Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lol some of you are batshit loving insane about your hatred of small business.

Pssst, large corporations are a million times worse.

They're both horrible in their own fun ways. Small business is only prevented from doing as much damage because they're small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You get hosed by sheer incompetence or by calculation, not that it matters.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yo what's the title quote from

Sunswipe posted:

Who doesn't dream of being married to Kato from The Pink Panther movies?

those fights were homoerotic as gently caress

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe

Why should the OP have done anything for the business who was firing her?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Alan Smithee posted:

yo what's the title quote from

Lucrece posted:

AITA for requesting that my daughter and her partner sleep in separate rooms?

Throwaway account. My (56F) daughter (22F) and her partner (20sF) have been an item for just under a year. They will both be staying at the house along with my son (28M) and his fiancee (29F).

There are four bedrooms in the house. One is the master bedroom for myself in my husband, one is my daughter's old room, one is my son's old room, and one is our guest room. During past Thanksgivings, my son has shared his old room with his fiancee and my daughter has stayed in her old room.

When inviting my daughter I explained my preferred arrangements and stated that her partner could stay in the guest room, as they are not engaged/committed in a way equivalent to my son and his fiancee. Daughter was very displeased by this and accused me of homophobia. I told her that I have never been anything but accepting. She knows this and when one of her high school friends was kicked out of his home for his homosexuality I allowed her to let him stay a few nights in our house. She has come from a family that is nothing but loving.

My son and his fiancee became engaged before we could experience a Thanksgiving together but I am sure I would have implemented the same rules as I do not approve of those in casual uncommitted relationships sharing rooms and engaging in physical intimacy under my roof. This absolutely would have applied to both of my children and I have told my daughter this numerous times.

Now my daughter has refused to spend Thanksgiving at our house because she says I "do not respect" her relationship while that is certainly not the case. She has even brought her partner to dinner at our house once in the past.

My husband refuses to pick a side and says he is waiting for this to "blow over" which is just as frustrating to me.

I have told my daughter that her partner is welcome here for Thanksgiving but not in the same room as her overnight. AITA?

EDIT: I have been informed in the comments that I omitted some information. While making this post I may have painted my daughter in a more negative light by neglecting to mention details regarding my son's engagement. He has been engaged for two years, but the wedding date has not been set as his fiancee has infidelity issues. My daughter brought this up in her argument with me about committed relationships and I am forced to admit that she and her partner have had no such problems. I understand that this may influence judgement of the situation.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Its funny that her getting fired over a massive fuckup was totally unexpected.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

i vomit kittens posted:

(NY) If I am on a site that matches free sperm donors with women, should I / when and how should I ask her if we can paternity-test them with me getting results?

I loved the show Ugly Americans, too, but I didn't want to make my own J-9 robot afterwards.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

They're both horrible in their own fun ways. Small business is only prevented from doing as much damage because they're small.

It’s also a weird argument as a worse thing existing doesn’t absolve your own shittyness

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Kitchner posted:

I mean on the one hand, I don't really blame a new police officer for saying "Hey look, if people are committing crimes at your party, I can't just ignore it". In the UK it's actually precedent in law that essentially police officers are never truly "off duty". Essentially a police officer once witnessed his friend get into a fight outside of a pub and he did nothing beyond just sort of splitting them up. I can't remember why it ended up in court (maybe the one guy got seriously injured) but basically the ruling was that if an off duty police officer witnesses a crime, they still have a legal duty to intervene. I imagine it's somewhat similar in the US, either legally or in terms of job rules, that if some dudes at a party are smoking weed or doing cocaine or anything you can't just be like "Hey dude, I'm off duty, ain't my problem".

On the other hand, I think if I was in that position and I said to a host of a party who was my friend "Listen dude, I can't risk being there if people are doing anything illegal like drugs. Can you check to make sure no one is planning on doing anything like that?" and they said "I have no idea" went away and then came back and said "Nah sorry dude you can't come" I would assume that they were planning to do something illegal, in which case I'm glad I wasn't there to witness it and become implicated.

So I don't necessarily think anyone is actually at fault here because the guy is clearly not best buddies with him or anything. Whereas like if my brother knew I was a copper and invited me to his birthday and I was like "Hey, just a reminder i can't be witness to illegal poo poo" and he was like "Oh yeah, uninvited" I think I'd be pretty hurt that essentially he valued drugs or cock fights or whatever it is he had planned over my presence.

