Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

does anyone have a suggested approach for guava ice cream made from a batch of fresh guavas? i've never really made any flavors other than chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. i'm thinking of scooping out the seeds and pulp and then blending skin and flesh into a puree, then tossing that into my standard ice cream base, but i'm wondering if it would be better to reduce everything to a slightly jam-y consistency before hitting it with an immersion blender. searching online doesn't come up with any recipes that inspire great confidence

Sounds like a delicious thing to make. IIRC, fresh guava does contain substantial amounts of papain which is a protease enzyme, and so you can't add it to recipes that rely on proteins to set up properly unless you cook the fruit to inactivate the papain first. (Gelatin is the classic example of something that won't set up in the presence of papain, which is why one can't successfully put fresh pineapple in gelatin.)

I don't have first-hand experience on how that chemical process would translate for ice cream, but I suspect that if the ice cream base you use is a custard, then it might have an effect. Reducing the guava puree with heat would inactivate the papain, so that would be the safer route. Maybe someone else here has actual first-hand experience with it though and can give you better advice.

TofuDiva fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Question for those more experienced with cheesecake making - is there a good way to keep my swirl cheesecakes from cracking? I've tried all the usual methods, room temp eggs/cream cheese, as little beating as possible to keep air from getting in, having the springform sit in a pan filled with water to help even out the cooking, etc.

Generally I do a blackberry swirl with just smashed blackberries, some brown sugar, some cornstarch, and strain to get the seeds out so it's a bit syrupy when I mix it in but man, I just can't get a good smooth top. Not that it really matters since it tastes great either way but I still feel a little embarrassed whenever it happens, especially if I'm cooking for others.

It sounds hacky, and like it shouldn't work, but all the cheesecakes I've made in my InstantPot have had great tops. Take a look at this technique and try it if you have one, maybe?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TofuDiva posted:

A water bath helps with the cracking. I never bother with one; I just treat the crack as an opportunity for some extra fresh fruit garnish before serving :)

Yeah, water bath is the way to go, and then a quick knife around the inside of the mold when you take it out so the sides don't stick and pull when cooling. Also pull it a little early, when it's still a little soft in the center, and it will finish on the pan. If you can't stand the look of any that crack, just pipe the cracks full of fruit gel or garnish over.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Like others said cooking in a water bath and running a knife around the edges once you're done before it cools down are probably the most meaningful steps you can take to avoid having to hide your shame under a pile of cream, but especially with fluffier cheesecakes where the batter expands a lot before settling down to its final size I've found that letting it cool down very slowly also helps. Turn the oven off a little earlier than when you would normally pull it out (so more than a little wobbly in the middle) and just let it cool in the oven with the door cracked open instead of pulling it out to room temperature.

Or be impatient and move a wide cheesecake directly from the oven to cool on the fridge-temp balcony, and pretend the edges cracking free from the centre in an impressively neat circle as they cool and contract much faster was totally a cunningly planned aesthetic decision :cripes:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there any way to avoid fried chicken completely ruining a big batch of oil? I can deep fry potatoes and the oil is still clear and usable, but if I so much as fry a few pieces of chicken, it turns black and I don't know whether it's worth filtering and reusing, or if I should just throw it. I know bits of flour / crumbs are being left behind and burning, but I'm not sure how much they impart a burnt flavour to the oil.

PS: Weltlich, your advice was spot on. Had KFC quality chicken that was really crackly and crunchy.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Qubee posted:

PS: Weltlich, your advice was spot on. Had KFC quality chicken that was really crackly and crunchy.

Talk about damning with faint praise

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 29, 2019

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Is there any way to avoid fried chicken completely ruining a big batch of oil? I can deep fry potatoes and the oil is still clear and usable, but if I so much as fry a few pieces of chicken, it turns black and I don't know whether it's worth filtering and reusing, or if I should just throw it. I know bits of flour / crumbs are being left behind and burning, but I'm not sure how much they impart a burnt flavour to the oil.

Unfortunately, finding where your limit of “is this oil too dark?” is just part of the trial and error of frying. Some people even seem to prefer “seasoned” oil.

But, gelatin filtering is a good way to get it back to near pristine, if you want to go that route. Filtering def. helps, though I find that filtering through a wad of cheesecloth works better than paper filters.

Personally, though, I seldom use expensive oils for frying, purely so I can toss or recycle when they get dark and not feel like I’m throwing money away. Filtering is work, and if you accidentally knock over the jug or funnel whilst filtering, it gets really messy. I hate cleaning up spilled oil. For as cheap as canola oil is, I’ll just send the old stuff off to become biodiesel.

Edit: glad to hear that the frying techniques worked out though! That’s also my fish frying technique, so if he mood strikes for fish and chips, just do the same thing.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Qubee posted:

Made fried buttermilk chicken last night, they turned out pretty terribly. I hosed up the seasonings, but it was okayish. What really screwed things up was putting them on a paper towel to dry, so they sorta steamed and got really soggy and oily. I fried them in oil that was around 170-180c, a few minutes each side, and didn't overcrowd. When the coating was golden brown, I took them out. Is the oil not hot enough, or did the steaming on paper towels make them seem oilier than they were? I tenderised the meat with a meat hammer beforehand so they were all uniform thickness, so I wasn't too worried about frying it for a short amount of time.

Did you check the temperature of the meat? An overcooked piece will take on more oil than one that has moisture creating steam throughout the frying process. Did you monitor how much the temperature of the oil was after the chicken went in, and did it drop significantly below your 170-180C mark?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

pile of brown posted:

Bread doesn't turn turkey into poison

The issue is more that the turkey turns the bread into poison if you don't cook it long enough, even.

But 2 days out of the fridge? It's all poison. Poison for everyone.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I tried some hersheys today. After all I read about it I guess I expected something more gross than what I tasted. But yeah there was something about it that kinda reminded me about vomit, or some kind of aged cheese. So I am not sure it was to my taste, but eh it wasn't too bad either, though I don't pretend to have class in chocolate taste as I like Marabou (swedish brand).

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Anyone got any foolproof simple bread recipes for someone who's never made it but has been seized with the thought of hey I could make some bread?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I’m making dinner for a few people later today. Roasted sprouts, roasted carrots, roasted chicken, mashed potatoes. Im confident about the things I have to do, I’m just trying to figure out timings.

The chicken is about 1.8kg so I was going to spatchcock it and roast, seems should be roughly 45-60 mins at 450?

Carrots recipe asks for 60 mins at 400, sprouts are 25 mins at 450. I’m thinking I can probably do the carrots at 450 for a shorter time, but I’m worried that 450 is too high because the glaze has sugar and maple syrup in. Do you think I can get away with that?

If so does this sound reasonable:
Oven at 450
Carrots and chicken in at 5pm
Sprouts in at 5.30
Chicken out at 5.45
Chicken rest 15-20 mins, make sauce for sprouts
Sprouts and carrots out at 6
Eat just after 6

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'd be worried about the carrot glaze at that temperature, yes. You can roast the first 25 minutes just in oil, then glaze and return to the oven. You'll need to watch it like a hawk too since higher temperature means a quicker transition from undercooked - nice - overcooked.

For the chicken - do you have a thermometer?

Organza Quiz posted:

Anyone got any foolproof simple bread recipes for someone who's never made it but has been seized with the thought of hey I could make some bread?

What kind of bread do you want? Fluffy white? Crusty? Sourdough?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Organza Quiz posted:

Start with a soda bread, they are fun and forgiving. https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/16947/amazingly-easy-irish-soda-bread/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd be worried about the carrot glaze at that temperature, yes. You can roast the first 25 minutes just in oil, then glaze and return to the oven. You'll need to watch it like a hawk too since higher temperature means a quicker transition from undercooked - nice - overcooked.

What kind of bread do you want? Fluffy white? Crusty? Sourdough?

Fluffy sounds good! Not a big fan of sourdough. I guess just like. Basic bread? Soda bread does sound like a good start.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Fluffy sounds good! Not a big fan of sourdough. I guess just like. Basic bread? Soda bread does sound like a good start.
If you want a basic, fluffy, yeast-leavened bread, maybe try a vienna bread which usually has a bit of butter in it so it's softer than pain ordinaire (normal french baguette).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Julia Child has a great recipe. I've never made it normal - I sourdough-ize it - but it's great and very approachable.

Here's a write-up which includes stand mixer or hand-mixing directions.

http://fancytofingerfood.blogspot.com/2016/05/julia-childs-pain-de-mie.html?m=1

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
probably a dumb question

I want to thaw some diced chicken breast by putting it in cold water. I have a pack of already diced chicken breast. Should I remove it from the packaging to do this, or will it work as well to just put the package in a bowl of cold water? I feel like unpackaging it would probably be quicker, but less hygienic?

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
throw the whole package in cold water

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Organza Quiz posted:

I baked my first breads earlier this year using this process:

https://www.abreaducation.com/content/lesson1-first-loaf

First loaf i let over proof so it ate up all the sugar before baking and i didn't get good browning. The second one (which was a wheat bread per the link at the end, but same overall process) i didn't let go as long and it came out amazing. Lookidat crust.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
Spinach ideas, anyone?

A wonderful family member brought fresh spinach - lots and lots and lots of fresh spinach. We enjoyed salads, smoothies, sauteed it with garlic, put some in soups and ramen, made pesto, stuffed squash with it, and just ate handfuls of it rolled up with a bit of lemon and tahini.

He's now gone back to his island and I still have a couple of generous quarts of the spinach. It's probably past its prime for salads, but would still serve well with light cooking. Anybody have an offbeat favorite that you'd be willing to share?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

What kind of cheese works well for gougères? Are more pungent cheeses a good choice, or is it best to stick with milder and nutty/sweet varieties like the typical gruyère?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Eeyo posted:

What kind of cheese works well for gougères? Are more pungent cheeses a good choice, or is it best to stick with milder and nutty/sweet varieties like the typical gruyère?

Pretty much any firm cheese will incorporate fine. I usually use the oldest cheddar I can find.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

TofuDiva posted:

Spinach ideas, anyone?

A wonderful family member brought fresh spinach - lots and lots and lots of fresh spinach. We enjoyed salads, smoothies, sauteed it with garlic, put some in soups and ramen, made pesto, stuffed squash with it, and just ate handfuls of it rolled up with a bit of lemon and tahini.

He's now gone back to his island and I still have a couple of generous quarts of the spinach. It's probably past its prime for salads, but would still serve well with light cooking. Anybody have an offbeat favorite that you'd be willing to share?

Spinach sauteed with nutmeg is a classic.
Spanikopita is good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ohitashi is a good way to use up a lot of spinach. https://www.justonecookbook.com/spinach-ohitashi-japanese-spinach-salad-with-bonito-flakes/

Or spinach gomaae. https://www.justonecookbook.com/spinach-with-sesame-sauce/

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

TofuDiva posted:

Spinach ideas, anyone?

Two things which come to mind: spanakopita (spinach puff pastries; basically a mixture of spinach and feta inside puff pastries), and saag paneer (creamy spinach and spices with fresh indian farmer's cheese cubes (paneer)).

That or some bibimbap? Wilted spinach works well for that IMO. Not really the "star" of the dish, but it definitely brings something to the bibimbap table.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

I thought about it some more and used the lower temp and just did the chicken and sprouts longer. Turned out well, I definitely need to get a meat thermometer though. Breasts were probably slightly over but thighs were perfect. Can’t believe I’ve never done a spatchcocked bird before, it’s so quick and easy!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Pasta with creamy spinach sauce and roasted tomatoes, serves 2:

Cut 2 tomatoes into wedges, or take a good handful of cherry tomatoes and chop them in half, and toss in olive oil and salt and pepper then place skin side down in a roasting tray in the oven for 20 minutes or so
Put pasta on to boil, preferably a shape that holds a sauce well
Saute a diced onion in a large pot, add a few cloves of diced garlic
Season
Add 100ml cream and 200ml veg/chicken stock, bring to a simmer
Add a teaspoon or so of freshly grated nutmeg
Add ~250g of washed fresh spinach (in batches if pan not big enough), simmer for 5 minutes or until wilted
Season some more
Stick blend the spinach sauce in the pot, add cooked pasta to it and cook for another minute or two to let flavours combine, serve with the roasted tomatoes on top and a poo poo ton of parmesan

Very simple and quick but extremely delicious meal, the roasted tomatoes + spinach combo is always a winner

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 1, 2019

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Can always make saag with the spinach

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I just made "Saag Feta" the other day with this recipe: https://www.bonappetit.com/story/saag-feta-indian-ish

I definitely had to go get some new (to me) spices from the indian grocer, but it was excellent and I would highly recommend it. It's going to be hard to go back to any other kind of greens after eating this.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Spinach works as well as water spinach in fai daeng. A fantastic side dish.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blanch spinach briefly, just until the color change. Drain while you heat up a wok with just a bit of oil, couple tablespoons. Fry some smashed and chopped garlic and/or slivered ginger. When fragrant, add your spinach, toss it around a bit for a minute or so, add a little salt, then add a bit of potato starch slurry. Like a teaspoon starch + teaspoon water at most, you just want to vaguely glaze the vegetables and help the aromatics stick to them.

You can do this to any green and it's great.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

TofuDiva posted:

Sounds like a delicious thing to make. IIRC, fresh guava does contain substantial amounts of papain which is a protease enzyme, and so you can't add it to recipes that rely on proteins to set up properly unless you cook the fruit to inactivate the papain first. (Gelatin is the classic example of something that won't set up in the presence of papain, which is why one can't successfully put fresh pineapple in gelatin.)

I don't have first-hand experience on how that chemical process would translate for ice cream, but I suspect that if the ice cream base you use is a custard, then it might have an effect. Reducing the guava puree with heat would inactivate the papain, so that would be the safer route. Maybe someone else here has actual first-hand experience with it though and can give you better advice.

thanks for the advice. i don't use a custard base, but i gave the puree a bit of a reduction anyway. put it in my cream base and got the temp to 170f, cooled the base, churned it, and the end product was great. a bit of a gritty mouthfeel from some residual skin in the puree, but that just gave it character

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone got good stocking stuffers? I usually do homemade limoncello and vanilla extract, sometimes flavored salts.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Can’t believe I’ve never done a spatchcocked bird before, it’s so quick and easy!

ONE OF US. ONE OF US

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon
So many good spinach ideas and recipes - thanks much everybody! Spinach is my go-to green, so I am likely to use them all. I am not good at food photos but as best as I can, I'll post as I make them.

I should have mentioned making saag paneer when I first posted my request; a big batch of it was one of the first things I made (and I still ran out of saag before I ran out of naan, alas).

Thanks again - I may go buy even more spinach tomorrow.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Do you know, quantifiably, how much spinach you got? I'm just curious because I feel like even a bushel sautées down into like 3 servings.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Anne Whateley posted:

Do you know, quantifiably, how much spinach you got? I'm just curious because I feel like even a bushel sautées down into like 3 servings.

Not quantifiably, but it was enough to more than fill two of the crates that my CSA shares came in, and each of those has a capacity of about 10 gallons/40 liters.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The bowl/lid assembly for one of our KitchenAid food processors is completely busted. The plastic is splitting. The plastic inside the food chute has worn so the little bits at the end don't get cut and just spin around inside. Then it might suddenly catch and slam the lid past the catch. We then have to pry the lid back by jamming a skewer into the spring-loaded lock to be able to free the lid and turn it back around. The reason I write "processors" is because we found another one at Goodwill for $20 that didn't work specifically because of that problem. We were just so used to fixing it that we knew we could salvage it. However, now one bowl/lid pair is just shot and the second one is getting worn too. I also don't like that I can't put them in a dishwasher dirty with other dirty stuff because food will get blown inside the inner parts of the handle and stay there forever.

Is there an alternate food processor that avoids a lot of these problems? The main Cuisinart one also looks vulnerable and I'm not convinced it'll work well in a dirty dishwasher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hand washing will lengthen the life expectancy of your food processor bowls/lids/what have you. I do sometimes put the main bowl in there, but never anything with working parts.