Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

cosmo sex tip posted:

more on EMT/Accidental Death chat:

People who are legally allowed to pronounce death, at least in my state (don't know if it varies state-by-state, a lot of these type of regulations do), are limited to Physicians (MD and DO) and Hospice RNs only. EMTs here aren't allowed to do so, so they have what they call Paramedic Base Doctors that they call to pronounce for them. Doctors tend to rotate positions all over the place (teaching hospitals, hospices, private practice, etc) and so PBDs are basically just there to be available to EMTs in the event they're needed to go "yep, call it".

Only a physician is allowed to sign off on a Death Certificate, though, and finding THAT guy can be like pulling teeth for us poor schmucks that work in funeral homes. There's a guy that works in my office and tracking doctors down wherever the hell they might be that day of the week to fax them the paperwork so they can sign it and get it back to State Vital Records so we can get the family their Death Certificates sometime before the heat death of the universe is his actual full-time job. We're a larger funeral home too, so we're usually juggling 25 services at a time, or thereabouts. Smaller mom-and-pop funeral homes usually have all that stuff handled directly by the funeral directors themselves.

anyway that's all to say that we don't really get many OSHA deaths, most of the accidents we handle are like, car accidents or one dude that crashed his snowmobile into a tree, that was pretty gnarly. Worst one was by far the 20-something dude who got mixed up in some kinda gang poo poo they found after a few months in Lake Michigan. His mom had to ID him by photos of what was left of his tattoos. Rough stuff.

Please start an ask/tell thread. What school did you go to? I am close to Johnny Guption in Nashville.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Decapitation is a separate category from 'injury not compatible with life'. Is this because for Category F you have to check if they're breathing and that's difficult if you can't find their head?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can't prove his head isn't breathing somewhere until you find it.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
Does it include internal decapitations, which people might actually survive?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fantastic Flyer posted:

internal decapitations

:stare:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

This is supposedly the largest operating counterblow hammer in the world, and it's only a few miles from me. A buddy works at this place and they do defense work so zero chance of getting to see it in person.

that reminds me of this video where i learned about the Heavy Press Program and how the US are cowards that think 50K presses are good enough.(and China and Russia dont want to go with a nice round 100K)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpgK51w6uhk&t=608s

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Dec 2, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

He’s about 100 feet and several reinforced walls too close to that thing.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost prequel looking good.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm extremely into the aircon vent up top lending a helping hand, personally.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Internal decapitation refers to when the vertebrae clearly break, usually at the base of the skull. It's why the advice of "do not move the body" is part of first aid.

The softer parts of the neck really suck at not preventing the shearing of the spinal nerve. Also that super cool action movie neck snap? internal decapitation, of sorts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Nice try, but that's clearly a super long exposure and that thing is only moving at a couple of rpm.

...right? ...right?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DyD-DGiWx0

only a bit of him in the workshop at 1min

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Whoo boy, he's turning a lot of air on those.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Platystemon posted:

I mean chickens can live for months without heads and I’ve met people that don’t seem to be using more brainpower than a chicken.

That rooster that survived 18 months "without a head" was missing the front half of its skull, its brain was in the part still attached.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

GotLag posted:

That rooster that survived 18 months "without a head" was missing the front half of its skull, its brain was in the part still attached.

I thought it was more that the part of the chickens brainstem that kept it doing life-y things was a bit further down in it's neck and they didn't chop off the important part of it's brain.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Seen in the meme thread, of all places:

https://i.imgur.com/eMSsz0o.mp4

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/WEfLQgw.mp4

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

If he had slid the rope through his belt before the bucket maybe he would have made it!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I remember this being longer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96AbqTXjB0Q
:rip: :guinness:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

This is like 8 year old kid logic.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I love that the reflexive response to tipping is to pull more on the rope as if that will somehow help.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
If he'd just sat on the bucket it would have worked fine.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Guys, show some respect to the deceased! Not only does bucket count as a type of shoe but he literally kicked the bucket :rip:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

That sounds like a best case scenario. The most recent one I (didn't) hear about was pretty rough to the point that the EMT called back again later after everything had spun down in order to "debrief" even though that isn't really a thing, I guess it was some young kid and maybe her dad, obviously I have no specifics to provide but it was a traumatic mess and shitted up everyone's week real good and thorough.
I work in search and rescue, and with us at least, doing a debrief after a rough call is absolutely a thing. We have a critical incident stress management peer team that comes in to have a talk with us, explaining what kind of response we might have to a traumatic incident, and giving us time and space to talk about what we had just gone through. I've received phone calls a few days after the debrief, where the team member is just checking in to see how I'm feeling.
It's a nice change from the old system of just prescribing tryactin. "Looks like you could use a tryactin: Try actin' like a man"

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

B33rChiller posted:

I work in search and rescue, and with us at least, doing a debrief after a rough call is absolutely a thing. We have a critical incident stress management peer team that comes in to have a talk with us, explaining what kind of response we might have to a traumatic incident, and giving us time and space to talk about what we had just gone through. I've received phone calls a few days after the debrief, where the team member is just checking in to see how I'm feeling.
It's a nice change from the old system of just prescribing tryactin. "Looks like you could use a tryactin: Try actin' like a man"

I tried wiki searching tryactin and I'm sad it's not a real drug

I get the joke now though

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

B33rChiller posted:

Oh, for sure, that's good and should absolutely be normal. This was more just "two coworkers commiserating over an ugly situation and calling it a debriefing so they feel comfortable talking it out." There's a bit of "wow, that was bad" and some mutual "we did the right thing" and so on. And it's not out of line, it just sucks that anyone has to deal with it. A team dedicated to providing and supporting that sort of conversation would be amazing, but I suspect it's less common outside of groups that are way more likely to find ugly situations like S&R is. Could be the EMTs have that baked into their system, I couldn't say. The ER physicians might, but that would certainly depend on the specific hospital and I've never heard about it there, dealing with that stuff just seems to be "part of the job."

OSHA: Mental Health Edition

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 2, 2019

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/82wTpM0.mp4

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Chimney relocation looks like a 100% success.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

whoops wrong thread

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Every time I see something like this a little subconscious part of my mind whispers "nailed it".

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

I like to imagine the guy in the back sneaking away continues off the roof, into his car, and into the sunset, never to be seen again

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://i.imgur.com/k813TQv.mp4

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dillbag posted:

I like to imagine the guy in the back sneaking away continues off the roof, into his car, and into the sunset, never to be seen again

Then there's other guy further back all "hey Mike come see what these two dumbasses did!"

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Every time I see something like this a little subconscious part of my mind whispers "nailed it".

I keep thinking Michael Bluth saying "I don't know what I expected."

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
those FOOLS! you're supposed to load it into a barrel winched 14 stories up!

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

You've been hit by

You've been struck by

A smoothing criminal

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

The person in center there who pushed the stack over is the most perfect visual way to display 'welp' to someone that isn't familiar with the term.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

i loved this so much i needed more, here's the entire video (they finish it off) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6h16mYqIU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYmiyguT9U
instructor: "I'm gonna kill myself in a second"