Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
r/Games

r/pcgaming

r/MarkMyWords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shrach posted:

This is obviously FUD. Chris was fabulously wealthy before Star Citizen, why would he have ever needed to crowdfund a pitiful $500,000?

Everybody knows that Chris only did the kickstarter as a way to show the publishers that there was demand for this sort of game, but as money came crashing in he -in his infinite wisdom- decided to self-publish as every dollar would be worth multiple times more than if he had gotten in bed with an evil publisher. Then he asked for more money to expedite the development of the game. Had he not received a quarter billion dollars he would have been unable to show the astounding progress the game made in the past few years. That kind of value proposition is what makes him a legendary developer worthy of being included in Ready Player One

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Scruffpuff posted:

Plural zeroes is still zero.

:boom:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

trucutru posted:

Idriae.

A flock of Idriae is called an Elba

:golfclap:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mirificus posted:

r/Games

r/pcgaming

r/MarkMyWords

Wait a second....

Mirificus posted:

r/pcgaming

Computer, magnify!

:vince:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Is it the same guy as our MMO HMO legend???

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

trucutru posted:

Ready Player Zero

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

trucutru posted:

Everybody knows that Chris only did the kickstarter as a way to show the publishers that there was demand for this sort of game, but as money came crashing in he -in his infinite wisdom- decided to self-publish as every dollar would be worth multiple times more than if he had gotten in bed with an evil publisher. Then he asked for more money to expedite the development of the game. Had he not received a quarter billion dollars he would have been unable to show the astounding progress the game made in the past few years. That kind of value proposition is what makes him a legendary developer worthy of being included in Ready Player One

Star Citizen: Not Ready Tier One

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Chomp8645 posted:

It is

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

Yes. Are you not entertained?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Some dudes just have a knack for picking all the shittiest games. Like whatsisname there, Lethality I think

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

So who is this guy again? Any links to get up to speed quickly?

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Objection!

I'd totally trust CR to run a children's party. Clowns always go down well with children.

Well... unless Stephen King is involved.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Star Citizen: Chances Are Things Won't End

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

G0RF posted:

With moments like this, I’d say BEST ONE YET.

You see, this is why its good not to be held back by a publisher. A publisher would look at that and fire the whole dev team. Backers on the other hand will spend another few hundred thousand on JPGs after seeing that in order to show that the vision is coming along just nicely.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

it looks to me that the $47m was more for like half of the company and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "oops we didn't make you a shitload of money on time, here's the entire company" clause in there

Yeah, it wouldn’t be the strangest thing in the world if Chris entered it for that reason. He gets out from under an impossible deliverable with a crapton of cash, turns the mess over to some other group who gets to be the bad guy, and Chris walks away telling himself and others “you can’t hate a guy for aiming high, right?” It’d be a Freelancer redux, with some new complications like the Crytek lawsuit.

Might be why Sandi bugged out early. The thread always said she’d be the canary in the coal mine. She’s not been the only one laying low this year. We ain’t seen much of the formerly ubiquitous Foundry old guard either — the gang that stood beside Chris in the Holiday 2017 livestream / office tour seems to have become camera shy since the deal went down.

He’d need more than Calder to pull it all off, obviously, but who knows what else might be going on behind the scenes? There’s a cash machine beneath this frankenmess and a single player player game with an all star roster. It’s quite the fixer-upper opportunity if you put it in the hands of competent game designs for a few years and banished Chris to the phantom zone.

(Then again, maybe he’s still fully in control and it’s just still early days for the BDSSE!)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

G0RF posted:

With moments like this, I’d say BEST ONE YET.

Lol, literally - my wife is looking at me with that "are you laughing at space games again?" look.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

G0RF posted:

He’d need more than Calder to pull it all off, obviously, but who knows what else might be going on behind the scenes? There’s a cash machine beneath this frankenmess and a single player player game with an all star roster. It’s quite the fixer-upper opportunity if you put it in the hands of competent game designs for a few years and banished Chris to the phantom zone.

I'm not sure this part is true, for the following reasons:

- The engine is not fit for purpose
- If the engine changes the assets may be unusable
- There is no design for a game here
- The "lore" is valueless
- The single-player game is doomed because Chris wrote the script

It makes more sense to make "Star Citizen" from scratch than it does to buy their technical debt and try to wrangle it into something functional.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm not sure this part is true, for the following reasons:

- The engine is not fit for purpose
- If the engine changes the assets may be unusable
- There is no design for a game here
- The "lore" is valueless

It makes more sense to make "Star Citizen" from scratch than it does to buy their technical debt and try to wrangle it into something functional.

How dare you insult the Lore - they have multiple alien languages dammit!!! And “Chris wrote the script” is no insult. I mean he’s the guy who came up with spiky ceremonial stick swords that also double as the ignition for Vanduul spacecraft. That’s genius, baby - genius!

“Ka-CHUNK!”

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Agony Aunt posted:

You see, this is why its good not to be held back by a publisher. A publisher would look at that and fire the whole dev team. Backers on the other hand will spend another few hundred thousand on JPGs after seeing that in order to show that the vision is coming along just nicely.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

UnknownTarget posted:

Sweet, did I win an Idris?

Edit: what's the plural of Idris? Idrisi? Idresses? Idrissis?

We had this over on the Elite Dangerous forums a while ago. I think it should be Idridēs (3rd declension from idris, idrid-) but there's an argument to be made that as it's actually a Welsh name (an example of which is the eponymous dragon who helped keep Ivor the Engine's boiler nice and hot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_the_Engine#Idris_the_Dragon and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZMNyscPcg) the plural should be "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch".

Maybe resident CIG pretendy linguist Britton Watkins will have a view.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Lol, literally - my wife is looking at me with that "are you laughing at space games again?" look.

I feel grief.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Colostomy Bag posted:

I feel grief.

No need friend, we're quite happy.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

To be fair the bar is really, really low for scripts in action games, SQ42 only needs to feel like a generic space action movie to be a serviceable device for the gameplay. There's tons of beloved games with dogshit plots and scripts unpopular opinion: Hideo Kojima is an overrated hack when it comes to writing.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

There is this theory of the Crobius
A twist in the fabric of space when jpegs go on sale

When we reach that point
If you're a commando, you will pledge again

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

So who is this guy again? Any links to get up to speed quickly?

Edit: Just do the post history - https://forums.somethingawful.com/query.php?action=results&qid=1575325086&page=1

The long and the short of it was that he was our Lethality, and got quite bitter** and stopped posting (implying internet death and/or devolution from the one true posting platform) in 2018. He mainly tells people (accurately) that we're a bunch of irredeemable shitheads.

** Back in the day, when they were a lot more bullish about Garriot's chances, Portalarium set up seedinvest for Shroud of the Avatar. We took the piss quite a lot because Garriot is no Chris Roberts.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 2, 2019

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

quote:

Soon after CitizenCon, a programmer suggested that they make the switch to the Lumberyard Engine, which Amazon had unveiled soon after the release of CryEngine. The Lumberyard Engine was more realistic than CryEngine and was better suited to producing open spaces; CIG struggled to render the Nevada desert. The developers unanimously agreed to the change, which meant scrapping much of their work,[11] including significant changes CIG had made to CryEngine.[15]

In June 2014, 14 months after announcing that they would use CryEngine, CIG announced that they had switched to the Lumberyard Engine. Roberts said that Star Citizen would not be significantly delayed and would be back to where it was at CitizenCon within a month to six weeks. He also said that no content seen in the CitizenCon trailer would be lost.[16] However, according to programmer Chris Hargrove, the change amounted to a complete reboot.[11]

By the end of 2015, Star Citizen had missed several release dates and was largely unfinished; half the game's weapons remained concepts.[11] Roberts responded to criticisms of the lengthy development time as the price paid for developing complex modern games. A significant factor contributing to the protracted development was that Roberts was continually looking to add new elements. CIG employees would joke that they had to stop Roberts from seeing new video games, as he would want to include portions of it in Star Citizen.[11]

Later that year, Roberts decided to upgrade to a new version of the Lumberyard Engine designed for multiplayer. Employees recalled that Roberts did not have a plan for what the finished game would look like.[11] At the same time, Cloud Imperium was facing higher-than-expected losses and hired Bear Stearns to look into selling the company or merging it.[17] Later that year, Infogrames Entertainment announced it was purchasing a controlling interest in Cloud Imperium.[18] The publishing rights for Star Citizen passed to Gathering of Developers in early December 2016.[19]

To placate anxious fans, Roberts decided to create another trailer for CitizenCon 2017, the first public showing in three years.[13] The video showed a couple of minutes of game footage,[20] including a Las Vegas setting and a demonstration of the player interacting with a vending machine to buy a sandwich. The trailer impressed viewers and Star Citizen was the talk of the convention.[13] IGN reported on the game's graphics: "Characters come to life with picturesque facial animations that are synced perfectly with speech, hair that swings as they bob their heads, eyes that follow gazes, and more. The particle effects system, meanwhile, boasts impressive explosion effects with shimmering fire, shattered glass, and blood spilt in every direction ... Add in real-time lighting effects, interactive environments, and a variation in locales unequaled in any other first-person shooter and you begin to see and understand why Star Citizen has been one of the most hotly anticipated titles over the last couple of years."[20] Star Citizen looked as good or better than most games, and staff at CIG recalled a sense of elation after the presentation: "We were so far ahead of other people at the time." While many staff expected Roberts to make a push for finishing the game, he still did not have a finished product in mind.[13] Following the death of one of Gathering of Developers' co-founders and continuing financial problems, the publishers' Texas-based offices were shut down and absorbed into parent company Take-Two Interactive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_Duke_Nukem_Forever with the dates and engines adjusted.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Just pre-emptively here to point out we're not turning this into an AlexD helldump hello and thank you

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
Just to tag onto the 2020-being-the-year-of-potential-comeuppance chat, it would be somewhat poignant and probably fitting for Star Citizen to finally die just as long-time space nemesis Elite Dangerous gets its space legs working and becomes the game that Citizens actually thought they were getting all those years ago.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

TheAgent posted:

10% is from their valuation which can be entirely made up (this is how you get companies operating at crippling losses somehow "worth" half a billion dollars).

it looks to me that the $47m was more for like half of the company and it wouldn't surprise me if there's a "oops we didn't make you a shitload of money on time, here's the entire company" clause in there

This is what I wonder. As a venture capitalist or even a business angel, you want a ROI, usually in a 5 years timeline.

I can't believe any serious VC or BA would have invested in a project that missed every single ones of its milestones in 7 years of existence without some kind of guarantee.

So in my mind there's two possibilities, either they got guarantees that would make their investment still somehow profitable in case of failure, or they really invested in it like complete suckers, without them or experts doing their due diligence on CInotG's real situation before investing.

I've been trying to think of what they could get in case of the project's failure, all I could think of would be:
1. A useless IP that is now a worldwide joke.
2. A frankenengine that is not theirs anyway.
3. 5 video game studios.
4. Hypothetical: does CInotG own real estate on some of their studios?

I wonder if 47m $ is a decent price for owning 5 video game studios of mostly college graduates employees, with no shipped product. But maybe that's not a bad price. I really have no idea.
If they actually own real estate in Manchester, Santa Monica, Austin or Frankfurt, maybe that would add up.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 2, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Just pre-emptively here to point out we're not turning this into an AlexD helldump hello and thank you

I'm done.

Megalobster posted:

I can't believe any serious VC or BA would have invested in a project that missed every single ones of it's milestones in 7 years of existence without some kind of guarantees.

The Calders have a lawyer on the board. Educated speculation is that this;

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Is an expression of how close they are to finishing the thing that they needed the marketing cash for, which is around a years worth of expenses. So they want to wrap up Squadron 42 as the vertical slice to help create an actual revenue stream other than wishes and FOMO.

Hit 'Features' and note that they haven't actually updated to Q4, even though it ends in under two sprints.

Bear in mind that the roadmaps were there to create an impression of progress and accountability by surfacing the scrum boards *after a fashion*, but the way that they shuffle things around....well, it reminds me as to the reason why the Russian airforce is constantly restructuring; it makes it really hard to get an overall picture.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 2, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

skeletors_condom posted:

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1. Looks like UnknownTarget had the closest estimate if we assume that the time period ends at midnight Saturday in PST.

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

:colbert:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hav posted:

I'm done.

It's all good, just felt like heading that one off at the pass, so to speak.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

It's all good, just felt like heading that one off at the pass, so to speak.

You've got enough problems in this thread what with all the goons.

edit: 8 days off a decade of :justpost:ing.

Hav fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 2, 2019

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Megalobster posted:

4. Hypothetical: does CInotG own real estate on some of their studios?

I wonder if 47m $ is a decent price for owning 5 video game studios of mostly college graduates employees, with no shipped product. But maybe that's not a bad price. I really have no idea.
If they actually own real estate in Manchester, Santa Monica, Austin or Frankfurt, maybe that would add up.

