Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I’m likely uninformed, but isn’t Australian English just a diversion from British English and US English and the largest differences are spelling and idioms? Is this instructor taking 40% off for spelling?
Yes. It's a communications and journalism course, so if the whole course is about writing to standards then it kinda makes sense, though still seems harsh to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I get that. I do. I have family ask me for medical advice all the time. The issue is I generally take these stories at face value. We have posters who straight-up make up facts to fit the narrative they want the story to have. This guy claims to have not just sent emails but also been a laborer at her worksite. He clearly contributed effort and didn’t expect anything back (with the exception of shared support). He didn’t want free work, he was hoping for a discount because they were essentially using shared resources in his eyes because he saw them as a long term item.

He understood the fact that she needs money to continue her business. He even states that he’d very likely come out ahead if they started billing each other at full rate. I think if he tried to do this sort of thing often, he’d be a huge dick.

Obviously all of this is predicated on whether you trust the guy. Honestly, I’m probably wrong I’m believing him, but at face value then yes, she was a dick and likely blew her relationship up because of this.

I have to hire/fire a decent number of guys because I can only keep a couple guys paid year round so I have to hire short term guys often and I travel all over, and the whole story just reeked of bad employee overvaluing his contributions. I mean if you want to call her TA because she didnt fairly pay him for the work he did, I can see that and this is what it gets her but all I'm reading is theres a disconnect between what she thinks hes done and what he thinks hes done.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I’m likely uninformed, but isn’t Australian English just a diversion from British English and US English and the largest differences are spelling and idioms? Is this instructor taking 40% off for spelling?

I assume its some standard format and grammar different from the standard US English. The spelling of "colour" as "color" would just be someone being deliberately stupid in an Australian journalism course.

Being proficient in technical writing is mostly "did you follow the format and style 100%?" and then docking points for minor grammar or spelling mistakes. Not following the format is basically a hard fail. Even not citing sources properly using the correct MLA or whatever standard they use is an automatic rejection for any publisher. If your margins are off standard you can expect to get an automatic rejection.

Communication and journalism I can understand because the standards for writing that format are super strict. Content being accurate not so much.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I totally missed that it was a journalism course. That makes it a bigger deal for sure

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for failing a student who refused to write in the correct language?

West Springfield? I'm at the wrong school!

Pretty loving sad that Australians have such a weak notion of language that they can't handle a few words spelled without extra u's. This is what happens when you have an entire nation of people huddled in their homes and beset by spiders and fire on all sides. Here in America, where at least I know I'm free to get shot by a cop, we can spell however we want. Our minds have expanded beyond the small necessities of grammar and into the more pressing realm of chicken wing prices and how many sticks of fried butter can be eaten.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Pinecone Sample posted:

She called me an arsehole...
Oh NOW she conforms to the styleguide!

Of course you're going to fail a journalism course if you're not following the format specified. That's half the point of the course, to teach you how to write for the audiences you'll likely be employed for. No one's writing for the L.A. Times and talking about lorry drivers on strike.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'd read an extremely scottish account on American news

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I'd read an extremely scottish account on American news

I'd watch American news if all the anchors had interesting accents

chris eccleston does the weather, david tennant's original accent for international events, faye marsay for local, brad pitt in snatch for literally everything else

Bill Brasky
Apr 13, 2008

I want to take a course in English English.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

FilthyImp posted:

Weren't you the one whinging on how mean the stereotypical cosmopolitan girlfriend was being to the bigots, because she threw their small-town hick ways in their face? :what:

No? I said in one line that it "probably didn't help" to get on them for where they live, in that situation, even if it were true. It's not like I was ever sympathizing with the people I called dumbasses and bigots.

Also: nice meltdown. Not as good as the last one, but good nonetheless. 6/10

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Bill Brasky posted:

So some bizarre amalgamation of every weird accent in England, taking elements of MLE, Brummie, Scouse, Yorkshire, East Anglian and West Country?

Yeah I'd be up for that

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

TheKennedys posted:

I'd watch American news if all the anchors had interesting accents

chris eccleston does the weather, david tennant's original accent for international events, faye marsay for local, brad pitt in snatch for literally everything else

Fun fact Brad Pitts character was re written from cockney to unintelligible Irish because he couldn’t do a British accent making it 1000x better.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Bill Brasky posted:

I'd love to take a course in Transatlantic English. I've always wanted to sound like an old-timey broadcaster.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Brad Pitt in the party scene from Inglourious Basterds please

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Do these people live in 1985?

Nah, just a place that was probably built in 1985 & barely maintained

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

haveblue posted:

Brad Pitt in the party scene from Inglourious Basterds please

A riva derchi.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Shasta Orange Soda posted:

Do these people live in 1985?

$350 a month is the low end for a mobile home park

Before anyone asks, there’s going to be a long waiting list

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ziv Zulander posted:

$350 a month is the low end for a mobile home park

Before anyone asks, there’s going to be a long waiting list

Well yeah, all those tweaker startups.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

You called her holier-than-thou for standing up for herself.

It's not a lazy put-down when they're literally playing the stereotype out.
And anyway, they were being idiots and it got turned around on them.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not taking a tubby with my girlfriend?

quote:

Hello Reddit, this is my first time making a post like this so please bare with me.

I'll try to keep this as clear as possible, but my girlfriend (24 F) basically kicked me out of the house she was housesitting and has been ghosting me because I (22 M) didn't take a tubby with her. And there is a good reason I didn't.

