Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Xenoblade 2 is pretty fun and at this point people may as well sit on 1 so they can play it without the muddy Wii graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah you should really wait for xenoblade 1 switch if you're gonna play it cause the new character models alone are leagues better than the stiff old wii ones

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I like Vesperia but it's real dated.

Xenoblade 2 is absolute garbage though. Terrible combat, worse writing and loving faux gacha systems.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Xenoblade 2 is very divisive, but I enjoyed it and the Torna dlc is really good. One thing everyone will agree on though is that Monolith Soft can't make a drat decent menu to save their lives. If you have the "must have everything" brain worms the gacha system will be frustrating, though.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

MotU posted:

Delay Delay Delay Delay also you should Delay the enemies

Yeah, I tried again, got the dogs in a good position for Rean’s crafts and basically locked them down for the fight.

You can get one hit koed if the enemy can’t act :EddieMurphy:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

yeah you should really wait for xenoblade 1 switch if you're gonna play it cause the new character models alone are leagues better than the stiff old wii ones

Fingers crossed that they try to improve the UI.

My biggest struggles were finding Heart-to-Hearts, knowing what presents people like and finding the people to trade to get that stuff.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

Xenoblade 2 is very divisive, but I enjoyed it and the Torna dlc is really good. One thing everyone will agree on though is that Monolith Soft can't make a drat decent menu to save their lives. If you have the "must have everything" brain worms the gacha system will be frustrating, though.

I just want KOS-MOS but she feels like she has even worse rates than FGO for fucks sake

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Nov 30, 2019

Barudak
May 7, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

I just want KOS-MOS but she feels like she has even worse rates than FGO for fucks sake

She's like a .01% drop rate even after boosting all your luck to max

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

She's like a .01% drop rate even after boosting all your luck to max

Yes, I know. Trust me, I know.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the gamestop order trip report:

wild arms 4 and mmx command mission were disc only

shadow hearts 3, grandia 3, romancing saga, mana khemia, radiata stories all came in original case but the discs inside were still in an envelope because that's basically how gamestop does it

considering gamestop has maybe one year left before they're either bought out, go toy/comic-only, or shutter entirely, i'm gonna try to fill out my collection in 2020... but much like with amazon sellers it's gonna be a little bit of roulette with the disc quality/readability

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Mill Village posted:

Vesperia Definitive Edition has a terrible dub for the new lines because Namco was too cheap to rehire Troy Baker. .

Given he literally uses the same line whenever he feels like not working on a non-union project it was definitely Baker doing the union solidarity thing and not Bamco being cheap.

The result is still the same of course but he simply didn't want to do it as he's a core spokesperson for the union.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i like how berseria's primary means of fixing the combat is "we gave the main character the ability to completely ignore the most annoying aspects of it with a button press"

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
but it's a cool button press. velvet breaking souls always felt badass and very satisfying

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

cheetah7071 posted:

I probably spent a full year crafting poo poo to beat the superbosses

Better Meruru's lax time limit than Totori's strict one, but removing the time limit entirely a few games later was the right move

Oh mind you, I loved the game and it is definitely my favorite of the trilogy, I just rush every game I play after a certain point(unless they're extremely short) and it happened that this time there was a very long segment to blast past.

I feel that this would be the one that I'd replay to get more side story stuff and a larger synthesis completion, if I ever consider doing something like that.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The 7th Guest posted:

shadow hearts 3, grandia 3, romancing saga, mana khemia, radiata stories all came in original case but the discs inside were still in an envelope because that's basically how gamestop does it

That's actually the smart way to do it if they're coming in the mail. Stops the disc popping out in transit and getting scratched as it bounces in the case due to rough handling.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
March 2020 decided it didn't have enough rpgs, adds the fairy tail Gust one in 20th

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That's actually the smart way to do it if they're coming in the mail. Stops the disc popping out in transit and getting scratched as it bounces in the case due to rough handling.

huh that would explain why the TTYD disc i got a few years back was wrapped in all that packaging

ofc either the disc itself was mildly damaged to begin with or the family wii had issues with its disc reader after an entire decade, but the wii stopped being able to read the disc every so often until it literally happened like halfway into the shadow queen fight and i went gently caress it :negative:

Wordnumber
Jan 13, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

Given he literally uses the same line whenever he feels like not working on a non-union project it was definitely Baker doing the union solidarity thing and not Bamco being cheap.

The result is still the same of course but he simply didn't want to do it as he's a core spokesperson for the union.

Baker claimed a while back that they flat out didn't even ask for him to reprise, which is consistent with them doing the same for most of the Symphonia cast

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

CYBEReris posted:

i like how berseria's primary means of fixing the combat is "we gave the main character the ability to completely ignore the most annoying aspects of it with a button press"

tbf berseria was, doing its best to make big quick fixes to the mechanics of a game that was completely and utterly botched and it didn't really have the time to do a proper full shift away from, so that was kind of, the best they could do with what they had lol

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mill Village posted:

Vesperia Definitive Edition has a terrible dub for the new lines because Namco was too cheap to rehire Troy Baker. They got this guy who sounds like a bad imitation. It’s hilarious in battle when you use new and old moves and get this tonal whiplash. Judith’s new actor is even worse. She doesn’t bother trying to sound like the original voice. Patty and all the returning cast from the original dub are fine.

I think the release is a bit disappointing because it has no QOL changes at all. It still has the same terrible sidequest design and spoon feeding of new abilities. I followed a guide religiously and I still managed to break one of the sidequests.

And yet the voice acting in Vesperia is still way better than XB2. It's like they did 2 takes without any direction and took the least bad one. Goddamn that was some terrible VA.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i would say rex is the only bad va in xb2 but it's been a while. but any game that uses accents to further the world building is cool in my book

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Wordnumber posted:

Baker claimed a while back that they flat out didn't even ask for him to reprise, which is consistent with them doing the same for most of the Symphonia cast
Looking up the Symphonia cast, I can see why. Practically all these actors are waaaay bigger and all union now. I think the localization department had to know their budget just would not be able to get any of these VAs back.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Vesperia only has a good rep because all the JRPG dorks owned PS3s when it came out, and built up a myth around "the best Tales game you've NEVER played!!" i played it at launch, it's exactly as mediocre as the rest of the franchise, as always with some fun character writing and a moronic plot full of technobabble. and this is from someone who legit enjoys the PS2 version of Abyss.

it also had the Symphonia advantage of being the first Tales game a lot of people played, and the shared flaws of the series aren't nearly as noticeable in that context, especially when you're busy losing it over the fresh new battle system.

Million Ghosts fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 30, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Wordnumber posted:

Yeah but he's used the same line for returning to non-union projects several times now, even in spots where the studio claimed to have contacted him. It's an obvious pattern.

He flat out doesn't want to do non-union work and is using likely a union fed line to keep from facing blowback from the fans.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Which is sad because not wanting to do non union work is fairly understandable

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Looper posted:

i would say rex is the only bad va in xb2 but it's been a while. but any game that uses accents to further the world building is cool in my book

Honestly the VA outside Rex and the nopon is like the one thing about XB2 I liked.

More Welsh, Irish and Scots VAs please.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

CYBEReris posted:

yeah you finally get the good stuff that the boss battles seem to always use

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And yet the voice acting in Vesperia is still way better than XB2. It's like they did 2 takes without any direction and took the least bad one. Goddamn that was some terrible VA.
loving lmao

spoken like a person who has never listened to any voice acting from XB2 except that one really bad Rex yell

the delivery is excellent and they went out of their way to get a wide range of british actors for it

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The cat girl in XB2 was good but everyone else left left me cold, especially Pyra and Rex which is a bad one two punch when they do most of the talking.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rex is fine when he is not trying to yell

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Barudak posted:

The cat girl in XB2 was good but everyone else left left me cold, especially Pyra and Rex which is a bad one two punch when they do most of the talking.

Pyra's issue isn't really her voice acting (it's fine) but the fact her fanservice design doesn't really fit her character which is an issue in both languages.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

the XB2 dub seemed alright but the JP was great so I never felt the need to check it out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

loving lmao

spoken like a person who has never listened to any voice acting from XB2 except that one really bad Rex yell

the delivery is excellent and they went out of their way to get a wide range of british actors for it

British, Welsh, Scottish, and even Australian VA's. Each Titan nation has their own accent used.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm starting to think P3P's downgrade in presentation is not going to push me to finish it. Might have to go FES on it, even if I have to go Minato.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Tae posted:

I'm starting to think P3P's downgrade in presentation is not going to push me to finish it. Might have to go FES on it, even if I have to go Minato.

The lack of cutscenes or the visual novel approach instead of walking around?

As great as the cutscenes are I really stopped noticing it after awhile.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
losing out on the walking around kinda sucks but the og writing in persona 3 has really bad lows compared to femc where you can avoid the worst of it. most of the social links exclusive to male mc are only entertaining for how hilariously bad they are

big fan of the guy whose entire arc is going from "i want to gently caress my teacher" to "i guess you just cant have sex with your teacher"

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 1, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The blocking and framing of the character models showing is what I'm missing from my SMT fest.

It's only really noticeable as a big flaw for me in P3 because it is arguably the most backloaded rpg ever, with 90% of the game's actual story in the last few months.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Colonel posted:

big fan of the guy whose entire arc is going from "i want to gently caress my teacher" to "i guess you just cant have sex with your teacher"

If only Atlus had learned that lesson for P5

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

losing out on the walking around kinda sucks but the og writing in persona 3 has really bad lows compared to femc where you can avoid the worst of it. most of the social links exclusive to male mc are only entertaining for how hilariously bad they are

I will say to pick FES over P3P every time if you're in it for the story, but I fully agree it's got problems. Like every female Social Link only having a romance path, so you're stuck cheating on multiple girls whether you like it or not and nobody stopped to question this during development.

(Wasn't the reason given something lovely like "Boys being platonic friends with girls? What an absurd idea! :pseudo:")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

The Colonel posted:

extremely good in the same game where one of the other social links is a teacher going from "I want to gently caress this person I met in an MMO" to "Oh poo poo that's my student"