Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

Lets say we start pulling carbon out of the air at the same rate we put it into the air. Where the gently caress do we store 9.32 million barrels worth of carbon every loving day?

Build stuff with it. We need to be able to turn that carbon into fibers and other carbon polymers, and those into useful materials and infrastructure.

Basically our only hope there is nano-mechanical construction, which is only a hundred years of expensive and intense research away. :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There was a promising wave power generator coming out a decade ago, but they went bankrupt and supposedly China also stole their blueprints :v:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelamis_Wave_Power

The wave generators sat atop the water in the tidal zone, and let the waves rock a fluid back and forth across what was a cross between a wind turbine and a hydroelectric generator. There’s a huge amount of power available just from simple wave motion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wave_power

If only we had a nationwide system that could link solar power (PV and concentrated solar arrays) from the southwest, wave power from the coasts, wind power from the mountains, all alongside a solid bedrock of nuclear power...and then we maintained it because the price of failure is astronomically high.

If only :unsmith:

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

bulletsponge13 posted:

So now that we've cover the Pros, does anyone have something for the Con column?

There's no guillotines involved.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Casimir Radon posted:

Edit: Also keep coal country dumbasses from deciding we should just burn it again.

Clean coal!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Lets say we start pulling carbon out of the air at the same rate we put it into the air. Where the gently caress do we store 9.32 million barrels worth of carbon every loving day?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

The real problem is storing the carbon. Even if we reforested the earth to what it was like during the time of Jesus that would do nothing to solve the issue of what to do with the carbon from fossil fuels.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=23&t=10

"In 2018, about 142.86 billion gallons (or about 3.40 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, an average of about 391.40 million gallons (or 9.32 million barrels) per day."

Space force.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress that dude

eat turkey and root for the Bills, the team that told trump to gently caress off when he tried to buy em

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

also gently caress bon jovi forever for similar reasons

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

also gently caress bon jovi forever for similar reasons

His music is reason enough tbh

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Made it through dinner with only one person having a brief maga outburst :toot:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What makes those Israeli genetic engineered bacteria different from any photosynthetic bacteria that only need CO2 and sunlight to grow?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

That Works posted:

What makes those Israeli genetic engineered bacteria different from any photosynthetic bacteria that only need CO2 and sunlight to grow?

These will also build illegal settlements in the West Bank

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lol

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Lmao

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

hahahahahahah

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

These will also only build illegal settlements in the West Bank

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

I'm not American but today I give thanks to this thread

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

yooo

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifk6iuLQk28

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

one trumper of my stepdads family dropped a biden line that no one understood quick. that was it.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

:boom:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:happyelf: :drat:

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
Some of my relatives who are super into crypto currency (and believe in a National Treasure-esque conspiracy theory that one of the Roosevelts has a gold vault in the grand canyon that will cancel all US debt) were in hobby lobby yesterday arranging the craft letters to say "Epstein didn't kill himself".

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this point, but I'm taking over a majority of the Thanksgiving cooking and self-medicating with alcohol since I'm in the kitchen. I have a massive inner ear infection so nobody will suspect if I look miserable

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

today i am thankful for trees

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Another example of just how far to the right the Democrats have moved

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/status/1200099308374282241?s=19

I mean you're not wrong that parts of the Democratic party have moved to the right...but maybe don't point at a guy who ran as a republican, then independent and is now trying to buy his way into the dem primary as a prime example of "Dems bad".

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

The real problem is storing the carbon. Even if we reforested the earth to what it was like during the time of Jesus that would do nothing to solve the issue of what to do with the carbon from fossil fuels.

https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=23&t=10

"In 2018, about 142.86 billion gallons (or about 3.40 billion barrels1) of finished motor gasoline were consumed in the United States, an average of about 391.40 million gallons (or 9.32 million barrels) per day."

a) we bury it until we can use it--

b) when we can produce sufficient clean energy, transition to carbon fibers and polymers, at least until human engineered plastic eating bacteria eat everyone's houses, leaving the only safe storage as:

c) manufactured diamonds. 40 billion metric tons of CO2 per year * 12g of carbon / 44g of CO2 = 11 billion metric tons or 5.5x10^16 carats of diamonds. The most bling of all futures.

