Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

SolarFire2 posted:

It may not reduce a planet to dust, but ramming it at lightspeed with a transport full of scrap metal would probably be enough to render the planet uninhabitable.

I read a paper about how all the planet-destroying poo poo in the Star Trek movies is totally unnecessary because every ship bigger than a runabout capable of warp could render a planet unliveable with a kamikaze run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

you guys are thinking about it too narrowly. you don’t literally use loving ships. the implication of that scene is you could just strap a hyperspace drive on an enormous durasteel rod for instance, or anything, and it functions as an enormous fleet killing rail gun

which while expensive, i am willing to bet whatever a whole stupid fleet of giant self propelled rail gun ammo costs less to build, maintain, and operate than one Death Star

which is why you think someone would have done before in star wars if that’s how hyperspace works/can work

like most everything in TLJ (and in rian johnson’s film career) it’s a very striking visual undermined by not making any sense because the writer is a dipshit

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The power of a light speed missile is insignificant compared to the power of the force

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

The power of a light speed missile is insignificant compared to the power of the force

*Lifts rocks*

See?

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mandrel posted:

you guys are thinking about it too narrowly. you don’t literally use loving ships. the implication of that scene is you could just strap a hyperspace drive on an enormous durasteel rod for instance, or anything, and it functions as an enormous fleet killing rail gun

the wreckage from an attack of this kind would likely fly through space faster through the speed of light and pose an enormous risk to both spaceships and star systems - this becoming widespread would almost certainly lead to the dearth of space travel and thereby galactic civilization

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bleck posted:

the wreckage from an attack of this kind would likely fly through space faster through the speed of light and pose an enormous risk to both spaceships and star systems - this becoming widespread would almost certainly lead to the dearth of space travel and thereby galactic civilization

dude they’re out there building gun planets to blow up other regular planets

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
You’d have to be a real freak to care one bit about the science in Star Wars, because there isn’t any.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Mandrel posted:

dude they’re out there building gun planets to blow up other regular planets

Tarkin puts it best in ANH - he more or less explains that the whole point of the Death Star is to make people too afraid to fight back anymore. it's not like they planned to go around just blowing up everything else for fun

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Bleck posted:

Tarkin puts it best in ANH - he more or less explains that the whole point of the Death Star is to make people too afraid to fight back anymore. it's not like they planned to go around just blowing up everything else for fun

shooting a big space rod through a planet would make people afraid also

it occurs to me as well that the Death Star is not very frightening or threatening in a galaxy where the Rebels could just long dick it with a bunch of empty cruisers taped together

also lol if you think they wouldn’t have been blowing up a bunch of poo poo for fun because Tarkin said so. Tarkin, who at that point had already used it to blow up two planets just for kicks and intended to blow up at least 3 more specifically. Tarkin, who is a skeleton wearing a skin mask and a nazi costume

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Hyperspace ramming is shown to be completely ineffectual in the movie; it's main effect on the plot is to knock Kylo down long enough for Rey to escape. Other than that, it does nothing to impair the First Order fleet or their ability to destroy the surviving Resistance forces.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Angry Salami posted:

Hyperspace ramming is shown to be completely ineffectual in the movie; it's main effect on the plot is to knock Kylo down long enough for Rey to escape. Other than that, it does nothing to impair the First Order fleet or their ability to destroy the surviving Resistance forces.

That's more because the FO's war machinery is Looney Tunes levels of impervious to damage in TLJ. They always got more, and it's always more powerful. It's lame hack poo poo.

DanTheFryingPan
Jan 28, 2006

Mandrel posted:

which is why you think someone would have done before in star wars if that’s how hyperspace works/can work

If posts this bad can exist, someone would've done it before you, OP. Therefore this post is implausible.

