Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Hansa Teutonica at 3, 4, and 5P yesterday. Really appreciating the differences in player count for that game. 3P is much more fragile and has a more definite collusion problem if the third party doesn't join the scrimmage often enough, but I still find it interesting. I have the East map and wonder if that does anything to change/fix that. Have never played it, might play it at some point. Seems like the extra maps for Stephenson's rocket, which are pretty much a waste.

The east expansion is mandatory in my opinion, otherwise the game breaks down into scrabbling for actions. It greatly improves the game. The Britannia expansion on the other hand was not particularly interesting or engaging, we don't play with it anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Hey all, this is a massive thread and I used it last year for a christmas purchase of Labyrinth which went down a treat, so I'm looking for advice for this year on a suitable board game to purchase for my 6 (going on 7) year old niece and my sister and bro in law. Ideally looking for something similar in nature that is quick to set up, doesn't take overly long to get through a round of play and doesn't require shitloads of planning or strategy to enjoy (remember this is a kid with the attention span of.. a kid.)

They have a lot of board games already, the usual fare of monopoly, connect 4, clue etc etc - so I'm trying to find something quirky that they likely don't have, but is a well received game such as Labyrinth (honestly that game was perfect and we played it non stop as a family at christmas) - so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears as I've been trawling boardgamegeek but haven't found anything as of yet.

I was looking at Blokus, and wonder if anyone recommends that or if it's a bit boring?

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I think Blokus would get a bit dry for someone that age.

Of course the only real answer is Gloomhaven, but that's likely a bit outside of your price range so let's move along :v: .

Ice Cool is a pro tip. The Climbers is a slightly less straight-forward option that might still work very well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Yeah, it sounds bad but if they sold a "legendary box" like they did with Scythe that could fit everything in it comfortably without me playing a final round of tetris putting everything away every time... I'd grab it.

And yeah, I was reading about some strategies people were using and it sounds like animals can be nuts if you get them going properly.

I'm hearing there is a plan to make an AFFO Legendary box after The Danes is released next year. There's one more expansion planned after that, I think.

Currently I do have everything in the base box, which is everything excluding the Brettspiele Adventskalendar promos, but I did remove the action board and islands that were obsoleted by The Norwegians. Even so, there is no room for anything else at all.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Quirky Circuits is an excellent coop family game. It's super charming, and very easy to setup/play/learn, but I'm not sure if age 7 will understand the deduction/programming aspect of it (I will test it myself on my nephew during the holidays). The rulebook does recommend playing open hand with younger kids, so maybe those are sufficient training wheels to get into the game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dancer posted:

I think Blokus would get a bit dry for someone that age.

Of course the only real answer is Gloomhaven, but that's likely a bit outside of your price range so let's move along :v: .

Ice Cool is a pro tip. The Climbers is a slightly less straight-forward option that might still work very well.

OTOH if they’re excited about Blokus it’s time to teach them Go and get them a tutor.

Deep sea adventure, maskmen, pyramid’s deadline, Fae, the downfall of Pompeii. The last one will probably be very exciting for a kid. I know my group gets raucous when we play it.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Drop It is my recommendation. Very simple game of dropping pieces into a verticle board and trying not to touch a piece of the same shape/color. BGG says it's a half hour play time but if anything I think it's a little quicker than that.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Chill la Chill posted:

OTOH if they’re excited about Blokus it’s time to teach them Go and get them a tutor.

Deep sea adventure, maskmen, pyramid’s deadline, Fae, the downfall of Pompeii. The last one will probably be very exciting for a kid. I know my group gets raucous when we play it.

Survive! Escape from Atlantis is in the same vein as Pompeii, where you have to manage boats full of people while also playing sharks and whales on your opponents.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Thankyou all for the recommendations, I'll look into these :)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Diet Crack posted:

Thankyou all for the recommendations, I'll look into these :)

King of New York is a godzilla themed dice game similar to yahtzee and has gone over well with parents I’ve recommended it to

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Hansa Teutonica at 3, 4, and 5P yesterday. Really appreciating the differences in player count for that game. 3P is much more fragile and has a more definite collusion problem if the third party doesn't join the scrimmage often enough, but I still find it interesting. I have the East map and wonder if that does anything to change/fix that. Have never played it, might play it at some point. Seems like the extra maps for Stephenson's rocket, which are pretty much a waste.

The East map isn't double-sided and so might be too open at 3P.

Definitely changes the fight for extra actions though.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep

Bottom Liner posted:

I literally have to video myself opening my Feast and Spirit Island (both with expansions) boxes to be able to put everything back in a reasonable time.

I took out the insert and got a couple generic deck boxes to store cards in and a 3601 plano box to store the bits in and clean up/set up is pretty quick and it stores mostly flat with branch and claw and expansion spirits.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I forget who (Tekopo?) espoused Potato Man, but just tried it out 2p with my wife and that is a fantastic little trick taking game.

Plus, potato man beats evil potato!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Diet Crack posted:

Hey all, this is a massive thread and I used it last year for a christmas purchase of Labyrinth which went down a treat, so I'm looking for advice for this year on a suitable board game to purchase for my 6 (going on 7) year old niece and my sister and bro in law. Ideally looking for something similar in nature that is quick to set up, doesn't take overly long to get through a round of play and doesn't require shitloads of planning or strategy to enjoy (remember this is a kid with the attention span of.. a kid.)

They have a lot of board games already, the usual fare of monopoly, connect 4, clue etc etc - so I'm trying to find something quirky that they likely don't have, but is a well received game such as Labyrinth (honestly that game was perfect and we played it non stop as a family at christmas) - so if anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears as I've been trawling boardgamegeek but haven't found anything as of yet.

I was looking at Blokus, and wonder if anyone recommends that or if it's a bit boring?

