Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Lots of Star Citizen gameplay descriptions are exactly like that. A true believer writes a novel full of purple prose describing incredibly basic gameplay loops like "I picked up a box" and "I browsed a storefront." Stuff that exists in dozens of other games, and they describe it like an immersive VR experience while omitting the fact that they spent most of their game doing nothing.

Imagine if some described buying a gun in any other game like this;

"I duck into the local gun store, it's hot today, the ceiling fan is on full blast. I peruse the gunkeeps stock, picking up a .45 and inspecting every inch of the weapon. It's a fine machine, with upgradable stopping power, extended magazine, tactical light; the options are endless. I have just enough cash to buy it the base weapon, having lost some reserves after a previous job went south.

The shop owner gives me all the specs and complements my purchase while I weigh my options between a decked out 9mm or the base .45 and heaps of ammo. I choose the punch of the larger caliber, anticipating some fights with heavies in the future. With the stopping power of a .45 in my pocket, I step out into the muggy urban sprawl and prepare for my next hit..."

Like 2 paragraphs to describe looking at a guns stats, pressing A, being asked "Are you sure you want to buy GUN" and pressing A again. They all do this.

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

what the gently caress, i didnt realize that the Kraken Privateer was a newly-released 'conversion' that costs $1500+. W T F

so let me get this straight, in order to further the Krakens capabilities as a place of commerce, they uh...

remove the cargo bay.

where do people keep the stuff they are selling?

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

where do people keep the stuff they are selling?

Cargo is just represented by text files basically. You specify how much the ship can hold and how much space each item takes up. Pretty simple stuff.

Now, the rape dungeon on the other hand,

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

So, I've made an effort to log in every now and then during the convention because to be honest I haven't been inside a lot of the newer, bigger ships, and it's an easy way to check them out. It took me way too long today due to several stupid deaths (I jumped until I gave myself a heart attack apparently) and crashes, but I did finally manage to check out the Origin thing.

I feel so loving bad for everyone who spent money on their superyacht lol. It's a $900 monument to the fact that Chris Roberts doesn't understand luxury. Fully half of the ship is taken up by loving saunas and redundant pools and poo poo, and the other half is covered in random seating that makes it look like an airline loyalty lounge. It's so absolutely mind-bendingly stupid in there.

Also, the work they did updating the 300 series is unreal lol. I legitimately had a moment where I was like "Wow I wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine" because it's such an insane upgrade over the pile of poo poo they used to be. It's maybe the only ship that isn't an active pain in the rear end to be in, move around, and fly. It should be the standard starting ship and it's borderline cruel of them to not go back and redo things like the Mustang (again) Aurora (for the first time?) and Avenger (again) to make them as functional as the 300i. And yes that's including all the nonfunctional bullshit like the $10 minifridge or coffeemaker or whatever.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
Is the game out yet?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

So, I've made an effort to log in every now and then during the convention because to be honest I haven't been inside a lot of the newer, bigger ships, and it's an easy way to check them out. It took me way too long today due to several stupid deaths (I jumped until I gave myself a heart attack apparently) and crashes, but I did finally manage to check out the Origin thing.

I feel so loving bad for everyone who spent money on their superyacht lol. It's a $900 monument to the fact that Chris Roberts doesn't understand luxury. Fully half of the ship is taken up by loving saunas and redundant pools and poo poo, and the other half is covered in random seating that makes it look like an airline loyalty lounge. It's so absolutely mind-bendingly stupid in there.

Also, the work they did updating the 300 series is unreal lol. I legitimately had a moment where I was like "Wow I wish I hadn't gotten rid of mine" because it's such an insane upgrade over the pile of poo poo they used to be. It's maybe the only ship that isn't an active pain in the rear end to be in, move around, and fly. It should be the standard starting ship and it's borderline cruel of them to not go back and redo things like the Mustang (again) Aurora (for the first time?) and Avenger (again) to make them as functional as the 300i. And yes that's including all the nonfunctional bullshit like the $10 minifridge or coffeemaker or whatever.

But a youtube architect reviewed the ship and said everything on it was classy as gently caress. Are you an architect?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

>> I quantum travel to hurston which takes 10 minutes of real time. Got up, made some IRL coffee, came back and modified my equipment taking a lightly armored loadout with silenced rifle for maneuverability.

