Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why is turning down an egg even an option

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Sometimes the nursery lady deserves a nice snack

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Macaluso posted:

Cause sometimes the first baby is perfect and I've already got 4 more eggs so just keep it.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Back in XY, declining an egg was an essential part of the Time Machine method of breeding.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I sent my entire team on HP and attack seminars and now none of their other stats seem to be increasing (like SpA). Have I ruined my team?

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

I sent my entire team on HP and attack seminars and now none of their other stats seem to be increasing (like SpA). Have I ruined my team?

Maybe? do you have any special attack users on your team? You can check your EV progress by pressing X on the stat summary screen. A yellow overlay will show how the EVs are split up. If a stat is fully maxed it will sparkle, and if the pokemon is full up on EVs then the overlay will be translucent instead of vivid. A pokemon can only max out two stats before running out of EV room. Which sounds like what you may have done.

There are berries that can fix this problem, but without a farm to grow them you will be limited in how many you have access to.

Sorry.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Modest Eternatus on the first try :woop:
I have a feeling this ugly wireframe idiot monster is going to become a very good friend.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Pentaro posted:

Modest Eternatus on the first try :woop:
I have a feeling this ugly wireframe idiot monster is going to become a very good friend.

Did they finally realize people reset for this poo poo and just guarantee it Modest? Mine was Modest, first try, as well.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Mine was also Modest, I just thought I'd gotten really lucky

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Mine was Sassy and I do not regret that in the slightest because it amuses me.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Mine's Jolly which makes me quite happy when I always get to go first each round on raids.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Maybe? do you have any special attack users on your team? You can check your EV progress by pressing X on the stat summary screen. A yellow overlay will show how the EVs are split up. If a stat is fully maxed it will sparkle, and if the pokemon is full up on EVs then the overlay will be translucent instead of vivid. A pokemon can only max out two stats before running out of EV room. Which sounds like what you may have done.

There are berries that can fix this problem, but without a farm to grow them you will be limited in how many you have access to.

Sorry.

this poo poo irritates me because there's almost zero information in the actual game about EVs or IVs and yet there's all this support for changing them and that can lead to suboptimal builds for raids and PVP, or potentially several hours of grinding on my part to negate the changes I've made.

The way the system works currently, it seems like you definitely get those ability points because every time I send them on a job they return with a message that says +96 BASE INCREASE, which leads me to believe their stats are being raised, even though they aren't. As far as I can tell there's nothing that says you can only max two stats, so now my Eiscue and Charizard are practically useless unless I spend the time to farm the berries that'll lower their attack stat bonus back down to zero. Do the berries only lower their EV stats (the ones I got from the jobs) or do they lower their base stats as well?

It really sucks that unless I watch a 15 minute long youtube video starring some bearded guy I can't really get this information in the game.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

EVs and IVs need to go or just get tuned to sliders you can adjust on the fly.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Chill Penguin posted:

Did they finally realize people reset for this poo poo and just guarantee it Modest? Mine was Modest, first try, as well.

I had to reset 40 times just to get a Timid one :argh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

less than three posted:

Eternatus seems to be inspired by a warp gate in EVE.

The Caldari are desecendants of Pokémon trainers.

Macaluso posted:

Is Team Rocket still Jesse, James and Meowth? If they want to replace Ash's friends each time then fine but I will not stand for them breaking up the Team Rocket family in the same way

Wasn’t there some other team rocket group with a rattacate? I think it was Butch and Cassidy? I don’t remember much about them other than they sucked.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

The Caldari are desecendants of Pokémon trainers.

Wasn’t there some other team rocket group with a rattacate? I think it was Butch and Cassidy? I don’t remember much about them other than they sucked.

Yes, but they haven’t been seen since way back in the Diamond & Pearl adaption.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

socialsecurity posted:

evs and ivs need to stay--they help differentiate pokémon so that no 2 are exactly alike. but im all for the games making them more visible to the player

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Live Free posted:

evs and ivs need to stay--they help differentiate pokémon so that no 2 are exactly alike. but im all for the games making them more visible to the player

Natures do IVs in much more elegant fashion, and in general differentiation can kinda suck when it means some Pokemon are flat out worse than others of the same species. If there were more meaningful tradeoffs I'd find differentiation far more engaging.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Verisimilidude posted:

this poo poo irritates me because there's almost zero information in the actual game about EVs or IVs and yet there's all this support for changing them and that can lead to suboptimal builds for raids and PVP, or potentially several hours of grinding on my part to negate the changes I've made.

The way the system works currently, it seems like you definitely get those ability points because every time I send them on a job they return with a message that says +96 BASE INCREASE, which leads me to believe their stats are being raised, even though they aren't. As far as I can tell there's nothing that says you can only max two stats, so now my Eiscue and Charizard are practically useless unless I spend the time to farm the berries that'll lower their attack stat bonus back down to zero. Do the berries only lower their EV stats (the ones I got from the jobs) or do they lower their base stats as well?

It really sucks that unless I watch a 15 minute long youtube video starring some bearded guy I can't really get this information in the game.

The only bright side I can give you on this is that it has never been easier to just roll a new mon through breeding or catching and get it perfect. I would definately not recommend berry hunting, just breed the mon you have (or go deeper down the rabbit hole with IVs and natures if you want) and run them through the Jobs training the way you want.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

no "gamefreak needs to overhaul x, y, or z aspect of Pokemon" discussion can be complete without someone chiming in that Onix needs to get buffed.

onix needs to get buffed. it's base stats are lower than butterfree's, and almost 1/2 of them are just in defense. It has lower attack than Oddish, a special attacker. loving 35 base health, making even the 160 base defense pointless because it isn't bulky enough to use it. Onix is only as bad as it is because it was the signature pokemon of the first gym leader, and they didn't want it to be too hard, and didn't want it to be lower level then the geodude.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Bee posted:

Natures do IVs in much more elegant fashion, and in general differentiation can kinda suck when it means some Pokemon are flat out worse than others of the same species. If there were more meaningful tradeoffs I'd find differentiation far more engaging.

Yeah natures at least are immediately visible and you don't need to wait for the post game to understand what's going on. (Even if blue being lowered and red being raised took me a bit to guess, I thought it was the other way. :v:) IV's are just annoying gateway to a mon being usable. EV's are....at least something you can do, but they also mean any pokemon you raise through the game is 'ruined' until you reset their EV's to what's good.

Also you can check EV's in game, hit your control stick while looking at a pokemon's stats. The stats will turn yellow and you will see grey triangles representing what it's EV's are.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://twitter.com/xilliette/status/1201374769016262657

i want my pokemon to judge me

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

socialsecurity posted:

I’m all for ease of use but I don’t think instant sliders are the answer and a little bit of time and effort is fine.

Just give the EV numbers to you straight up and give an easy way to reset like in gen 6.

IVs are a lot dumber but I’ll admit there’s not much like the rush I feel when I breed a 5 IV mon.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
EVs were meant to exist so that Sarah's Poliwag would be special and unique compared to Leah's and they're fine for that. The reason it's all half steps to make the easier to manipulate is because they weren't meant to be manually/knowingly manipulated at first.

Real Sakurai hours for it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

TeenageArchipelago posted:

no "gamefreak needs to overhaul x, y, or z aspect of Pokemon" discussion can be complete without someone chiming in that Onix needs to get buffed.

onix needs to get buffed. it's base stats are lower than butterfree's, and almost 1/2 of them are just in defense. It has lower attack than Oddish, a special attacker. loving 35 base health, making even the 160 base defense pointless because it isn't bulky enough to use it. Onix is only as bad as it is because it was the signature pokemon of the first gym leader, and they didn't want it to be too hard, and didn't want it to be lower level then the geodude.
Honestly I feel like gamefreak is more likely to change almost anything besides pokemon base stats. The only way I see them ever touching pokemon stats is with regional forms.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

The Bee posted:

i would really prefer if they didn't remove any more of the game than they already have

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

EVs were meant to exist so that Sarah's Poliwag would be special and unique compared to Leah's and they're fine for that. The reason it's all half steps to make the easier to manipulate is because they weren't meant to be manually/knowingly manipulated at first.

