Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Low Desert Punk posted:

bryan's new strategy of trying to limit Dave tangents by saying "we'll get to that later" is certainly ambitious

my favorite is bryan coming back from the 15 minute long dave journey with "so they have this match, aaaand..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Haven't finished the episode but I can't believe Dave shoehorned in Cornette talk twice and managed to sound worse and worse as he went on. Like just let it go man.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Low Desert Punk posted:

bryan's new strategy of trying to limit Dave tangents by saying "we'll get to that later" is certainly ambitious

One day Bryan will release an audio file onto the website labelled "later" and the world will tremble.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

karmicknight posted:

One day Bryan will release an audio file onto the website labelled "later" and the world will tremble.

broken into 90 minute segments of course

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's amazing how Bryan has no patience for anyone, including his own grandmother, but somehow manages to deal with multiple Dave tangents several times a week.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

JT Smiley posted:

It's amazing how Bryan has no patience for anyone, including his own grandmother, but somehow manages to deal with multiple Dave tangents several times a week.

dave is the only person on F4W that bryan can't bully around.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dave should talk about Cornette less and hockey more.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
The San Jose Steamroller is undefeated in over 5000 straight Wrestling Observer Radios

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Cormette and Dave are joined at the hip and while they dispute at length starting with Young Bucks, Dave has always held Cornette as a good man. He cant be both a good man AND an out of touch racist. It is the children that are wrong.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
So, deciphering Dave’s coded speak about Mauro today - someone in wwe management urged Graves to gently caress with Mauro?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

JT Smiley posted:

Dave is the reason for the majority of subscribers.

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire

Incessant Excess posted:

Dave is the reason for the majority of subscribers.

Bryan and Vinny are a huge portion of subscribers and I wouldn’t be shocked if they outsold Dave

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
The B and V show got me to sign up that's for sure.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

oh but seriously I posted:

spikegal give us the scoops
this just in: I love y'all.

experts all agree that "y'all rock"

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Vincent Verhei is a draw, brother

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

mkay0 posted:

So, deciphering Dave’s coded speak about Mauro today - someone in wwe management urged Graves to gently caress with Mauro?

That appears to be the situation. How far up does it go? Perhaps we will never know...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Spikegal posted:

FINALLY somebody who isn't scared to tell it like it is!

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I came for the retro reviews.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Spikegal posted:

Scoops posting is a dangerous road. Heed the warning signs previous scoops addicts chose to ignore. Stay safe Spikegal.

on topic, B&V subjecting themselves to late 00/early 10 WWE is what got me to sign up for the service so yeah, Vinnie is a podcast draw in a way

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Lid posted:

Cormette and Dave are joined at the hip and while they dispute at length starting with Young Bucks, Dave has always held Cornette as a good man. He cant be both a good man AND an out of touch racist. It is the children that are wrong.

Idk if this is related but Dave wrote that him, Cornette, Paul Heyman and Eddie Gilbert were all people who came up in the same way at the same time and influenced wrestling immensely

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
imagine if dave became a performer and we got 20 minute meltzer promos on raw

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Isn't Dave kinda short?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Dave's chumming the waters of troll bay

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1200257615206342657?s=19

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

mkay0 posted:

see I took it as “he can’t take the tweets down, because there’s a WWE directive that you can’t ever admit you were wrong and Dave was right”

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I mean, the moment would presumably add to it to make it greater, right? I don’t think the dudes claiming Cena can outwork Okada it’d be awesome for different reasons

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aesop Poprock posted:

I mean, the moment would presumably add to it to make it greater, right? I don’t think the dudes claiming Cena can outwork Okada it’d be awesome for different reasons

He claims that Cena isn't as big of a star in Japan as some other guys Tana has wrestled, which is probably fair, I dunno how over Cena is there but he's obviously never done anything except WWE. So he's not like a Styles or a Jericho who has real history in the country.

If you ran that match, I almost feel like it'd have to be in America. Western NJPW fans would be the ones who would get the most out of it.

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

imagine if dave became a performer and we got 20 minute meltzer promos on raw

That guy is gonna kick my rear end at the pay per view on Sunday.

Well, actually, he's not. I'm gonna kick his rear end.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

MJeff posted:

He claims that Cena isn't as big of a star in Japan as some other guys Tana has wrestled, which is probably fair, I dunno how over Cena is there but he's obviously never done anything except WWE. So he's not like a Styles or a Jericho who has real history in the country.

If you ran that match, I almost feel like it'd have to be in America. Western NJPW fans would be the ones who would get the most out of it.

That guy is gonna kick my rear end at the pay per view on Sunday.

Well, actually, he's not. I'm gonna kick his rear end.

Well, you know, that's... yeah. So, so... It's like, it's not gonna be a MAAATCH. Well, so, it's gonna be a match. But I'm gonna kick his rear end.

*this goes on for 10 minutes*

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 29, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Dave Meltzer going onto a tangent is great when it's something he clearly enjoys like new japan or stories when he was on the road in the 80s and 90s, because it reminds me of my mom (and I am sure some people's parents here) where you bring up a musician from when they were in high school or college age and they would just give this big 10-20 minute discussion about what happened and who was there, and then somehow talk about a movie for some reason, until losing track that you were simply pointing out the song was used for a Diet Soda ad.

I still wonder what they are gonna do when the Retro Nitros end, we are less than a year away!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

TelevisedInsanity posted:

I still wonder what they are gonna do when the Retro Nitros end, we are less than a year away!
do Raw and Smackdown up until Survivor Series 2001 when WCW finally died, then move Dynamite/NXT review to Tuesday night so the war can continue

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
The weekly TNA PPVs as a contrast to AEW

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bryan has said he’ll do it if someone pays him a million dollars

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

jesus WEP posted:

do Raw and Smackdown up until Survivor Series 2001 when WCW finally died, then move Dynamite/NXT review to Tuesday night so the war can continue

i swore he hinted once at recapping smackdown

also the black friday sale is on until midnight est, $3.99 for a month

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

he's right, and top 25 is being generous to John.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Has Tana even had 25 unique opponents in the last 5 years?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

its gotta be close lol

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

coconono posted:

I’m sure he’s had 25 unique opponents over the last 5 G1s, probably

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

Bryan has said he’ll do it if someone pays him a million dollars

A million for him and a million for Vinny.

I'd be very interested to see how far that gofundme got. Because you know if it gets to like. 800,000, Bryan and Vinny would have to at least THINK about taking the 400k each.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Going backwards chronologically:
1) Zack Sabre Jr
2) Will Ospreay
3) Bad Luck Fale
4) Kota Ibushi
5) EVIL
6) SANADA
7) Lance Archer
8) KENTA
9) Okada
10) Jay White
11) Taguchi
12) Shooter Umino
13) Kenny Omega
14) KUSHIDA
15) Michael Elgin
16) Togi Makabe
17) YOSHI-HASHI
18) Adam Page
19) Minoru Suzuki
20) Juice Robinson
21) Taichi
22) Naito
23) Ishii
24) Goto
25) Nagata

That only spans back to Summer 2017, going back a full five years adds AEW Superstar Billy Gunn, Adam Cole, Tenzan, Dalton Castle, Marufuji, Tama Tonga, Yujiro, Matt Sydel, Big Damo/Killian Dain, AJ Styles, Nakamura, Shibata, Toru Yano, Doc Gallows, Honma, Kojima, Mike Bennett, Shelton Benjamin, and Roderick Strong.

John Cena could probably put on a better match by some standards (maybe not Big Dave's) with several of these guys, but you could probably find 25 that would be 'better'.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Both Cena and Tana's bodies were starting to give out by Summer of 2017 (John basically tapped out less than a year later, Tana's still trucking along). I think the absolute best version of that match happens in 2015-2016, when Tana is still very much in his prime and Cena has fully discarded the trappings of Super Cena and has evolved into Grizzled Vet Big Match John.

Based on that, list, I think he could sneak higher than most people would be expecting, but, yeah, Tana's had plenty of better opponents and obviously it'd be nowhere near his feuds with, say, Okada or Naito and probably not AJ either.

I still think the atmosphere for that match if you ran it in the US in front of a hardcore crowd that likes both guys would be absolutely unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

He's had 42, per Cagematch, and some of these names are amazing.

Adam Cole
AJ Styles
Bad Luck Fale
Big Damo
Billy Gunn
Dalton Castle
Doc Gallows
EVIL
Hangman Page
HARASHIMA
Hirooki Goto
Hiroyoshi Tenzan