Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also how do I get a position at oxford making GBS threads out such hot takes as that? Boys I can put out some nuclear fuckin takes though I can clearly see you've got some pretty decent producers yourself already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

As the article states they contacted the government and other relevant parties all of whom didn't respond.

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation, which posted false and modified documents. Now if this was the source of the documents, which could just have been as simple as an unawares individual finding the documents online via the accounts sharing them, then there's a realistic possiblity the documents could have been altered in someway, because that's the same pattern of behaviour seen before. The problem is, we don't know for sure, because the Labour party hasn't made a statement about the source of the documents, and the government and US have refused to comment on the authenticity of the documents.

If the documents are faked then it's the Labour party which is going to be the victim here, and if they did get the documents from the online sources described in the article it's a pretty good demonstration of why it's important for the media to report on Russian disinformation campaigns and highlight which accounts are involved so political parties don't get caught up in them.

If the documents are fake then it would only be in the government and the US' interest to come out saying as such and the fact that they haven't lends credibility to the leaked documents.
For all your bleating about disinformation, you have yet to provide factual proof that these documents are fake so either put up or shut up.
The fact that you are funded by the US makes all your shittalking on this an actual disinformation campaign from a foreign power meddling in the UK election.
I would even go so far as to suggest that Russia has no interest in seeing Labour making strong gains in this election and would prefer to see a Tory majority government thus making a Russian disinformation campaign in Labour's favour nonsensical.

chestnut santabag fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Dec 3, 2019

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The evidence for this is that it was posted on Reddit and had spelling mistakes. That's it. And based on that the entire media class (which now includes you whether you like it or not) are using it in an attempt to make it easier for billionaires to get richer at the expense of the poorest.

I feel like this is an editorial question more than anything else: the substance of what the article's saying is fine. It's a good idea for people to be doing research into the topic, but writing articles based on ambiguous research which are bound to be weaponised against one party is dubious.

Basically the article is clickbait and shouldn't really be published by a major news organisation around an election, but the research backing it sounds useful and important. Hopefully Leveson 2 sorts this sort of thing out and reduces the tendency of journalists to write ill conceived clickbait.

E: Hopefully there can also be more financial incentives for in depth and considered journalism rather than zingers fuelled by advertising dollars. Ideally we could reform the press to make it a public service institution rather than one driven by market forces: the separation of advertising and editorial has just broken down in the Internet era.

Purple Prince fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 3, 2019

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Brown Moses posted:

You're projecting so hard you should work in a cinema.

are you THIS accostomed to having people digest your ideas uncritically? this is genuinely pathetic - is your usual audience some sort of seal trained to clap

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Jedit posted:

Well, gently caress me with a Toblerone.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032

John Redwood's seat has shifted from ultra-safe to CON/LD marginal.

E: and the LD candidate is ex-Tory Philip Lee.

If only the Tories had profiled Wokingham man too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh no coolcab's been replaced by a russian agent.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

I think I've found the purest expression of LibDemmery and Brexit hivemind:

https://twitter.com/fbpe_jojo77/status/1201691138828177408?s=20

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Junior G-man posted:

i like that in the lib dem fantasy they are the opposition because they can literally not imagine being in power.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Junior G-man posted:

Her greatest Christmas wish is that her own party is still in opposition, lol. Even piss diamonds recognise that a Jo; is as electable as a dead squirrel.

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Might as well transplant this callout:

Taintrunner posted:

https://twitter.com/kthalps/status/1201641626441007104

lol can someone perma brown moses for being a loving psychopath

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Eliot Higgins is trying to do a career assassination on Katie Halper by snitching on her to Rolling Stone, for saying that his network is trying to do character assassinations on anyone who is antiwar.

Eliot Higgins is the founder of Bellingcat, and former Something Awful forums mod Brown Moses.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Junior G-man posted:

Dear Fubpee,

I'm not real and this is somehow more fantastical than I am. Also, no.

Santa Klaus

ps. You're getting coal.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Junior G-man posted:

SENSIBLE, the boring cousin of COMMON SENSE

Other countries have 'common sense' but its used more as knowledge of society passed down, whilst in this country its used more as an occam's razor to ignore a complex subject and go for the dumbest solution.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lib dems are political edgers, literally can never be brought to climax.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Brown Moses posted:

Maybe you should stop treating politics like a cult.

You can find your nearest skip and dive head first in because this is absolute trash. It's not a cult, it is quite literally a matter of life and death. The only reason I support Jeremy Corbyn is because he's the leader of a political party with a manifesto which will materially improve my conditions and those of millions more. Dismissing it as a cult is cretinous.

Pretending to be above it all doesn't make you seem smart, at best it makes you seem to have a callous disregard for the people harmed by all these years of austerity. At worst it makes you come across as in favour of the worst excesses of the Tories. You'd not be the first person from a family who'd been hosed by Tory governments to decide it's better to join the fucker than be the hosed.

Like, okay, the document was leaked by the perfidious Eastern Slav. Why does it matter? Why is it, as Reuters claimed, disinformation? Can you see why the use of the word disinformation is an implied impinging the truth of the document? Can you see why the source doesn't actually matter, if Daniel Ellsberg had released the Pentagon Papers because he was a Soviet asset that doesn't make it a bad thing the documents have come to light.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no coolcab's been replaced by a russian agent.

don't you know, I disagree with trump, therefore via the transitive property anyone who disagrees with me must be trump. I'm an adult and am paid handsomely by the CIA to have these adult ideas

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

CoolCab posted:

are you THIS accostomed to having people digest your ideas uncritically? this is genuinely pathetic - is your usual audience some sort of seal trained to clap

Seriously. Melting down like that when confronted with the most basic media/critical analysis is weird

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

journalism is when the CIA pays you to post stuff they found out.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
There is a cult....

It's called crisp chat

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jedit posted:

Well, gently caress me with a Toblerone.

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1192187159324844032

John Redwood's seat has shifted from ultra-safe to CON/LD marginal.

E: and the LD candidate is ex-Tory Philip Lee.

It's a month old, but why is this election so confusing.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Grey Hunter posted:

It's a month old, but why is this election so confusing.

That's got to be one of those "imagine only the tories and lib dems can win in your constituency" polls right?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Like, okay, the document was leaked by the perfidious Eastern Slav. Why does it matter? Why is it, as Reuters claimed, disinformation? Can you see why the use of the word disinformation is an implied impinging the truth of the document? Can you see why the source doesn't actually matter, if Daniel Ellsberg had released the Pentagon Papers because he was a Soviet asset that doesn't make it a bad thing the documents have come to light.

Because the next time the content might be altered or fake which can backfire massively. Doesn't matter for the general public and the article is garbage clickbait but it absolutely matters for Labour.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Junior G-man posted:

"Smellies" to mean perfume is up there with "hollybobs", "bimbling", and "nummies" in ability to trigger a mental gag reflex.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CoolCab posted:

BM and his fellow "experts", such as the luminaries who are trying to cast doubt on those documents, make their money by creating a narrative where literally everything must be assumed to be a Russian plot. They do this because the resulting mass hysteria keeps them on the gravy train with minimum effort on their part, since their audience might as well consist of seals trained to clap and will never question this poo poo no matter how ludicrous it gets.

Incidentally this is also why BM never ever actually addresses any kind of criticism towards him or his spook organization and instead immediately lashes out with insults, because he knows that this poo poo will not stand up to real scrutiny and the grift must be protected.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ash Crimson posted:

There is a cult....

It's called crisp chat

I was going to look through the last 2 threads to see how much crisp chat there was but instead asked 3 other posters then made the correct weighting.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

BM and his fellow "experts", such as the luminaries who are trying to cast doubt on those documents, make their money by creating a narrative where literally everything must be assumed to be a Russian plot. They do this because the resulting mass hysteria keeps them on the gravy train with minimum effort on their part.

Incidentally this is also why BM never ever actually addresses any kind of criticism towards him or his spook organization and instead immediately lashes out with insults, because he knows that this poo poo will not stand up to real scrutiny and the grift must be protected.

I feel like the Russia hysteria is pretty dangerous because Russia almost certainly is loving the West but the level of insanity BM and co have over it does a lot to discredit even the actually credible claims.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JevH1eZF75w

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I didn't watch it, but I can imagine.
So many kids do not have a settled life to do homework, study, use a computer. Let alone being cold and malnourished doesn't exactly help intellectual activity.

Paulo Freire posted:

I didn't understand anything because of my hunger. I wasn't dumb. It wasn't lack of interest. My social condition didn't allow me to have an education. Experience showed me once again the relationship between social class and knowledge.

justcola posted:

SENSIBLE, the boring cousin of COMMON SENSE

Other countries have 'common sense' but its used more as knowledge of society passed down, whilst in this country its used more as an occam's razor to ignore a complex subject and go for the dumbest solution.
Fairly sure that's common across most of the Anglosphere at least, wherever analysis needs substituting with reactionary nonsense.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

BM and his fellow "experts", such as the luminaries who are trying to cast doubt on those documents, make their money by creating a narrative where literally everything must be assumed to be a Russian plot. They do this because the resulting mass hysteria keeps them on the gravy train with minimum effort on their part, since their audience might as well consist of seals trained to clap and will never question this poo poo no matter how ludicrous it gets.

I'd be careful with this one since it's pretty much the Russia Today line on anything to do with election interference.

The journalism is trash, but the direct quotes from academics are a lot more moderate - saying the document's release on Reddit follows similar trends to those of Russian disinformation drops is not the same as claiming that the document itself is fake or must be a result of disinformation. The article spins it this way, but the academic evidence is very much "somewhat suggestive, but who knows?" Especially if we don't know if Labour's source is Reddit or a Whitehall leak.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Archaeology Hat posted:

I feel like the Russia hysteria is pretty dangerous because Russia almost certainly is loving the West but the level of insanity BM and co have over it does a lot to discredit even the actually credible claims.

Russia hysteria is a million times more dangerous than any Russian interference because its primary function is to act as an excuse for garbage liberals to never address their own failures, and as such it's a bigger boon to the far right than any amount of Russian support could ever be.

Purple Prince posted:

I'd be careful with this one since it's pretty much the Russia Today line on anything to do with election interference.

The journalism is trash, but the direct quotes from academics are a lot more moderate - saying the document's release on Reddit follows similar trends to those of Russian disinformation drops is not the same as claiming that the document itself is fake or must be a result of disinformation. The article spins it this way, but the academic evidence is very much "somewhat suggestive, but who knows?" Especially if we don't know if Labour's source is Reddit or a Whitehall leak.

BM and his ilk are very much not academics, though. They're propagandist hacks.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

justcola posted:

I was going to look through the last 2 threads to see how much crisp chat there was but instead asked 3 other posters then made the correct weighting.

Huh this actually tracks.

Archaeology Hat posted:

Great or otherwise involved political powers gently caress with each other's elections/political process, it's a fact of global politics. Whether its public calls of friendship/condemnation for a leader, secret phonecalls to bolster one side or another (Thanks Obama!), outright political threats or actual intelligence operations it all happens. It's just insane to act as if it's normal and okay for one side (the side writing the cheques usually) and deeply suspicious for anyone else to get a look in while also claiming to be independent.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
The irony is that the use of the word “disinformation” in that article makes the article itself more of an example of disinformation that the NHS trade papers leak.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Guavanaut posted:

Fairly sure that's common across most of the Anglosphere at least, wherever analysis needs substituting with reactionary nonsense.

I may be wrong as half remembering from a book on art criticism - but the Italian's meaning for common sense is more based on folk knowledge (or 'good sense', buon senso), whilst ours is more based around articles Jeremy Clarkson write.

I think it's interesting how the same phrase can mean slightly different things in other languages, but I know very little about other languages to really appreciate it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I just checked wikipedia and what I discovered was shocking:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

CoolCab posted:

are you THIS accostomed to having people digest your ideas uncritically? this is genuinely pathetic - is your usual audience some sort of Navy Seal trained to clap

FTFY

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

yes lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKsECGQvoY&t=2205s

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Brown Moses posted:

As the article states they contacted the government and other relevant parties all of whom didn't respond.

The article states the source of the documents posted by Labour appears to be the same as the documents posted by the accounts associated with the earlier Russian disinformation, which posted false and modified documents. Now if this was the source of the documents, which could just have been as simple as an unawares individual finding the documents online via the accounts sharing them, then there's a realistic possiblity the documents could have been altered in someway, because that's the same pattern of behaviour seen before. The problem is, we don't know for sure, because the Labour party hasn't made a statement about the source of the documents, and the government and US have refused to comment on the authenticity of the documents.

If the documents are faked then it's the Labour party which is going to be the victim here, and if they did get the documents from the online sources described in the article it's a pretty good demonstration of why it's important for the media to report on Russian disinformation campaigns and highlight which accounts are involved so political parties don't get caught up in them.

Oh my loving god, are you really defending this article? I didn't have an opinion on you before, except that I thought your initial investigative journalism was impressive and valuable, but it's clear that you are just an absolute hack. Trying to pretend that this contentless smear has any value is pathetic, and so is the tantrum that you've thrown in this thread. Maybe you were once a credible journalist, but all I've seen today is a Pissflaps with pretensions. Log off, get some sleep and then look in a loving mirror, for gently caress's sake.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Brown Moses was interviewed on BBC News the other week, and was perfectly fine, I assume.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vlex posted:

From last page, but do you think it would be possible to do something gently caress-y like publish photos to a repository under a CC-BY licence (public domain, free reuse) in a personal capacity and then just cite them in party communications?

I know it's a little "technically correct, the best kind of correct", but it's a trick I learnt for academic publishing purposes that so far hasn't backfired.

I don't know. Not something I would want to risk.
I know our Press Officer has some kind of bank of photos that are safe to use.

OwlFancier posted:

They tried exactly the same thing last election and basically every day since he got elected, yes it works on some people, but I would suggest if you read and believe the sun you're probably not voting labour anyway given that they spend about half their time complaining about it.

The weird thing is, definitely about 20-40 years or so ago, even though the Sun has always been a tory rag (except I think it briefly supported Blair without googling to check), Sun readers thought it was a Labour paper (including one of my nans who always voted tory). I wouldn't be surprised if that's still true.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

VideoGames posted:

I just checked wikipedia and what I discovered was shocking:

That was obviously written by RUSSIANS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

edit: duplicate