Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Inacio posted:

have cig ever admitted that one of their gameplay design decisions wasn't absolutely perfect and great?

They removed all the docking collars saying that they had no idea how to make it work. They've yet to re-appear, meaning that there's at least one more ship refactor coming, or a quiet pushing it behind something in the constant firehose of crap.

stingtwo posted:

I've wondered what the gently caress the pitch Chris made to make the Calders invest in the 1st place, Investing in any company requires a not Sandi stupid sales projections and profits of your next few years.

"Here's our funding tracker. We can extrapolate future sales based on a solid assumption that we've currently hit around 15% of our entire installed base during this time when our marketing has largely been word of mouth. Here you can see the growth of another game that involves shooting, 'Fortnite'. Here is a slide of a kitten sitting in a pile of money."

Scruffpuff posted:

My understanding is that the "10%" is a meaningless, and ultimately misleading figure.

It valued the property at half a billion dollars. See other game properties to know why this was a hell of a long shot.

Edit:

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Dec 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
even if the calders wanted 10% of CIGs yearly gross, it would take them roughly 11 years to make back their investment

usually investments like this are expecting double to triple their returns in 24 to 36 months

as I've said before, 2020 is going to be the year to watch crobbo try and untangle some of this mess. its going to be quite entertaining

I mean the business/legal stuff, not star citizen

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's odd how little the Calder investment phased Citizens. Like Chris whole thing is touting how he doesn't take orders from any publisher and so the game can be built how he wants in his own due time. But then he gives away %10 stake in a company he was entirely gifted for free, like Citizens should be upset he sold THEIR backing funds to an outside investor who now has a stake and whether they want to admit it or not some say in what CIG does.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

TheAgent posted:

even if the calders wanted 10% of CIGs yearly gross, it would take them roughly 11 years to make back their investment

usually investments like this are expecting double to triple their returns in 24 to 36 months

as I've said before, 2020 is going to be the year to watch crobbo try and untangle some of this mess. its going to be quite entertaining

I mean the business/legal stuff, not star citizen

How do you think the Cryengine lawsuit will go.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_A-qgnjEn0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

echothreealpha posted:

Settlement in the new year; they're still sweating discovery, but they'll be more inclined to settle the closer it gets to July.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

It's odd how little the Calder investment phased Citizens. Like Chris whole thing is touting how he doesn't take orders from any publisher and so the game can be built how he wants in his own due time. But then he gives away %10 stake in a company he was entirely gifted for free, like Citizens should be upset he sold THEIR backing funds to an outside investor who now has a stake and whether they want to admit it or not some say in what CIG does.
10% is from their valuation which can be entirely made up (this is how you get companies operating at crippling losses somehow "worth" half a billion dollars).

it looks to me that the $47m was more for like half of the company and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "oops we didn't make you a shitload of money on time, here's the entire company" clause in there

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

echothreealpha posted:

fun?

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
They should just give up and make Star Citizen into a Space Truck Simulator.

lol

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Remember when Chris claimed the Calder money was just for advertising SQ42 and then at their own tightly controlled convention they failed to even mention SQ42 at all? A video game entering beta next year, lol.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Cryyp3r's giving off serious DOW 36000 vibes to me.

"What if...the market just never crashes?"

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Popete posted:

Remember when Chris claimed the Calder money was just for advertising SQ42 and then at their own tightly controlled convention they failed to even mention SQ42 at all? A video game entering beta next year, lol.

It's going to be an interesting month with the BBC Click episode on Star Citizen, as well as the possibly upcoming holiday livestream.

About the BBC Click series though, one of the people on the show is Kate Russell, who apparently had a feud with Derek Smart, and which I'm steering away from even thinking about because, it's a Derek Smart feud.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

With moments like this, I’d say BEST ONE YET.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

G0RF posted:

With moments like this, I’d say BEST ONE YET.

early days, the new basic FPS movement workflows will fix this.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

echothreealpha posted:

Dude who made Fyre Fest got some pretty rich investors on board.