[Extremely evilly] mouse trap

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Diet Crack posted:

Blokus is excellent, best at 2p and 4p but 3p still is good.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
I'd advise to check out Kinderspiel Des Jahres winners for fun children's games. It's a different jury than sdj and they do testing in kindergardens. mostly simple stuff where children have a chance in competing. Looping Louie is one, magic labyrinth too.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Kinderspiel_des_Jahres

discount cathouse fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Nov 29, 2019

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I was looking into the Arkham Horror card game. Is it true you need two copies of the game if you want to play with more than two people?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Are there any good board games out now with a Dungeon Master type role? Something like last Friday, mysterium, or descent. Where one player runs the game for others? My friend loves that poo poo

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Obscurio is kinda like mysterium with a traitor, which as described sounds awful to me but people who like that sort of thing thought it was good.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I was looking into the Arkham Horror card game. Is it true you need two copies of the game if you want to play with more than two people?

Yep. Technically you could probably make a set of four decks with the base game and enough expansions, but your deckbuilding options would be extremely limited so it's definitely not recommended.

NRVNQSR fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 29, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jarvisi posted:

Are there any good board games out now with a Dungeon Master type role? Something like last Friday, mysterium, or descent. Where one player runs the game for others? My friend loves that poo poo

Tragedy Looper is best in class here

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jarvisi posted:

Play hero quest.
Don't play hero quest.
Play hero quest.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

There's a dedicated thread for AHLCG here if you want to read more about it.

The problem with the core set is that it only comes with one copy of most player cards, in a game where you'd normally include two copies of the 'core' cards in a deck. If you're happy proxying cards, that's one option.

You also won't have much flexibility in deck construction with just the core set, especially with more than two players.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
How's Ceylon? Is it any good or yet another MWE?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Countblanc posted:

Tragedy Looper is best in class here

Tragedy Looper is a game I love but stresses me out so loving much and I'm so bad at it and oh god I want to play more but I'm so, so terrible at being the Mastermind.

Edit: I bought the expansion for 1/2 off when I saw it on sale a little while ago. If I ever get around to playing it, that will be quite the day.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 29, 2019

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

Yes. The two sets also helps out if you play 1-2p because each set only gives you one copy of most player cards. You get more deck customization options with 2 sets.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Hm ok. Doesn’t that make it pretty expensive/obnoxious to get into then, if you need to buy two copies of the same thing?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
You buy one, your friend buys the other. Card players are just thankful they don't have to buy 10 packs to maybe get what they need at this point.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Hm ok. Doesn’t that make it pretty expensive/obnoxious to get into then, if you need to buy two copies of the same thing?

You don't need two copies. My gf and I played through the first campaign with only a single set of core cards without any real issue.

I mean, yeah there are some cards that would be nice to have two copies of, but it's not necessary, especially since each character has limits on what cards they can put in their deck, and except for certain cards (low-level cards, or the generic class-less cards), there's not a lot of overlap between them.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
If you plan to use card sleeves you can totally print off proxy versions of cards you’d need from a second core.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jarvisi posted:

If you want something like tragedy looper but with mysterium’s complexity, psychic pizza deliverers go to the ghost town. There’s no set scenarios and it’s fast so you can switch the GM role quickly and easily. However, it is a JP-only game so you’ll have to import it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Only two copies of the base game. Everything else 1 copy.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013

If the goal is to play 3-4p, have the others contribute too!

However, I will say that if price is an issue, absolutely do not get Arkham LCG.
1) To get the full experience, you will want to get the deluxe expansion(s) to get the full (8-scenario) campaigns. Each campaign is 1 deluxe expansion + its 6 associated mythos packs $$$$$$
2) The core set campaign is 3 scenarios long and is really just a taster for the game. It absolutely is not worth 2 core sets just to only play the base campaign and nothing else.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

silvergoose posted:

I forget who (Tekopo?) espoused Potato Man, but just tried it out 2p with my wife and that is a fantastic little trick taking game.

Plus, potato man beats evil potato!

TWAS ME

maybe some other people too though

David & Goliath is another TT I will now heartily recommend

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Arkham Horror is very playable 2p with one core set, and you will basically know when you want a second after playing a while.

Llyranor posted:

If the goal is to play 3-4p, have the others contribute too!

However, I will say that if price is an issue, absolutely do not get Arkham LCG.
1) To get the full experience, you will want to get the deluxe expansion(s) to get the full (8-scenario) campaigns. Each campaign is 1 deluxe expansion + its 6 associated mythos packs $$$$$$
2) The core set campaign is 3 scenarios long and is really just a taster for the game. It absolutely is not worth 2 core sets just to only play the base campaign and nothing else.

It’s not all that bad, a lot of the scenarios are really neat and you only really need one copy of each one. I used to think of it as a physical MMO subscription, basically - until FFG FFG’d up the release dates and distribution so it’s no longer a pack a month. Plus, there are several one-off scenarios that are generally pretty good.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

The thread normally hateses it but honestly Blood On The Clocktower is probably something you should look into. Also Imperial Assault is Star Wars Descent.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

I'm going to suggest Dixit, it does depend on the kid but it can be a real winner.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jarvisi posted:

This is not strictly in the same area but how about Whitehall Mystery or Treasure Island?

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SoftNum posted:

The thread normally hateses it but honestly Blood On The Clocktower is probably something you should look into.

Make sure you hire someone from Pandemonium Institute to run it for you, I hear that's very important.

Aramoro posted:

This is not strictly in the same area but how about Whitehall Mystery or Treasure Island?

I'd definitely agree with Treasure Island. It really captures the information control dynamic of a DM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Treasure island definitely looks like his kind of poo poo, thanks! He's probably love imperial assault as well, except we're already in a gloomhaven campaign so that would be a bit too much!