Now we're entering fantasy territory. Flying from Grim Hex area to Hurston takes 30-40 minutes of real time if you have a small ship. "Lightly armored loadout with silenced rifle" is complete bullshit, Lorville is literally a non-combat zone. You cannot even point your gun, let alone shoot it.

No, the worst ships do Olisar to ArcCorp in 16 minutes. 10 seems reasonable, especially if it was a larger ship. Still a stupid amount of time, of course. Travel times should be cut in half.

Sarsapariller posted:

>>I stop at the local armory to see if they have any good equipment. Not much, but they do offer a hand held mining tool that I snag.

By "local armory" he means "Gun store." There are 4-5 stores at every station and landing facility. These are the only locations at the stations and landing facilities. Their inventory never changes.

The inventory changes per location. Stock won't ever change or rotate out, but different places sell different things.

Sarsapariller posted:

>>Take public transit back to the space station, launch my ship and take a mission to find a wreck and recover the black box mcguffin. Head out of atmosphere and travel 800km to the wreck. In approach I scan the area - clean. Park my ship and begin my space walk to find the box. Another player approaches and destroys my ship. I duck into a larger section of wreckage. Player searches for me (they don't know if I died in my ship or not). Then they exit their ship where I Eva around and place a bullet in their head.

This is plausible, though it doesn't really emphasize that the box-finding mission probably took 20-30 minutes to fly that 800km unless he got really lucky with waypoints. It's certainly possible that a griefer blew his ship up and then was stupid enough to get out and fly around. More likely what happened is that another player got the exact same "Find box in space wreck" mission and just shot him assuming he was an enemy, then got out to find the box. This happens all the time because the in-game mission system only has like, half a dozen locations to spawn missions in so poo poo gets doubled up constantly.

Each planet has a bunch of OM waypoints that get you around it pretty easily. You shouldn't have to slow boat that 800km. Plus many times those search missions act as a QT waypoint themselves, so you can just QT there.

Now, the second half is very true. A single wreck is going to spawn three missions: find the box, find a dude, and find all the dudes. When I was messing around with patch 3.7, I would routinely take all 3 missions if I saw them and make a bunch of money off a single trip. Rookie move to not take all of the missions.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nothing I like to do more on a Wednesday night after work is watch a ship travel through space and sit there, great use of my time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elderbean posted:

Lots of Star Citizen gameplay descriptions are exactly like that. A true believer writes a novel full of purple prose describing incredibly basic gameplay loops like "I picked up a box" and "I browsed a storefront."

Where we're going, we won't need gameplay.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Butcher posted:

Cargo is just represented by text files basically. You specify how much the ship can hold and how much space each item takes up. Pretty simple stuff.

Now, the rape dungeon on the other hand,

I see you are FUDster who hasn't played Star Citizen.

In Star Citizen, every unit of cargo is represented by an actual box in an actual cargo hold. This is real and I'm not making it up. If you buy 100 SCU worth of space poop, you will get 100 boxes physically appearing in your spaceship and adding actual weight to the handling of it. You cannot interact with the boxes except to sell them at other stations. The boxes have one of about 6 different skins based on whatever it is that you purchased.

Unfortunately this means that ships have to have giant gaping empty spaces for cargo, and that their cargo limits are hard capped based on those spaces. You can fit 96 boxes in a Constellation- if you want more, you're going to have to pay your artists to build a longer or wider version of the ship. Oops, hope you balanced everything exactly right! Oh, you didn't and now things are seven shades of hosed up with a bunch of small ships that can't even carry a single SCU? Time for the seventh refactor!

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.
I wonder what Chris has told The Calders about Squadron 42.

A lot of the backers seem to expect we’ll get a Squadron 42 update in a year end holiday livestream. Do we even know that we’re getting a holiday livestream this year?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Nalin posted:

No, the worst ships do Olisar to ArcCorp in 16 minutes. 10 seems reasonable, especially if it was a larger ship. Still a stupid amount of time, of course. Travel times should be cut in half.

You are not factoring in that the player will be stopped 2-3 times per QT jump by pirates, "Security" scans, drive overheating, and random asteroids. It is extremely difficult to make long jumps without getting stopped even once. This also means you have to stay glued to the goddamn computer because otherwise a pirate might kill you before the glitches do.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

You can fit 96 boxes in a Constellation- if you want more, you're going to have to pay your artists to build a longer or wider version of the ship. Oops, hope you balanced everything exactly right! Oh, you didn't and now things are seven shades of hosed up with a bunch of small ships that can't even carry a single SCU? Time for the seventh refactor!

Mostly right, but the standard Hornet can carry 2 SCU and I don't think there is any physical box for that. I would bet that each ship was custom coded to show their boxes. It would make sense based on all the weird things I've seen in the game, like how some ships let you see your actual ship components, some ships have working item storage while some don't, and why ships like the Constellation magically don't have a working missile lock system. I would bet that every time they make some sort of change to mechanics, they have to manually apply that change to each ship. And, if, they forget one ship, well, magically it is the only ship in the game that can't fire missiles anymore.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

You are not factoring in that the player will be stopped 2-3 times per QT jump by pirates, "Security" scans, drive overheating, and random asteroids. It is extremely difficult to make long jumps without getting stopped even once. This also means you have to stay glued to the goddamn computer because otherwise a pirate might kill you before the glitches do.

They massively toned down encounters after players bitched nonstop about them. It was a very uncommon event for me when I played, to the point where I was actually trying to get stopped by the police for an hour and I couldn't get an encounter. And, if it was something like a pirate attack, you can literally just fly forward for a bit and you'll be out of the interdiction zone and you can just QT again.

Plus, players found out that if your ship isn't a single seater and has an interior, you can just get out of your seat and you won't proc any random encounters ever. They only happen if you are sitting in your pilot chair.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

Nalin posted:

They only happen if you are sitting in your pilot chair.

And you people said the space toilet was giant waste of money.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

The Butcher posted:

And you people said the space toilet was giant waste of money.

You can't use the space toilet without having drank a ton of space coffee, and you need the space coffee maker to do that. Better make sure that you stock up on space-filters and space-grounds otherwise you'll go into caffeine withdrawal and somehow phase through your ship's hull after twitching minutely for 10 minutes.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

G0RF posted:

A lot of the backers seem to expect we’ll get a Squadron 42 update in a year end holiday livestream. Do we even know that we’re getting a holiday livestream this year?

Squadron 42 is possibly the funniest, inherently most ridiculous non-twist to this entire scam. I can't even begin to imagine how bad Chris Roberts is capable of making something with today's technology. He was one of the world's worst before he stole hundreds of millions of dollars; now his hubris is well-nourished and fuels his unparalleled ineptitude. The very few glimpses we've seen so far are so very, very promising. If this farce collapses before SQ42 is shat into the mouths of the unwilling, I must get my hands on the cutscenes.

The post-2020 internet will be nothing but SQ42 memes and man-children building Lego replicas of Star Citizen "ships" that they'll lament for the rest of their lives "almost came out."

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Nalin posted:

Mostly right, but the standard Hornet can carry 2 SCU and I don't think there is any physical box for that. I would bet that each ship was custom coded to show their boxes. It would make sense based on all the weird things I've seen in the game, like how some ships let you see your actual ship components, some ships have working item storage while some don't, and why ships like the Constellation magically don't have a working missile lock system. I would bet that every time they make some sort of change to mechanics, they have to manually apply that change to each ship. And, if, they forget one ship, well, magically it is the only ship in the game that can't fire missiles anymore.

Every ship has something representing physicalized cargo, as far as I am aware. The Mustang and Aurora both have cargo "boxes" rather than a hold and I believe the hornet has one as well. I know it used to have space for cargo under the turret, but a quick google says those 2 SCU are stored in a box somewhere on or in the ship. I don't have a hornet so I can't go looking.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Beet Wagon posted:

Every ship has something representing physicalized cargo, as far as I am aware. The Mustang and Aurora both have cargo "boxes" rather than a hold and I believe the hornet has one as well. I know it used to have space for cargo under the turret, but a quick google says those 2 SCU are stored in a box somewhere on or in the ship. I don't have a hornet so I can't go looking.

Well, I know the cargo slot is an actual hardpoint on the Hornet and can be swapped out for a turret, but you are saying that they actually spawn a box inside an unreachable space inside that hardpoint? Because you can't open that up at all. I guess it would be completely like CIG to do that.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

I see you are FUDster who hasn't played Star Citizen.