That guy is also sitting in prison for financial fraud. I'm not saying that CIG did or didn't lie to the investors. I'm saying that there are consequences to playing it fast and loose with the truth when it comes to investors. Backers you can lie to all day and nothing will likely happen. Maybe a slap on the wrist and a small fine. Lying to big money is what can get you locked up and I don't know if CIG is at that level of desperation yet. Although, I would bet that Chris is at that level of delusion, that he thinks that Squadron 42 will sell millions of copies if the loving cock goblins coding his magnum opus could get off their lazy asses and program the game the way he is envisioning it in his stuck-in-the-90's programmer brain.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

stingtwo posted:

I've wondered what the gently caress the pitch Chris made to make the Calders invest in the 1st place, Investing in any company requires a not Sandi stupid sales projections and profits of your next few years.

It took previous iterations of this thread what little info was public to determine, CI haven't been making money for years

They also didn't invest at the start of the project hoping to have a successful game that could be made into a movie or whatever, although now thinking about it, that might have been how Chris pitched it.

But $40 million for a mere 10% of CI, when Vivendi paid $180 million for just under 30% of ubisoft 4 years ago. Something is going on, either hidden assets or a nuke button the Calders have if goals are not met.

Softbank has invested something like 8 billion dollars in wework, which values wework at 25 billion for softbank to break even. And since there is now no way in hell wework will ever get that sort of valuation now we can assume that mayyyybe, just mayyyyybe, investors can be as dumb as star citizen backers.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
Has there been game devs that has spoken positively about Star Citizen in the past 3, or 4 years

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

CCN: Star Citizen Has Crowd-Funded a Cool $250 Million, but Will It Be Any Good?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

loving :lol:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Sarsapariller posted:

* Public flights to any major hub you've been to before. Doesn't even have to be animated- just make it a terminal interaction that ports your character to the new spaceport.

I think being able to choose which port to respawn on would probably work better.

Sarsapariller posted:

* More localized missions. poo poo should not be sending you more than 10 minutes out of your way unless it's deliberately taking you to a new hub.

Definitely. Combat missions are currently local like that, and are the best thing to actually do in the game, but half of them are unplayable and the other half either don't spawn with regularity or just don't work either. There is a reason I never really ever left Delamar when I was playing. It's just the best place to be.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Warp-to-friend, same deal as the other teleports but maybe on a timer. Maybe just let people hop into their friend's turret without losing their original position in the world when they leave.

Apparently they want to let you jump into your friend's NPCs. I don't expect it to happen any time soon.

Sarsapariller posted:

* Put a bunch of interesting poo poo in deep space that can only be discovered through flying and scanning. Secret cargo caches, pirate bases, whatever. Just give people doing the flying a reason to look around.

Definitely, but the way they designed QT makes that just impossible. They should have done a supercruise like system that Elite uses.

Hav posted:

They removed all the docking collars saying that they had no idea how to make it work. They've yet to re-appear, meaning that there's at least one more ship refactor coming, or a quiet pushing it behind something in the constant firehose of crap.

4.0 has ship to station docking. I'm going to guess 4.3 because ship to station will be delayed once to 4.1 and ship to ship will be 4.2 but then delayed to 4.3.

The Constellation snub fighter cannot be used until ship to ship docking works and CIG's goal is to make its iconic ship broken and worthless for as long as possible.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Apparently they want to let you jump into your friend's NPCs. I don't expect it to happen any time soon.
This is one of those things they later walked back.

What's great about promising the world is that your promises stay out there in the common understanding, even if you retreat from them when pressed.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

This is one of those things they later walked back.

What's great about promising the world is that your promises stay out there in the common understanding, even if you retreat from them when pressed.

What? I thought this was something that was actually brought up recently. Oh well, there is no way I'm going to review things they said the past month just to make sure.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019
The entire CIG team is going to walk out to get a pack of cigarette one of these days.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

echothreealpha posted:

The entire CIG team is going to walk out to get a pack of cigarette one of these days.

I'm closer to believing that they're going to show up to padlocked offices after a month of bounced paychecks.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

Somebody should point out to good' ol' Vertixcizes that one of the selling points was no publisher nor INVESTORS, and here we are.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Never forget this shitstorm humble beginnings:

It's not everyday that you get 500 times the money you asked for and are yet unable to deliver five years after your original deadline.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

trucutru posted:

It's not everyday that you get 500 times the money you asked for and are yet unable to deliver five years after your original deadline.

But the scope expanded to fill the additional funding! As Chris Roberts, not at all a fraud and a thief, said: "That's the whole drat point!"

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Shots fired.

Fuckin :lol:

Sniped :D

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

skeletors_condom posted:

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1. Looks like UnknownTarget had the closest estimate if we assume that the time period ends at midnight Saturday in PST.

Current: $250,006,142 - Sunday, December 1st, 03:00 EST (00:00 PST)
Average: $255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

=================================================

$242,199,498 - Aramoro
$242,779,812 - Viscous Soda
$245,150,420 - Taintrunner
$246,473,284 - Beexoffel
$246,512,768 - Spatial
$246,948,655 - TheAgent
$246,948,658 - Sandweed
$247,420,069 - Thoatse
$247,696,969 - Bubbacub
$247,861,935 - Jobbo_Fett
$248,420,069 - Dwesa
$248,424,242 - monkeytek
$248,457,941 - Kosumo
$248,902,021 - Sabreseven
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy
$251,227,605 - Zzr
$251,345,678 - Barfolemew
$251,947,069 - Koil
$252,020,240 - Mr.PayDay
$252,080,085 - AutismVaccine
$252,639,488 - DigitalPenny
$253,112,149 - downout
$253,284,764 - skeletors_condom
$253,769,823 - Dragonrah
$254,421,541 - SoMoteItBe
$254,545,454 - Bootcha
$254,603,497 - Peter.Quint
$255,000,000 - Iceclaw
$255,328,603 - jarlywarly
$255,420,069 - Sanya Juutilainen
$255,420,693 - Midnight Voyager
$255,743,119 - precision
$256,789,012 - h3isenbug
$257,024,024 - Hazamuth
$258,000,000 - Inacio
$258,522,420 - Baxta
$258,895,345 - GoingPostal
$260,000,000 - Agony Aunt
$260,000,001 - Blue On Blue
$261,135,996 - Jonny Shiloh
$261,227,605 - 1500
$262,114,501 - Differo Cathedra
$262,424,244 - commando in tophat
$262,426,969 - Dogeh
$263,100,100 - Colostomy Bag
$264,300,000 - Shazback
$264,666,666 - trucutru
$265,000,000 - Ponzi
$265,213,721 - Kikas Sign
$265,227,605 - his nibs
$266,666,666 - Orions Lord
$267,593,481 - Bofast
$267,999,999 - Zazz Razzamatazz
$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

Note: I might have missed someone or got something wrong. I am not running this, did it just for fun.

You were spot on.

Sweet, did I win an Idris?

Edit: what's the plural of Idris? Idrisi? Idresses? Idrissis?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

UnknownTarget posted:

Plural zeroes is still zero.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Nalin posted:

4.0 has ship to station docking. I'm going to guess 4.3 because ship to station will be delayed once to 4.1 and ship to ship will be 4.2 but then delayed to 4.3.

The Constellation snub fighter cannot be used until ship to ship docking works and CIG's goal is to make its iconic ship broken and worthless for as long as possible.

Pretty much, although I would point out that they removed the docking collars a while back in the second ship refactor, and if they want to go back to that gameplay, they'll need both mechanics and a solid path forward.

The reason they dropped them was almost purely mechanical because they literally couldn't get ships arranged to couple. So they actually need a tier 0 'concept' before they can slap it on the scrum board.

The reason I pick it out isn't because of it's absence, but more for the fact they've had to remove it because they really hadn't thought out how all off this technical debt in the form of money-generating jpegs. They've actually spent money on recessing a feature, which could have been avoided with an upfront design document during those heady early few years when they were unencumbered by employees.

At the moment, they find themselves art asset heavy, but lacking some of the meat of the actual game, like needing to redefine the speed of light so their networking layer could work.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownTarget posted:

Idriae.

A flock of Idriae is called an Elba

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

In the world of Kickstarting that's actually getting very common, especially for games. Scope increases to impossible levels because of stretch goals, costs are underestimated (manufacturing and shipping costs for board/card games in particular), etc.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

trucutru posted:

Idriae.

A flock of Idriae is called an Elba

Coincidentally, a flock of Idriae also cost an arse and an Elba. :downsrim:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

UnknownTarget posted:

What type of avatar do you want?

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

trucutru posted:

This is obviously FUD. Chris was fabulously wealthy before Star Citizen, why would he have ever needed to crowdfund a pitiful $500,000?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hav posted:

They removed all the docking collars saying that they had no idea how to make it work.

Look, if you want unfidelitous unrealistic things like docking collars, just go play KSP or something. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

:laffo: