Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for not speaking up about my sister marrying an Ethiopian she met during a layover.

quote:

My sister is marrying a Ethiopian she met on a layover.

I'm making a long story short and having to leave out backstory due to sub rules so just imagine that everything sounds even worse than it actually is.

My sister was on a layover in Ethiopia and she was approached by a local. He said he was a professor at a local college (we looked that up on Facebook and he got the spelling wrong) he said he had art up in a gallery but was too shy to show it to her. He says his dad is also a teacher. He says he's also Christian, like her. So on and so on.

Well after knowing each other less that a week he proposed and she accepted. Now she complains that he gets really mad at her when she wants to hang up.

There's about a million red flags and she's ignoring them while her father is collecting up her paperwork like birth certificate social and security card to mail over.

I think she's going to die or be exploited in some other way but everyone in the family is telling me to shut up about it and just let it happen. The thought of just ignoring this makes me mad at myself just for entertaining that request for this long (three days). I feel like I'm watching a family watch a blind person wander into a burning house while they all say, "Don't worry about it. God will keep her safe."

AITA for keeping my mouth shut and letting this happen without speaking up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

HIJK posted:

so if I wear my shoes in the house then you or someone else will be enraged and/or some other version of piqued? usually I do it because it makes my racist grandparents enraged because I'm not keeping to the Proper Culture but if I can piss off people I don't even know that's an even bigger bonus

You could more easily enrage people by making GBS threads on their floor, like an uncivilized animal, which is what you are if you don't remove your shoes inside

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I find it hilariously in-character that a bunch of Europeans see somewhere do something differently from them, and their immediate instinct is to yell and gnash their teeth and talk about how uncivilized this place must be.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
In my experience shoes off in the house is a class thing. Middle and upper in the UK? Shoes off, dedicated indoor shoes. Working class like my fam don't really care or have cash to splash on separate indoor footwear

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sloth Life posted:

In my experience shoes off in the house is a class thing. Middle and upper in the UK? Shoes off, dedicated indoor shoes. Working class like my fam don't really care or have cash to splash on separate indoor footwear

Bet you haven’t read Pinocchio either

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Enough with the fancy european literature!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Pirate Radar posted:

Bet you haven’t read Pinocchio either

How do you read a movie, idiot :rolleyes:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Neito posted:

I find it hilariously in-character that a bunch of Europeans see somewhere do something differently from them, and their immediate instinct is to yell and gnash their teeth and talk about how uncivilized this place must be.

I was born in and live in the United States

Growing up we never removed shoes but Millenials grew up and realized that that wearing your shoes inside while you watch TV or whatever is some stupid boomer nonsense so now it's pretty common, in my experience, to remove your shoes when you get home.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Looks like taking off your shoes indoor is more a typical asian thing than european.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tradition_of_removing_shoes_in_home.svg

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
What the hell are “indoor shoes” in this context? Do you mean like slippers or something, or are there people who have actual pairs of sneakers or whatever that you wear around the house?

Neito posted:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I consider this to be merely another data point for the US being a savage wasteland.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

I take my shoes off when I get home, but in the living room. People who make you take your shoes off at the door always seem rude to me (but I do it anyway because it's not worth making a scene over).

Also I do it for comfort, not because I'm a germophobe. The idea that your feet are 'clean' after sweating and shedding skin into your socks all day is pretty funny. I'd honestly say I find dirt on the outside of my shoes more hygienic, not less.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

HazCat posted:

I take my shoes off when I get home, but in the living room. People who make you take your shoes off at the door always seem rude to me (but I do it anyway because it's not worth making a scene over).

Also I do it for comfort, not because I'm a germophobe. The idea that your feet are 'clean' after sweating and shedding skin into your socks all day is pretty funny. I'd honestly say I find dirt on the outside of my shoes more hygienic, not less.

You’d be wrong.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

HazCat posted:

Take off your shoes in the entryway you animal

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

This is why proper, civilized people have mudrooms

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

What the hell are “indoor shoes” in this context? Do you mean like slippers or something, or are there people who have actual pairs of sneakers or whatever that you wear around the house?

I can’t speak for everyone else, but I consider this to be merely another data point for the US being a savage wasteland.

Slippers, soft shoes, shoes that are easy to put on and take off.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

extremely online posted:

"We" are only okay with men having no empathy if you're defining "We" as "toxic-masculinity poisoned men and no one else." The rest of We have been trying to address this kind of behavior as the problem it is for a very long time, but it's hard to make any headway since guys like you literally think you're all of humanity.

God bless you for working SO hard for SO very long, without making any headway because everyone else is out to get you and sabotage your work.

It must be very hard.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Jack Trades posted:

God bless you for working SO hard for SO very long, without making any headway because everyone else is out to get you and sabotage your work.

It must be very hard.

I don't think that's what anyone is saying. The social expectation that men will show little to no emotion and not confide in their friends the same way it's acceptable for women to is a huge contributing factor to the higher suicide rate for men. It's literally killing men and that's very sad for everyone but it's not "manly" to talk about.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

13Pandora13 posted:

I don't think that's what anyone is saying.

That's literally what they're saying in the second sentence of that post. I just exaggerated it very slightly for comedic effect.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If you need to wear outdoor shoes inside because your feet will get cold, your bloodline is weak and you deserve to be taken by winter.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Correct

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

13Pandora13 posted:

I don't think that's what anyone is saying. The social expectation that men will show little to no emotion and not confide in their friends the same way it's acceptable for women to is a huge contributing factor to the higher suicide rate for men. It's literally killing men and that's very sad for everyone but it's not "manly" to talk about.

It's not that sad

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Sloth Life posted:

if your concept of working class is exclusively white, sure

Try that poo poo in an African/Asian working class household and you'll get some shoes thrown at you

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

So they'd go back to the front door and collect their shoes to throw at you?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
if y'all leave the shoes at the door what do you eat soup out of >???? :thunk:

kru
Oct 5, 2003

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

if y'all leave the shoes at the door what do you eat soup out of >???? :thunk:

the house slippers

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

AITA for not speaking up about my sister marrying an Ethiopian she met during a layover.

The way this is written OPs family's response to "She might get murdered!" is an excited "We know, right?!?"

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Barudak posted:

The way this is written OPs family's response to "She might get murdered!" is an excited "We know, right?!?"

The gossip around family holidays is gonna be a goldmine for years.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
Well the good news is he's got her sending him her SIN and copies of the her birth certificate so I don't think he's looking to murder her.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jack Trades posted:

That's literally what they're saying in the second sentence of that post. I just exaggerated it very slightly for comedic effect.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

Imagine needing to do these kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid letting the thought "women exist" enter your quivering brain

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

extremely online posted:

Imagine needing to do these kinds of mental gymnastics to avoid letting the thought "women exist" enter your quivering brain

I think you’re thinking of Cumshitter

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Pirate Radar posted:

I think you’re thinking of Cumshitter

there's no part of cumshitter you couldn't bounce a quarter off of

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

QuarkJets posted:

You could more easily enrage people by making GBS threads on their floor, like an uncivilized animal, which is what you are if you don't remove your shoes inside

I'm sorry I'm acting too white grandma just don't break my fingers or beat me with a belt again

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

extremely online posted:

there's no part of cumshitter you couldn't bounce a quarter off of

Gymnastics does make dudes buff as gently caress yeah

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

AITA for insisting that my wife make more specific grocery lists and in units actually sold in the store? posted:

I have been doing the grocery shopping for the family lately (I almost never do. I come along on occasion but my job is usually just to keep our older kid entertained because she "needed" to come along rather than stay home with me). My wife just had our second child and it's a huge hassle for us all go to the store at once so she stays with the newborn and the 3 yr old and I go to the store.

Anyway, she still makes the lists using the recipes that she is going to make for dinner, but she will only write the exact measurement the recipe calls for (20 oz semisweet chocolate) rather than just simply what it is at the store (2 12 oz bags of semisweet chocolate CHIPS) . Additionally, we try to buy organic as much as possible but occasionally if they don't have whatever item organic she still wants me to buy it.

This leads to me having to call her for clarification on just about 3/4 of the list on any given shopping day while trying to answer the 15th "Why?" my three year old daughter has asked me.

When I bring it up, I just get stuff like: "I just left that up to you" , but also she'll be upset that I got some things wrong.

This hasn't caused any serious fights but I would like to know what Reddit thinks.

This one has me torn. She writes shopping lists annoyingly, but he seems to refuse to think. You can't figure out how to buy chocolate chips, dude? Also why is she apparently doing all the cooking when she has a newborn. Like what if... he planned the meals and wrote up a shopping list based on what he decided they needed to make those meals?

Edit: lmao I am no longer torn

reddit comment posted:

OP literally posted a picture of HIS WIFE'S spaghetti in r/food. He's not the kind of person who's going to cook anything. poo poo was embarrassing, people asked for the recipe and he was like "dunno, the wife made it". Sad.

extremely online fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 2, 2019

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

HIJK posted:

I'm sorry I'm acting too white grandma just don't break my fingers or beat me with a belt again

obviously no one should ever be beaten for acting white

acting american on the other hand...

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

extremely online posted:

This one has me torn. She writes shopping lists annoyingly, but he seems to refuse to think. You can't figure out how to buy chocolate chips, dude? Also why is she apparently doing all the cooking when she has a newborn. Like what if... he planned the meals and wrote up a shopping list based on what he decided they needed to make those meals?

Edit: lmao I am no longer torn

Just count, dude! If she asks for 20 oz. of chocolate for a recipe, you buy bags of chocolate that equal 20 oz. or slightly more! If they're out of organic lettuce but she's fine with you buying non-organic lettuce normally, buy the drat lettuce!

He sounds like one of those guys who pretends to be incompetent at stuff so they don't have to do it anymore.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
whiteness and americanosity are interchangeable, both whiteocity and americanility are the result of colonial forces ripping an ethnicity's heritage and culture from them in exchange for hollow capitalist sentiments.

this is also why the Han chinese are white while the Uighyr are not.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sloth Life posted:

Working class like my fam don't really care or have cash to splash on separate indoor footwear

...feet? Socks?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Fallom posted:

...feet? Socks?

LUXURY! us poor folk simply float around the houses with bloody stumps for ankles, screechin like a dang ole Wendigo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new boot goofin
Jul 23, 2007

like school in july
Lmao, just lmao if you don't have Enrique don your Corinthian leather house slippers the second you come in the door

Taking your shoes off in the home? A bourgeoisie affectation :lofty: