Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

`Nemesis posted:

This is supposedly the largest operating counterblow hammer in the world, and it's only a few miles from me. A buddy works at this place and they do defense work so zero chance of getting to see it in person.

Man, the Stephen King book/movie writes itself...
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

GotLag posted:

Two questions about this:
1. What is the fragment that fucks off skyward on the right edge of the video frame at about the 0:20 mark?
2. How was this even supposed to work? The boom must have been going to strike the crane on the right no matter how slowly they lowered it.

I think 1. is the brake exploding.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I wonder how he got the second ladder up there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

`Nemesis posted:

This is supposedly the largest operating counterblow hammer in the world, and it's only a few miles from me. A buddy works at this place and they do defense work so zero chance of getting to see it in person.

What kind of defense work do that to with that? Like smash terrorists?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Is there a certain point where something like say a giant crankshaft that needs to be machined would just sit mounted on (whatever the gently caress rigid fixture) and the machine tool itself would move rather than the crank?

Depends on how round it needs to be, there are some really huge gantry mills out there that can cut giant circles but there's imprecision due to the X/Y/Z cartesian nature of the machine, any kind of shafting is always going to turned and ground on however big a lathe it takes.

What you're thinking of is used sometimes for super high-volume production of small parts so they can feed the machine straight off coiled wire stock instead of having to stop and change bars. Even with automatic bar changers that lost cycle time is significant over a long enough run. I'm having trouble imagining an application for it that wouldn't be better served by cold forming though.

https://www.mmsonline.com/articles/a-lathe-that-doesn39t-turn-the-workpiece

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 1, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I've been there also, it's amazing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

null_pointer posted:

Short answer:

Can't find the actual official report, though, to substantiate.

Assuming this is reading the report correctly what possible use would there be to let a crane lift go into freefall.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

Is there a certain point where something like say a giant crankshaft that needs to be machined would just sit mounted on (whatever the gently caress rigid fixture) and the machine tool itself would move rather than the crank?

They do this for railroad car wheels, giant ball valves, and valve seats for marine engines. I'm sure other things, but I know of those for sure. They tend to be budget options as a stationary machine tool can do a better job.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cojawfee posted:

What kind of defense work do that to with that? Like smash terrorists?

They don't solely do defense stuff, so I can't say that machine is part of that, but I know my friend has to do a lot of work with inconel and other stupid expensive alloys, something with jet or helicopter engines I think?

I know it used to be used to forge missile parts, and the company had previously made parts for the space shuttle.

Skip to 6:50 for the start of the sequence: https://youtu.be/MvADC43EHmE

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

gently caress everything about working underground. My dads almost been killed twice (that he's willing to talk about) and one of his cousins was killed instantly when a mining train jumped the tracks and pinned him against the drift wall.

One of the times he almost got it was drilling. He and his partner were using jack leg drills on a drift. His partner stopped, told my dad to put his drill down because theyre going to the break room for a smoke (weird because normally for a cig you just stop and spark up) and when they came back their drift was about 100' shorter and their hoses were just sticking out from the bottom of the pile of rock at the end.

His partner either got tipped off by a time traveller, had spider sense, or they just got really lucky.

There's a reason msha tends to not gently caress around like OSHA does.

My old man was caught in an air blast where a pressure differential blows out a bunch of rock. He somehow lived.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Kibayasu posted:

Assuming this is reading the report correctly what possible use would there be to let a crane lift go into freefall.

Oh, that's what the rumor is about -- the operator was inexperienced, hosed up, and let the boom go into freefall. Then blew up the drum brake trying to catch it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

null_pointer posted:

Oh, that's what the rumor is about -- the operator was inexperienced, hosed up, and let the boom go into freefall. Then blew up the drum brake trying to catch it.

Right, but even assuming that is not what happened in that video, why would you ever want the lift to go free and put in a lever that makes that happen?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Kibayasu posted:

Right, but even assuming that is not what happened in that video, why would you ever want the lift to go free and put in a lever that makes that happen?

Perhaps when you have the load on the ground, and you want to give the riggers some slack to work with.

You couldn't really lower it under power at that point since the load wouldn't actually be pulling on it.

Old Balls McGee
Nov 2, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe if there was no load on the hook, and you needed to lower the blocks it would be faster to let them free fall and slow them down with the brake rather than try to drive them down? I am not a crane person, btw.

The big yellow things in the 2nd picture are never supposed to be below the floor in the 1st picture, fyi. There's usually not even a hole big enough to let them do that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
ICE is deporting one of the main witnesses in the Hard Rock Hotel collapse

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

A third ladder that fell off the second loader

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulIcekOTOqg

Here's a small documentary about the goon zipline of waterslides that decapitated the Kansas Secretary of State's Son.

For anyone who missed it in the last thread, the whole thing was like poking a wasps nest, only instead of wasps it was the vengeful gods of OSHA violations:

quote:

Officials in Wyandotte County, Kansas, where it was to be built, were delighted when the company announced the plans in 2005, seeing Schlitterbahn's plan as the culmination of efforts to draw residents of the Kansas City metropolitan area to spend their disposable income in Kansas rather than Missouri. State legislators from the area passed a law allowing Schlitterbahn to "self-inspect" its attractions as it did in Texas, unlike all other amusement parks in Kansas, which were subject to state inspection.

quote:

Engineers who inspected the ride also commented that the ride's netting, used in areas where riders travel up to 70 miles per hour (110 km/h), "posed its own hazard because a rider moving at high speeds could easily lose a limb if they hit it". Their findings revealed that the use of the metal brace and netting system in the design, along with the use of hook and loop straps to restrain the riders, went against guidelines set by ASTM F-24 Committee on Amusement Ride and Devices. According to the guidelines, Verrückt should have incorporated the use of a rigid over-the-shoulder restraint for riders, and an upstop mechanism to prevent the rafts from going airborne.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verr%C3%BCckt_(water_slide)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Why does a water slide need to go 70mph?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Cojawfee posted:

I'm going to guess "cocaine."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Who said "need"?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Please note the second person in the picture in the yellow hi-viz directly under where the limbs are falling.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cojawfee posted:

The ever escalating amusement park wars. Everything has to be bigger, faster, and more intense.

Roller coasters peaked 15 years ago with Kingda Ka and no one has been willing to go bigger. So water slides became the new frontier.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I just really don't want to be strapped into something that goes really fast on water and ends in a big pool. With my luck, it ends up upside down and the teenager from Lithuania can't get the restraint release to work.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I just really don't want to be strapped into something that goes really fast on water and ends in a big pool. With my luck, it ends up upside down and the teenager from Lithuania can't get the restraint release to work.

It could be worse, you could get thrown out and be eviscerated by a conveyor belt so badly that your corpse traumatises paramedics :smith:

"Thunder River Rapid Ride posted:

On 25 October 2016, a malfunction of the Thunder River Rapids Ride resulted in the deaths of four people.This is regarded as the worst accident at an Australian theme park since the 9 June 1979 ghost train ride fire at Luna Park Sydney. For reasons yet to be determined, one of the rafts, which was also occupied, became stuck at the bottom of a conveyor belt that transports the rafts to the area where passengers disembark. Another raft carrying six people then collided with it, bouncing two of the first raft occupants into the conveyor belt that transports the raft from the bottom of the ride to the boarding area and dragging the other two under the ride's conveyor belt.

Queensland Police Forensic Team investigate an accident on the Thunder Rapids River Ride that claimed the lives of four people.
Park operators stopped the ride and started draining the river, over 7 paramedic crews responded to the 000 call along with firefighters and police. The recovery of the bodies went on into the early hours of the next morning with some paramedics requiring counselling due to the trauma of the scene.

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

So you don't get stuck in the loop

monolithburger fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Dec 1, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

I saw the top ladder and was like "wow that's loving dumb" and then I saw the bottom ladder. What the gently caress?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

At the beginning of the season, a team of Sherpas goes up and places ladders for the summit expeditions to use.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

I think the thunder river rapid ride accident is where the phrase "injuries incompatible with life" came from.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Kibayasu posted:

How else are you going to lift things really high up and then smash them into the ground?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

On my last vacation I went on a water slide that put you in a tiny capsule and then opened a hatch beneath your feet to drop you into an enclosed tube of churning water

It felt like drowning in a car accident. 5 stars.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, once I went on this insane dual slide that was two tubes intertwined around each other in the double helix formation. By the time you got about halfway down, the water was so churned up and crazy that you were basically underwater. Most people hit the bottom gasping for breath, as they hadn't thought holding their breath was a requirement when going on a slide. I watched it after for a bit as well, and not a single person went for another trip down, one was enough for everyone.

This sort of thing:

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 1, 2019

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

monolithburger posted:

edit:

So you don't get stuck in the loop

Oh gently caress that noise

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Yeah hard pass on that death trap.

Also the Schlitterbahn slide - not sure how it wasn’t obvious that freestanding metal framing would severely injure someone colliding with it at 70 mph. Also imagine being dragged against netting at 70mph.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/CQQa9P1.mp4

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

your mom's dildo has arrived

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just wait till you see her big one.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

mycomancy posted:

Oh gently caress that noise

There's nothing in the world like Action Park!

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I think the thunder river rapid ride accident is where the phrase "injuries incompatible with life" came from.

Imagine the guts of an escalator, mixed with a murky, watery grave. It would be less gruesome to give them the Fargo treatment in a woodchipper.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

So a garbage disposal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Solice Kirsk posted:

So a garbage disposal.

Way WAY less fast or clean. A garbage disposal sized to fit a man would be about as quick a death as bomb difusal in your boxer shorts. This was more like a sharp, jagged version of one of those taffy pulling machines.