At that point, if we accidentally make the atmosphere flammable, all that will be left of our society will sparkle.

Edit: corrected carats math: 1.1x10^1 billion (1x10^9) metric tons * 10^3 kg/metric ton * 10^3g/kg * 5 carats/g

piL fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 28, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

egyptian rat race posted:

Some of my relatives who are super into crypto currency (and believe in a National Treasure-esque conspiracy theory that one of the Roosevelts has a gold vault in the grand canyon that will cancel all US debt) were in hobby lobby yesterday arranging the craft letters to say "Epstein didn't kill himself".

I don't know if I should laugh or cry at this point, but I'm taking over a majority of the Thanksgiving cooking and self-medicating with alcohol since I'm in the kitchen. I have a massive inner ear infection so nobody will suspect if I look miserable

Scratch the surface and you'll probably get lots and lots of crazy. Lotsa MAGA hat chuds are all in on it only because they think Killary KKKlinton got to him before he could spill how much he knew about her satanic pedo ring spinal fluid harvesting operation under the pizza store.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Broken clock but better they're talking about a conspiracy that's true instead of taking hostages at the pizza arcade

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

hobbesmaster posted:

Taxes on yachts won’t work, they’ll just have them built in Southeast Asia and park them in the Caribbean.

They already do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yo that gold vault poo poo is sovcit scripture and you probably should ask them pointed/leading questions about flag tassels to see where they are in the rabbit hole.

The part where it connects to the mainline "identity isn't real" sovcittery is where they believe SSNs and identities are part of a paper draft against that gold reserve or something, and you can file the magic papers to "redeem" it and cancel all your debt.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 29, 2019

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

FrozenVent posted:

They already do.

What was it that the British rich were threatening to do if Jeremy Corbin won Parliament? It was leave the country and never come back, as if that would really be a problem for them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

What was it that the British rich were threatening to do if Jeremy Corbin won Parliament? It was leave the country and never come back, as if that would really be a problem for them.

Yeah but that's every rich person ever. gently caress 'em.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yeah but that's every rich person ever. gently caress 'em.

Just take their capital on the way out.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And their heads

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

A Bad Poster posted:

They're planning on this if Boris wins too, given the likely brexit outcome.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

A Bad Poster posted:

They can gently caress off to that Peter Thiel libertarian ocean barge in the Pacific and start murdering each other.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I’m sorry for the meme.

Let’s keep this campaign sex-positive people.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

FAUXTON posted:

Yo that gold vault poo poo is sovcit scripture and you probably should ask them pointed/leading questions about flag tassels to see where they are in the rabbit hole.

The part where it connects to the mainline "identity isn't real" sovcittery is where they believe SSNs and identities are part of a paper draft against that gold reserve or something, and you can file the magic papers to "redeem" it and cancel all your debt.

I drilled a test well and it seems that this particular tinfoil hat is based on the idea that there are deep state (but good?!) actors in the government going back decades that want to dissolve the Fed and return the US to the glorious free market ideals it was founded on. The secret gold (?) vault is a part of the founders/Roosevelts/Nicholas cage plan to do this. Maybe not gold though... Since this idea was last pitched to me in the summer, apparently gold and cryptos are bad and we should focus on silver investment now. So the vault in the Grand Canyon might be filled with a different precious metal than gold.

In all seriousness the videos they are watching point to very real signs of a recession in the next year or three, which I am fine with. gently caress it.

There is a non-zero chance this will lead to a rafting and/or hiking trip in the Grand Canyon financed by my relatives, so that is the small ray of sunshine I choose to hang on to in this moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

BigDave posted:

They can gently caress off to that Peter Thiel libertarian ocean barge in the Pacific and start murdering each other.

At least the bad guy in Snowcrash let refugees tether themselves to the raft