Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's a little weird to have a bunch of men in their 20s-30s falling over themselves trying to impress a...how old is Mildred again? 16 or 17?

Just a reminder that we're supposed to be on week 8 of that whole Bull suicide awareness storyline. We never got to see what Linda's going through from losing her husband, and she's actively covering up that he killed himself. Hell, they're supposed to have kid(s) and we've never even seen Bull's kid at all in this mess. You'd think it would be easy pathos to show the kid breaking down over their dad's death and everything.

It's really gross just how much Batiuk doesn't give a poo poo and just used Bull's death as a talking point to get him featured on the NYTimes.

It just hit me, but Rudy's supposed to be in college, isn't he? It's weird that the baby got a redesign to look older, while Rudy's still shorter than his mom and looks like a middle-schooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

amigolupus posted:

It's a little weird to have a bunch of men in their 20s-30s falling over themselves trying to impress a...how old is Mildred again? 16 or 17?

17 is legal in Britain :mrgw:

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Still weird!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Transmodiar posted:

Did you even read the strip? He's not saying crying is bad.
Pros and Cons guy has so little benefit of the doubt left that it's hard to blame people for jumping to the worst conclusions, tbh.

Now that's the good poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

DC Money posted:

good eye! i learned about corto through this thread and now have 8-9 books (all the ones i could get for reasonable prices) plus a book of his (pratt's) man from the great white north character - jesuit joe - well worth getting if you run into it.

Hooray! I'm tres glad to hear that, and I'll keep an eye out for Jesuit Joe if I can get my grubby mitts on it. Remember everyone! If you want better scans, do as DC Money has done and support the Pratt estate by getting the books yourself, or even asking your local library to pick them up.

...On that note, in today's Corto Maltese: Oh God, Corto what the hell can Cain do to help you in this situation, eh?, or Whozagoodboy? Whozagoodboy?! It's YOU! It's YOU!, or Manfred makes sure to get in touch with Mama

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

sweeperbravo posted:

The Hayden strips are better if you imagine Hayden is Ed's biological son and Dustin is the cool young involved Step Dad and Ed's really bitter about it

In my headcanon Dustin is actually Hayden's father from a high school fling and we're watching them hang out on the days he has custody. It at least gives Ed a reason to think his son is an irresponsible bum. Not a super good reason, considering how Dustin's still working at so many jobs he falls asleep at them from sheer exhaustion, but it's better than nothing.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

:discourse:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

amigolupus posted:

I doubt it's meant to be like that at all, because it is created by John Allison and not Guy Gilchrist. There's probably a sensible plot-related explanation coming up.

(Jack is meant to be insecure because that's just Jack)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
In my fanfic Hayden is Dustin's son but also Jeremy from Zits' step-brother.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 11, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 11, 1998)

Garfield Classic (May 11, 1988)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 11, 1998)

I loving love this comic.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

fisting by many posted:

I doubt it's meant to be like that at all, because it is created by John Allison and not Guy Gilchrist. There's probably a sensible plot-related explanation coming up.

Yeah, I don't think John Allison is saying this is a positive thing or something. Just that it looks weird for a bunch of adult men to flock around a 16-17 year old girl's desk like that.

Jack and Linton do seem to trade who gets to be insecure on a weekly daily basis though.

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

This is an outrage! I attend a piano concert to enjoy the subtle art of two classically trained performers rutting like the beasts of the field, not to see them a-feudin' and a-fussin' like drunken hillbillies.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

EasyEW posted:

Dok's "I'm Sure This Is Vaguely Political" Duck (December 10, 1912)

Given the timeframe, I assume it’s referencing this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Entente

Hoover Dam posted:

I think we're looking at Italy, Austria-Hungary, and Germany, who are hanging out waiting to see how the first Balkan War is going to shake out in terms of regional alliances (answer: not well). Italy quits first and fights with the Allied forces during WWI.

Or that, yeah

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Dec 3, 2019

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

I like Viivi & Wagner, but I also feel that if a strip has run its course then it should be allowed to rest a while.

I kinda like Vivi and Wagner, but let it rest if we're at the end.

I giggled at this. :kimchi:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Transmodiar posted:

Did you even read the strip? He's not saying crying is bad.

Haifisch posted:

Pros and Cons guy has so little benefit of the doubt left that it's hard to blame people for jumping to the worst conclusions, tbh.

Basically this yeah. It's how I read the strip.

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Cheer Up Boss Dharma

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Holy poo poo this one's a keeper

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Apr 13, 1951)

Have I mentioned yet how much I hate the mud pie thing in early Peanuts? JFC Schulz we get it, MOVE ON!