That's a lot of words for "don't be friends with cops".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Large companies tend to have more controls around individual insane managers. A large company will gladly destroy a village's drinking water or sell cluster bombs that will be used on civilians or declare a shell company bankrupt to avoid paying a pension, but if there's an individual manager who's hurting retention by being a jackass there are processes for dealing with that. There are exceptions when the it's just endemic around management and covered up at every turn, but even having the option of escalating to higher management and/or HR is still an improvement. At a small business that manager is often the owner or at least close with them, and any employee dealing with that will have effectively no recourse even when it is blatantly illegal.

The large corporations are usually worse for society, but tend to be better places to work at (with surveys and such backing that up).

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 28, 2019

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Pssst

It's entirely possible, and in many places probable, for a small business to be run by assholes. They aren't inherently less likely to be poo poo just because they're a Mom & Pop joint. The people running it is the deciding factor.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not telling a girl her skirt was open and we could see her whole crotch area?

quote:

This was a long time ago, no advice needed. Just curious if I was TA.

1994, some high school. I'm in forensics at a tournament, competing against teens from other schools in various public speaking events. Basically a bunch of nerdy kids in their church clothes debating at top speed or acting like manic theater auditioners.

I'm in 2 events, one was Humorous Interpretation. It's Round 2. Cast: Girl 1; me; Boy 1 by himself; Judge; Boy 2; and two girls, friends of Boy 2. Girl 1 starts. She's doing ok, nothing awesome, but decently funny. Then she gets to a big part of her script and spreads her legs out wide. She has on a wrap skirt, no slip or underskirt, and control top pantyhose. I know because the wrap skirt under part opened and exposed everything.

Everyone froze, what to do? Unless there's an emergency, no one stops during a performance. She presses on, oblivious. With her legs together, the skirt looked fine/normal.

Problem is, her first big point when she usually expects laughter got nothing (because other than a few gasps or giggles, no one reacted). So now she's hamming it up, and I feel bad because I've bombed on stage from no audience reaction. So I smile, give some forced laughs here and there. This seemed to break the ice and everyone else took the cue and began full on laughing. Unfortunately, everyone else minus the judge starts guffawing, especially when she spreads her legs and opens the skirt (which usually corresponded with the funniest moments). The laughter did not match the performance.

I feel really bad for her. She finishes and leaves. After 2-3 seconds the judge also walks out, returning a minute later, presumably to tell her. I thought about doing the same since I was close to the door, even try to make eye contact as she passes, but can't catch her attention- she's eyes forward with an "I killed it!" expression.

It's my turn next, so I shake off the worries and do well. That night, semifinal results are posted. I advanced, and was surprised to see skirt girl also advanced (she was decent, but def not in the top 12 kids of the 50 or so that had entered) and was slated for my semifinal round.

She didn't show up. My guess is, word had spread and she didn't want to continue. After the tournament, my judge's sheets showed me scoring a 1st in round 1, a 6th (of 7) in round 2. No comments. Most judges wrote something, even if It's not their style. No critique was odd.

SO... Were we assholes to laugh? I honestly kept my eyes on her face and genuinely laughed at her performance, not her skirt. Should we have stopped her when it first happened? As the only other girl competitor, should I have followed her out to tell her before the judge got up? Should I have found her later and apologize/explain? Unfortunately I never saw her at another tournament.

This pops into my head about once a year, especially if I see a wardrobe malfunction or wear a wrap skirt, so maybe my subconscious thinks I handled it wrongly. So... Was I the rear end in a top hat?

So I was thinking about my score at a talent show 25 years ago

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

My dad (56M) lets his dogs use the bathroom all over his home and he's hosting our big family Thanksgiving. How do I help or at least stop the impending embarrassment?

quote:

My dad has two female dachshunds, one is elderly (15+) and the other is 1. I gave him the older one 7ish years ago and I had already trained her well so she was very low maintenance. In the last few years dad was constantly talking about wanting a second dachshund so I made a big mistake and got him a dachshund puppy for Christmas last year.

Now both dogs use the bathroom in the house anywhere, anytime. The older dog immediately started peeing and pooping in the house when the puppy arrived (I guess out of jealousy) and he never did anything to stop that so it has continued. The puppy didn't know better so she does the same. He'll pick up the poops if he sees them but that's it.

The older dog's health has gotten much worse and now she is more or less incontinent. She pees on herself wherever she is at so she's peeing all over the furniture. She doesn't walk much and seems to be in pain when she tries to scratch herself. Oh, somehow they both have fleas now as if it needed to get any worse... Dad doesn't do anything about it. She's nearly blind and maybe deaf too. I've tried to get him to take her to a vet but he won't because he thinks that they will want to put her down (and maybe they should).

The younger dog just goes whenever she wants to because she can. Dad crates her at night but refuses to crate either of them while he is at work (9-5, can come home for lunch). He thinks it is cruel so he just leaves both of them free in the house and of course they go to the bathroom all over the place. Even when he is home in the evenings he doesn't seem to bother taking her out, he can't let her out off leash because she runs off to the neighbor's and he just doesn't go out with her on a leash. The older dog was always fine off leash so he's been spoiled never having to use a leash around the yard, I guess he's too lazy to do it now that he has to. At this point the furniture in his house reeks of piss. All of it, not a single chair has been spared.

I don't know what to do. I've offered to take the younger dog back altogether but he loves her. I could take the younger dog and train her but he won't crate her so I worry she'd just go right back to peeing wherever and while the older one is literally unable to stop peeing on the furniture I doubt potty training would stick very well. I don't see a fix for this while he is unwilling to diaper the older dog (or put her down, depending on what a vet would say) and maybe nothing will work if he won't use a crate or take the younger one out on a leash. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to hearing them. I think all the furniture is beyond repair and just needs to be replaced but he can't really afford to buy new furniture and I don't even know what to do about the carpet. Again, not that any of that matters while the dogs continue to go potty all over the house anyway.

The urgent problem though is that he always hosts our family's gatherings so of course he's hosting Thanksgiving (and later Christmas) this year. He is so excited about it that I figure he must not know how BAD the problem really is or he wouldn't do it. He must just be used to the smell. He's a smoker too, I know that dampens the sense of smell. He's so prideful about how his house looks, he's always decorating. He can surprisingly clean up enough that you don't smell the urine when you walk in or around the house but if you stand near a couch for too long or God forbid sit on anything the smell is overwhelming. It's so unlike him to let this happen, he must be depressed and just given up on it and it hurts my heart.

I feel like I need to tell him, warn him. Maybe he can still get out of hosting Thanksgiving. I know that if our roles were reversed I would want to know how bad it is, if he really doesn't realize. But how do I tell him? And after I tell him, the problem is still there... how can I help? How does he fix this? I worry he's going to get angry with me when I tell him, he's bad to do that. Or worse, he'll be very sad...

Any advice?

TL;DR: Dad has two dachshunds (one of which is incontinent) that pee and poop all over his house and furniture. He is hosting our family's Thanksgiving and I don't think he realizes how bad the smell is. Do I tell him, how? Can I help him?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

dog piss dad definitely has brain problems.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

AITA for reporting the cafeteria lady for giving black students extra food?
u/utoron6718h
In our cafeteria there was this lunch lady that often gave black kids extra food / free food. For example when it came to fries she would always give more to back students. And in general is way nicer to them.

It wasn’t just me I heard from other black students bragging about how she gave them food for free.

I found this really unfair and racist, so I reported her to the university. No one did anything then I shared it in SGA and after that she was transferred off campus to our satellite university. She now has to commute an extra 50 minutes to work.

Since then me and any student who supported her getting in trouble has been labeled an rear end in a top hat. I haven’t been singled out it’s mostly the black in the sga. But still I feel like I did the right thing and now I’m being punished.

Looks like we have a pic of the OP:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

teen witch posted:

Looks like we have a pic of the OP:

Genuinely hope this guy gets a surprise party with a big blanket and several socks with locks in them. God drat

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

datajugend posted:

Its funny that her getting fired over a massive fuckup was totally unexpected.

Losing keys or such is definitely serious enough to warrant being fired, but yelling and berating someone then saying "You work here until Friday and never again" is one of the dumbest things you could ever say.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Dazerbeams posted:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

My dad (56M) lets his dogs use the bathroom all over his home and he's hosting our big family Thanksgiving. How do I help or at least stop the impending embarrassment?

My aunt was normal (boomer normal) before her kids grew up and she bought a dachshund and turned into this. We had a neighbor whose life revolved around her dachshund, but when it died she was dealing with so much other poo poo she didn't get another and then became normal.