So for background info - when I was younger I basically was involved in a weird incident when I was taking a tubby. I really don't want to go into much detail, but all you need to know is that the incident left me with a feeling of shame and fear that I still feel to this very day - resulting in me NEVER taking tubbies.

To make matters worse, my girlfriend knows of the incident, and basically told me to "get over it" and that "just cause I had one bad experience with tubbies doesn't mean I can't take one with her."

Anyways - She is house sitting for one of her coworker while they were away for Thanksgiving. The house is beautiful, and everything is very modern and up-to-date. Me and my girlfriend live in a small apartment so this was a big change compared to our little apartment. It was fun being there with her, we were playing house and acting like it was our own place - yadda yadda - you get the deal.

So anyways, their bathroom is HUGE, and they have a really nice shower/tubby area. The tubby was huge, and has room for 2 people to fit comfortably. At our apartment, only one person can tubby at a time - which I don't care about because I don't tubby, and my girlfriend would never ask me to get in because it only fits 1 person.

So, finally she started hinting that she wants to take a bubble tubby with me, and I politely decline - thinking nothing of it (since we never tubby together). She seemed a little annoyed and asked me why I wouldn't join her, and that this was our one and only time we are able to share a tubby together. I said I didn't feel like it, and that I would hang out with her in the bathroom while she took the tubby. She FREAKED out and started telling me to "get over" my fear of tubbies and that I was acting like a child. I was hurt, and so I basically told her I would never ever take a tubby with her as long as I was living. She told me I was being childish and selfish, and that she feels like she's being treated like poo poo.

She told me to leave and hasn't responded to my texts in two days. It's only a matter of time before she has to come back to our apartment, but I'm feeling like an rear end in a top hat now and have been texting her a lot. AITA?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That is not what I thought "taking a tubby" would mean just from reading the title.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Why have a tubby when you can hit the drippini instead?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pinecone Sample posted:

This was skin-crawling to read. Eeesh.

Hello Ketene
Dec 30, 2011
lol :allears:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Pinecone Sample posted:

Tubbini

Edit: fb! Regarding tubby wimpman - are we taking bets on manchild vs aussie yet?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This was skin-crawling to read. Eeesh.

And that's why the American Girl got points taken off for not using the correct country idioms in a communication class!

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
How much Bad Divorce Advice can an MRA propagate before they're liable for providing faulty legal aid? these asshats all have the exact same playbook, i got to assume they're coordinating.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Something is probably wrong with a 22 year old using baby talk but then there’s also the entire rest of the post

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I thought "taking a tubby" would be a slam whale thing (in which case YTA for not taking a tubby).

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Lucrece posted:

[FL] Can I make family member sell their house to me if it was part of the estate?

honestly not owning a house in florida is the smartest thing you can do.

i'm posting this publically, not as a toxx but so it can be quoted for prescient insight in the future, but the united states government would sooner buy out the entire flooded state of florida than spend a single red cent preventing the sea levels from rising in the first place.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Tubbyphobia resides in America if he's talking about Thanksgiving

on a quick Twitter search I found scattered uses across the US and a couple in the UK, too

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

How much Bad Divorce Advice can an MRA propagate before they're liable for providing faulty legal aid? these asshats all have the exact same playbook, i got to assume they're coordinating.

You'd think that. The thing about being a stupid rear end in a top hat though is that they go with the first thing that sounds good so they usually draw the same conclusion.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for failing a student who refused to write in the correct language?

West Springfield? I'm at the wrong school!

How many assessments did this dumbass get back graded 10% and not get the hint? And would 55% have been a passing grade anyway?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You'd think that. The thing about being a stupid rear end in a top hat though is that they go with the first thing that sounds good so they usually draw the same conclusion.

Yeah, it’s always stuff like “drain the bank account so they can’t get a lawyer” and “get a fake address to change the venue” that sounds like effective underhanded tactics until you realize courts have seen it before and will absolutely come down on it, hard.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Pinecone Sample posted:

I love how all these freaks have a "so something happened and it haunts me to this day but don't ask for details" because its like a 50/50 chance it was either some traumatic PTSD thing or it was a complete non issue they refuse to address or move past.

Being afraid to take a bath because so serious sexual absue happened while in one is pretty legitimate to hate baths, and no reasonable partner would force someone to be that uncomfortable. Given how angry the girlfriend is getting it seems more like a "one time the water was brown and icky I can't ever take a bath again"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In the drip-drip waiting for the water to start,
Sat right down and took a shart

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I thought "taking a tubby" would be a slam whale thing (in which case YTA for not taking a tubby).

I figured it was slang for taking a dump

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

With or without prejudice? Husband installed spy-software on my computer, went to prostitutes, got an STD and passed it to me, hid all our assets, emptied our accounts, cancelled my insurance. I need help.

quote:

We had bought some gems as an investment, he told me he had a buyer for these and took them, but just gave them to his sister.

Look at these morons buying precious rocks instead of fractional shares of a business or municipal debt. All of my assets only exist on paper because I am smart.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh and construction wife mooch guy is definitely either unemployed or he's some low-level computer toucher which is why he considers helping her draft an email to be work. When he didn't charge her for "being a laborer" it was probably helping to move some lumber or picking up screws at home depot or whatever. Now she's probably got a crew of half a dozen skilled laborers to work on whatever the project is and he's asking her to eat the cost because he carried some nails and plugged in her printer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Pinecone Sample posted:

Tubbyphobia resides in America if he's talking about Thanksgiving

on a quick Twitter search I found scattered uses across the US and a couple in the UK, too

I was thinking it’s got to be an Australian term