Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Sereri posted:

UN missions are generally good, no?

I used to think that. But on the other hand you send a bunch of dudes in the worst possible age bracket(around 20), after they have proven that they make bad life choices (joining the army) into a culture they couldn't give a gently caress about. At some point you have to rethink the program if you keep causing the problems you are nominally here to solve.

""2010s Haiti cholera outbreak - Wikipedia" posted:

The cholera outbreak began ten months after the January 2010 earthquake, leading some observers to wrongly suspect it was a result of the natural disaster.[19][20] However, Haitians grew immediately suspicious of a UN peacekeeper base, home to Nepalese peacekeepers, positioned on a tributary of the Artibonite River.[21] Neighboring farmers reported an undeniable stench of human feces coming from the base, to the extent that local Haitians began getting their drinking water upstream from the base.[22] In response, United Nations Stabilization Mission in Haiti (MINUSTAH) officials issued a press statement denying the possibility that the base could have caused the epidemic, citing stringent sanitation standards.[23] The next day, 27 October 2010, Jonathan M. Katz, an Associated Press correspondent, visited the base and found gross inconsistencies between the statement and the base's actual conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

A German would never waste valuable poo poo by just flushing it down the river

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
Every political party, aside from Die Linke, in the Bundestag has welcomed the coup in Bolivia as a great step towards democracy and happily ignored any massacred indigenous protestors thereafter. So I'd rather take the "utopian" Linke foreign policy over any of the other parties.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spice World War II posted:

Every political party, aside from Die Linke, in the Bundestag has welcomed the coup in Bolivia as a great step towards democracy and happily ignored any massacred indigenous protestors thereafter. So I'd rather take the "utopian" Linke foreign policy over any of the other parties.

Plus die Linke are the only party to recognize the ongoing atrocities committed by the Israeli government, whereas other parties can't wait to ship more weapons to kill Palestinian children with

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

genericnick posted:

The who was my question, yes? What parties own press in Germany? Usually you do it the other way around. For example in Austria, Raiffeisen has a stake in some of the biggest newspaper companies and also owns the conservative party's debt.

Neues Deutschland used to belong to the SED-PDS-Linke until 10 years ago, now it‘s a little bit more convoluted. SPD owns a buttload of newspapers through ddvg.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Einbauschrank posted:

Neues Deutschland used to belong to the SED-PDS-Linke until 10 years ago, now it‘s a little bit more convoluted. SPD owns a buttload of newspapers through ddvg.

Ah, thanks.

""Deutsche Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft – Wikipedia" posted:

Die Deutsche Druck- und Verlagsgesellschaft mbH (ddvg) mit Sitz in Berlin und Zweigniederlassung in Hamburg ist eine Medienbeteiligungsgesellschaft der SPD. Sie ist die Beteiligungsgesellschaft des SPD-Unternehmensbesitzes und zu 100 % im Eigentum der SPD. Die DDVG kommt als Verlagsgruppe mit den ihr zuzurechnenden Tageszeitungen auf eine anteilige Gesamtauflage von rund 435.000 Exemplaren und einen Marktanteil am bundesdeutschen Tageszeitungsmarkt in Höhe von 1,9 %. Sie nimmt damit Rang 11 der führenden Verlagsgruppen im deutschen Zeitungsmarkt nach Gesamtauflagen ein.

Doesn't seem like a number three political problem to me though:shrug:

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Sereri posted:

Linke is fine for internal matters but utopic for everything regarding foreign policy.
No wars ever is a nice goal but no oversea development regardless of nature is dumb.
Relationship with Russia does not need to be improved as Russia is the one constantly making it worse and every inch given will be used against us. With recent laws regarding the internet in Russia it's probably going to get a lot worse as well.

I love how the supporters of the various genocidal adventures of NATO armies always have to call everything else unrealistic and radical because they know their arguments are too horrible to say out loud.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

genericnick posted:

Ah, thanks.