Real Sakurai hours for it

This is so wild to me because I was as absorbed in poke mania as a kid as I possibly could have been, and I'm pretty confident at no point did I compare the stats of my same-level mons to my friends'.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If IVs were gone would that remove gameplay? You don't unlock the IV checker until postgame, and even then it just means you can't use these pokemon until you max out their IV's. There's just a lot of egg grinding that...while it can be enjoyable as something mindless while listening to podcasts I wouldn't say the game is better for it. You'd still be breeding for natures/abilities.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I think that they should just make the EV reducing berries purchasable (with your choice of money, watts, or BP). Make nature mints purchasable with money and watts too.

That way you can still have the postgame goals of making perfect pokemon, but you can more easily fix your playthrough pokemon, or any mistakes you make while learning breeding. It would still take some effort, but would feel less punishing for newcomers.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Genovera posted:

I think that they should just make the EV reducing berries purchasable (with your choice of money, watts, or BP). Make nature mints purchasable with money and watts too.

That way you can still have the postgame goals of making perfect pokemon, but you can more easily fix your playthrough pokemon, or any mistakes you make while learning breeding. It would still take some effort, but would feel less punishing for newcomers.

i agree about the berries, but the battle tower is easy enough that the mints being bp only is fine. maybe lower the price to 20-30

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Live Free posted:

i agree about the berries, but the battle tower is easy enough that the mints being bp only is fine. maybe lower the price to 20-30

Yeah but the battle tower is boooooooooooring this time. Previous gens I would agree though.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

Honestly I feel like gamefreak is more likely to change almost anything besides pokemon base stats. The only way I see them ever touching pokemon stats is with regional forms.

they have before. for example, Arbok got a 10 point buff to it's attack in gen 7. like, what you would need to do to Onix to make it not absolute garbage would require much more than 10 points in to it's attack, but still

I just want my giant rock snake boi, god drat it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Onix's face is the worst thing Gamefreak has ever done to the series

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Countblanc posted:

I'm still leaning towards it being that steelix's overworld model floats through the air but it's battle model being the same "tail on the ground, head lifted up in to the air" that Onix has

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

If IVs were gone would that remove gameplay? You don't unlock the IV checker until postgame, and even then it just means you can't use these pokemon until you max out their IV's. There's just a lot of egg grinding that...while it can be enjoyable as something mindless while listening to podcasts I wouldn't say the game is better for it. You'd still be breeding for natures/abilities.

Breeding for only nature and ability is a 1 step process. This would basically remove breeding which some people might prefer but I would not. I think that the items are a better solution since you still have something to accomplish, but can get there either by breeding or by items if you don't like breeding.

Also you can absolutely use pokemon who do not have max IVs-- just doing nature and EVs will get you pretty far. The reason why the IV checker is hidden is because otherwise people will fixate on IVs when frankly most people don't need to.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

I thought they gave Onix a buff in Gen 2. It's called Steelix.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Genovera posted:

Yeah but the battle tower is boooooooooooring this time. Previous gens I would agree though.

Last couple games i've just been using up my giant stockpile of BP from bank, and I still have like 1000 some odd left. I hope to god Home allows them to transfer up and be used in SnS or otherwise i'm gonna have to find a weird use for them all in USUM.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Countblanc posted:

golem

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

actually accelgor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Countblanc posted:

This is so wild to me because I was as absorbed in poke mania as a kid as I possibly could have been, and I'm pretty confident at no point did I compare the stats of my same-level mons to my friends'.
R/B Blaine gym quiz has "T/F: Pokemon of the same level and species are not identical?" and I assume that is literally the entire driver of the Stat EXP (later became EVs) system, even though IVs also existed, who even fuckin knows, not me