Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

V. Illych L. posted:

but yeah, well-known jewish intellectuals like chomsky and graeber are out and about pointing out the weakness of the labour antisemitism attack line and they're not getting traction at all, even in non-reactionary publications like the guardian. it's deeply disconcerting that such a transparent falsehood has become basically dogma

I thought Guardian was anti-Corbyn from the get-go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

mike12345 posted:

I thought Guardian was anti-Corbyn from the get-go.

they endorsed him in 2017 and are likely to do so again. the guardian is liberal centre-left, which means they support internal labour opposition over him, but when the chips are down they'll probably begrudgingly fall in line

also the guardian does normally care about things like truth etc. it's got a serious slant, but it's generally the place you go to escape how utterly reactionary the rest of the british press is

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

dunno the new guardian editor doesn’t seem like someone up to challenging the establishment in any meaningful way

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Viner is too busy commissioning think pieces with titles like "don't tell ME how long to look at art", "i used to hate eating eggs benedict. becoming a father changed all that", etc.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

bitmap posted:

when antisemetism is the cudgel of choice for beating your competition maybe just leave the sheet on that nazi sympathiser statue for three more loving weeks, jesus christ. is it incompetence? just utter disdain? nothing matters

lol why would they be careful about it when nobody in the media gives a poo poo

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

dpf posted:

Viner is too busy commissioning think pieces with titles like "don't tell ME how long to look at art", "i used to hate eating eggs benedict. becoming a father changed all that", etc.

do you have a link to that egg article? asking for a friend

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

dpf posted:

This is my all time favourite

Bryter has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Nov 29, 2019

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

It's no tattoo mum story tho

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
So a colleague found a video of the guy on London Bridge being "tazed" or so we thought...

An apparent plainclothes-officer has the guy pinned to the ground, a firearms officer pulls plainclothes off the attacker to get him clear while another officer with a bright yellow tazer takes aim...

Then the firearms officer just shoots the guy.

I have a feeling this story is going to stink.

EDIT: we thought the guy was going to get tazed because there is one video where you can't see the firearms officer and there is no sound, so it looks like he got tazed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
it was just some random bystander being pulled off because the guy got tackled by a bunch of them

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Is there like a Poe's law for the Guardian where it's impossible to distinguish between real and parody Guardian articles?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

frankly appalling that Corbyn didn't stamp out this sort of behaviour in London bridge, a Labour area

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Jose posted:

it was just some random bystander being pulled off because the guy got tackled by a bunch of them

OK, looked to me like he might have had a stab vest under his shirt but maybe the guy was just a bit lumpy.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ReelBigLizard posted:

OK, looked to me like he might have had a stab vest under his shirt but maybe the guy was just a bit lumpy.

It's pretty chilly in London today, it's probably just a jumper.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

surprised they didn't just close the paper after publishing that

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

don't much envy the cops that situation, though it did look like he was pretty well subdued. firearms officer probably thought he saw a bomb vest or a detonator?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Yeah, apparently the guy had a fake bomb vest on. Didn't really leave much choice for the armed police if that's the case.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

im the mainstream commentator who will hold a potential unlawful shooting by a police officer to account

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

guns don't kill people rappers do

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Clearly this means Britain is under attack and it would be foolish to change PMs while at war.

(Probable future take)

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

nah there was an actual no-poo poo terrorist attack during the last election and corbyn was pretty much fine despite saying "we need to reduce tension and care for our worst off as a matter of national security", it really was pretty remarkable - probably most of the people who get riled up about such things aren't going to vote for corbyn anyway, and it scored him points with the bleeding hearts

K9
May 6, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

firearms officer probably thought he saw a bomb vest

Dravs posted:

Yeah, apparently the guy had a fake bomb vest on. Didn't really leave much choice for the armed police if that's the case.

time will tell i suppose

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol no it won't

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

two members of the public died following the attack

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1200533264684990465

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

double whammy of terrorist and K N I F E K R I M E

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

oh. that is very unfortunate indeed

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DawnHFoster/sta...ingawful.com%2F

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Shot

Chaser

https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/1200530693614395393?s=20

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

New Watchdogs game looking good

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Weird promo for the new Postal game, but sure.

Sailor Cat
Aug 28, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol: The fat Spider-Man came from a BSS newspaper comic thread

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

V. Illych L. posted:

nah there was an actual no-poo poo terrorist attack during the last election and corbyn was pretty much fine

Corbyn still lost, though, so that's not all that reassuring.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Randler posted:

Corbyn still lost, though, so that's not all that reassuring.

People were predicted 30-100 seat Tory majority the day before, it was a humiliating defeat for the Tories even if they technically "won"

Watching the commentariat do the pivot from "Corbyn is going to lead the Labour party to disaster" to "Corbyn should have won against the worst Tory campaign ever" in real time was wild

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Terrorists recently seem to really dig launching half-baked attacks in the run-up to general elections, reminding people that the Tory status quo is the only party trusted to be tough on crime and terrorism.

The security forces must thwart loads of these kinds of amateur plots each year before they ever reach fruition, but somehow one always manages to slip through come election time.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

That’s reaching deep into tinfoil hat territory there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Refried Noodle posted:

That’s reaching deep into tinfoil hat territory there.

I am more than willing to give my life committing a Kamikaze attack for the glory of Boris loving Johnson.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I know this ruins the joke but to any intelligence agencies watching: this is absolutely sarcasm

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

to any intelligence agencies watching: 六四天安門廣場大屠殺

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

lmao