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 3-4, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 14-15, 2014)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fisting by many posted:

Someone asked about this on Gocomics, and Allison responded:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
‘Elementary industrial complex’ would have flowed better, IMO.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Charlotte Grote is getting her own comic book - even though Allison continues to pawn off the artwork to lesser talent:

Her transformation into a 21st century Modesty Blaise nears completion. Speaking of:

Transmodiar fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 3, 2019

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Transmodiar posted:

Charlotte Grote is getting her own comic book - even though Allison continues to pawn off the artwork to lesser talent:

Aw yisssssss.

quote:

Ah, I see. A thug, but also a wise man, who knows he would get turbomurdered if he dared lay a hand on Modesty.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
loving fantastic!

Transmodiar posted:

even though Allison continues to pawn off the artwork to lesser talent:

:chloe:

Oh

No

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My sister was as bad if not worse than me about a messy room. Especially the dishes thing. I couldn't stand leaving dirty dishes in my room, but we would run out of bowls or spoons or whatever and find them in her room.

I like the idea of a Lottie book but I'm not sure how I feel about the style.

F Minus

:lol:

Mark "Words" Trail

Mary Worth

"Did you ask him why you are lazy, fat, and bald?"

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Oh my God Buck shut up.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Heart

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

Mark "Words" Trail

Hahahahaha, look at that fat body he pasted Dr. Camel's/my head onto. Look at the the loving giraffe neck on Mark.

Mr. "Prove I use clip art" has two loving shrunken heads in this panel.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Transmodiar posted:

Her transformation into a 21st century Modesty Blaise nears completion.
:bisonyes:

2016 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

quote:

Wendlefield, a town on the move! Can you spot another contemporary, baffling, mobile phone use case? Collect the set! Fans of the monthly Giant Days series will know all about Esther's employer, Bakermax.

Transmodiar posted:

:getin:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Southern regions of (modern) Sweden were part of Denmark up until the 17th century.

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Manliness

Retail

Get Fuzzy 12/2/99

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Is calling Max Sarin a lesser talent meant to be sarcastic? She's incredible.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Transmodiar posted:

Aww, I like Max's art! I think they do a really good job of translating Allison's style and characters into something more traditionally "comic book-ey" in Giant Days, if that makes any sense.

AND gently caress YEAH MORE LOTTIE

Also, I wonder if the announcement of this new Grote series is why I can't find the kinda-sorta-ish Bad Machinery sequel about Linton and Mildred (or maybe Shauna, I can't remember) he was posting as part of Bobbins (I think?) on his website anymore. I actually went looking for it last night because I hadn't finished it and couldn't find it.

...I was actually gonna request it be posted/post it myself after BM ends.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 3, 2019

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

asecondduck posted:

Also, I wonder if the announcement of Grote series is why I can't find the kinda-sorta-ish Bad Machinery sequel about Linton and Mildred (or maybe Shauna, I can't remember) he was posting as part of Bobbins (I think?) on his website anymore. I actually went looking for it last night because I hadn't finished it and couldn't find it.

Allison cryptically posted a while back that The Great Unboxing "Shouldn't have been published" but didn't really elaborate. Which is a bummer, it had some great stuff and I already loved the next generation of Tackleford kids.

RIP Fit Mum

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JethroMcB posted:

Allison cryptically posted a while back that The Great Unboxing "Shouldn't have been published" but didn't really elaborate. Which is a bummer, it had some great stuff and I already loved the next generation of Tackleford kids.

RIP Fit Mum

:tinfoil:

Heh, if any webcomic series should have a part of it that mysteriously disappears under suspicious circumstances, it's Scary-Go-Round.

And yeah, Mystery Kids: TNG were pretty great. Hopefully they're happily living the suburb of other forgotten characters (or, even better, will appear in the Lottie comic).

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

This child's maths irritates me. The ~90 figure is reachable if you round up every day, but continuing to do that for another 30 days gets you up over 1700. The 300 figure after two months makes sense if you're doing a straight 1.1^60 calculation, but then the first month would top out at ~17.

Yes, I have thought more about this than the author, but that is standard around here.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Wait what the hell happened to the stolen baby

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.

Transmodiar posted:

Her transformation into a 21st century Modesty Blaise nears completion.

Awesome, awesome, friggin awesome.

Allison had said he was working on something after Steeple, and he had posted this picture on his Instagram recently:

JethroMcB posted:

RIP Fit Mum

My theory as to why Allison unmade The Great Unboxing: The ending of that strip effectively ended the Bad Machinery kids time at Griswalds, and he might have wanted to do more with the cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

asecondduck posted:

Aww, I like Max's art! I think they do a really good job of translating Allison's style and characters into something more traditionally "comic book-ey" in Giant Days, if that makes any sense.

It's not bad art, it's just not as good as what Allison was doing by the end of his run on Bad Machinery:

I don't like the way the characters are posed or the the facial expressions; Lottie and her mom look like they smelled a fart. The expressions in BM connote something else entirely.