Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
During the entire trap door scene, I was thinking, "Laurie used to be a costumed adventurer, why is she just sitting there while someone points a remote control at her and smugly clicks the button? Repeatedly? And the third time, there was that little jolt but it still didn't drop?"

Sadly it appears the reason was "because she has to get captured."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

gotta be honest, I rolled my eyes at the "can you imagine that power in the hands of white supremacy" line. does that make me racist

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Martman posted:

It's just a bunch of stuff happening... when is the stuff going to happen??

I mean is it? the main plot is barely moving forward. Our characters already know the reveals. Laurie gets captured and says she doesn’t give a poo poo and already knows the plan but then asks for the plan anyway so we can find out. It’s just lazy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

romanowski posted:

gotta be honest, I rolled my eyes at the "can you imagine that power in the hands of white supremacy" line. does that make me racist

No! That was a poo poo line!!!

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

also thought juxtaposing that vietnam attack with the KKK tulsa massacre was um questionable

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Mirage posted:

During the entire trap door scene, I was thinking, "Laurie used to be a costumed adventurer, why is she just sitting there while someone points a remote control at her and smugly clicks the button? Repeatedly? And the third time, there was that little jolt but it still didn't drop?"

Sadly it appears the reason was "because she has to get captured."

A lot of what Laurie does in this seems to be informed by her regret of not being able to stop Adrian. There's the fact she's a lot more willing to just shoot dudes, and here we have Keene just being a dipshit republic serial villain, telling her the plan before it's put in place.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Memory is fuzzy, but in episode 2 didn't Angela say to cal, "[Will] says he's Dr Manhattan" and in the conversation with Cal, one of them says "Could Dr Manhattan change his skin color?" or something?

Maybe I'm imagining it

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Cal definitely mentions something about Dr. Manhattan taking on human form, I think he specifically says he can't take on human form, so anyway that was when I knew

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just finished the latest episode, that ending was pretty cool. Didn't see it coming and I'm glad I've learnt my lesson watching previous mystery box shows and avoided this thread and any online theories up to now.

Not that bothered about the fact that Dr Manhattan ends up with the Granddaughter of Hooded Justice either. I think Will is the key there. Clearly him being Cal isn't a secret known only to Angela and I imagine Will was the one who told Trieu, how he knows I have no idea but I guess we'll find out if that's the case. Will is like him in a way, a former superhero who gave it all up and abandoned everyone and perhaps the Doctor seeks him out upon returning (maybe whilst he was still active in the 80s Will went to him). Maybe Will describes his past, how he survived Tulsa, donned the hood, had a child that led to Angela who survived losing all she loved (an indirect result of his interference in Vietnam) and yet still grew up as someone who wants to help people by becoming a policewoman. It's that sort of "miracle" of improbable chances that has Dr.M choose to save humanity in the first place. Will knows she's in Vietnam but won't see her for whatever reason but Dr.M is drawn to her. Her being all alone in the world probably resonates with him, he's clearly lonely if he has returned to Earth.

Also Vietnam as it stands in the Watchmen universe is essentially a creation of his making. It makes sense that on his return he'd visit there to witness the results of him winning the war, how his destruction bore fruit. And all of those actions lead to Angela.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

romanowski posted:

Cal definitely mentions something about Dr. Manhattan taking on human form, I think he specifically says he can't take on human form, so anyway that was when I knew

Not sure if Cal does but Will suggests to Angela he's Dr Manhattan when she has him locked up and Angela says he can't take on human form.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Just Chamber posted:

Not sure if Cal does but Will suggests to Angela he's Dr Manhattan when she has him locked up and Angela says he can't take on human form.

She says "he lives on loving Mars" to Will, but in a later scene, she's talking to Cal about Will and mentions that Will claimed to be Dr Manhattan disguised as another person

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

She says "he lives on loving Mars" to Will, but in a later scene, she's talking to Cal about Will and mentions that Will claimed to be Dr Manhattan disguised as another person

Ah I don't remember the Cal scene at all. Rewatched the Will scene though ( https://youtu.be/7NjjxbPm6oY ) and she says to him there that he can't take on human form which Will disagrees with, probably hinting that he knows the truth.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Interesting thoughts Just Chamber, I’d love to see something along those lines go down, it connects a lot of loose threads if Will and Manhattan have some sort of relationship. Maybe Will tried to get him to help bring down Cyclops. He clearly seems to know that Cal is Manhattan, looking back now at that conversation with Angela it’s thick with “I know, and I know that you know, and we are both going to play dumb.”

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Lol, so ep 7 is diving deep into goo goo ga ga nonsense territory, whatevs. After 5 and 6 I thought it might go in a sensible direction, but now I'm just checked out completely. It's dumb as hell.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

The REAL Goobusters posted:

All I see is a bad show with poorly written characters, a confusing plot and a bunch of mysteries.

Don’t sign your posts.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

romanowski posted:

also thought juxtaposing that vietnam attack with the KKK tulsa massacre was um questionable

I thought it was signifying the emotional trauma kid Angela went trough was similar to the trauma kid Will went through, and as both memories are now in the same brain, she connects them in her mind.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Bernstrike posted:

Don’t sign your posts.

