Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

War Nerd is killing it lately
What are the big ones I should listen to? I've been neglecting since the Hundred Years War episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

snoremac posted:

What are the big ones I should listen to? I've been neglecting since the Hundred Years War episodes.

All of them.

Recently enough, episode 205 the history of neoliberalism episode has a lot more insightful knowledge.

Ticks & Lyme Disease, Incan Empire, Genghis Khan, and Reconstruction as Dirty War are all good too.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

snoremac posted:

Figure out when they got the professional sound guy and start from there.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Brendan has been their sound guy since pretty early on.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Brendan has been their sound guy since pretty early on.

chapo brendan?

Stocking
Jul 24, 2007

a different brendan

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Brendan Anderegg is an ambient music guy.
http://lvl3official.com/brendon-anderegg/

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

genericnick posted:

Figure out when they got the professional sound guy and start from there.

the early episodes were actually amazing imo. the sound isn't "professional" but they shot the poo poo from the hip a lot more when they were still figuring things out.

The Cold War Counterinsurgencies and the Mormon Wars episodes were what really "hooked" me back then

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Does Dolan still sound like he's talking through an old flip phone that he's keeping inside a tin can while standing in a busy intersection during rush hour? I like most of his earlier written stuff and the old free episodes I've heard so far, but the production values are what's keeping me from the Patreon so far.

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

dolans phone line audio quality isn’t hi fi but it’s all intelligible like am radio, which I actually find clearer to understand talking than some higher quality audio recording.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Everything after the first 6 months(?) was perfectly fine. Maybe one or two exceptions for the weirder Dolan travel clusterfucks.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

dolans phone quality all depends on if he has yet been hexed by a local witch wherever he is staying

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
it's always a treat when he's in-studio because he has a good radio voice

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Funniest one was when he recorded his part of the episode on a McDonalds I think somewhere in the Middle East.

I dunno, I totally get the complaints about quality, but the reason why its so poor is the same thing that would stop us from getting our on-going weekly drama of "I wonder what rare disease John has picked up this time".

animist
Aug 28, 2018
im glad Dolan gets to travel the world nowadays tbh. he's had a lovely life, he deserves some leisure. plus it brings in more non-anglo stuff to talk about, too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I wouldn’t use “leisure” to describe Dolan’s life, but at least they don’t have to worry about money anymore.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think this episode is going to make me finally sit down and learn how to play EU4

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phone posted:

I think this episode is going to make me finally sit down and learn how to play EU4

For a long time the "survive as Byzantium" strategy was to ally Venice and trap the Ottoman army on Corfu.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Phone posted:

you get better Venetian gameplay in CK2 because it does more to model merchant republics. Although, EU4 has all that trade steering.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

these venice episodes have properly sparked my imagination, i have to do some further reading now.

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010
Love my flooded, plague-ridden grandad

THS
Sep 15, 2017

gh0stpinballa posted:

these venice episodes have properly sparked my imagination, i have to do some further reading now.

yeah really makes you want to build a merchant republic and a few galleys

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you get better Venetian gameplay in CK2 because it does more to model merchant republics. Although, EU4 has all that trade steering.

Missions+Government Expanded does a lot of cool poo poo for Venice

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Venice was also a super interesting Civ in Civ 5 in that it bought city-states rather than send settlers out and it got double trade routes and raked in insane cash.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

snoremac posted:

Venice was also a super interesting Civ in Civ 5 in that it bought city-states rather than send settlers out and it got double trade routes and raked in insane cash.

I just played it with friends, actually. Random civs.

It's fun, but also frustrating. Only getting puppets besides your capital limits you a lot, and you leave so much prime real estate empty because you have no settlers. Iron, coal, luxuries, all left there unexplored. I kept hoping someone would make cities in nearby choice spots so I could at least take them over. Also, it's super easy for a player to shut you dpwn by just hovering near your capital and eating all your trade routes.

Based on the episode, though, they should have better spies and expanded navy options.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Sephyr posted:

I just played it with friends, actually. Random civs.

It's fun, but also frustrating. Only getting puppets besides your capital limits you a lot, and you leave so much prime real estate empty because you have no settlers. Iron, coal, luxuries, all left there unexplored. I kept hoping someone would make cities in nearby choice spots so I could at least take them over. Also, it's super easy for a player to shut you dpwn by just hovering near your capital and eating all your trade routes.

Based on the episode, though, they should have better spies and expanded navy options.

Venice sucks in multiplayer because they're incredibly easy to shut down for the first 60% of the game after which they become an unstoppable juggernaut so you just end up getting murdered on sight

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
What's the best way to listen to this pod? It's subscriber-only, right?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
I found it by searching War Nerd in my regular podcast app

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

shirts and skins posted:

What's the best way to listen to this pod? It's subscriber-only, right?

they've released some free ones but most eps are paywalled

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
marcie smith, the interviewee from the gene sharp episode, recently published this in jacobin:

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/12/gene-sharp-george-lakey-neoliberal-nonviolence

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

They don't release free episodes nearly as much as they should, but there's still dozens of hours of free content.

dpf
Sep 17, 2011

Annibale is the best guest

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just started listening to this, it owns bones.

Which one of the hosts is the one who sounds exactly like Ted Danson? or is that just me?

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Finicums Wake posted:

marcie smith, the interviewee from the gene sharp episode, recently published this in jacobin:

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/12/gene-sharp-george-lakey-neoliberal-nonviolence

Good. The more people on the Left who realize what Gene Sharp's project was the better.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
195: Dolan says ‘troll oops i mean lurk’

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Remulak posted:

195: Dolan says ‘troll oops i mean lurk’

the exact moment he realizes his mistake, colorized:

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i thought he said "trawl"

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wouldn’t use “leisure” to describe Dolan’s life, but at least they don’t have to worry about money anymore.

he has more important things to worry about, such as whether or not to cross the street to avoid walking on a bulls-eye painted onto the sidewalk

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gh0stpinballa posted:

i thought he said "trawl"

yeah this is what he said, just reading

back in the early 2000s that was how I interpreted trolling, since you're 'trawling' through the thread, laying bait or casting a net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i say swears online posted:

yeah this is what he said, just reading

back in the early 2000s that was how I interpreted trolling, since you're 'trawling' through the thread, laying bait or casting a net

That was the idea behind it yeah, from the same era as phishing etc. Early internauts knew the web was like the sea,, beautiful and deadly in equal measure