They own no commercial real estate. "They" never would either.

If they were to own real estate, it would be in yet more shell companies/private investment vehicles with separate mortgages and they would charge some of the currently existing 14+ entities rent over and above the mortgage rates to syphon more cash out but they don't currently do this as far as we know.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Hav posted:

I'm done.

The Calders have a lawyer on the board. Educated speculation is that this;

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Is an expression of how close they are to finishing the thing that they needed the marketing cash for, which is around a years worth of expenses. So they want to wrap up Squadron 42 as the vertical slice to help create an actual revenue stream other than wishes and FOMO.

Hit 'Features' and note that they haven't actually updated to Q4, even though it ends in under two sprints.

Bear in mind that the roadmaps were there to create an impression of progress and accountability by surfacing the scrum boards *after a fashion*, but the way that they shuffle things around....well, it reminds me as to the reason why the Russian airforce is constantly restructuring; it makes it really hard to get an overall picture.

Yes. But I highly doubt that CInotG's own roadmap would have anything to do the with share purchasing agreement's milestones. I'd love to read it tbh.

shrach posted:

They own no commercial real estate. "They" never would either.

If they were to own real estate, it would be in yet more shell companies/private investment vehicles with separate mortgages and they would charge some of the currently existing 14+ entities rent over and above the mortgage rates to syphon more cash out but they don't currently do this as far as we know.

I see. So then the only thing we can be somewhat sure of are the 5 games studios. What kind of money can you extract/salvage from that?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Megalobster posted:

I see. So then the only thing we can be somewhat sure of are the 5 games studios. What kind of money can you extract/salvage from that?

They're only game studios in the sense that CIG calls them that. You've got a bunch of college grads who don't yet have the experience to work for an actual studio, and no usable code or product between them. I think at this point they're worth whatever Erin Roberts managed to cobble together. I can't imagine any company would take anything but a severe loss acquiring them. Better for them to dissolve entirely then rebuild from scratch - far, far cheaper, and you'd get better people.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Shiloh posted:

We had this over on the Elite Dangerous forums a while ago. I think it should be Idridēs (3rd declension from idris, idrid-) but there's an argument to be made that as it's actually a Welsh name (an example of which is the eponymous dragon who helped keep Ivor the Engine's boiler nice and hot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_the_Engine#Idris_the_Dragon and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ZMNyscPcg) the plural should be "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch".

Maybe resident CIG pretendy linguist Britton Watkins will have a view.

It's badly translated Xi'an you a’k.ēt’aongchui!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

To be fair the bar is really, really low for scripts in action games, SQ42 only needs to feel like a generic space action movie to be a serviceable device for the gameplay. There's tons of beloved games with dogshit plots and scripts unpopular opinion: Hideo Kojima is an overrated hack when it comes to writing.

Er, Kojima is an awful writer. It's the overall seriousness and presentation of his awful writing what makes it excellent.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Dec 3, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Megalobster posted:

Scrap value on desk, chairs and PCs that don't get half-inched on the way out.

At least one over-priced coffee maker.

Megalobster posted:

Yes. But I highly doubt that CInotG's own roadmap would have anything to do the with share purchasing agreement's milestones. I'd love to read it tbh.

We only have Roberts' word, the changes in directorship's from companies house and the sudden appearance of said set of boards to go on. The post-mortem for this whole thing is going to be fascinating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

They're only game studios in the sense that CIG calls them that. You've got a bunch of college grads who don't yet have the experience to work for an actual studio, and no usable code or product between them. I think at this point they're worth whatever Erin Roberts managed to cobble together. I can't imagine any company would take anything but a severe loss acquiring them. Better for them to dissolve entirely then rebuild from scratch - far, far cheaper, and you'd get better people.

As much as we make fun of the devs, the hilarity of their product can't really be attributed to them, but to the insane micromanagement, and management bordering on criminal incompetence.

They might actually be the only asset of real value in this mess. With some good restructuring and reshuffling mostly of the execs, you might actually have a fairly decent studio. Maybe not one that is gonna embark on the next AAA GOTYAY, but that could ship medium sized games that actually turns a profit. Focus interactive business model revolves around publishing such games from smaller studios and they are pretty successful at what they do.

Megalobster fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 3, 2019