Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Two guys on back like, 'don't worry, anything goes wrong we got this."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hey guys, we heard you raised that bridge so this should be OK now, right?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There was talk of proper tire maintenance pages ago.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/dec/1/russia-bus-crash-19-dead-siberia-river-plunge/

quote:

Initial investigation indicates that a front wheel on the bus failed as it was crossing a bridge

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKBN1Y50V8

quote:

Russia's record on road safety is one of the worst in the world. According to the country's traffic police, 18,214 people died in road accidents last year. That is more than the 15,000 Soviet servicemen who were killed during the whole of the Soviet war in Afghanistan in 1979-1989.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

GotLag posted:

Two questions about this:

2. How was this even supposed to work? The boom must have been going to strike the crane on the right no matter how slowly they lowered it.

The crane doing the lowering would have swung and boomed down as it lowered the boom with the winch the crane with the boom being lowered would have had the swing brake off and it would have followed the other crane.

Kibayasu posted:

Assuming this is reading the report correctly what possible use would there be to let a crane lift go into freefall.
Clam shelling or demolition.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

"Looks like them Duke boys are at it again"

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Smiling Mandrill posted:

I think the thunder river rapid ride accident is where the phrase "injuries incompatible with life" came from.

I'm sure it's been around longer.

Incident responders shouldn't be calling people "dead", because that means they absolutely don't need treatment, and if they are wrong and it turns out the victim was saveable then they'd have killed someone with negligence.

But sometimes a person is very obviously dead. That's why such a term exists.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also I don't think responders have the legal authority to pronounce death, so

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

monolithburger posted:

So you don't get stuck in the loop

I've seen the Action Park looping water slide from the side before, but had no idea the exit landing was a non-level tarp. That's next level OSHA.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Captain Foo posted:

IIRC it's this. They can't pronounce on them, but you also don't want a EMT or fireman or whatever putting themselves at risk of being injured if it's very clear to all bystanders that there is no head attached to the torso.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

OSHA leggings?

https://grizzshopping.com/products/taken-by-my-heavy-equipment-operator-low-rise-leggings-invisible-stitch

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

I've heard cops refer to this as "DRT" (as opposed to "DOA")

Dead Right There

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

death stranding looking even higher rez

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Cyrano4747 posted:

IIRC it's this. They can't pronounce on them, but you also don't want a EMT or fireman or whatever putting themselves at risk of being injured if it's very clear to all bystanders that there is no head attached to the torso.

Well trying to save someone at your own peril is foolhardy anyway. The first thing they teach you in pretty much any level of responding is to survey the scene. If it isn't safe for you, don't go and add yourself to the count of people needing to be saved.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Cyrano4747 posted:

The local list here is:

INDICATIONS
EMS providers may pronounce the death of a patient when one or more of the following criteria has been met.
a) Decapitation
b) Rigor mortis
c) Decomposition
d) Dependent lividity
e) Pulseless, apneic patient in a multi-casualty incident where system resources are required for the stabilization of living patients
f) Pulseless, apneic patient with an injury not compatible with life (with the exception of an obviously pregnant female where resuscitation attempts should be initiated and the patient transported to the nearest appropriate facility)
g) The EMS provider has terminated resuscitation per the Termination of Resuscitation Protocol.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah, and unless it’s so impossibly beyond life that there’s no other option, they get to phone the ER doc and describe in gruesome detail what they’re looking at so the doc can pronounce them from afar. It’s pretty awesome for all parties involved (my wife is an ER doc and gets to deal with this poo poo exactly, and it’s hard on her, and she knows it’s worse for the EMT)

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

"Injuries incompatible with life" is just a nice professional sounding euphemism that gets used as a catchall because there's so many gruesome ways people can die, and because you don't want to go around using phrases like "wrapped around the power takeoff shaft" or "twisted up like a wrung-out washcloth" over the radio.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

chrisgt posted:

Well trying to save someone at your own peril is foolhardy anyway. The first thing they teach you in pretty much any level of responding is to survey the scene. If it isn't safe for you, don't go and add yourself to the count of people needing to be saved.

Yeah seriously never jump in. Friends dad was power washing his pool and knocked the washer in the pool with him electrocuting him and killing him instantly. His oldest son was in the driveway and thought he had a heart attack so he jumped in after him and died instantly also. loving tragic..........until like a year ago I found out the rest of his family are total CHUDS and now honestly it’s probably for the best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Harton posted:

Yeah seriously never jump in. Friends dad was power washing his pool and knocked the washer in the pool with him electrocuting him and killing him instantly. His oldest son was in the driveway and thought he had a heart attack so he jumped in after him and died instantly also. loving tragic..........until like a year ago I found out the rest of his family are total CHUDS and now honestly it’s probably for the best.

So much for the tolerant left.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

razak posted:

d) Dependent lividity

I choose to believe this means the children of the deceased are hopping mad about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Powered Descent posted:

I choose to believe this means the children of the deceased are hopping mad about it.

I was also thinking this. Like they are standing there shouting "DECLARE HER DEAD LIKE THE TV SHOWS, DO IT!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, and unless it’s so impossibly beyond life that there’s no other option, they get to phone the ER doc and describe in gruesome detail what they’re looking at so the doc can pronounce them from afar. It’s pretty awesome for all parties involved (my wife is an ER doc and gets to deal with this poo poo exactly, and it’s hard on her, and she knows it’s worse for the EMT)

The first call I ever made like this was about a month or so after I got my EMT license, and it went something like this:

Me: "We've got a mid-forties male patient, zero pulse, zero BP, zero respirations. Pedestrian versus pickup truck at about 75mph, and, um. He's all twisted up like a washcloth? His rear end and his face are pointing the same direction? I think he's dead?"
Doc: "Yeah, that sounds pretty dead to me. 1950." *click*

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

razak posted:

EMS providers may pronounce the death of a patient when one or more of the following criteria has been met.
a) Decapitation

I know why they have to include it, but I always find it somewhat amusing that they have to make it clear that you can call someone dead if their head is in a different ZIPcode than their body.

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, once I went on this insane dual slide that was two tubes intertwined around each other in the double helix formation. By the time you got about halfway down, the water was so churned up and crazy that you were basically underwater. Most people hit the bottom gasping for breath, as they hadn't thought holding their breath was a requirement when going on a slide. I watched it after for a bit as well, and not a single person went for another trip down, one was enough for everyone.

This sort of thing:

Oh god I'd almost wiped this from my memory, Exactly what your described happened to me - No signs or attendant on it either. It put me off dark waterslides forever

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

razak posted:

a) Decapitation
b) Rigor mortis
c) Decomposition
d) Dependent lividity
e) Pulseless, apneic patient in a multi-casualty incident where system resources are required for the stabilization of living patients
f) Pulseless, apneic patient with an injury not compatible with life (with the exception of an obviously pregnant female where resuscitation attempts should be initiated and the patient transported to the nearest appropriate facility)
g) The EMS provider has terminated resuscitation per the Termination of Resuscitation Protocol.

Death metal song titles getting much more descriptive.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The perspective really hosed me up on this one at first.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

chitoryu12 posted:

The perspective really hosed me up on this one at first.

It legit looks like it's swiveling forward though

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
My mother was a paramedic and she would tell me she was going to work to play in the blood, guts, teeth, hair, and eyeballs.

Never told me any good stories though.

Can confirm "Dead Right there" is a thing.

Edit: I did overhear her once telling someone on the phone she had to hose brain matter out of the ambulance (The "unit")

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shut up Meg posted:

I know why they have to include it, but I always find it somewhat amusing that they have to make it clear that you can call someone dead if their head is in a different ZIPcode than their body.

I mean chickens can live for months without heads and I’ve met people that don’t seem to be using more brainpower than a chicken.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Fortunately this was in the mirror dimension, we transport things much more safely here.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Guyver posted:

The crane doing the lowering would have swung and boomed down as it lowered the boom with the winch the crane with the boom being lowered would have had the swing brake off and it would have followed the other crane.

Sorry, this has the same energy as the Ov In The Cold Food tweet.

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

more on EMT/Accidental Death chat:

People who are legally allowed to pronounce death, at least in my state (don't know if it varies state-by-state, a lot of these type of regulations do), are limited to Physicians (MD and DO) and Hospice RNs only. EMTs here aren't allowed to do so, so they have what they call Paramedic Base Doctors that they call to pronounce for them. Doctors tend to rotate positions all over the place (teaching hospitals, hospices, private practice, etc) and so PBDs are basically just there to be available to EMTs in the event they're needed to go "yep, call it".

Only a physician is allowed to sign off on a Death Certificate, though, and finding THAT guy can be like pulling teeth for us poor schmucks that work in funeral homes. There's a guy that works in my office and tracking doctors down wherever the hell they might be that day of the week to fax them the paperwork so they can sign it and get it back to State Vital Records so we can get the family their Death Certificates sometime before the heat death of the universe is his actual full-time job. We're a larger funeral home too, so we're usually juggling 25 services at a time, or thereabouts. Smaller mom-and-pop funeral homes usually have all that stuff handled directly by the funeral directors themselves.

anyway that's all to say that we don't really get many OSHA deaths, most of the accidents we handle are like, car accidents or one dude that crashed his snowmobile into a tree, that was pretty gnarly. Worst one was by far the 20-something dude who got mixed up in some kinda gang poo poo they found after a few months in Lake Michigan. His mom had to ID him by photos of what was left of his tattoos. Rough stuff.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Here, paramedics just fill out "recognition of death" forms.
Once we cease resuscitation or decide to not attempt resuscitation due to injuries incompatible with life (a phrase that will rarely be said), then we just fill out the recognition of death form.

This isn't pronouncing death. We leave the form with the cops, say cya lol and whenever a doctor decides to show up they look at the recognition of death form and confirm/pronounce the death.

95% of time this is for old people who die their bed.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

This is supposedly the largest operating counterblow hammer in the world, and it's only a few miles from me. A buddy works at this place and they do defense work so zero chance of getting to see it in person.

That hammer was used to make Atlas rocket pressure vessels for ICBMs in the early 1950s. Here's a video that starts ~7:30, but I recommend watching the whole thing for siiiiick vacuum arc remelting footage earlier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvADC43EHmE&t=439s

In later decades, the hammer allow the single-piece forging of 3rd/4th-gen fighter jet center wing boxes.

Lake of Methane fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 2, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/8a0e2PP.gifv

Security camera at a home about half a mile from the TPC Chemical explosion. Literally turns night into day.

quote:

TPC Chemical had a major explosion at 12:56 AM. This security camera footage captured the explosion and the after-effects at a residence that is approximately 1/2 mile from the TPC facility. All of the front and back doors along with the garage doors were blown out. There were also several windows blown out as well. The dog in the video could not be reached for comment

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8a0e2PP.gifv

Security camera at a home about half a mile from the TPC Chemical explosion. Literally turns night into day.

lmao the dog that wanders out "Yikes, gently caress this noise" and just turns around.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I definitely wondering how often the house next door gets to use their fireplace

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

razak posted:

The local list here is:

INDICATIONS
a) Decapitation
b) Rigor mortis
c) Decomposition
d) Dependent lividity

"one or more"

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I’m the banana plant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Khizan posted:

The first call I ever made like this was about a month or so after I got my EMT license, and it went something like this:

Me: "We've got a mid-forties male patient, zero pulse, zero BP, zero respirations. Pedestrian versus pickup truck at about 75mph, and, um. He's all twisted up like a washcloth? His rear end and his face are pointing the same direction? I think he's dead?"
Doc: "Yeah, that sounds pretty dead to me. 1950." *click*

That sounds like a best case scenario. The most recent one I (didn't) hear about was pretty rough to the point that the EMT called back again later after everything had spun down in order to "debrief" even though that isn't really a thing, I guess it was some young kid and maybe her dad, obviously I have no specifics to provide but it was a traumatic mess and shitted up everyone's week real good and thorough.