Something's up with those dogs.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i knew a lady with a minature dachshund and she chewed its food and fed it from her mouth like a bird.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Happy Thanksgiving

TIFU by trying to be funny and embarrassing myself for every Thanksgiving for the rest of my life

quote:

Obligatory this did not happen today. This happened on Thanksgiving about 15 years ago when I was a young lad. My family always goes to my one Uncle's house, and they have a big basement with a light switch at the top of the stairs. Me (22m), my brother, my sister, and my 8 cousins always played a game which we called "Monster in the bathroom". The game is just hide and seek, but all the lights are out and the people have to make a noise when the seeker asks them to. Also, we never play it in an actual bathroom, no idea why we call it that.

So we play a few games, the lights start on so people can find a good place to hide while the seeker stands at the top of the stairs and counts down. When they are finished counting, they turn out the light and make their way down the stairs to find people. My oldest cousin was the seeker this game, and he's kinda known as the funny one of the bunch so I was presented an opportunity to out humor him.

As he was walking down the stairs, I suddenly got the urge to fart. I could tell this was a mammoth of a fart just by feel, so I was dying for him to ask for us to make a noise. Finally, as he got to the bottom of the stairs and screams loudly "MAKE A NOISE!" Trying to get a laugh out of everyone. Not to be outdone, I released the loudest and wettest fart I had ever released in my young life. Every single person hiding burst into hysterical laughter, including myself and the seeker.

After the laughing died down, I realized my FU. My legendary fart was actually a shart, and I had wet poo poo dripping down my leg. The other FU was that even though everyone else stopped laughing after 30 seconds, I couldn't stop. I laughed so hard that I also pissed my pants. My cousin immediately caught me, and it was revealed that I had simultaneously poo poo and pissed my pants. The game ended right there, because I had to go upstairs and borrow pants and underwear from my cousin.

Now, every single year when my family arrives to Thanksgiving, every cousin comes up to me and yells "HEY MAX30070, MAKE A NOISE!" This has not gotten old to them, and I will be arriving at my Uncle's house in about 2 hours. I will undoubtedly be asked to make a noise, as it is a Thanksgiving tradition from here till the day I die.

Tl;dr Played a game of hide and seek in the dark, was asked to make a noise, accidently poo poo and pissed myself, now I am reminded of it every Thanksgiving by cousins.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet
my prep cook at work has a dachshund and she is gorgeous but dude has some brain spiders

I grew up with one and am a goon

theory confirmed

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Power Khan posted:

AITA for quitting my job and making my boss miss her family reunion to work my shift?

Your sister is a moron and you are not the rear end in a top hat for refusing to accept that kind of bullshit

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Managers are almost all rear end in a top hat petty tyrants and small business owners are managers, hth

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My former boss was a rich housewife who adopted an elderly dachshund. She spent her days on running her hobby horse farm and let that dog piss and poo poo all over her nice house. She also hosted the extended family gatherings, though to her credit she would have the rugs professionally cleaned.

I still don't understand. They had money, why not get a dog walker?

She had a special dog poop broom and scooper she used every day in the house.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Pinecone Sample posted:

Happy Thanksgiving

TIFU by trying to be funny and embarrassing myself for every Thanksgiving for the rest of my life

Jeez just lean into it dude. Make a fart noise when they tease you about it and laugh along. You're never not gonna be the kid who pissed and poo poo himself on Thanksgiving.

Or just poo poo your pants immediately on entering the house I guess. Escalate until no one ever wants you at Thanksgiving again.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

AITA for asking my dad to not bring his girlfriend when he comes to visit me at college?

quote:

For background: my father cheated on my mother with his caregiver (liver transplant recipient after years of drug and alcohol abuse) back in 2012, and they have since had a rough relationship. He bought them a house and lives a much slower and what I believe to be more boring than he’d like lifestyle but he seems content with her. However - She lets him drink alcohol, saying “he’s an adult he can make his own decisions” and I don’t trust her. Boom I said it. She treats me really nicely but I have a hard time trusting her and here’s why.