Doesn't seem like a number three political problem to me though:shrug:
Everybody knows the SPD is great at marketing itself, so it's natural we own our own press organs

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

cebrail posted:

I love how the supporters of the various genocidal adventures of NATO armies always have to call everything else unrealistic and radical because they know their arguments are too horrible to say out loud.

the putin-defender has logged on

Russia walling up their internet China-style and chasing down people who dare say maybe some things aren't that great on Facebook are probably a coincidence and we should definitely give Russia a little bit more rope because they surely won't use that to score some inner-political points and do nothing else.

Polemics aside, please tell me what you think the correct Russia-related policy should be and how you think they will pan out.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
NATO absolutely sucks though, and lol at Merkel doubling down and going all "actually NATO is even more important now than during the Cold War" while licking Trump's and Erdogan's boots.
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/angela-merkel-eine-starke-nato-ist-im-interesse-deutschlands-a-1298447.html

quote:

Bundeskanzlerin Angela Merkel sieht Deutschland in der Pflicht, mehr Verantwortung für die Nato zu übernehmen. "Stärker als im Kalten Krieg ist der Erhalt der Nato heute in unserem ureigensten Interesse oder mindestens so stark wie im Kalten Krieg", sagte sie. Europa könne sich derzeit nicht allein verteidigen, sondern sei auf das transatlantische Bündnis angewiesen.

Deutschland müsse sich für die Einheit der Nato einsetzen. Die Türkei sei zwar ein schwieriger Partner, müsse aber aus geostrategischen Gründen unbedingt in der Nato gehalten werden.

Turkey, which is so geopolitically useful that it's blocking plans for defense of Poland and the Baltics, but yeah, the defense of Europe must absolutely kept as a bargaining chip for foreign powers to blackmail us.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

I wasn't talking about Russia, I was talking about NATO. I'm not defending the pro-Russia part of die LINKE (which is a minority), I'm attacking the pro-NATO part of SPD and Grüne (which is almost the entire party in both cases).

Peggotty fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 1, 2019

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

NATO absolutely sucks though, and lol at Merkel doubling down and going all "actually NATO is even more important now than during the Cold War" while licking Trump's and Erdogan's boots.
https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/angela-merkel-eine-starke-nato-ist-im-interesse-deutschlands-a-1298447.html

Turkey, which is so geopolitically useful that it's blocking plans for defense of Poland and the Baltics, but yeah, the defense of Europe must absolutely kept as a bargaining chip for foreign powers to blackmail us.

I don't envy Merkel on that one. The current defense spending increase has hit massive resistance from both the center and left(and some parts of the right thanks to Russia Today& Co.) Even with current spending increases we are expected to reach 2% only by the 2030s or something and I doubt the spending increases are going to survive the next election.

So, EU integration has fizzled out and Bundeswehr is a joke. Not a lot of alternative for Europe but to rely on ol' wormy brains to guarantee the EU's security.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Did somebody cut a hole in GIP or where are these "NATO good/Russia bad" morons coming from?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've not been proven wrong! I've not been proven wrong! I continue to insist as the occupation of Ukraine enters its 6th year and I slowly transform into a wall rug

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GABA ghoul posted:

Not a lot of alternative for Europe but to rely on ol' wormy brains to guarantee the EU's security.

The point is that relying on NATO is precisely the thing that endangers the EU's security the most.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

The point is that relying on NATO is precisely the thing that endangers the EU's security the most.

Please pitch me an alternative concept to guarantee the EU's security and I'll forward it to Merkel.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Randler posted:

Did somebody cut a hole in GIP or where are these "NATO good/Russia bad" morons coming from?

So that's what GiP is full of?

Huh.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

The entire political system can be fixed immediately by not allowing olds to vote.
SPD and CDU are dead immediately since their only political idea is Renter-handouts and loving over future generations.
Problem solved.
Thanks for the Nobel price.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Great article:

https://theintercept.com/2019/11/14/peter-handke-nobel-prize-bosnian-genocide-conspiracy/

I’m a habilitierter Germanist and will nevertheless continue to not read any Handke

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

caps on caps on caps posted:

The entire political system can be fixed immediately by not allowing olds to vote.
SPD and CDU are dead immediately since their only political idea is Renter-handouts and loving over future generations.
Problem solved.
Thanks for the Nobel price.

