve my lineage because survival and reproduction are equally important evolutionary needs. Even if no one other than me knows, I still want some biologic validation that if not the kids or grandkids, then an archaeologist might brush up our fossils to preserve my memory (even tho I am doing societal contributions that might preserve my memory too).

Comment posted:

I mean.... great. Go to a sperm bank then. Don't do private because it's sketchy and you'll likely get hosed in the end in a bad way.

Why are you concerned about being rejected? If you care that much about "preserving your lineage" then a sperm bank is the best option as the sperm are processed and only the best of the batch are used. This is the optimal solution on every level.

Now if your desire to do private is also because you are hoping for a "traditional" impregnation, then I think you are after more than passing on genes and the risk is huge. If you want someone to have relations with and procreate with, find a person to spend your life with.

OP posted:

Thank you. I am actually a heteroromantic asexual and have posted in r/asexuality. I am also 24 and afraid that I will not find another physically attractive woman with whom to kiss and cuddle anyway, which is why I want to pass on my genes before I die to ensure that I might be remembered.

Comment posted:

Passing your genes does not ensure you are remembered. The child may never even know they came from a donor. That is something entirely up to the birth mother and her partner, if she has one, to decide. If you want to be remembered, children is not a guaranteed route even if they do know they were from a donor. Relationships create memories. You will not have a relationship with a donor recipient or their child.

I saw all this, because this is all stuff to truly consider. Your motivation to donate is entirely self serving and the outcome you want, to be remembered, is not something that is likely to happen through donation. I understand that desire though, I have kids and even I can't guarantee I will be remembered, my grandmother died when my mom was 3 and my mom has zero memory of her. Having children guarantees nothing.

I won't provide relationship advice. But I will say 24 is still young. Most of my coworkers are 26ish and maybe 2 or the 10 are actually in relationships. There's still a lot of time to find a someone and to have kids. Don't rush a decision, especially direct free donation, that could totally gently caress you in the courts and financially for the next 20 years while a kid grows up.

OP posted:

Thank you. Unless I choose to an open donor for when they attain eighteen years of age. Even then, there can still be some investigation, and an archaeologist can brush our fossils. I am still making societal contributions too tho with the two books that I plan to publish after my degrees, and then founding my nonprofit organization.

i vomit kittens fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2019

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

i vomit kittens posted:

(NY) If I am on a site that matches free sperm donors with women, should I / when and how should I ask her if we can paternity-test them with me getting results?

Dudes obsessed with boning.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Estate Lawyer, reading the end of the will: "And to humanity, I bequeath my cum, stored in a frozen lockbox at Spank of America."

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
I(25M) left my Girlfriend(23F) because she was constantly scaring me which resulted in me falling down the stairs and breaking two fingers, I am considering taking her back but I am not sure, I would like some advice from you lovely people.
Now the title may very well sound silly and honestly it is rather silly, it was certainly not something I was expecting to ever leave someone for.

So the premise here is rather simple, my girlfriend gets a kick out of scaring people. She enjoys the whole jumping out of the closet with a scary mask, sneaking up behind you and yelling "BOO!", that sort of poo poo, rather childish if you ask me.

Now when we first started dating(Roughly 10 months ago) I was alright with this, I am not someone who easily gets scared or shocked so most of her attempts failed and only a few succeeded. But as you may very well imagine, this poo poo gets old fast, you get home from a long day, the last thing you look forward too is someone at home trying to scare you. You go to her house to pick her up for dinner, the last thing you want to worry about is her jumping out from behind the bushes as you walk towards her front door. So after a few months of this poo poo I eventually told her to please stop with that poo poo.

Well, so it stopped for about a month or two before it picked up again, it started slow but again it became more and more frequent. Yes, you are correct I told her to stop it again and she seemed to listen but she did it multiple times in the span of another few months, so it had certainly become a lot less but she still did it every so often.

That was until a little under one month ago. I was walking up the stairs to my apartment, minding my own business, grocery bags in one hand, wearing my headphones and listening to some music and focused on my phone which was in my other hand... Yes, you guessed it, at the top of the stairs behind one of those big pillars she was hidden and she had apparently spotted it was me... So as I reached the top of the chairs she jumped out, I more or less yelped like a hurt dog of sorts, let go of my groceries, my phone went up flying, took a step back tripped and lost my footing because there were stairs behind me and more or less fell down the stairs. As I more or less woke up as I was out for a few seconds, my girlfriend was sitting over me with tears in her eyes, my phone was wrecked at the bottom of the stairs, my groceries were everywhere and I was laying in a pool of milk. Now you may think that is where it ends, but no, as I got myself up from the ground I noticed a sharp pain in my hand which seemed to come from nowhere and I realize my pinky and index finger were both pretty much cracked.

