Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

really love learning about american culture from reddit, for example now I know that in american households it's perfectly normal to let your dogs piss and poo poo under the dining room table and leave it there for someone else to clean up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

goethe.cx posted:

a lot to unpack here but this

means he's a republican, doesn't it

no, the part about being a Queens Russian and bragging about his parents making enough money to move out to a "renowned area" on Long Island does

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

no, the part about being a Queens Russian and bragging about his parents making enough money to move out to a "renowned area" on Long Island does

i have yet to encounter a queens russian in my lower manhattan bubble

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
AITA for not writing holiday cards to my husband's family out of principle?

quote:

The day after Thanksgiving, my husband and I went over to his parents' house. When I was chatting with his mother, she politely asked why we hadn't sent cards to them wishing a happy Thanksgiving. I told her I wasn't aware of such a tradition, as my family wasn't the sort to send cards of any kind (we don't even do birthday cards). She said to keep it it in mind for Christmas. I called over my husband, and told him that his mother wanted him to send cards for the holidays. Though I didn't think much of it then, my husband and his mother exchanged a look.

Below is a very poor approximation of the conversation we had when we got home. I believe all these points were brought up, though probably in a different order and with more fleshed out supporting arguments on both sides.

Husband: (jokingly) Make sure to set a reminder for a few days before Christmas so that you don't forget to write cards this time!

Me: It's your family. Shouldn't you write the cards?

Husband: I think it would be better if you do it. I'm not very good at this sort of thing, and I think it would make my mother happier to see it come from you.

Me: I am also not good at this sort of thing, and I obviously have far less experience with it (holiday cards) than you do. And you don't care enough to do it. Why do you expect me to care more about your family than you do?

Husband: I just think it would be easier for you than for me, and the outcome would be better. (getting annoyed) Is is that hard for you to do?

Me: I disagree that it would be easier for me. And I refuse to fall into the hole of bullshit administrative tasks that get relegated to women. I saw that in my own parents' marriage --

Husband: (very annoyed) Oh my God, not everything is about that! You're just arguing for the sake of arguing! You haven't even said that you hate the task itself! I've seen the cards you write your coworkers!

Me: Ok, I don't want to argue either. My coworkers, I write the cards. Your family, you write the cards.

To be fair, I do argue for the sake of arguing sometimes. Though I do not like the process of writing cards, I am good at it and I like seeing my coworkers' and friends' positive reactions. But out of principle, I do not want to become responsible for keeping track of my husband's social obligations. I have seen it in my parents' and in my friends' marriages, and it leads to huge resentment in the women. For my husband's own sake, better he suffer putting in a little effort than me blowing up over this bullshit.
Destroy them all for trying to make Thanksgiving cards a thing.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Biplane posted:

Wow, what a loving rear end in a top hat.

That's also a really loving bad idea, from a legal standpoint. If he dies after they are married the baby may not go to her, depending on where it happens and what his will says.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Mr. Lobe posted:

he's a petit bourgeois russian, that means his family's wealth probably came from the scraps from when the russian economy was smashed open and plundered like a piggy bank by a handful of plutocrats around the fall of the soviet union. I would not expect his politics to be especially progressive.

I dunno if a member of the bourgeoisie would talk about picking up after yourself instead of having the help do it, or be handy enough to finish a basement by themselves.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Batterypowered7 posted:

I dunno if a member of the bourgeoisie would talk about picking up after yourself instead of having the help do it, or be handy enough to finish a basement by themselves.

there's a big difference between bourgeoisie and petit bourgeoisie

it's the difference between a house in long island and a penthouse in manhattan

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

goethe.cx posted:

i have yet to encounter a queens russian in my lower manhattan bubble

They're friendlier than Brighton Beach Russians, I'll give them that.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Ziv Zulander posted:

I had brekky at Macca’s then pulled a sickie off work and drank a stubby :australia:

"Off work" is implied. Last half of sentence could be contracted into one word. Seriously, all this is covered in the style manual. See me after class.

Oh, efb. That'll learn me phone posting.

Miserable Maid posted:

God, I hate "Maccas". It doesn't even make sense! At least "Micky D's" sounds like the real name.

English and Aussie slang is always annoying, there's no natural line from words, so you know they forced the slang. Like a "that's so Fetch" kinda thing, pathetic

The Mac part is right there in the name! Unless you pronounce that some weird way in North America, like squirrel or whatever.

Aussie slang is easy: drop everything past the first syllable and add a vowel sound. Bottle-o, arvo, sickie, seppo, etc.

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 1, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

VanSandman posted:

That's also a really loving bad idea, from a legal standpoint. If he dies after they are married the baby may not go to her, depending on where it happens and what his will says.

Or just a moral one where he gives a drat about the people he "loves". Imagine preferring the state forcibly strip your kids mother from her life than deal with custody law. And not just now when she can remember, she could be 5 or 10 and have a deep bond with her mom. gently caress everyone who doesn't consider their kid in this poo poo.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MarcusSA posted:

They probably are.
They're probably all Republicans, just one group is diehard Trump lovers and the other is never-Trumpers.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for going to hooters?

This reminds me of when I was in the apprenticeship and went out to dinner with my classmates on the same side of town. We wound up going to Hooters. Next week at class, one of the guys says "man gently caress y'all, I got in a ton of trouble with my wife for going to Hooters!"

We were like :bigwhat: so he explained he got home with his leftovers to put in the fridge and his wife asked where we'd gone. He said Hooters, and she started giving him the cold shoulder all evening. Finally she took a shower and went to bed at like 730. So he went in and asked if she was ok and she yelled back "I'm not going to gently caress you after you were staring at all those other women!" and made him sleep on the couch.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

They're friendlier than Brighton Beach Russians, I'll give them that.

even the crazy guys shouting in subway stations are friendlier than brighton beach russians

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They're probably all Republicans, just one group is diehard Trump lovers and the other is never-Trumpers.

never-trumpers don't actually care if other people support trump. they just don't like that trump says the quiet part loud

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Elissimpark posted:

"Off work" is implied. Last half of sentence could be contracted into one word. Seriously, all this is covered in the style manual. See me after class.

Oh, efb. That'll learn me phone posting.

The Mac part is right there in the name! Unless you pronounce that some weird way in North America, like squirrel or whatever.

Aussie slang is easy: drop everything past the first syllable and add a vowel sound. Bottle-o, arvo, sickie, seppo, etc.

I'm an Aussie, but what the hell is seppo??

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Lucrece posted:

seppuku

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skypie posted:

This reminds me of when I was in the apprenticeship and went out to dinner with my classmates on the same side of town. We wound up going to Hooters. Next week at class, one of the guys says "man gently caress y'all, I got in a ton of trouble with my wife for going to Hooters!"

We were like :bigwhat: so he explained he got home with his leftovers to put in the fridge and his wife asked where we'd gone. He said Hooters, and she started giving him the cold shoulder all evening. Finally she took a shower and went to bed at like 730. So he went in and asked if she was ok and she yelled back "I'm not going to gently caress you after you were staring at all those other women!" and made him sleep on the couch.

What craft? If she gets offended by hooters I’d like to see her face if she hears how boilermakers talk.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Lucrece posted:

Seppo was the youngest Marx brother, he emigrated to Australia and his family never mentioned him again.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

goethe.cx posted:

never-trumpers don't actually care if other people support trump. they just don't like that trump says the quiet part loud
Checks out then since the mother dislikes his political views but he doesn't seem to have much issue with hers. Also explains why everyone else gets along. His family is rich and cares about appearances, hers is also rich but doesn't give a poo poo about living in dog piss.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Checks out then since the mother dislikes his political views but he doesn't seem to have much issue with hers. Also explains why everyone else gets along. His family is rich and cares about appearances, hers is also rich but doesn't give a poo poo about living in dog piss.

you know what, this is actually a great point

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Elissimpark posted:

it isn’t though. the restaurant is called McDonald’s.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Lucrece posted:

Short for 'septic tank', rhyming slang for 'yank', derogatory way of referencing Americans.

Also anyone being a snob about Australians calling McDonalds 'Maccas' can take it up with McDonalds:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Lucrece posted:

But why so much derision for the white ibis? Why is it called a bin chicken?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Skypie posted:

The only way to make amends is to give her a hall pass to tug off a male stripper.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Batterypowered7 posted:

We talking about handies again???

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

tactlessbastard posted:

We talking about handies again???

just german cellphones

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pinecone Sample posted:

no, the part about being a Queens Russian

This was confusing as hell to me until I realised you meant the location, not the person.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

goethe.cx posted:

just german cellphones

God damned german cellphones. They never work and always cut out while I'm walking into a German bordello while I'm talking to my husband.

I would gladly narrate my infidelity to my husband but German cellphone services are so bad.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA if I report a Purple Heart marine for fraud or maybe worse?

First thing is who are you going to report him to? Second thing is what happens when he says you're lying? (answer: nothing)

On my first tour we had a dude who wanted to go home really badly. So badly that he figured he could go home if he just hurt himself. So he went and intentionally broke his hand. He didn't get to go home. He got to stay where he was at, albeit with less pay and extra duty added to his regular work. And there was, of course, the pain of having a broken hand too.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 1, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Batterypowered7 posted:

But why so much derision for the white ibis? Why is it called a bin chicken?

they are named for their habitat

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Imagine not bothering to clean up piss and poo poo. Piss and poo poo under the loving dining table

Rip and tear the shitpiss family

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

How loving dare you say we are not clean the mom says as she props up the thanksgiving table with a dry turd

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Daughter. This MAN wants you to pick up your crusted panties off the floor into some bin? AND he wants you to clean for someone that isn't ME?! Leave him now, Cinderella.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

datajugend posted:

Imagine not bothering to clean up piss and poo poo. Piss and poo poo under the loving dining table

Rip and tear the shitpiss family

Who is responsible for cleaning up stripper semen though? :thunk:

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

spacetoaster posted:

First thing is who are you going to report him to? Second thing is what happens when he says you're lying? (answer: nothing)

On my first tour we had a dude who wanted to go home really badly. So badly that he figured he could go home if he just hurt himself. So he went and intentionally broke his hand. He didn't get to go home. He got to stay where he was at, albeit with less pay and extra duty added to his regular work. And there was, of course, the pain of having a broken hand too.

My drug addict brother joined the Army after 9/11. Not because he wanted to or felt it was a good thing to do, because it was either that or he'd be stuck with his addict friends across the country. So he came home, hosed around for a while, and finally went into the Army. He was stationed in Germany for a few years, never left the drat base. Never learned a word of German. Decided he wanted out, so he stood on a chair in his room, with a noose around his neck, waiting for his roommate to come back. This happened twice. He was offered treatment and all kinds of therapy, and he refused. Ended up leaving with a dishonorable discharge for something, and came back to the USA. Doesn't stop him from telling people he's a veteran and joined after 9/11 because it was the American Thing To Do.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Cowslips Warren posted:

My drug addict brother joined the Army after 9/11. Not because he wanted to or felt it was a good thing to do, because it was either that or he'd be stuck with his addict friends across the country. So he came home, hosed around for a while, and finally went into the Army. He was stationed in Germany for a few years, never left the drat base. Never learned a word of German. Decided he wanted out, so he stood on a chair in his room, with a noose around his neck, waiting for his roommate to come back. This happened twice. He was offered treatment and all kinds of therapy, and he refused. Ended up leaving with a dishonorable discharge for something, and came back to the USA. Doesn't stop him from telling people he's a veteran and joined after 9/11 because it was the American Thing To Do.

don't respond to known trumpist chud spacetoaster

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What craft? If she gets offended by hooters I’d like to see her face if she hears how boilermakers talk.

Electricians. This dude was kinda the baby of our class, joined right out of high school so he was 18. His wife was his high school sweetheart, they got married when he 22, maybe?

I remember he got the nickname "Cupcake" on a jobsite cuz he said that he and his then-fiancee were abstaining from sex til marriage. He got ribbed a little bit for it because construction workers, but then he tried to defend himself by saying "but we do other things, like bake cupcakes together!" and it was all over for him.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Who is responsible for cleaning up stripper semen though? :thunk:

Old cum is probably an improvement on the smell in turd house

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Skypie posted:

I remember he got the nickname "Cupcake" on a jobsite cuz he said that he and his then-fiancee were abstaining from sex til marriage. He got ribbed a little bit for it because construction workers, but then he tried to defend himself by saying "but we do other things, like bake cupcakes together!" and it was all over for him.

That’s loving amazing, I don’t know why he thought that would save him. Though that may just be general sparky weirdness. You guys are odd.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Skypie posted:

Electricians. This dude was kinda the baby of our class, joined right out of high school so he was 18. His wife was his high school sweetheart, they got married when he 22, maybe?

This is amazing in such an adorable yet helpless way. Like a dog with a cardboard tube stuck on its nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Ugh, going to Hooters for a work events is basically 'we wanted to go to the strip club but knew we'd get in trouble, so we went one step away' - it's entirely inappropriate for work events on the company dime. And 'lol that guy should see what it's like in industries with worse sexism' is not really an excuse that makes it ok. that guy sounds like a chode, but still, gross.

EDIT: It also basically reeks of the sort of dude-culture behavior designed to try and quietly push women out of such industries. Bc of course if you can't 'take the heat', get out of the kitchen, right? not our fault she couldn't handle a little mild sexual leering at a work event. ugh.