In Star Citizen, every unit of cargo is represented by an actual box in an actual cargo hold. This is real and I'm not making it up. If you buy 100 SCU worth of space poop, you will get 100 boxes physically appearing in your spaceship and adding actual weight to the handling of it. You cannot interact with the boxes except to sell them at other stations. The boxes have one of about 6 different skins based on whatever it is that you purchased.

Unfortunately this means that ships have to have giant gaping empty spaces for cargo, and that their cargo limits are hard capped based on those spaces. You can fit 96 boxes in a Constellation- if you want more, you're going to have to pay your artists to build a longer or wider version of the ship. Oops, hope you balanced everything exactly right! Oh, you didn't and now things are seven shades of hosed up with a bunch of small ships that can't even carry a single SCU? Time for the seventh refactor!

What do you mean boxes appearing in your cargo hold? You mean they simply appear as if by magic?! That doesn't sounds very fidelitious! Whatever happened to having to manually load cargo or wait for the dock workers to load all your cargo? This isn't the game i didn't back!

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Nalin posted:

Plus, players found out that if your ship isn't a single seater and has an interior, you can just get out of your seat and you won't proc any random encounters ever. They only happen if you are sitting in your pilot chair.

Either that is unintended or they understood that it would be pretty bad for Rex's ship to be blown up by pirates when everyone is stood around saluting while listening to Rex shout at them in the cargo bay.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

G0RF posted:

Rumor is that they setup a wind turbine generator in preparation for Chris' hand waving on that day. Managed to cut the electricity bill in half.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

What do you mean boxes appearing in your cargo hold? You mean they simply appear as if by magic?! That doesn't sounds very fidelitious! Whatever happened to having to manually load cargo or wait for the dock workers to load all your cargo? This isn't the game i didn't back!

Don't worry, this is merely cargo v3. Once cargo v4 is done they'll finally have what is required for cargo v5, just in time for cargo v6.

But, and this is real, Chris is aware of the non-fidelitiousness and has promised that soon you'll have to wait minutes for the cargo to magically appear and that, someday, there will be npcs loading all that cargo, by hand, in the year 2950.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I bet the Calders get some percentage of the donations and don't care as long as it keeps rolling in.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Are there any good youtube videos out there lampooning the awful gameplay? I just found out you can actually play this pyramid scheme and I want to see how bad it is.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

Squadron 42 is possibly the funniest, inherently most ridiculous non-twist to this entire scam. I can't even begin to imagine how bad Chris Roberts is capable of making something with today's technology. He was one of the world's worst before he stole hundreds of millions of dollars; now his hubris is well-nourished and fuels his unparalleled ineptitude. The very few glimpses we've seen so far are so very, very promising. If this farce collapses before SQ42 is shat into the mouths of the unwilling, I must get my hands on the cutscenes.

The post-2020 internet will be nothing but SQ42 memes and man-children building Lego replicas of Star Citizen "ships" that they'll lament for the rest of their lives "almost came out."

If the cutscenes don’t see the light of day, it’ll be a dangblasted video game tragedy.

trucutru posted:

Rumor is that they setup a wind turbine generator in preparation for Chris' hand waving on that day. Managed to cut the electricity bill in half.

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sankis posted:

I bet the Calders get some percentage of the donations and don't care as long as it keeps rolling in.

Depends on how long they think the scam will continue. Even if they took every single cent the tracker claims CIG were bringing in they'd be looking at a year and a half just to break even, but CIG need all of that that to keep the dream furnaces burning.

So if you cut that to say even 10% of the tracker you're suddenly looking at 15 years to recoup. No way they're that patient. They have to have been promised something big and much sooner than 15 years down the line.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sarsapariller posted:

Let me break it down.

>>This morning I awoke in the bed of my space ship.

This barely ever works and has been consistently broken for the last 3 years. Recently they "improved" it and by "improved" I mean it now works maybe 50% of the time.

>>Last night I had done some bounty hunting in an asterioid field, and decided to park on the dark side of an asterioid rather than the free for all at the low security Outpost nearby (grim hex).

He took a procgen mission in an asteroid field, and then logged out.

>>I wanted to head to another planet (Hurston) that offers on foot fps missions at various bunkers.