Well, I got up, decided to ignore the pain for a moment, yelled at my girlfriend to get my friend(Who is my roommate) and we went to the hospital, I got my fingers fixed(Luckily the breaks were clean so it was not that bad) and after a few hours we finally got back home.

My girlfriend was extremely apologetic but I was seething at this point, I started yelling at her to get the gently caress out of my apartment and that I was going to sue the living poo poo out of her for breaking my phone, fingers etc, my roommate got my back and pretty much told her she was a dumb bitch and she should get the gently caress out otherwise he would pick her up and toss her down the stairs as repayment(He wouldn't have done this but we were both really angry.)

Now after we all calmed down I obviously ended up not suing her, luckily I had insurance on my phone so it was not really hard to get a new one the only real costs were medical but those were also pretty low all things considered, so I just swallowed the costs and moved on.

This is where my girlfriend comes in, she has sent me massive apology letters, texts, tries to call me every few days, I have had her friends at my door asking me to please respond to her and so forth, hell she even went to my dad's house and talked to him about it, but my dad just told her to sod off and he doesn't deal with that sort of poo poo since it's between me and her. Now in all honesty, I really miss her, I really want to forgive her, but the issue here is, I am not sure about forgiving her, while our relationship apart from her weird hobby with scaring people was great, I seriously doubt the intellect and judgement of someone who thinks it is a good idea to scare someone right next to a flight of stairs and frankly given I asked her to stop it several times as it was, I am a bit concerned about her ability to handle bigger issues. Also to be honest I kind of think she should first offer to pay me back for the groceries, medical costs and my phone, it seems like the first thing you try to do after you pretty much cause something like this.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Like I'm not going to lie. I'm a very vain man and I think my cum is very special. But I'm sane enough to realize that nobody is going to be clamoring for it after my death like it was a rare vintage of wine.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Beachcomber posted:

Dudes obsessed with boning.
Clearly you didn't read. He's obsessed with NOT boning, but yes cuddling(maybe?).

quote:

I am actually a heteroromantic asexual and have posted in r/asexuality. I am also 24 and afraid that I will not find another physically attractive woman

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Update : I got pregnant at 16, my parents disowned me and tried taking custody of my daughter. After 10 years my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and both want to reconnect with me and get to know their grandchild. I need help on how to handle this.
/r/all
Hey it's me. I wanted to update you on what happened.

After some thought I decided to first meet my parents alone. I wanted to make a decision based on their remorse and development as human beings.

And they sadly didn't really change. When I agreed to meet I also told them it would be without my kid. Idk why but they thought they were going to meet her. They had bought presents and all. They were very disappointed to say it lightly when I showed up without her. They made no deal to hide it. But we talked. They fail to take any real responsibility for their actions. Every "apology" began with "we are sorry if you". When confronted about the CPS calls they say they were doing what was best for daughter. I got really mad but tried not to snap. They brought up every mistake I did as a young mother and that they just thought I was far too young and irresponsible to have a kid. That daughter only turned up good because of luck.

After they said that I laid down money for my meal stood up and said. "well nothing has changed. You are still the heartless persons that threw me out years ago and made my life hell for 5 years. You will never meet her. She is happy and she has loving grandparents"

They started to freak out saying that I couldn't withhold their grandchild from them. I just said that you lay in the bed you make.

I left and haven't talked to them since. Mails or letters from them are thrown out on the spot. I will eventually explain to my daughter what happened to me and my parents and will give her the chance to meet them when she is older but for now I don't want to deal with their bs.

Edit :Guys thank for your concerns but I am non US. Grand-parent rights are not a thing where I come from

Edit2: I think some of you are confused. I am not asking about advice of wethee or not I should give in to my parents request. That's what my last post was about. It's not unwillingness to reflect it's a set decision.

Also yes my daughter is in therapy due to her being traumatised by all that lovely cps visit that we're caused by my parents. So I Infact k ow my child is happy and healthy mentally as well as physically

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If you’re obsessed with future generations valuing your sperm you’ve got to create some mystery about it. You can’t just leave it behind and say “this is the sperm of A.C. Ecsual”.

