Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

But why would Veidt have impregnated a Vietnamese woman who was subjected to war crimes? There's no indication at all he was part of the Vietnam War.

That said...Save me daughter?

edit: interestingly enough, this episode was the only one Lindelof didn't help write.

The “old and scared” part of the clone’s dreams doesn’t check out if Veidt killed the mother with the rest of his refugee staff at Karnak, but if she was some kind of superscientist who Veidt rescued with the others, she for sure helped him with mad science and wasn’t just a butler like the rest. They could have hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Despera posted:

But Dr.Manhatten wasnt until 1959

Yes, that’s why I said that only made sense if time travel fuckery is going to come into play here.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Gotta say, if there's one actor that ENTIRELY looks like he walked off a comic book page, it's certainly Yahya Abdul-Mateen II.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

In all honesty you should piece it together by the time she hits the button to open the elevator, if not well before.The foreshadowing is there, it's just, as said earlier, she's with Dr. Manhattan and she's Hooded Justice's long-lost granddaughter?

As someone already pointed out: If anyone's getting it in with a superhero's secret descendant, it's Jon Osterman.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Panda laid out the whole plot of Dr Manhattan being hooded Justice two eps ago in glasses ep

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mantis42 posted:

He had Vietnamese manservants in the comic, maybe he adopted one of their daughters after killing them in the snow. Trieu doesn't look mixed.

Genetics don't care, man. I know a few mixed people (myself included) who are pretty much 100% passing.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
That shot of Ozy’s statue had a butterfly too. Cocoon, etc. So yeah, that’s probably Ozy in there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Am I the only one who was kinda hoping that Angela was just hosed up on Nostalgia and her husband wasn't really John?

I am interested to see where this goes from here though. Very interesting episode.

Codependent Poster posted:

Hell yeah, Looking Glass killed all the people sent to get him and stole one of their masks to get back in.

gently caress yeah he did

tomapot posted:

Ok, didn’t see that coming. Funny bit with the old school remote not working right away.

Funny but I was honestly kinda upset that Laurie didn't recognize it and jump out of the way. Kinda ridiculous that she's presented as such a no-nonsense badass FBI lady and she falls for some Dr. Evil poo poo?

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 2, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Does Dr. Manhattan experience all time at once, or just his own lifetime?

He has a conversation with Ozymandias where Ozy is like "so how does this all end, did my plan work?" and Manhattan kinda laughs at him like "End? What end? Nothing ever ends."

I think that implies he can see past his own lifetime. But also that the universe is infinite.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Codependent Poster posted:

The clock is how she's going to stop whatever is planned.

If she is Veidt's daughter, and Veidt helped Manhattan become Cal, odds are Manhattan told them that this would happen and they can't stop him from being captured. But they can stop Keene's plan.

Hilario Baldness posted:

I'm guessing she's just something of a kindred spirit to Veidt. She did adopt the moniker of an ancient figure, obscenely intelligent, captain of industry, and most importantly: ambition of saving the world

Trieu literally quoted Veidt with the "look upon my works ye mighty, and despair" although she shifted it slightly into like "if you look upon our work, in despair, then..."

She's def Veidt's daughter IMO

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Isn't Veidt gay? Or was that just a movie thing?

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

TOOT BOOT posted:

At one point Rorschach claims he's "possibly homosexual" but that's it. I don't know if there's anything else about that in the movie.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

I could be overlooking it but I don't remember anything from the comic or movie that made his sexuality clear.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Scooter_McCabe posted:

Probably while jacked up on that elephant IV drip they scanned her memories. The elephant brain being sufficient enough as a storage space and whatever.

come on now, it's obvious why it's an elephant

elephants never forget!

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer

MaoistBanker posted:

That shot of Ozy’s statue had a butterfly too. Cocoon, etc. So yeah, that’s probably Ozy in there.

When he offed the scientists, butterflies were landing on their immobile corpses. Good reference

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

DC Murderverse posted:

come on now, it's obvious why it's an elephant

elephants never forget!

Unfortunately, that was literally the only thing that crossed my mind during that whole sequence. I didn't know whether to laugh or ask my wife to take me to the ER because my eyeballs had rolled so far that I couldn't get them facing forward. Again.

That said, I still enjoyed the gently caress out of this episode.

Early in the series, we see Manhattan on Mars (supposedly) demolish a castle he's built. Later, we see Sister Night's kiddo, Insaneface McGillicuddy, demolish a similar play castle he's constructed out of Magic K'NEX rods. As soon as Grandpa Night said he was Dr. Manhattan, that had me wondering if the kid was Dr. Manhattan. Seems I wasn't too far off.

This all has me wondering... if Dr. Manhattan has all of the powers we're familiar with, what about Dr. Bronx? Dr. Queens? Dr. Brooklyn?

Whoever they are, and whatever they can do, you can sure as poo poo bet the house that they don't have much respect for Dr. Statenisland.

Mulloy
Jan 3, 2005

I am your best friend's wife's sword student's current roommate.

Caros
May 14, 2008

tarlibone posted:

Unfortunately, that was literally the only thing that crossed my mind during that whole sequence. I didn't know whether to laugh or ask my wife to take me to the ER because my eyeballs had rolled so far that I couldn't get them facing forward. Again.

That said, I still enjoyed the gently caress out of this episode.

Early in the series, we see Manhattan on Mars (supposedly) demolish a castle he's built. Later, we see Sister Night's kiddo, Insaneface McGillicuddy, demolish a similar play castle he's constructed out of Magic K'NEX rods. As soon as Grandpa Night said he was Dr. Manhattan, that had me wondering if the kid was Dr. Manhattan. Seems I wasn't too far off.

This all has me wondering... if Dr. Manhattan has all of the powers we're familiar with, what about Dr. Bronx? Dr. Queens? Dr. Brooklyn?

Whoever they are, and whatever they can do, you can sure as poo poo bet the house that they don't have much respect for Dr. Statenisland.

Can't post the image at the moment, but apparently the T in the company logo is a green elephant. Because of course it is.

Edit: gently caress, just found it. Totally just looked like a sinister T until this episode:

Zaphod42 posted:

I could be overlooking it but I don't remember anything from the comic or movie that made his sexuality clear.

Before Watchmen (which is dubiously canon) included a girlfriend for him, as well as a couple of scenes of him lying with her, and another couple of him snugged up to a guy. Enough to suggest he was bisexual.

In the main comic and movie the only hint was Rorschach's musings and a folder on his computer labeled "Boys".

On an unrelated note, I love how the first black superhero had to pretend to be white in order to fit in, while the first blue superhero decided to pretend to be black in order to fit in.

Caros fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 2, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love how the opening scene is set to Living in America, because yea its all about how awesome the US is, but in Rocky IV, there's this huge production and James Brown is singing and Appollo Creed comes out and its this big party while Drogo just glares at all the decadence of it, then he just kills Creed.

It's all a big party in Siagon until BOOM.

Also kid Angela, cold as gently caress. Clearly cop material.

Glad that LG did take out the 7K members. He'll probably show up next week to help Angela. Or he's going to go back to the hideout and find Laurie there. But holy poo poo I love Laurie just rolling her eyes at everything KKKeene said; 'It's hard to be a white man out there' lol gently caress you, Laurie not having it. Plus Triue probably intendeds on getting her so she can get The Comedians DNA to have her Pop there as well.

For a moment I thought the elephant was going to turn out to be how Triue was cloning people.

Also, how come I didn't notice how cute Sara Vickers was until she was wearing that silly outfit British lawyers have to wear?

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

President Redford, are you in the right headspace to receive information that could possibly hurt you?

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

People on the twitterverse already pointing out random foreshadowing like how in the white night flashback he can't stop looking at the grandfather clock

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Jay-V posted:

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:
Nov 11, 2019

LOL gently caress this stupid show

also, WHERE THE gently caress IS LUBEMAN

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
oilyphants and blue peepees are back bay bee. My favorite ep so far.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Lubeman is an anagram of Blueman

Blueman=Manhattan

Manhattan=Cal

Lubeman is cal

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

also the dialogue in tonight's episode was some of the worst of the series. the lady t and angela exchange over the ORB was lmao

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
We're not done with Topher just yet. That scene with him destroying the castle, especially knowing what we now know, is just too obvious to not mean anything. Or...maybe it's so obvious that it just refers to Cal and it is what it is.
Or maybe Topher is a sensitive, and he's building that castle because on some subconscious level he's picking up on the fact that Cal is Dr M, and Cal/Dr M is also on a subconscious level experiencing what his duplicate is doing on Mars. And if there are two Dr M's out there, who's to say there aren't hundreds? Thousands? Millions?
But Lady Trieu said he's not on Mars. Of course she did, she's lying. She knows what he's capable of. She knows one of his dupes is on Mars. And she's going to reassemble him. Just like he reassembled himself. All the Jons all throughout the universe will converge and coalesce in Tulsa. That's what the clock is for. gently caress time travel. We are going to see multiple Dr Manhattans onscreen at the same time. They'll all hear the call, and merge back into one. It'll be cool. I'm just riffing here.

Also, if my phone autocorrects Topher to Gopher one more time I'm gonna throw it out the window.

Also also, I really, really, really hope this show sticks the landing, cuz I love it so far.

And the elephant reveal was great. Alright, that is all.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Zmej posted:

also the dialogue in tonight's episode was some of the worst of the series. the lady t and angela exchange over the ORB was lmao

Most of Lady t's dialogue is pretty bad and the acting is bad on top of it, it's the weakest character in the show.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Also I’ll be pissed if a bunch of dumb racists manage to kill Dr. Manhattan. Although Bubastis never reassembled herself as a blue god, so I don’t know what king peckerwood thinks will happen.

For reference to anyone that didn't read the books, Dr Manhattan was the son of a watchmaker and grew up assembling and re-assembling complex watches. He was raised to restore in the correct order. Not anyone could have done what he did, to re-assemble his molecules into a functioning.. god or godling or whatever he became. In the book it takes him several tries before he re-assembles himself in the correct way.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

Skitz posted:

We're not done with Topher just yet. That scene with him destroying the castle, especially knowing what we now know, is just too obvious to not mean anything. Or...maybe it's so obvious that it just refers to Cal and it is what it is.
Or maybe Topher is a sensitive, and he's building that castle because on some subconscious level he's picking up on the fact that Cal is Dr M, and Cal/Dr M is also on a subconscious level experiencing what his duplicate is doing on Mars. And if there are two Dr M's out there, who's to say there aren't hundreds? Thousands? Millions?
But Lady Trieu said he's not on Mars. Of course she did, she's lying. She knows what he's capable of. She knows one of his dupes is on Mars. And she's going to reassemble him. Just like he reassembled himself. All the Jons all throughout the universe will converge and coalesce in Tulsa. That's what the clock is for. gently caress time travel. We are going to see multiple Dr Manhattans onscreen at the same time. They'll all hear the call, and merge back into one. It'll be cool. I'm just riffing here.

Also, if my phone autocorrects Topher to Gopher one more time I'm gonna throw it out the window.

Also also, I really, really, really hope this show sticks the landing, cuz I love it so far.

And the elephant reveal was great. Alright, that is all.

Saw a joke that Watchmen is a secret prequel to the Leftovers and Manhattan is 2% of all people on earth

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ethiser posted:

The end was crazy, but the best and funniest part was the senator sounding like he was going to reveal that the 7th Calvary wasn’t about racism, before revealing that it actually is.

That was just, aaaah. :discourse:

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

NOT A GREAT PLAN, BOB!

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I'm thinking that Dr. Manhattan must be using Angela as some sort of tool. At the end of the comics Dr. Manhattan seems to have no interest in staying on Earth. I don't see what he would gain from being in a relationship with Angela, it makes no sense. Admittedly Dr. Manhattan's character has always been full of contradictions. Why be in a relationship with Laurie either.

Also, I think the Doomsday Clock may be designed to do what Trieu wanted to do with Nostalgia but better. Something to do with bringing peace and advancing humanity by shaping humanity's collective memory. But then what does that have to do with Dr. Manhattan, clearly he has to have something to do with the clock because his death coincides with the clock.

Also, I find it weird that Trieu says she made Nostalgia. In the comics we see it's marketed as an enterprise under Veidt. Perhaps she was the inventor. But that would mean - opposite to what some people are saying here - that she must not be Veidt's child. Did she make the world's most powerful psychoactive at 10? Her name is never brought up in the comics.

The more I think about it the more I am confused :psyduck:.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Dec 2, 2019

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Ethiser posted:

The end was crazy, but the best and funniest part was the senator sounding like he was going to reveal that the 7th Calvary wasn’t about racism, before revealing that it actually is.

Racism and dogwhistles, name a more classic combination.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

Also, I find it weird that Trieu says she made Nostalgia. In the comics we see it's marketed as an enterprise under Veidt. Perhaps she was the inventor. But that would mean - opposite to what some people are saying here - that she must not be Veidt's child. Did she make the world's most powerful psychoactive at 10?

Veidt's Nostalgia was just a perfume

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm thinking that Dr. Manhattan must be using Angela as some sort of tool.

Source your quotes? :chloe:

He was in vietnam. He meets her. He falls in love with her. Same as he did his first wife, and same as Laurie, and even while he was seeing Laurie he was simultaneously seeing women in his past and in his future.

I think he falls in love with her, and then later when Ozy hatches his scheme and it works, John himself is also affected. Seeing the future from a different perspective, he becomes disillusioned and dispassionate and decides to become human again temporarily in order to find meaning again. Something like that.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 2, 2019

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Box of Bunnies posted:

Veidt's Nostalgia was just a perfume
poo poo, you're right. I'm confusing my memories of the comics with my memories of this show like I'm on Nostalgia.

Edit:

Zaphod42 posted:

Source your quotes? :chloe:

I'm not responding to anyone in particular with that sentence. Unless you mean something else?

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 2, 2019

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

As Veidt's daughter she inherited the Nostalgia trademark, though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm not responding to anyone in particular with that sentence. Unless you mean something else?

"source your quotes" is a long SA joke that means "surely this opinion is so bad, you're posting it because you think its funny and you read it on another website, and not because it is your own"

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I mean, Trieu could just turn on her mind control TVs and say "forget your past traumas and live in harmony" but I guess something more complicated will happen. :shrug:

I'm thinking now that Angela and Jon will escape but the 7th Cav will kidnap their kids and Lubeman and Sister Knight will have to team up with Doctor Manhattan to save Silk Specter II from Evil Keane II.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

"source your quotes" is a long SA joke that means "surely this opinion is so bad, you're posting it because you think its funny and you read it on another website, and not because it is your own"

Welp I guess I'm going to make another bad post right now.

I watched this episode and the one before just today. I would say I liked their take on Hooded Justice better than what the comics suggested, it gives more depth to the character than a random German circus guy who never seemed to have any motivation to be a hero anyway.

But I don't think they handled his relationship with Captain Metropolis very well. I mean, Hooded Justice is already starting a family with another woman and there's a whole neat backstory to that. Him being gay is tacked on without much explanation or exploration. We see them meet for the first time and then next scene well I guess he's just loving Captain Metropolis now (and cheating on his wife) for some reason. It's especially disappointing because there's a dynamic there between Hooded Justice making his life on fighting racism vs Metropolis trying to pretend he's not racist because he's in love with a black guy although he's clearly still bigoted.

The writers had to fill that hole (the plot hole), but it's not very interesting. It almost feels like they're more interested in the attention grab of "oh my God two guys going bareback on TV in 2019" than exploring being gay in the same depth they explore being black.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

a random German circus guy who never seemed to have any motivation to be a hero anyway.

He was maximum horny for beating the poo poo out of people.