I’m a junior in college and last year they visited me and had a horrific fight. They were both too drunk at the dinner table (with my best friend who was meeting them for the first time) and got in a dramatic fight. Both of them drunk calling me, ruining my night out, threatening to leave, his girlfriend literally DRUNK BAWLING on the phone with me as if she had no one else to weep to (I don’t think she does), etc. it lasted for hours. My college friends were horrified that my 55 year old parents were so immature they felt the need to drag me into the middle of their turmoil. I had to act like a marriage counselor and tell them they needed to be adults and communicate with each other that they were both safe but need to cool off. Next morning they walked with their tails in between their legs but it was ok.

This year, tension was a little high and another uncomfortable dinner scenario erupted because his girlfriend was again sloppily drunk at a really nice restaurant, when I prefaced that I had hoped they wouldn’t repeat the last visit. She was making comments about my mother (who my dad is still legally married to) and I was just quiet at dinner. She was drunk, screaming “I DONT GET WHY EVERYONE FEELS SO UNCOMFORTABLE WHEN I TALK ABOUT YOUR MOM!” and kept saying “I’m not jealous, I’m not jealous!” I was over it. I was annoyed and exhausted and sad my dad has to deal with this daily. I’ve noticed it makes me want to spend less time with him when he’s in town so I do. It also makes me spend less time with him at his house during summer as well.

They want to come out again next year for a visit and I just so badly want to ask my dad to not bring her. I love spending time with my dad but her drunken banter and attitudes honestly ruins the time I have with him and it puts me in such a horrific mood. However, I also know that’s asking a lot of them and it’s super bitchy and it would hurt feelings. But like.. who wants to be around such negative energy? I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I’m being childish or if I’m being reasonable for not wanting to be a mediator when they argue and just protecting myself from the emotional roller coaster they always seem to bring to Ann Arbor.

Ps. Yes she’s his caregiver but he is capable of solo travel. He skrrrted off to Australia without her just a year ago to reunite with buddies so I know he can go from LA to Ann Arbor without health complications....

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Aren't dachshunds the kind of dog that strongly bonds to one owner and will be violent and agressive to anyone else (including spouses or children)? My friend used to have one that was a raging rear end in a top hat to anyone that wasn't her or her sister. I wouldn't be keen on spending Thanksgiving around a dog constantly trying to shred my ankles.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I continue to be amazed and horrified at these people so thoroughly owned by their parents that they somehow find it extremely hard to say "no dad I don't want to spend time with your sloppy drunken mess of a girlfriend"

I mean if it's one thing having lovely parents taught me as an adult is that it's now very easy to tell them to gently caress off.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

TheKennedys posted:

my prep cook at work has a dachshund and she is gorgeous but dude has some brain spiders

I grew up with one and am a goon

theory confirmed

My mom used to train herding and sight hounds - flyball, obedience, rally, etc. Then she got two dachshunds and started believing conspiracy theories that the ASPCA wants to make it illegal to own any kind of animal and that people advocating for 'adopt don't shop' want to put down all purebred dogs.

They definitely cause brain spiders.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

empty sea posted:

I still don't understand. They had money, why not get a dog walker?

Extremely old dogs get kinda senile and poop in the house. Ours who is 17 has started to do it every few days or so even though we walk her 2-3 times a day and send her outside often to try to poop outside. We got wood floors and she had solid dumps so it isn't that big of a deal but man we've scoured the varnish off the floor cleaning it up. The vet said it's a very common thing to do when they get real old.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

pentyne posted:

Losing keys or such is definitely serious enough to warrant being fired, but yelling and berating someone then saying "You work here until Friday and never again" is one of the dumbest things you could ever say.

I think if it's one fuckup by a person who has given you years of loyal service or even just not been a problem employee for years, and it didn't result in the place getting robbed or vandalized, it would be immoral to fire them, as well as being a really dumb move. Their fuckup didn't cost you anything this time, it is out of character for them, and they must have made you money over the years or else you wouldn't have them there still. Accept the mea culpa, tell them that if it happens again they're fired, but that because they have worked so hard for you over the years you want to give them a second chance. Now instead of having to work on Thanksgiving you have an employee who feels loyal to you for that one time you let a big mistake slide.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

WIBTA if I sent my ex an email warning her about changing our son's appearances and calling her out on lying?

quote:

Divorced with 9yo boy. We both have 50/50. Our son has the usual little boy shaggy hair look. It's never been an issue between us. Most of the time, one of us will take him to get it trimmed and shorten. It was that time for him to get a haircut but it was his week with her.