This is largely bullshit in that you can be offered these missions, but the missions you get are random and I haven't seen an on-foot mission in the last four or five hours that I've played.

>>Grabbed a delivery mission from a nearby Outpost to take a shipment to Lorville, capital city of hurston.

Also bullshit. He's acting like various places give you specific missions- in reality, you open up your wrist menu and a random list of procgen missions will be presented. He certainly could have had one that said "Carry a box from here to there" but he 100% did not fly somewhere and then get the mission. This is part of what makes the game so frustrating- you can almost never actually get a mission for the place you are standing at, at any given moment.

Also, Lorville is the only city on Hurston.

>> I quantum travel to hurston which takes 10 minutes of real time. Got up, made some IRL coffee, came back and modified my equipment taking a lightly armored loadout with silenced rifle for maneuverability.

Now we're entering fantasy territory. Flying from Grim Hex area to Hurston takes 30-40 minutes of real time if you have a small ship. "Lightly armored loadout with silenced rifle" is complete bullshit, Lorville is literally a non-combat zone. You cannot even point your gun, let alone shoot it.

>>Out of quantum travel I approach Lorville and hail the Tessa Space Station for a landing pad. Ones assigned, I land and use the public transit system to deliver my package to the local administration office.

Hey here's a line that actually describes gameplay in Star Citizen- he landed at a space port, took an elevator to the hub, took a bus to the main area, walked to the office, and dropped off the box. That's it- that is the gameplay of Star Citizen.

>>I stop at the local armory to see if they have any good equipment. Not much, but they do offer a hand held mining tool that I snag.

By "local armory" he means "Gun store." There are 4-5 stores at every station and landing facility. These are the only locations at the stations and landing facilities. Their inventory never changes.

>>Take public transit back to the space station, launch my ship and take a mission to find a wreck and recover the black box mcguffin. Head out of atmosphere and travel 800km to the wreck. In approach I scan the area - clean. Park my ship and begin my space walk to find the box. Another player approaches and destroys my ship. I duck into a larger section of wreckage. Player searches for me (they don't know if I died in my ship or not). Then they exit their ship where I Eva around and place a bullet in their head.

This is plausible, though it doesn't really emphasize that the box-finding mission probably took 20-30 minutes to fly that 800km unless he got really lucky with waypoints. It's certainly possible that a griefer blew his ship up and then was stupid enough to get out and fly around. More likely what happened is that another player got the exact same "Find box in space wreck" mission and just shot him assuming he was an enemy, then got out to find the box. This happens all the time because the in-game mission system only has like, half a dozen locations to spawn missions in so poo poo gets doubled up constantly.

>>Find the black box and load it in other players ship to deliver back in Lorville.

Nope, bullshit. Ships are locked to their players unless specifically unlocked.

>>I place an insurance claim (takes 5 minutes to respawn my ship) at Lorville so it will be ready for next session.

He neglected "I fly down, negotiate a landing, take the elevator up, take the bus, then use the terminal to place the insurance claim for a total round-trip time of 45 minutes."

>>Star citizen is part Arma, part euro trucker, part "waking simulator", with a gorgeous presentation. Nothing else scratches the itch of immersing myself in a sci fi universe. The game isn't perfect and I wouldn't let Chris Roberts set my clock for fear of always being late. But SC occupies a niche that keeps sucking me back in.

Yeah sure okay

It's almost like he has not played the game and was paid to say all this .......

But CI spend all there money on development and are 100% transparent so it's impossible for this to be true.

Maybe it's just your system that's bugged ?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1. Looks like UnknownTarget had the closest estimate if we assume that the time period ends at midnight Saturday in PST.

Current: $250,006,142 - Sunday, December 1st, 03:00 EST (00:00 PST)
Average: $255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

=================================================

$242,199,498 - Aramoro
$242,779,812 - Viscous Soda
$245,150,420 - Taintrunner
$246,473,284 - Beexoffel
$246,512,768 - Spatial
$246,948,655 - TheAgent
$246,948,658 - Sandweed
$247,420,069 - Thoatse
$247,696,969 - Bubbacub
$247,861,935 - Jobbo_Fett
$248,420,069 - Dwesa
$248,424,242 - monkeytek
$248,457,941 - Kosumo
$248,902,021 - Sabreseven
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy
$251,227,605 - Zzr
$251,345,678 - Barfolemew
$251,947,069 - Koil
$252,020,240 - Mr.PayDay
$252,080,085 - AutismVaccine
$252,639,488 - DigitalPenny
$253,112,149 - downout
$253,284,764 - skeletors_condom
$253,769,823 - Dragonrah
$254,421,541 - SoMoteItBe
$254,545,454 - Bootcha
$254,603,497 - Peter.Quint
$255,000,000 - Iceclaw
$255,328,603 - jarlywarly
$255,420,069 - Sanya Juutilainen
$255,420,693 - Midnight Voyager
$255,743,119 - precision
$256,789,012 - h3isenbug
$257,024,024 - Hazamuth
$258,000,000 - Inacio
$258,522,420 - Baxta
$258,895,345 - GoingPostal
$260,000,000 - Agony Aunt
$260,000,001 - Blue On Blue
$261,135,996 - Jonny Shiloh
$261,227,605 - 1500
$262,114,501 - Differo Cathedra
$262,424,244 - commando in tophat
$262,426,969 - Dogeh
$263,100,100 - Colostomy Bag
$264,300,000 - Shazback
$264,666,666 - trucutru
$265,000,000 - Ponzi
$265,213,721 - Kikas Sign
$265,227,605 - his nibs
$266,666,666 - Orions Lord
$267,593,481 - Bofast
$267,999,999 - Zazz Razzamatazz
$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

Note: I might have missed someone or got something wrong. I am not running this, did it just for fun.

no_recall posted:

Thanks for this friend! :cheers:

I'm away to some fun at the beach for a few days, will announce the winners when I get back.

e: I think they are...
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers

Probably. Stay tuned.

You were spot on.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Skyarb posted:

Are there any good youtube videos out there lampooning the awful gameplay? I just found out you can actually play this pyramid scheme and I want to see how bad it is.

Major Tom has all your schadenfreude needs...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-3D3ojGZ2EC_Bk8MRgcFQ/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of the tracker, I have suspected for a while that it might be real for measuring cash flow, but some of it is generated by CIG themselves, effectively skewing the cash volume. Like they have a budget that thay donate to their own game so it ticks up more and that allows them to pass these important milestones, make it look like the purchases surge at cons etc. etc.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Agony Aunt posted:

Revision comments explains its removal.

4th November, someone tried to add it back onto the list.

Same day, removed with the comment "Per the many past reverts and talk page discussions. Funding raises is not development budget."

Of course, we all know that 100% of funding goes towards the development of SC, and not anything else at all. And since every dollar raised for SC is worth 5 times as much as with a traditional model, it should actually be added as the first billion plus computer game.
I thought it was a weird bending of meaning, yes.

Scruffpuff posted:

Looks like one of those guys trying to spread the Chris Roberts virus beyond its normal quarantine zone. The only edits this guy has on Wikipedia are adding Star Citizen to the most expensive list, and making sure Gary Oldman's home page includes Squadron 42.

What an empty loving life these people lead.
And that explains it: whenever facts are presented in words, Citizens will bend the meaning towards their fantasy.

It must be hard to live in a head where the word "cost" means something else with regards to Star Citizen than with regards to, say, the groceries or mortgage.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
You see, SC had to build up everything from scratch because their version of Cryengine was just an empty folder called Cryengine.

Rockstar only had to rewrite a few *.ini files to make new missions and they maybe added a texture or two to make GTA V.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

shrach posted:

Also, Cloud Imperium themselves are a source that they spent $193m up to the end of 2017. https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

Using their trends there is no way they spent less than $50m in both 2018 and 2019 which means, they have to have spent $293m+ on development so far. This is the bare minimum spent and an extremely conservative estimate given the continually increasing employee count.

Fund raising, which is different to development budget, but here it is:
The receipts so far are something like $250m via the funding tracker. $17m in subscription fees. $34m in tax incentives/loans against tax incentives. $46m outside investment. So $347m total "raised" so far.

They promise a new blog post this month, to update their "financials" with figures that include 2018. I won't hold my breath.

Very informative, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Nalin posted:

Hot take but I don't think anything in games that starts resembling "waiting for things to happen" should take more than seconds

Doing stuff on the way to do the thing you actually want to do is something I want to see less off in games, tbh but I guess I'm just one of those instant gratification zoomers