:what:

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

what has happened to the youth of this place??

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

We'd have a pretty serviceable nuclear deterrent if we just stapled this take to the top of a Rakete

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GABA ghoul posted:

Please pitch me an alternative concept to guarantee the EU's security and I'll forward it to Merkel.

Pretty sure she's heard pitches already, but ignores them as she's trying to curry favor from Trump so as to keep selling cars in the USA.

Merkel in 2017: Europe must take its fate in its own hands
Merkel in 2019: Europe must hand over control of its fate to Washington forever and ever.

aphid_licker posted:

We'd have a pretty serviceable nuclear deterrent if we just stapled this take to the top of a Rakete

Entrusting your safety to foreign mercenaries has never been a bad idea!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Mr. Lobe posted:

what has happened to the youth of this place??

Every young person with two brain cells to rub together is leaving the east so whoever remains is probably a nazi or a loser or a nazi loser.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

suck my woke dick posted:

Every young person with two brain cells to rub together is leaving the east so whoever remains is probably a nazi or a loser or a nazi loser.

I never considered the political implications of brain drain before.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Strangely enough the youth vote in this only adds up to 84% so I'm always wondering where's the rest? Partei? NPD? Are nonvoters counted? For the olds it's 98% combined votes for the major parties depicted.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just got to listen in on some internal SPD communications after the Mitgliederentscheid. Apparently a tenor is that base democracy is actually kind of garbage for party matters, and honestly weren't things better when the SPD was still properly hierarchical? :allears:

Poor Scholzies

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Nothing stops the delegates from not voting for Borjans-Eskel at the actual election.

Also, lol at the sub 60% participation rate.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Die taz will im internationalen Heißnehm-Wettbewerb offensichtlich nicht zurückstecken :discourse:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Congrats, you've found the taz' most unhinged writer.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Das ist für ihre Verhältnisse geradezu vernünftig.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah that’s really tame for Yaghoobifarah.

(Also I thought Black Friday was bullshit because you get subpar ware for negligible discounts)

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Post-woke discourse like that is a dime a dozen on Twitter. Glad to see it's jumping the pond. Past hits include "Hating Amazon is ableist" and "McDonald's is good, actually, because often it's the only food available to poor people". We're currently on at least the second wave of "texting friends without getting their consent first is extraction of unpaid emotional labor". Say what you will about tumblr, but at least that site consistently broke people's brains in funny ways

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
You need a better social bubble.

Amazon does indeed need to be hated. However making GBS threads on people for using it in fact in some cases ableist, but more importantly roughly identical to yelling people for eating a steak because climate change is real. It's extremely dumb because it ignores how neglible the effects of individual choice are on a problem that needs systemic change.

And that's the complaints i've seen in my bubble.

(Also there's something ugly bad faith about describing something that can be anywhere between "lost my keys" and "dropping a 500 word vent on child rape" as "texting".)

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Why would anybody use Black Friday as an example of suburban performative wokeness when Bioläden exist and are way more relatable as an example?

And yes, McDonald's is bad but the correlation of unhealthy diets and low socioeconomic status is real. And I'm allowed to say that as a fat dude.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Schlafmangel ist, wenn man die Frühstücksflocken statt in die bereitgestellte (leere) Schale in die (schon gefüllte) Kaffeetasse kippt. Masterclass: Wenn man beim Einbetten des Babys zwar alle 92,75 Druckknöpfe des Pyjamas korrekt zu schließen vermag, dann aber um zwei Uhr morgens angesichts untrüglicher Evidenz begreifen muss, dass man die Montage der Windeln vergessen hat...

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Alles nur, weil ich unbedingt noch mehr Succession gucken wollte 😭

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Wengy posted:

Alles nur, weil ich unbedingt noch mehr Succession gucken wollte 😭
well it does seem you got owned by a successor instead

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Yeah, and with the same weapon Logan deploys against Kendall in one of the early episodes!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
kaffee aus müdigkeit in das schon fertige schokomüsli ist übrigens nicht soooo schlecht