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Making the Empire sympathizers the scrappy underdog resistance and our heroes the representatives of a fledgling new republic dealing with an existential crisis would have been an actually interesting inversion of Star Wars mythos that made sense as a sequel trilogy, so it shouldn't be surprising Abrams and Disney twisted their plot into a pretzel to do the exact opposite.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Prince Myshkin posted:

Making the Empire sympathizers the scrappy underdog resistance and our heroes the representatives of a fledgling new republic dealing with an existential crisis would have been an actually interesting inversion of Star Wars mythos that made sense as a sequel trilogy, so it shouldn't be surprising Abrams and Disney twisted their plot into a pretzel to do the exact opposite.

this is what we would've got had TFA gone into production post-trump

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

I read a paper about how all the planet-destroying poo poo in the Star Trek movies is totally unnecessary because every ship bigger than a runabout capable of warp could render a planet unliveable with a kamikaze run.
Current definitions of kinetic energy give nonsensical values for superluminal speeds, and no one can really say what it would mean to a planet if something were to slam into with 50 imaginary terajoules. And Star Trek ships use some kind of trick to go faster than light anyway, which we know nothing about. Maybe it would just "destabilize the warp field" or whatever and the ship would crash at a much lower speed.

PT6A posted:

We have no idea what the actual context of that line will be in the film, though. Getting pissed off about how bad you imagine a film might be based on a line from a trailer makes no sense.

Hell, going by previous trailers, we don't know the line is even gonna be in the movie at all :v:

Mooey Cow fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 29, 2019

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Mandrel posted:

big space rod

Disney, call me. We have much to discuss.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Bruceski posted:

My favorite was "if hyperspace ramming were possible why isn't everyone already doing it with purposefully-made ships? Therefore it can't be possible and they messed up."

Nobody here is saying the bolded part, you dummy. They messed up by introducing an easy, immensely effective and relatively cheap way to majorly gently caress poo poo up. The argument isn't that it's impossible to do because it hasn't been done before, the argument is that it's dumb to introduce it because it makes the audience wonder why it hasn't been done before.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Horizon Burning posted:

this is what we would've got had TFA gone into production post-trump

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

You can tell the Death Star is more for intimidation because it's probably better to make 10 Star Destroyers each with a single-reactor Death Star cannon. As we can see in Rogue One, a single reactor fire can turn an area the size of the British Isles into a crater quite easily and this is probably all you realistically need to win a war most of the time. A moon-sized space station is probably more useful as a mobile space base that can also manufacture warships.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

*Lifts rocks*

See?

You never see a Jedi go Super Jedi and fly at light speed through the core of multiple planets. This is what should happen in TROS.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Freakazoid_ posted:

Why did the tusken raiders torture her anyway?

It mirrors Vader torturing Han Solo: “They didn’t even ask me any questions”. I like that Shmi’s torture sent out these psychic waves of pain that animated Anakin into falling into a moral pit, and then in ESB Vader uses that same tactic like an abusive father torturing his son for the same purposes. It’s easily the most sinister thing Vader does.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Pollyanna posted:

I'm fuckin sorry?

No, Im sorry.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

okay you made me laugh, but I would have loved if Finn pulled some of the poo poo from that SWTOR trailer...
you know the one.

Fakedit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToztqqDcaY This one

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lol he is loving that poo poo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

AccountSupervisor posted:

I mean the guys rise to power, sustain of that power and loss of that power and now quest to regain that power has primarily been at the hands of a Skywalker. Its heavily hinted at he "manifested" Anakin via the force so he kind of started the bloodline as we know it.

The dudes entire MO is almost "manipulate the Skywalker bloodline for my own gain"

What was "primarily at the hands of a Skywalker" about his rise to power? Power was sustained via the senate and then a big moon space station. Anakin was a bit-part player in Sheev's life, before taking a starring role in his death.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

sassassin posted:

What was "primarily at the hands of a Skywalker" about his rise to power? Power was sustained via the senate and then a big moon space station. Anakin was a bit-part player in Sheev's life, before taking a starring role in his death.

I dont know if Id call a Sith Lord playing a complicated long con to adopt a new apprentice, including manipulating him in the womb and then using him for decades to enforce his will as Anakin being a "bit-part player". He was integral to Sheevs plan, perhaps "primary" was too much, but manipulating the Skywalkers have always been a big part of his schemes.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

"he was so knowledgeable in the force that he could actually influence the midichlorians to create life" I'm so disappointed in myself I didn't see right then or since that, in his own way, that was kind of his own "I am your father" moment with Anakin.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's giving Anakin a speech about how Sith could create life while they watch a giant hologram of sperm surrounding a giant egg. It's not subtle.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Siegkrow posted:

okay you made me laugh, but I would have loved if Finn pulled some of the poo poo from that SWTOR trailer...
you know the one.

