Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still maintain that Gawker wouldn’t have been hosed so bad if AJ Daulerio was a normal human and not a massive condescending piece of poo poo.
As far as the deposition/"four year old" comment or more generally?

Nobody ever had any hope of or illusions about Gawker winning at trial, especially after they got a taste of what was in store from the judge. This has never really been in question. Do I think it's possible that the jury would have awarded more manageable, non-bankruptcy-inducing damages without that comment in the deposition? I...don't know. The weird bullshit Florida bond law was capped at $50 million, so it would have had to have been *well* below that, and the jury showed a clear willingness to award damages completely out of line with reality regardless, so...maybe not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This has to be Jerry McDevitt, right?

quote:

I heard one guy say, “I’m an attorney for Titan Sports.” I was like, “That’s funny. The last time I met you in Linda McMahon’s office, you weren’t an attorney. You were a public relations person, but now it turns out you’re an attorney. You people are something else.”

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Have had lunch with Peter Thiel, can confirm he is as weird and bad as you think, in a just world Gawker is still alive, Hulk Hogan is the worst.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jerry Lawler is an aggressively disgusting human being and WWE putting him back on TV in 2019 is low-key the most tone-deaf decision they've made all year

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

MassRafTer posted:

In '93? I doubt it. Probably a staff lawyer or a K&L Gates associate, one would think?

The entire Titangate period—but especially the ring boy scandal and Bergman stuff—are an onion of information even just based on what was published and in the public record. Even in the Observer and Torch, there's so much stuff that nobody remembers or included in retrospectives, not to mention newsletters not available online, newspaper and magazine articles (some easier to find than others), etc. FFS, who ever brought up what Vince said to Meltzer and Mushnick about firing/rehiring Phillips until I mentioned it to you and started bringing it up here during the first NY64? (Dave's own handling of the story is a separate matter and probably contributed, but that it wasn't or big headline for some reason or in the TV shows about the scandals probably didn't help its staying power. Although I don't get why, if it was on the record, Phil and Dave said nothing about this until Phil's column that he wrote after the Donahue and Larry King shows?)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Feel like Brevetti would have more of a chance if this wasn't the first time I've heard of her. I've known Lawler to be a piece of poo poo for 20 years now, there's no way I can vote against that for someone I've only just heard about.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CarlCX posted:

Have had lunch with Peter Thiel, can confirm he is as weird and bad as you think

How much of your precious blood did he get before you escaped? :ohdear:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

I really should have known the direction the last sentence of that quote would take when I read the first half of the quote and was like "huh, this isn't that bad"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

davidbix posted:

As far as the deposition/"four year old" comment or more generally?

Nobody ever had any hope of or illusions about Gawker winning at trial, especially after they got a taste of what was in store from the judge. This has never really been in question. Do I think it's possible that the jury would have awarded more manageable, non-bankruptcy-inducing damages without that comment in the deposition? I...don't know. The weird bullshit Florida bond law was capped at $50 million, so it would have had to have been *well* below that, and the jury showed a clear willingness to award damages completely out of line with reality regardless, so...maybe not?

I just meant they wouldn’t have been ratfucked so hard IMO. Him being such a massive loving rear end in a top hat seemed like it turned things from “okay you guys were in the wrong” to “the world would be better off without this existing”

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

CarlCX posted:

Have had lunch with Peter Thiel, can confirm he is as weird and bad as you think, in a just world Gawker is still alive, Hulk Hogan is the worst.

Why didn't you stab him in the throat?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Don't you have to stake vampires through the heart or is that some weird thing an author added to increase the tension of scene.

100% should have thrown a bag full of rice at his feet though.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
At least order some garlic to keep him away.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God I wish vampires being OCD about having to count things was more firmly entrenched in the public consciousness so we could have more of it in movies. Or put in a nice water feature outside your house since they can't pass through running water.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
good god this is depressing

well done

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

Jerusalem posted:

God I wish vampires being OCD about having to count things was more firmly entrenched in the public consciousness so we could have more of it in movies. Or put in a nice water feature outside your house since they can't pass through running water.

I liked Let The Right One In for adding to the mythos that vampires just really loving love puzzles.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

I liked Let The Right One In for adding to the mythos that vampires just really loving love puzzles.

That movie is so good (also deeply disturbing if you view the vampire as a predator exploiting a kid, which I do, despite the author of the book's protests), I couldn't bring myself to watch the American version because I loved the original so much.

To get back on subject, gently caress Hulk Hogan (wait that's what caused the problems in the first place!)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hogan and HHH strike a particular nerve in me. Guys not secure enough in their own talent that they had to backstab and take the most lovely petty path to keep other people down. It's low on the tier of being a monster outside of other things but I despise it.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Super No Vacancy posted:

one might make the equally meaningless observation that they wouldnt have been hosed so bad if peter thiel was a normal human being and not a massive piece of poo poo

Please, it's insulting to massive pieces of poo poo to compare them to Peter Thiel, Libertarian Vampire.

Pinche Rudo posted:

I don't think that would've done anything unless they were having Chinese (so you'd have access to wood for the stake) and even then you gotta get him in the heart :v:

Jerusalem posted:

God I wish vampires being OCD about having to count things was more firmly entrenched in the public consciousness so we could have more of it in movies.

When I found out that this was why Count von Count was, well, obsessed with counting, it blew my mind.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 3, 2019

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sportsgenius86 posted:

I still maintain that Gawker wouldn’t have been hosed so bad if AJ Daulerio was a normal human and not a massive condescending piece of poo poo.

I always feel like it’s worth noting that the Thiel/Hogan operation set a terrible precedent for rich people being able to take down organizations out of pure spite, and at the same time Gawker was a terrible company ran by terrible people that no one should mourn the passing of

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Pinche Rudo posted:

It was 2007, which meant I only knew he was your regular rich libertarian rear end in a top hat as opposed to actively demonic and I was much more of a socially anxious coward. Four years later Rupert Murdoch came to our work and my coworkers assigned themselves in shifts to make sure I didn't go strangle him.

Anyway, pardon the derail.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

CarlCX posted:

It was 2007, which meant I only knew he was your regular rich libertarian rear end in a top hat as opposed to actively demonic and I was much more of a socially anxious coward. Four years later Rupert Murdoch came to our work and my coworkers assigned themselves in shifts to make sure I didn't go strangle him.

Anyway, pardon the derail.

They were looking out for you. I'm pretty sure you would have burnt your hands on his neck.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

McDevitt's one of those lawyers you hire and shoot afterwards. He's like the dark souls of lawyers.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/NY64Tournament/status/1201917650785447938

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I would have gone with HBK easily if it wasn't for all the poo poo Marty decided to share over the last year or two.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Shawn's an rear end in a top hat

Marty I think has legit problems he refuses to get taken care of.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

marty has CTE and more

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The part about Hogan being willing to lose the second match in the feud with Shawn sounds like complete bullshit. But his reasoning for not being willing to lose the first is valid as gently caress.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

The part about Hogan being willing to lose the second match in the feud with Shawn sounds like complete bullshit. But his reasoning for not being willing to lose the first is valid as gently caress.

Comes from an old Dave post on the board. I can believe Hogan would have pulled the same trick. Both knew why it was important to win the first.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

TheKingslayer posted:

It was an excuse to get hogan and shawn in the ring at the same time. there was no reason to make it into a program because both guys are super physically limited. Just one happens to be really good at working within those limitations.

talking about "well gee we had this big program lined up" is just rose tinted memories. It was a one and done deal and that's all we got.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm just glad Hogan had his moment of losing to Brock and never getting the win back and Shawn had to suck it up for Hogan later. Watching those two eat poo poo like that is great.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Whenever a coin flip one like this turns up I vote for the guy who makes me feel more anger than pity so I guess Shawn wins.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
My favourite part of that Jannetty plane story is when the entire aircraft got up to applaud them at the end. That's funnier than the 100,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs to me, and I don't even really care if he didn't exactly phrase it that way, I have my own truth now.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just remembered a couple years ago when Dave said on the podcast that you never want to be the Jannetty in a tag breakup and Marty got upset about it on social media.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

They're both fuckin' bad, but Janetty is the only one who seems to have never actually stopped being That Guy, if his various posts about daughter-loving and cocaine are any indication.

Then again, Janetty has never participated in propaganda for Saudi Arabia.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

CarlCX posted:

Then again, Janetty has never participated in propaganda for Saudi Arabia.

To be fair it's probably because he's never had the chance.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Marty goes to SA, decides that loving a king's daughter is cooler than loving his own daughter. Marty is never seen again. No one bothers looking.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shawn because he didn't become less of a dick when he found god. Shawn's just unapologetic dickishness really pushes him over the line for me.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

TheKingslayer posted:

To be fair it's probably because he's never had the chance.

This is probably what swung it for me tbh. It was really close but HBK was in a better position to be awful and from what I've read he took good advantage of it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Shawn and Hogan to me are really close in their bullshit in that both guys want you to think that they're actually super cool with God and nice while not actually living a bit of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Voted Marty but it was everything short of a coin flip. At the end of the day I feel like there are more receipts for Marty's particularly heinous bullshit, which is about all I can come up with. I don't doubt that we only know a small portion of what Shawn's done throughout his career but without knowing details it's hard to say I guess?

This is definitely the toughest one yet. Kudos on the impressive seeding of these matches, both in the terms of parity and "doing cool things like pitting tag team partners against each other" department.

("parity" feels like a bad word when talking about "who's the biggest monster" but I don't have anything better)