Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sniep posted:

didn't the results of this suck rear end

like compared to a $400 best buy entry level aps-c crop sensor DSLR and kit lens

just demolished that fucker?

Cell phone cameras will always be worse than camera cameras because it is just phenomenally easier to make a high-quality lens when you have a lot of space to work with. Doesn't matter how much post-processing work you do; you can't get past optical physics.

that's beyond the point, though, because cell phone cameras have been good enough for all consumers for at least 3 or 4 years now, and every new feature is purely marketing fluff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

one day someone will include a real synthetic aperture light field camera in a phone. until then bumps are just going to grow

or they could just make the loving phones thicker.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shaggar posted:

or they could just make the loving phones thicker.

this is one instance where number go up is bad

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

wasn't the one they made into a commercial project super boxy and also incredibly low res?

yes. the main reasons for this are that you need an assload of pixels to get any decent resolution (like, 40x the number of pixels in your sensor as your target image resolution). but that’s if you want a truly plenoptic refocusable image. if all you really want to do is take a good picture with an array of lovely cameras, you can use far fewer.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Sagebrush posted:

Cell phone cameras will always be worse than camera cameras because it is just phenomenally easier to make a high-quality lens when you have a lot of space to work with. Doesn't matter how much post-processing work you do; you can't get past optical physics.

that's beyond the point, though, because cell phone cameras have been good enough for all consumers for at least 3 or 4 years now, and every new feature is purely marketing fluff

that's not what im talking about tho

i mean that speciality super-multi-sensor camera that i quoted - it Runs Android but it's not a phone afaik, it's just a camera that was touted as being some billboard-sized-massive-megapixel dream camera that would surpass medium format yadda yadda, but then it simply didn't.

the promises vs. the reality were strikingly different, is all. I get a phone camera is fine for most people again that's not what that was aimed at tho.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

infernal machines posted:

samsung: i need a new lens layout for my cameras

just gently caress my poo poo up fam

loss.heif

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Perplx posted:

you need all those cameras to be as good as a $100 point and shoot

I don't know if you've used a point-and-shoot recently but they are way way worse than a phone camera. Not even a 11 Pro, just a normal phone camera.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sniep posted:

that's not what im talking about tho

i mean that speciality super-multi-sensor camera that i quoted - it Runs Android but it's not a phone afaik, it's just a camera that was touted as being some billboard-sized-massive-megapixel dream camera that would surpass medium format yadda yadda, but then it simply didn't.

the promises vs. the reality were strikingly different, is all. I get a phone camera is fine for most people again that's not what that was aimed at tho.

iirc the software was really really incredibly bad, even by the standards of android anything. it's possible it might have worked in some way if they hadn't been so absolutely godawful at software

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

I don't know if you've used a point-and-shoot recently but they are way way worse than a phone camera. Not even a 11 Pro, just a normal phone camera.

hard disagree, your point and shoot is a pos. what are you using?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

RX100 supremacy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

an iPhone 11 pro op

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I took some really good pictures with my rx100 but then I got a fuji x100f and that thing rules. turns out physical controls are the best, who knew?

if you have an actual interest in taking photos get a real camera

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i wanna get a nikon z6 but i want to try one out in person and all the bests buy around here either tell me "oh no, we don't have a demo model of that, but we can totally order it for you" or "uhhh we had a demo one but it got stolen, but we can totally order it for you"

helpful. i'm not gonna buy a nearly 2000 dollar camera without feeling how it feels.

does samy's camera have a good selection of floor models? i keep seeing ads for them on the buses

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

i wanna get a nikon z6 but i want to try one out in person and all the bests buy around here either tell me "oh no, we don't have a demo model of that, but we can totally order it for you" or "uhhh we had a demo one but it got stolen, but we can totally order it for you"

helpful. i'm not gonna buy a nearly 2000 dollar camera without feeling how it feels.

does samy's camera have a good selection of floor models? i keep seeing ads for them on the buses

have you considered a camera store?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

I got my fuji from fireside camera in the marina, they’re chill. samy’s is ok too

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

get the a73 or a7r3/4

the control and menu is a mess but you can make it somewhat usable after customizing the buttons while the sensor and auto focus makes it leaps and bounds better than everything else on the market and worthwhile

also the sony system has been getting some great first and third party lenses

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

I highly recommend renting for a couple days if you can.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Midjack posted:

hard disagree, your point and shoot is a pos. what are you using?

I looked it up and it's a canon PowerShot SX540

Only thing noticeably better is lowlight and zoom.
Probably not even lowlight if you have a recent phone.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

ohhh I was thinking of lytro

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

software poo poo like animoji sure, but a better camera is one of the few features the clearly does matter, and there's a lot of cool stuff being done there still. e.g. huaweis periscope setup: https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/22/18511229/huawei-p30-periscope-lens-teardown-clever-zoom-camera

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Motorola managed to make a folding phone that isn't COMPLETE poo poo

That is, until today

edit: I'm the table tennis camera mod

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

laffo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

CoolRanch posted:

That is, until today

wtf

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

what is going on with the table tennis mode

mystes
May 31, 2006

Does it rotate or does it have screens on 3 sides?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

screens on 3 sides, so it's useable folded and not

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

3+ screens is the 2020 version of 3+ cameras I guess

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
100% screen coverage doesn’t just mean one face of the phone

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

which oem will have the courage to go past the obvious four screens and do 5 or 6?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

i've been looking forward to a phone i can only use the mini screen of if i'm sat at my desk, because otherwise it turns into a fifteen hundred dollar seesaw.

(i originally wrote thousand dollar, but thought it would be mean to vastly overvalue it so checked the price and welp)

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

CoolRanch posted:

That is, until today

those are just unofficial renders based off of a patent https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_2020_to_resurrect_moto_mods-news-40382.php

time will tell if they actually produce and release something that poo poo

kinda reminds me of that hosed up starship-enterprise-looking 2-in-1 laptop acer made

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

those are just unofficial renders based off of a patent https://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_razr_2020_to_resurrect_moto_mods-news-40382.php

time will tell if they actually produce and release something that poo poo

kinda reminds me of that hosed up starship-enterprise-looking 2-in-1 laptop acer made

uh yeah time will tell

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think the current razr looks like that rendering or has the part sticking out when it's open?

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

mystes posted:

I don't think the current razr looks like that rendering or has the part sticking out when it's open?

close, what do you get when you smash foldable technology and sales record breaking Moto mods?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-imagines-a-foldable-Razr-with-modular-attachments_id120865

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

folding screens are stupid. if they can make a screen that can fold in half, i want one that rolls out of the side like i'm unfurling a blueprint. and it should retract like a pull-down blind rolling up into its housing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CoolRanch posted:

close, what do you get when you smash foldable technology and sales record breaking Moto mods?

https://www.phonearena.com/news/Motorola-imagines-a-foldable-Razr-with-modular-attachments_id120865
Right, that's what we were all talking about. The current razr doesn't look like that, though.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Sagebrush posted:

folding screens are stupid. if they can make a screen that can fold in half, i want one that rolls out of the side like i'm unfurling a blueprint. and it should retract like a pull-down blind rolling up into its housing.

Digital Torah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Comes with a stylus shaped like a pointing hand of course

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I think various people have thought of this design before, but it's just not possible to make it work acceptably with current technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

qirex posted:

which oem will have the courage to go past the obvious four screens and do 5 or 6?

I won’t rest until I have a phone that’s just a ball covered in thousands of screens like a compound eye