When he came back, the kid literally had his head shaved. I nearly had a heart attack. My son thought it was the coolest thing, but I wasn't happy. He looks like he's sick. It's a 180 and I wasn't asked about it. My ex said the barber mistakenly used the wrong clipper and there was no choice but to shave it. She said she made my son think it was his choice so he wouldn't get upset. Well, I called the barber up and he said that my son saw a picture of a shaved head and asked his mom if he could get that. He said my ex replied "why not? Hair grows back." I believe him. That shop not only cuts my son's hair but mine as well.

I composed an email that was not sent yet telling her that his appearance and changing it drastically should be discussed AND agreed between us both and not doing so is provocative. Furthermore, I told her that I knew she was lying and it was incredibly disrespectful and there was no negotiation or we go back to court and let the judge decide.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

therobit posted:

I think if it's one fuckup by a person who has given you years of loyal service or even just not been a problem employee for years, and it didn't result in the place getting robbed or vandalized, it would be immoral to fire them, as well as being a really dumb move. Their fuckup didn't cost you anything this time, it is out of character for them, and they must have made you money over the years or else you wouldn't have them there still. Accept the mea culpa, tell them that if it happens again they're fired, but that because they have worked so hard for you over the years you want to give them a second chance. Now instead of having to work on Thanksgiving you have an employee who feels loyal to you for that one time you let a big mistake slide.

Yeah, if you don't trust them enough to give them a second chance it's probably a bad idea in the first place to rely on them solo while you're gone.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Pinecone Sample posted:

WIBTA if I sent my ex an email warning her about changing our son's appearances and calling her out on lying?

What in the hell is wrong with people? Only thing I can think is that this person is bald and projecting.

Heaven forbid a child get the haircut they want.

welcome to hell
Jun 9, 2006
My boyfriend CONSTANTLY makes our home smell like farts

quote:

This isn't a throwaway, but I am new to Reddit. I read the rules but I'm still wary, and I'm on mobile so I can't figure out how to add flair. I apologise if I make a mistake!

Setting there scene here:

Okay. My BF (28m) and I (25f) have been dating for 2yrs.
We're both reasonable enough that I was (and still am) extremely confident that if we ever separated, it'd be very civil. He's a smart, caring, loving man. I absolutely do NOT want to separate, though. I really do love this guy.

Now that's out of the way, enter The Farting. To begin, he's always fully, bare-bone naked. That is a huge part of who he is. He sits with his bare butt on any chair, on the carpet floor... pretty much any surface that isn't being used to eat or prepare food. It genuinely doesn't phase him and the barebutt sitting itself okay with me, and it would absolutely be a deal breaker if I told him he needs to put ANY clothes on while in the house alone with me. This is important because of what I'm about to say.

We joke around that he's a Pooter, and it's honestly pretty funny and kind of endearing that he's comfortable enough around me to let 'er rip. It'd be alright if it was sometimes, or even once a day, but... dude. It's CONSTANT. Loud, untamed, wet farts, out of a bare butt, and onto the fabric chair. Onto the floor. In the air that I'm breathing. The moment we wake up, I can expect four HUGE, WET RIPS right underneath the blanket.

I do not poot. And yes, I have a hard time even saying I fart. I excuse myself to the restroom to even burp. I'm not uppity by any means but at least /some/ etiquette is important to me. Maybe that's because this is the second time I've ever lived with anyone. Maybe my expectations are too high for someone I'm so close with.

Here's some things I've tried to combat this stinky situation: - I bring my own little blanket to bed now. He commented on it and I explained kind of sing-songy that he poots me awake in the morning. He laughed it off, but NOW HE TAKES THE BLANKET OFF OF HIM TO FART INTO THE AIR. He must've thought the "under the blanket" aspect is what bothered me. Nope. - I've recently resorted to just embarassing him. I used to tiptoe and not want to make him uncomfortable by voicing my nausea, but now I just tell him "AHHHH omg you made the room smell like farts" and I leave. He laughs out a sorry, which makes sense because I'm not actually mad per se, but then eventually ends up in the same room as me again. Rinse and repeat, pretty much all day, every day. - On that note, I've gotten harsher, saying things like "Jesus Christ did you poo poo the bed dude?!" jokingly, or "Omg do you want me to grab you a Pepto Bismal?" He's not offended but not much has changed. - I asked him to please aim his farts away from me. He said it's just air and it's not like a "flame-thrower of farts." It literally is, though. They were practically aimed at me. It didn't bother me at first but after two years, now it feels like I'm eating his poop out of the air, straight-up. The next paragraph is in relation to this.