I’m signing them

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I just thought there might be a thread for this show and come to find people don't like it?

*farts*

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Chadzok posted:

I think they're using elephants just because of the raw brain size. Kept sedated, used as storage for traumatic memories of either key individuals or just as many people as possible, then hijack the 7th cav broadcast and give them and everyone the broadcast reaches (all of America) a super dosage of empathy.

Yeah I figured it has to do with elephants and their incredible memories. Kind of using their brain as a hard drive to store someone's memories.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

LookingGodIntheEye posted:

The elephant is Watchmen's polar bear.

I'm assuming since they use horses to make snake anti venom, they use Elephants to make memory anti venom, you know coz elephants never forget.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Chadzok posted:

Interesting thoughts Just Chamber, I’d love to see something along those lines go down, it connects a lot of loose threads if Will and Manhattan have some sort of relationship. Maybe Will tried to get him to help bring down Cyclops. He clearly seems to know that Cal is Manhattan, looking back now at that conversation with Angela it’s thick with “I know, and I know that you know, and we are both going to play dumb.”

I had another thought which might be totally wrong but here we go.

What if Jon was a black scientist? He wasn't white but almost like Hooded Justice has been white washed by history, perhaps by the agenda of the Cyclops?. Those photos we see of Jon as a boy etc are all fake/ photoshopped. Will knows Jon is/ was a black man and seeks out Dr Manhattan in the 70s/ 80s or prior because like you said he maybe tried to seek out Dr Manhattan to help take down Cyclops. Of course Jon now has transended past certain human forms of identity like race and barely feels for humanity at all so Will's pleas fall on deaf ears but it's maybe where he learns all about Will's past. Maybe when Jon returns he has developed more empathy and clearly has a desire to at least feel human again, and his guilt at not helping Will is what makes him seek out Angela.

Also if someone's proposed something similar sorry, haven't read much of this thread.

Edit: but then that would make the comics non canon or at least the part where he's shown to be white so maybe not. I imagine the show runners wouldn't change that aspect from the original comics. I guess he would then have just chosen to look like Cal to look similar to Angela? You could still suggest that Will sought him out to help with cyclops as suggested.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 3, 2019

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Somberbrero posted:

I just thought there might be a thread for this show and come to find people don't like it?

*farts*

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm trying to remember where I saw an "Eastman"-branded clock somewhere ...

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I would enjoy if keene actually did successfully Manhattan himself and immediately stopped giving a poo poo about the white race once granted the same universal perspective.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

It’s 7 episodes of a 9 episode season. The time has run out and we’re not going to get almost any satisfying end, at least I don’t think so personally. It’s cool a lot of people in this thread enjoyed the ride and this show but I just wish I could see what you guys see. All I see is a bad show with poorly written characters, a confusing plot and a bunch of mysteries. Next week is supposed to be another flashback episode as well. When will something happen? The final episode?

Some stories are told almost entirely framed in flashback.

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I just watched E7. I think the show is good and I really want to watch the rest of it.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Just Chamber posted:

I had another thought which might be totally wrong but here we go.

What if Jon was a black scientist? He wasn't white but almost like Hooded Justice has been white washed by history, perhaps by the agenda of the Cyclops?. Those photos we see of Jon as a boy etc are all fake/ photoshopped. Will knows Jon is/ was a black man and seeks out Dr Manhattan in the 70s/ 80s or prior because like you said he maybe tried to seek out Dr Manhattan to help take down Cyclops. Of course Jon now has transended past certain human forms of identity like race and barely feels for humanity at all so Will's pleas fall on deaf ears but it's maybe where he learns all about Will's past. Maybe when Jon returns he has developed more empathy and clearly has a desire to at least feel human again, and his guilt at not helping Will is what makes him seek out Angela.

Also if someone's proposed something similar sorry, haven't read much of this thread.

Edit: but then that would make the comics non canon or at least the part where he's shown to be white so maybe not. I imagine the show runners wouldn't change that aspect from the original comics. I guess he would then have just chosen to look like Cal to look similar to Angela? You could still suggest that Will sought him out to help with cyclops as suggested.

Yeah, no, that ain't happening. Manhattan has a fairly well established backstory (unlike hooded justice) and one we see directly from his perspective during flashback sequences to when he was Jon Osterman. It would create a lot of fundamental differences about what we know of the character for literally no reason other than shock values. They are better writers than that.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Somberbrero posted:

*farts*
It's actually been fairly positive up until this latest episode, at which point fans of Doctor Manhattan cheered and not-fans of Doctor Manhattan boo'd.

I haven't wanted to watch the next episode of a show this badly in a while. I'm excited. So far every stupid thing that's happened on the show has had at least a decent explanation for why said thing happened if not an easily assumed theory in a subsequent episode. I think freaking out over the last scene of not the last episode is never a good idea and it's a worse idea in a show that seems to not be your typical Lindelof/JJ mystery box (no matter how much some of you seem to think it is, though even I don't really know because there are still 2 episodes left.)

Also the elephant is a 2-sided joke. 1: Angela has an elephant in the room that she isn't bringing up to those around her; the fact Cal is Doc Man. 2: Elephants are scientifically known for having amazing memory so it makes sense one could be used to suck the memory-juice out of you.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Somberbrero posted:

*farts*

I don't like it...I love it - almost as much as the people creating the show.

Hurm...if I can find one more, will make a nice set of earrings.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Angela pushes her fingers through the front of Cal's skull and fishes out a small, soft-plastic bottle of lube

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Just finished the ep, drat it feels good to be right:

Jay-V posted:

Wow good catch on his name. Also, "Excalibur" is the name of Laurie's Dr. Manhattan dildo. So you have:

"Laurie's ex" -> "Dr. Manhattan" -> "Excalibur" -> "Ex-Cal Abar" -> Cal Abar is Laurie's Ex, Dr. Manhattan :tinfoil:

Jay-V posted:

Sorry, this was a dumb joke post I made but now I can't stop thinking about it. Cal is the one who insists Dr. M can't look like a human. Also, Cal could have rescued Angela by annihilating all trace of the 2nd 7K dude during White Night (thus why everyone thinks she had just one attacker).

I may have brainworms

e: AND Laurie is attracted to him :colbert:

Jay-V posted:

Yep they show us that BBC (another reason Cal is actually Dr Manhattan)

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mantis42 posted:

I noticed more conspicuous lettuce right before the bombing that killed Angela's parents. One more for that motif, I guess.

pay attention

It's a complex show with a lot of details to keep track of, please forgive me o television maestro

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

She’s probably never fought a genuine threat aside from Veidt.
You'd think her confrontation with Veidt would have taught her to be vary of remotes, of all things.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Silk Spectre was almost 40 for the events of watchmen and is 70 when the show takes place.

Oh right; in my head, the Crimebusters meeting was in the 70s, but that was the Keene Act

Anyway, I think her jaded perspective is exactly why she doesn't realize Jane is trapdooring her. Laurie here seems to be very similar to Laurie in the novel: she's just Over the whole costumed adventurer thing, after her and Dan's return stint with it in the late 80s/90s. She refuses to call Angela or LG by their alter egos, has zero patience for Petey's reverence of America's costumed history. She's been doing Real Crimefighter work in the FBI, so when a person of interest in a murder case starts doing some obvious republic supervillain poo poo, her brain just rejects it outright. Trapdoors? Those aren't a thing that happens in murder investigations.

E: Actually, isn't there a Peteypedia FBI interview after Laurie and Dan kill the okc bomber, presumably the end of their adventuring career, where Laurie's last name is still Juspeczyk? That creates an interesting cyclical character arc, where Sally cynically changes her last name to better endear herself to Anglo-America, then Laurie haughtily takes it back only to cynically change it, possibly when she entered the FBI to endear her herself to government law enforcement, where the name Blake undoubtedly still carries clout.

Laurie is also an interesting microcosm of the assumed "Utopia failed" status of Veidt's master plan. When confronted with 11/2, we leave Laurie and Dan as reinvigorated, swashbuckling heroes/lovers. But, naturally, life just continued to happen and their irreconcilable differences and Laurie's genuine deep-seated loathing of costumed vigilantism couldn't overcome the euphoria of living after an apocalypse, nor the sense of shared humanity and mortality it momentarily gave the rest of the world. Sure, international nuclear war no longer seems to be a threat, but we see that clear into the 2000s, racism is still alive and beating at the heart of America. In Watchmen, there are no walks into the sunset - even the most apparent victory or conclusion will still be plagued or eventually tainted by the small, ugly, evil imperfections of human beings/western society

tin can made man fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 3, 2019

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That is definitely how Dr Manhattan would explain death to children.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

McSpanky posted:

Topher isn't adopted, right? Maybe he's just a chip off the ol' atomic pile.

You really didn't watch the show did you

HppyCmpr
May 8, 2011
I feel a little bad for Angela and Cal's adopted children to be honest.

You're aware that your husband is secretly Dr. Manhattan but still decide to adopt two children, either potentially putting them in danger in the future or requiring an awkward conversation when Cal ceases to exist.

"Children, I know you miss your father but in reality he's actually a blue superhuman so don't feel bad." :raise:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

OTOH "my dad could beat up your dad" - kid, you have no idea.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

HppyCmpr posted:

"Children, I know you miss your father but in reality he's actually a blue superhuman so don't feel bad." :raise:

"Children, I know you miss your father but nothing ever ends."

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
On reflection, Angela HAS spent the entire series either obviously lying or deflecting the truth; originally this seemed to just be related to police work and her general reticence over a traumatic past, then her being on the fringes of Wills great conspiracy, but I think on a rewatch she'll definitely track as a person who's keeping the world's most important secret and is instantly hostile to ANY attempt to know more about her or especially her family life.

Also, while thinking about that I realized that Angela's literal first appearance is her cracking an egg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bushido Brown
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah the egg motif is awesome now that we've had the reveal.