Build a storage unit. A refrigerator system with its own power unit—you might have to build redundant systems and put it on top of a geothermal source for this to work. Bury the sucker. Then kill everyone who helped you.

Years from now when archaeologists do dig up your preserved seed, they’ll think “hey this is weird—this guy must have been pretty important, though! Somebody went to a lot of trouble for all this.”

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

i vomit kittens posted:

this dude lives in new york, if he spends literally any time wandering around manhattan a magainze editor in her mid 30s will jump on his dick with such vigor that she kegels his testicles through his urethra like a god drat angler fish.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Clearly you didn't read. He's obsessed with NOT boning, but yes cuddling(maybe?).

quote:

OP posted:

I want to pass on my genes to preserve my lineage because survival and reproduction are equally important evolutionary needs. Even if no one other than me knows, I still want some biologic validation that if not the kids or grandkids, then an archaeologist might brush up our fossils to preserve my memory (even tho I am doing societal contributions that might preserve my memory too).

He mentioned the fossils a bunch of times.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Power Khan posted:

Edit2: I think some of you are confused. I am not asking about advice of wethee or not I should give in to my parents request. That's what my last post was about. It's not unwillingness to reflect it's a set decision.

Never change, estranged parents of Reddit :allears:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i vomit kittens posted:

I'm sorry, artificially or naturally? Isn't natural sperm donation just loving?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm sorry, artificially or naturally? Isn't natural sperm donation just loving?

It's when you put a used condom into the donation box at church.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

They’re calling it ethnic tension when both sides are white people? gently caress off, shut the gently caress up. Yes I’m an American

Your take on old world ethnic strife made that part clear thank you

Moron

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dear How to Do It,

quote:

I’m a gay man in his 20s who comes from a big family in Texas with two brothers and three sisters. We are scattered around the country, and we rarely see each other as a group except every Thanksgiving and Christmas, when we return to our rural hometown. These meetings tend to get raucous and involve alcohol. The conversations also can get very personal. My brothers and my sisters tend to talk about their dating and sex lives, and we usually don’t spare a lot of detail. For example, we call one of my brothers Giant Joe because, well. This has occasionally taken partners (and in the case of two of my siblings, spouses) aback when they first visit. This year, for the first time, I will bring home a guy, “Jack,” for Thanksgiving. My family has known I am gay for a long time, and though my parents are religious, it was mostly a blip in our big crazy family. But I am also the only gay one, and in the past, there have been a lot of “questions” about how that works in the bedroom (“Are you pitcher or catcher,” etc.). I know that sounds bad, but it makes me feel included, and I find it funny. “Jack,” however, is incredibly shy. I have told him my siblings tend to stay up late after dinner and will probably get more personal than he’s used to—he’s from a conservative family—and he shrugged it off. But I don’t think he really knows what he’s in for. Should I tell my family to put a lid on it this year, which might single out Jack and I even more? Should I just let Jack experience my family, crude jokes and questions included? I’m not sure how to navigate this, and I’m getting nervous.

—Outfielder

What should this boyfriend do?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Build a temple for your sperm to increase the mystery when archaeologists unearth it

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Miss posted:

Build a temple for your sperm to increase the mystery when archaeologists unearth it

Exactly this. Remember to booby-trap it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for quitting my job and making my boss miss her family reunion to work my shift?
backstory: i worked at a small, locally and family owned business. i worked there for 2 years, was one of 6 employees, 3 of which were the owners' daughters. up until yesterday, i was on very good terms with the family.

since its the holidays, i was the only employee that wasn't going to be out of town. they had a family reunion on the other side of the country, and the mother was going to fly there on Wednesday, leaving me to work a solo shift that day. the mother, my manager, promised me she'd pay me time-and-a-half because she appreciated that i was going to work there all day.

i was working the closing shift a few nights ago, so i was the only one there. i normally do a fine job at closing. except this time i accidentally left the keys in the front door when i locked up. it definitely could've been very bad if someone had broken in, and i hadn't made any mistakes like this up until then. i was woken up early yesterday morning by my furious manager, who told me to come in right away to have a talk.

i was near crying when i went in because i felt so bad, i apologized profusely over and over. but my manager cut me off, and told me "i need you to work your shifts today and tomorrow. but after that, i want you out of here. you're fired". i was shocked, to say the least, when she told me this. and on top of that, she took back her offer of paying me time-and-a-half for working Wednesday.

i thought, how dare she be so callous over this! i totally understood that this was a horrible mistake, but to just fire me with no warning, after I've been such a loyal employee to her, is completely ridiculous.

i felt completely screwed over, and so i told her "since you're loving me over, I'll gently caress you over too. I'm quitting". and i walked out with her screaming at me. if she's going to take my job away like this, I'm going to gently caress up her Thanksgiving vacation. she called me a couple of times, one of which she was crying and trying to offer me my job back. i told her to go gently caress herself. after all I've done for them, and for her to just fire me out of the blue, I'm not going back. and I'm pretty sure she saw this is a reason to fire me so she could save money on payroll, since business has been slow. so now I'm out of a job, and she doesn't get to go to her family reunion because she'll be working.

i told this to my older sister, thinking she'd be happy for me for sticking up for myself. but she told me I'm an rear end in a top hat over this. in retrospect, i do feel a bit bad. but i don't entirely regret what i did.

so reddit, AITA in this situation?

tl:dr; after being a loyal employee for two years at my job and making one bad mistake, my manager decided to ask me to work my last two days, and then she'd fire me. i would have worked all day on Wednesday because she was flying across the country for a family reunion, and i was the only employee available. so i told her i was quitting. she hosed me out of my job, so i hosed her out of her family reunion.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

thats a humblebrag if I've ever seen one, there's no way anyone could think they're the rear end in a top hat.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

Update : I got pregnant at 16, my parents disowned me and tried taking custody of my daughter. After 10 years my father was diagnosed with terminal cancer and both want to reconnect with me and get to know their grandchild. I need help on how to handle this.

You tell them to go gently caress themselves. Then you sit in your plushest chair in the dark with a glass of wine and revel in the bitter, burning glory of spite requited.

However, I see you went with the stupid option.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

You tell them to go gently caress themselves. Then you sit in your plushest chair in the dark with a glass of wine and revel in the bitter, burning glory of spite requited.

However, I see you went with the stupid option.

I mean she ended up doing what you suggested, she just gave one chance for them to redeem themselves first.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Nov 28, 2019

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
You are FIRED! F-I-R-E-D! OUT OUT OUT!

You can still cover Wednesday's shift, though, yeah? I have a thing.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Power Khan posted:

I(25M) left my Girlfriend(23F) because she was constantly scaring me which resulted in me falling down the stairs and breaking two fingers, I am considering taking her back but I am not sure, I would like some advice from you lovely people.
Who doesn't dream of being married to Kato from The Pink Panther movies?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Pirate Radar posted:

Exactly this. Remember to booby-trap it.

This place is a message... and part of a system of messages ...pay attention to it!
Sending this emanation was important to me. I considered my pair of testicles to be an almighty combo.
This place is a place of great honor... highly esteemed seed is commemorated here... it is of incredible value.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Miss posted:

This place is not a place of honor. No highly esteemed deed is commemorated here. Nothing valued is here. What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us.

e: poo poo, late

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Nov 28, 2019

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Power Khan posted:

I'm with the gf just because this was so annoyingly written, too bad he didn't break his neck.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Pirate Radar posted:

This is a very casual way to ask this question

https://www.reddit.com/user/-boofit-

It’s starting to make more sense, OTC drug abuse is bad kids

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Biplane posted:

thats a humblebrag if I've ever seen one, there's no way anyone could think they're the rear end in a top hat.

being an avid reader of this thread and the corporate thread i can safely say i love these stories. I want them injected in my veins

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Biplane posted:

Maybe, but I can absolutely believe that the sister did say “no you should have just taken it despite the firing AND the boss going back on the time-and-half thing”. There’s a depressingly large percentage of people who are complete doormats when it comes to ‘company loyalty’ no matter how lovely they treat you.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Power Khan posted:

AITA for quitting my job and making my boss miss her family reunion to work my shift?

I'm betting the boss never actually intended to fire her, but expected her to beg for her job and to go with "fine you get ONE more chance" as some pathetic small business owner power move. Absolutely NTA

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lol some of you are batshit loving insane about your hatred of small business.

Pssst, large corporations are a million times worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol some of you are batshit loving insane about your hatred of small business.

Pssst, large corporations are a million times worse.

:confused: I didnt say that they werent, just that that's a very specific kind of small business owner entitlement/pettiness done by the owner of a small business

If that's your bar for batshit insane I'd love to see your reaction to the entire rest of the internet