He tries to leave the room now, if you can even call it that. He will stand up, walk right outside of the doorway, turn around to look back into the room and lock eyes with me, do a half-squat, and fart. It's insane but he thinks it's.. like, our cute funny little thing? Or something? I can't believe I let it get like this, but I don't want him to not be comfortable around me anymore. We're best friends and I know he'll say that this is his home too and if he can't be himself here, where can he?

Right now I'm actually sitting on our patio in cold wind, because that's preferable to the disgusting apartment. Every room smells like farts. He has been naked farting all day. It's only 11:00AM and I've lost count at 8 farts, and that's just counting the ones that make my whole face cave in on itself.

He woke up this morning obviously wanting hanky panky but I absolutely couldn't bring myself to want him to touch me because I find his morning farts to be such a huge turn-off. He's been doing it all day and I recoil at his touch, which is something I don't want to do.

How the heck do I approach this? What on Earth can I say that will not offend him but also let him know my opinion on it has changed, and that it's effecting our time spent together, and our sex life?

TLDR; My BF wet farts all over our apartment and I feel like I'm injesting literal poo poo particles. It used to be funny but now it's only semi-funny but very-much-a-turnoff.

/end of ungrateful Thanksgiving post

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

therobit posted:

That would be uncharacteristically wise and empathetic for a manager

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

welcome to hell posted:

My boyfriend CONSTANTLY makes our home smell like farts

I would dig hearing how the boyfriend rationalizes all this behaviour to himself. My main thought is he's actually a neanderthal or some kind of shaved gorilla and this is the only way he knows how to act - when he has to leave the house he's constantly pining for a return to his natural state.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

What in the hell is wrong with people? Only thing I can think is that this person is bald and projecting.

Heaven forbid a child get the haircut they want.

When you get divorced kids are not agents of their own free will they are a walking scoreboard you rack up points against your ex.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Extremely old dogs get kinda senile and poop in the house. Ours who is 17 has started to do it every few days or so even though we walk her 2-3 times a day and send her outside often to try to poop outside. We got wood floors and she had solid dumps so it isn't that big of a deal but man we've scoured the varnish off the floor cleaning it up. The vet said it's a very common thing to do when they get real old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AITA for telling a stranger her funeral outfit was inappropriate?

quote:

My great grandmother passed away a few days ago and her funeral with this morning. High Roman Catholic Mass. She was 103. One of my cousins," Joseph", brought his girlfriend "Raven". They're both 19 and if my Aunt Sandy is to be believed neither of them work but live in her basement playing video games and smoking pot. Joseph was a pallbearer so he wore a suit. Raven, however, showed up wearing a pair of knee length denim shorts and an orange and white flannel button up. Strangely enough she didn't seem to notice or mind that everyone else was wearing dark clothing, funeral clothing. A lot of people were giving her looks, and making comments. My great grandmother's children were especially offended.

After the service we went back to great grandma's house for the reception. I'm in my mid-twenties and the oldest of the younger generation of cousins so we all sort of made a place on the back porch. Raven and I found ourselves alone at one point so I very gently told her that her outfit was inappropriate for a Catholic funeral, or a funeral of any kind. Raven got upset and demanded to know if she was supposed to go out and buy new clothes for one event. I told her no, a dark pair of pants and a dark shirt would have been fine, but wearing shorts and a bright shirt are not appropriate for anyone's funeral and I couldn't believe that A). She didn't know this, and B). Joseph didn't try to get her to wear something else. My verbatim words were, "hey, can I just tell you something? I'm not trying to make you upset, or tell you off, but your outfit isn't really appropriate for a funeral. Especially one like great grandma's, where it's very religious. In the future, you can just wear dark clothing, keep it simple, conservative."

She and Joseph left shortly after and later on I got a text fro him letting me know that Raven was highly offended and he wanted me to apologize. I can see how someone might be embarrassed to have been given a "ticking off" about their clothes but I wasn't rude or unnecessarily mean about it. I don't see why I owe anyone an apology. I didn't ask her to leave, I didn't call her names or yell at her. And we were alone. So no one else was listening.

Was I an rear end in a top hat?