Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Brown Moses posted:

I was literally planning to vote for my local labour candidate, and voted Labour in the last European and General elections.

You were? Who do you plan to vote for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe you should stop treating politics like a cult.

It’s not a cult, it’s just that when you finally find an actual honest politician with good achievable goals you sort of uh, want them to win, you know.

I mean have you loving seen stuff like hardcore Peronism? I think you either haven’t seen a real cult of personality political movement, or are being intellectually dishonest

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I'm sure that nobody is surprised that the Sun is a horrendous rag by now but I do worry that this message, as seen on its front page today, will resonate with its readers.

I have a lot of people from school still on my Facebook and a lot of 'Corbyn loves terrorists' poo poo gets thrown around in memes in those circles and I'm from a constituency that has been Labour since the early 1930s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Walton Simons posted:

I'm sure that nobody is surprised that the Sun is a horrendous rag by now but I do worry that this message, as seen on its front page today, will resonate with its readers.

I have a lot of people from school still on my Facebook and a lot of 'Corbyn loves terrorists' poo poo gets thrown around in memes in those circles and I'm from a constituency that has been Labour since the early 1930s.

They tried exactly the same thing last election and basically every day since he got elected, yes it works on some people, but I would suggest if you read and believe the sun you're probably not voting labour anyway given that they spend about half their time complaining about it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

They tried exactly the same thing last election and basically every day since he got elected, yes it works on some people, but I would suggest if you read and believe the sun you're probably not voting labour anyway given that they spend about half their time complaining about it.

Yeah I doubt that many people who have been swayed to Labour this time around will suddenly be turned off by the thousandth vitriolic headline in a row. They're preaching to their own choir now.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Miftan posted:

It implies it REALLY HEAVILY, dude. Also, why are Labour on the spotlight for this? Surely have the government on and say "are these fake? If yes, show us the real ones". This is the simplest loving journalism in the world.

As the article states they contacted the government and other relevant parties all of whom didn't respond.

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation, which posted false and modified documents. Now if this was the source of the documents, which could just have been as simple as an unawares individual finding the documents online via the accounts sharing them, then there's a realistic possiblity the documents could have been altered in someway, because that's the same pattern of behaviour seen before. The problem is, we don't know for sure, because the Labour party hasn't made a statement about the source of the documents, and the government and US have refused to comment on the authenticity of the documents.

If the documents are faked then it's the Labour party which is going to be the victim here, and if they did get the documents from the online sources described in the article it's a pretty good demonstration of why it's important for the media to report on Russian disinformation campaigns and highlight which accounts are involved so political parties don't get caught up in them.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
The problem with performative stupidity is that after a while it ceases to be performative

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

stev posted:

It would cover an entire third of the tuition fees that Jo and her mates decided students should be paying. If that doesn't bring them on board I don't know what will.

Well you see, now we have effectively only doubled tuition fees.

You're welcome :viggo:

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

"Politician says that leader of other party bad" is pretty weaksauce. Could they not find someone with MI5/MI6 connections to say it? Or is that one for next week?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

jabby posted:

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend watching it to anybody in this thread. I certainly didn't.

We already know things are poo poo, and the majority of us are already trying to make things better. Being shown exactly how poo poo things are yet again isn't going to make my hatred of the Tories burn any brighter or make me work any harder for a Labour government. It's just going to depress me.

Being constantly exposed to this sort of bad news is objectively bad for your mental health. The stories of these people desperately need to be told, but we're (largely) not the audience that needs to see it.

Fully agreed. I avoid things like that because they destroy me, and I don't need telling how bad things are. I already know, and it infuriates me. I'll help when I can, but I have to look out for my own health.

If you're already furious, you're already fighting for these people.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

stev posted:

Yeah I doubt that many people who have been swayed to Labour this time around will suddenly be turned off by the thousandth vitriolic headline in a row. They're preaching to their own choir now.

I mean the reminder is probably going to affect some people but yeah, I doubt there's a giant segment of people who will be suddenly converted by, as noted, boris johnson saying corbyn bad. The articles are there to keep people who already think that, thinking it right into the voting booth.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I remember hearing that Cummings was going to repeat his Vote Leave strategy of dedicating most campaign attacks and resources to the final few weeks so the last thing people hear is a negative line about Labour so prepare yourselves because this is quite likely only the beginning of their bullshit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Qwertycoatl posted:

"Politician says that leader of other party bad" is pretty weaksauce. Could they not find someone with MI5/MI6 connections to say it? Or is that one for next week?

Lol they're hiding in shame at the absolute monstering they got from McDonnell

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Brown Moses posted:

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation

Hmmm not exactly a smoking gun is it?

Which is unsurprising considering the documents are real.
A fact everyone is taking great pains not to dispute.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Walton Simons posted:

What kind of sentence is that? Corbyn is security risk. Really trying to whittle that phrase down to its bare minimum, blasting it through the pre-frontals right into that cobra brain.

NATO summit today in London, the orange boy is coming over (probably why they're smearing hard to counterbalance upcoming guffs belched out). Friday is another BBC debate, next monday is young people's QT, going to be fun seeing young Tories in action.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brown Moses posted:

As the article states they contacted the government and other relevant parties all of whom didn't respond.

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation, which posted false and modified documents. Now if this was the source of the documents, which could just have been as simple as an unawares individual finding the documents online via the accounts sharing them, then there's a realistic possiblity the documents could have been altered in someway, because that's the same pattern of behaviour seen before. The problem is, we don't know for sure, because the Labour party hasn't made a statement about the source of the documents, and the government and US have refused to comment on the authenticity of the documents.

If the documents are faked then it's the Labour party which is going to be the victim here, and if they did get the documents from the online sources described in the article it's a pretty good demonstration of why it's important for the media to report on Russian disinformation campaigns and highlight which accounts are involved so political parties don't get caught up in them.

Observe, dear reader, the seamless transition from "it doesn't say they're fake" to "it's actually good that it says they might be fake" this is what peak lubricated brain performance looks like.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am not surprised by this crazy scrutiny of everything Labour is doing and nothing of what tories et all are doing. The current American government and the CIA (plus CIA donated to 'organisations') definitely does not want Corbyn to be prime minister, especially as it makes it more acceptable for Sanders.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

where in that article does anyone claim the Tories wanting to sell of the NHS is a Russian lie?

lmao, well done

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Walton Simons posted:

It can be hard canvassing someone when they keep steering the conversation back to Daisy Lowe's tits but just keep trying to bring things back around to key policy announcements. Think of all the tits you could look at with free broadband, for example

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

They’ve made Jezza look like the devil, or at least a Breaking Bad character, which I get, but they’ve also made Boris look like a ghost, which seems like a gently caress up on their part.

+++POWERFUL CORBYN’S DEVIL ENERGY SLAYS FEEBLE JOHNSON

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VideoGames posted:

I am not surprised by this crazy scrutiny of everything Labour is doing and nothing of what tories et all are doing. The current American government and the CIA (plus CIA donated to 'organisations') definitely does not want Corbyn to be prime minister, especially as it makes it more acceptable for Sanders.

Conversely that's part of why I hope we can, I hope it'd be a boost for the sanders campaign and the american left if they can see us clawing back our futures.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation, which posted false and modified documents.

wink wink so they might be the same wink wink

there's a realistic possiblity the documents could have been altered in someway, because that's the same pattern of behaviour seen before.

wink wink so labour are faking it no need to worry about the NHS being sold off

Russia guys? Remember that Corbyn is a communist and loves Russia for... some reason?

The red scare dog whistle is so loud it’s interrupted the fifth canine international.

Edit: which is a shame because it’s been going really well so far, Comrade Goodest Boy has just been outlining the rejection of Stalinism in modern dog communism

lenoon fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 3, 2019

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

lenoon posted:

The red scare dog whistle is so loud it’s interrupted the fifth canine international.

You're projecting so hard you should work in a cinema.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Brown Moses posted:

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation,

The evidence for this is that it was posted on Reddit and had spelling mistakes. That's it. And based on that the entire media class (which now includes you whether you like it or not) are using it in an attempt to make it easier for billionaires to get richer at the expense of the poorest.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

I have often thought it would be a fun job

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Walton Simons posted:

If you get this argument in the wild the simple counter is 'more or less of a risk than abandoning his security to get shitfaced with Russian billionaires whilst foreign secretary'

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jul/26/boris-johnson-security-evgeny-lebedev-perugia-party

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Moses votes for 30 more years in the Tory desert

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is literally the entire article.

quote:

(Reuters) - The leak and distribution of classified British-U.S. trade documents online resembles a disinformation campaign uncovered this year that originated in Russia, according to experts who say it could signal foreign interference in Britain's election.

The opposition Labour Party said on Nov. 27 the classified documents, which first appeared online on Oct. 21, showed the ruling Conservatives were plotting to offer up the state-run National Health Service for sale in trade talks with Washington. The NHS is much loved by Britons and has become an important issue in the Dec. 12 election, in which Labour trails the Conservatives despite cutting its lead in some opinion polls.

Researchers at Britain's Oxford and Cardiff universities, the Atlantic Council thinktank and social media analytics firm Graphika said the way the documents were first shared online mirrored a campaign called Secondary Infektion. Secondary Infektion uncovered by the Atlantic Council in June, used fabricated or altered documents to try to spread false narratives across at least 30 online platforms, and stemmed from a network of social media accounts which Facebook said "originated in Russia."

"It's on the same set of websites (as Secondary Infektion), it's using the same types of accounts and making the same language errors. It's either the Russian operation or someone trying hard to look like it," said Ben Nimmo, head of investigations at Graphika.

Reuters has been unable to verify whether the documents are genuine. Labour and the British government declined immediate comment. In Washington, the U.S. Trade Representative did not respond to requests for comment. It is not clear who was behind either operation and cyber experts say it is hard to attribute malicious actions online with certainty. Moscow has denied allegations of election meddling and the Kremlin did not immediately respond to a request for comment. "Whoever did this ... was absolutely trying to keep it a secret," said Graham Brookie, director of the Atlantic Council's Digital Forensic Research Lab. "It carries the spectre of foreign influence."

"SOWING CONFUSION"

A link to download documents with the same content and metadata as the documents released by Labour was first shared on Internet discussion site Reddit by a user who made language errors typical of non-native English speakers. A person with the same username and profile picture copied the Reddit post to a website known for hosting conspiracy theories, and a Twitter account with the same name and profile picture then tweeted the link to journalists and politicians. Another account simultaneously shared links to the Reddit post on three German-language blogging websites. The researchers interviewed by Reuters said the websites used to put the information online, Twitter activity and language errors all resembled the Secondary Infektion campaign.

Lisa-Maria Neudert, a researcher at Oxford University's Project on Computational Propaganda, said if Russia was behind the leak, its aim may not have been to help any particular side in the election.

"We know from the Russian playbook that often it is not for or against anything," she said. "It's about sowing confusion, and destroying the field of political trust."

Reuters has been unable to establish how the Reddit user or Labour acquired the unredacted documents. The Reddit user did not respond to written questions and the Twitter account was suspended last week.

A Reddit spokeswoman said: "The integrity of our site is of paramount importance and we are investigating these findings."

Twitter said it was unable to comment on individual accounts for privacy and security reasons but that it aggressively enforces its own rules barring "spammy content" on its service. Facebook declined comment.

It's literally saying that "posting on reddit and twitter with spelling mistakes" means you resemble a russian psyops campaign.

Oh and not responding to someone @ing you saying "I'm a journalist tell me how you found all this"

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

Brown Moses posted:

Also, where in that article does anyone claim the Tories wanting to sell of the NHS is a Russian lie?

hmm, a language error typical of a non-native English speaker, has even Brown Moses been compromised by Secondary Infektion??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Brown Moses posted:

If you are not going to reply to my post about asking if you are going to vote lib dem, it would be nice to respond to this one:

jaete posted:

You were? Who do you plan to vote for now?

because it honestly seems you are now part of the establishment which means American state department funding and republicanism/torism and 'acceptable' torism here is Lib Dem. I mean, it is weird how you have a journalistic organisation that is supposed to be exposing stuff, but instead on working on say the Russia Report that the tories have, you would prefer to go along with Tories about the NHS documents.

Very weird.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Wait I wasn’t projecting at all, the images really were moving on the screen! It’s a miracle! Alfredo! Alfredo!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you respond to our thread investigative expert on why you're voting lib dem I'm going to have to assume you're a russian bot.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I gently caress up while phone post so much that Brown Moses thinks I'm the head of the FSB

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The "Vote For Policies" thing is back again, I got a red/green split with one Lib Dem policy area in there too *spits*

Busy reminding people to vote tacticoolly to get/keep the Tories out in their area. Vote with smarts as well as hearts.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I know now why Jose rips on BM

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

mila kunis posted:

Wrap it up, Corbyn's a ruskie and the Tories wanting to sell off the NHS is a russian lie

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1201566025067708417

This poo poo's being boosted by goon hero Brown Moses of all people

My recent leak of poo poo resembled my recent leak of piss, experts say. The leak and distribution of the former suspiciously bears all the hallmarks of the latter. They both begin with me adjusting my clothing and touching myself, and I was as surprised as anyone when stuff came out of the wrong hole.

I've got the poop scoop!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe you should stop treating politics like a cult.

You not got a coup in Bolivia to apologise for?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
lolllllll brown moses is a lib dem of course

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

sebzilla posted:

The "Vote For Policies" thing is back again, I got a red/green split with one Lib Dem policy area in there too *spits*

Busy reminding people to vote tacticoolly to get/keep the Tories out in their area. Vote with smarts as well as hearts.

Eh everything is so high stakes and messy that unless the Labour vote was 1/10th of the Tory vote or so last time I'd still bang the Vote Labour drum. The Liberals will betray us so they need to be given as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'd rather have my misinformation campaigns be American and proper, not like these bad Russian misinformation campaigns that actually give out information.