Fakedit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ToztqqDcaY This one

"Trooper? Why would anyone play a mundane when you can be a Jedi?"
*trailer comes out*
"...okay, sign me up."

I liked all the non-force character stories in that game.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

With the look Sheev gives him as he says that he might as well have winked at and nudged Anakin with his elbow.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

AccountSupervisor posted:

I dont know if Id call a Sith Lord playing a complicated long con to adopt a new apprentice, including manipulating him in the womb and then using him for decades to enforce his will as Anakin being a "bit-part player". He was integral to Sheevs plan, perhaps "primary" was too much, but manipulating the Skywalkers have always been a big part of his schemes.

Anakin wasn't integral to Sheev's plan. The only critical thing Anakin did was prevent his assassination, which might not have happened if the Jedi didn't first send Anakin to spy on him. If anything, Sheev overplaying his hand nearly got himself killed.

The fact that Sheev was able to use Anakin after the fact isn't evidence of "a complicated long con," its just basic management. Before that, he used Count Dooku and Darth Maul in a similar fashion. Should we suppose Sheev hosed their mothers as well?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Anakin wasn't integral to Sheev's plan. The only critical thing Anakin did was prevent his assassination, which might not have happened if the Jedi didn't first send Anakin to spy on him. If anything, Sheev overplaying his hand nearly got himself killed.

The fact that Sheev was able to use Anakin after the fact isn't evidence of "a complicated long con," its just basic management. Before that, he used Count Dooku and Darth Maul in a similar fashion. Should we suppose Sheev hosed their mothers as well?

He told Anakin he was a Sith knowing Anakin would tell the Jedi, which would set the assassination attempt in motion, hence clearing the way for ultimate rule. Anakin was a crucial pawn throughout

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVzc20Bm8Xo&t=510s

Edit: Rich saying "They essentially raped God."

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jewmanji posted:

He told Anakin he was a Sith knowing Anakin would tell the Jedi, which would set the assassination attempt in motion, hence clearing the way for ultimate rule. Anakin was a crucial pawn throughout

Let me double check that I have this straight: the thought is that Sheev magicked a baby into existence a backwater planet he has no connection with twenty years ago so that when the time came to get rid of the Jedi he'd have the perfect agent available to... hand over a simple message?

Don't get me wrong. It was absolutely Sheev's plan to entice the Jedi into overstepping their bounds, but to go from that to saying that he nearly got himself killed on purposeful is too much. That he was able to spin getting his face fried into political ammunition is a sign that he's political savvy and can adapt circumstances his advantage, not that he sat down at his desk and decided "and next I will dastardly trick the Jedi into irradiating my brain!"

Likewise, Sheev early played up his affability to present himself as a father figure to Anakin after the Jedi sent to spy on him. That doesn't make him his actual secret dad, that just makes him manipulative.

(Moreover, the fertilization imagery shouldn't be taken to exclusively refer to Anakin's "miraculous" birth, but also to Padme's pregnancy and his anxieties about childbirth.)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Schwarzwald posted:

Should we suppose Sheev hosed their mothers as well?

Dunno about should but I definitely do

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Anakin is one of many tragic victims of Sheev's plan, and a convenient tool, but he wasn't integral unless you go into weird EU bullshit where you take Shmi's claim that "there was no father, I raised him alone etc." to mean Sheev himself used Force Impregnate as part of an insane 4d chess long con to corrupt the glorious Republic with the long-prophesied "Sky Walker".

Sheev still wins the first two episodes regardless of Anakin's existence or involvement. His other apprentices are more important, while being similarly expendable.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DeimosRising posted:

Dunno about should but I definitely do

I joke, but lets be real -- that'd absolutely be reason to check out the comic.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There was unnatural no father the chosen one

Did lionel Hutz write this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Looks like Disney is rewriting history and removed Harrison Ford's cigarette from the promo reel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao