Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Serephina posted:

Remember that BFG edition added more ammo in, which borks balance even worse than it was.

As an aside, even though Doom3 was trying for a horror atmosphere and it largely fails after the first few minutes, I really do enjoy its aesthetic a lot more than Doom4. Especially in their renditions of Hell.

Oooh interesting, I didn't realize it messed with the ammo counts. It does something with the lighting too, right? Besides the flashlight being toggled independently of the weapon being held, I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the only thing that sucks about doom 3's hell segments is that there aren't more of them

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oooh interesting, I didn't realize it messed with the ammo counts. It does something with the lighting too, right? Besides the flashlight being toggled independently of the weapon being held, I mean.

Ammo counts and other problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwLvY7X54SQ

BFG is an.... interesting change, and I ultimately went with Doom 3 vanilla because it was cheaper and I want to try the intended experience first.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I wish I remember anything about Doom 3’s hell other than being mad it’s the only time you have unlimited stamina and it looks like a Thief 2 map.

I would offer my thoughts on fixing Doom 3 within the context of what they wanted the game to be and the result is first person Dead Space.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Vanilla Doom 3 and its expansion is the best experience. The expansion got the worst of it in the BFG Edition with entire areas removed for no reason or changed to be significantly easier.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Serephina posted:

Remember that BFG edition added more ammo in, which borks balance even worse than it was.

As an aside, even though Doom3 was trying for a horror atmosphere and it largely fails after the first few minutes, I really do enjoy its aesthetic a lot more than Doom4. Especially in their renditions of Hell.

I liked hell in Doom 4 just because it feels like something a young teenager would think is cool: lots of fire and a cool spooky voice saying how cool you are every now and then.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think my plan is, at the moment, to beat Doom 2 and then take a little time, then start Doom 3 and try to play it with as few expectations as possible. It's an action game, it's a horror game, it doesn't give much ammo, etc etc etc - I want to experience it with as much respect as possible before I decide to hate it or not. It's very weird planning to play something I've heard about most of my life in the terms of "it's dark, it sucked, flashlight as a weapon is dumb, monster closets" and not understanding where the vitriol was coming from? I didn't know what the original Doom was or what it meant, so Doom 3 has always been a weird curiosity to me.

...also it helps knowing now that Doom 3 didn't kill the franchise, that the 2016 reboot was and is worthy of the name, and the mod scene is still alive and thriving for the originals.

(As an aside, man! Finally learning what Quake is and playing is a bizarre feeling after years of reading User Friendly comics, hearing about it, fragging and rockets and having this weird mental image of a brown room with open pits of lava in it? Which is technically accurate, but doesn't convey Quake's textures or architecture at all.)

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I don't know what Doom 3 hell is like because I always got bored before I got there so as far as I know the game is endless gray corridors.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I super enjoyed Doom 3 and hope you do too! It’s got a rep but I think it’s a cool game. I enjoyed it in 2004 and I enjoy it now.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't know what Doom 3 hell is like because I always got bored before I got there so as far as I know the game is endless gray corridors.

Since it's fresh in my mind, Doom 3 Hell is pretty dark, largely irregular bricks and earth interrupted with castle-like interiors...some caverns, skulls, and lava, and occasionally you'll see areas that are suspended in a red void (a lot like Xen in some ways, but hellish).

It wasn't bad, but I've heard a lot of people slam DOOM 2016's hell while really talking up Doom 3's hell and I'm not sure what's going on because it's really generic. Maybe BFG Edition changed a ton and the original version is completely different, I don't know. I never made it that far in the original game either.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

(As an aside, man! Finally learning what Quake is and playing is a bizarre feeling after years of reading User Friendly comics, hearing about it, fragging and rockets and having this weird mental image of a brown room with open pits of lava in it? Which is technically accurate, but doesn't convey Quake's textures or architecture at all.)

This is Quake 3. Quake 1 is Army of Darkness starring Doomguy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, I have no idea why people laud D3's version of hell either.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Doom 3 BFG makes hell better by letting you sprint infinitely in Hell, since the maps there are more open and take longer to get through.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Isn't that a thing in the original D3?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Lying in bed still thinking about Doom 2's suburbs and its house that is full of corpses. I know it has a secret in it that negates it a bit but I felt genuine shock when I first opened those doors and realized that it... was just a house stuffed with corpses. For a moment I was thinking about the world in Doom, where Earth is ruined and infested, and I wondered what had happened here.

drat good - if primitive - environmental storytelling. It's a real shame that none of the other city levels do this. I know some mods give it a go, fortunately, and I'm thinking of ALT especially.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Johnny Law posted:

Isn't that a thing in the original D3?

yeah, there's even a note/recording or something about hell seeming to give people unnatural vigor when they're there, iirc

al-azad
May 28, 2009

lol I never even thought about that room because I was just pissed by the arch-viles with clear lines of sight and how much Doom 2 uses "teleport a wave of enemies in because gently caress you that's why."

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

al-azad posted:

lol I never even thought about that room because I was just pissed by the arch-viles with clear lines of sight and how much Doom 2 uses "teleport a wave of enemies in because gently caress you that's why."

seconding this

sandy petersen did a cool thing hearkening back to what he's good with with Chaosium? what?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

al-azad posted:

how much Doom 2 uses "teleport a wave of enemies in because gently caress you that's why."

this but custom maps, lots of people use the "monsters in a side room with a teleporter and sound pipe" trick like they're the first ones to discover it and are really proud of it

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Halo Reach drops at 10 AM PST today. 9 bones for my fav Halo game on PC? I'll take it.

Also I do like me some Doom 3. I played through it again last year, and had a much more enjoyable experience after I threw together a few mods:

1) Tightened shotgun spread so it doesn't fire like a blunderbuss

2) Changed the shotgun model to that from the original 2003 alpha version (seriously it looks so much better)

3) Mixed and matched a few sound packs to beef up the weaponry.

One thing I absolutley will not loving excuse D3 for is the godawful trites though. Utterly ghastly, lovely, unfun to fight enemies. Thank gently caress they don't show up very often but I just throw on god mode and run tf away. I had much more patience 15 years ago.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Quake 3 is now 20 years old! :corsair:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Convex posted:

So is Unreal Tournament! Great now I gotta go play some Facing Worlds...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 3 on Xbox (original) is the best version, come at me.

I also really liked Doom 3's version of Nightmare where your health constantly depletes but you have the soul cube from the start, that was a slick way of making the game harder in an interesting way.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

I’m old and miss the late 90s FPS era dearly. I distinctly remember how excited I was when my parents got me my first graphics card (and old Radeon I think?) and I loaded up Unreal Tournament for the first time :allears:

Also counter-strike is over 20 years old holy gently caress. That game definitely caused my GPA to suffer heavily in Freshman year.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Convex posted:

I was a 19 year old straight outta High School working at a Super K Mart when it came out. I remember it like it was yesterday. My friend and I would grab chairs from Kitchen Goods and take them to the Console Demo area, plop them in the isle, and play video games. The manager would come over the loud speaker that the entire store could hear to tell us to knock it off. Good times! Also, I'm old now. :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Looks like Elementalism is coming along, though they've announced they'll be dividing the release into two parts, each containing 3 episodes. Curious to see the what the weapons end up being.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Mordja posted:

Looks like Elementalism is coming along, though they've announced they'll be dividing the release into two parts, each containing 3 episodes.

Promising, because that surely means one half is more complete than the other, and that way they won't wait until all is finished.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I also shoulda mentioned that each episode will be 5 maps long.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It's really funny. At first I thought that was a Quake map (elementalism) and hated it. Once I realized it is for Doom, I really like it. I think it's mainly that first screenshot that looks like "work smarter not harder.pk3" for quake, and is actually a pretty unique doom map.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, speaking of DUSK, guessing we'll get the SDK as a Christmas present.
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1201671809742958592

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I'm now playing Delta Force, a very old janky military shooter (from 1998!) and I am kind of in love with it? Instead of having a zoom-in/aim mode, it puts a little zoomed in circle on the screen, which is novel! And it works surprisingly well, as whenever you move the circle vanishes, and you can keep an eye on your surroundings at the same time.

I also like the mission-based campaign, with nice juicy briefings to read and then you have teammates who help clear out enemy bases.

Mind you it looks.... listen, it's from 1998. And it has to run in a 800x600 fullscreen mode as otherwise it doesn't work. But I love it anyways, this is primo retro FPSing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as someone who has no modding experience whatsoever i'm curious as to how complex making stuff for dusk might be

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
  • The Halo series has finally escaped its consoline prison. Halo Reach is now on Steam, Windows 10 and the confusingly-named Xbox Game Pass for PC (which is currently running a three-months-for-a-buck trial deal if you're looking for an excuse to play Outer Worlds).
  • GAME in the UK, who I was pretty sure shut down years ago, have leaked the existence of Doom: Slayers Collection for PS4 and XB1. It's basically a disk copy of Doom 2016 with download codes for the recent ports of Doom 1, 2 and 3 packed in, coming out on the 13th. There are probably worse gifts to give your bratty Fortnite-obsessed nephew.
  • Master Levels for Heretic smushes together 50 previously-released Heretic maps from the last 20 years, giving you a nice look through what's commonly a blind-spot for mod releases.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Mordja posted:

Oh yeah, speaking of DUSK, guessing we'll get the SDK as a Christmas present.
https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1201671809742958592

Can't wait to play Half-Life in Dusk

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

The Kins posted:

• The Halo series has finally escaped its consoline prison. Halo Reach is now on Steam, Windows 10 and the confusingly-named Xbox Game Pass for PC (which is currently running a three-months-for-a-buck trial deal if you're looking for an excuse to play Outer Worlds).
  • GAME in the UK, who I was pretty sure shut down years ago, have leaked the existence of Doom: Slayers Collection for PS4 and XB1. It's basically a disk copy of Doom 2016 with download codes for the recent ports of Doom 1, 2 and 3 packed in, coming out on the 13th. There are probably worse gifts to give your bratty Fortnite-obsessed nephew.
  • Master Levels for Heretic smushes together 50 previously-released Heretic maps from the last 20 years, giving you a nice look through what's commonly a blind-spot for mod releases.

Heads up, from what I was reading in the Halo thread, it sounds like it's currently buggy AF.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wow a halo re release being a buggy piece of poo poo? Who could have seen that coming

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's been pretty seamless for me and everyone I know personally, I think a small portion of people are suffering from bugs but the player population is big enough that that's still a large amount of people.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

Mordja posted:

Heads up, from what I was reading in the Halo thread, it sounds like it's currently buggy AF.

Right now I've only played about an hour of firefight and custom games so, grain of salt. The actual gameplay seems to run really well (though I did experience some random splitsecond frame drops, despite running well over spec), but the audio mixing is really bad and makes all the guns sound much less punchy in the original, and I've heard it's worse in the campaign.

It's also one of those games where it's obvious a ton of console stuff has been directly ported over, so stuff like controls and what little graphics options you have need a bit of setup to feel right on a mouse and keyboard. It needs an XBL sign in to play as well, and the progression for cosmetic stuff's been changed to a Fortnite style season system (no microtransactions thankfully), with none of the unlocks of the original ported over like other stuff tied to XBL accounts.

All in all I'd describe it as "rough, but playable" for now. It's still a good game. A plus to note is that if the launch options are anything to go by, it has some form of modding support, which is nice.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm now playing Delta Force, a very old janky military shooter (from 1998!) and I am kind of in love with it? Instead of having a zoom-in/aim mode, it puts a little zoomed in circle on the screen, which is novel! And it works surprisingly well, as whenever you move the circle vanishes, and you can keep an eye on your surroundings at the same time.

I also like the mission-based campaign, with nice juicy briefings to read and then you have teammates who help clear out enemy bases.

Mind you it looks.... listen, it's from 1998. And it has to run in a 800x600 fullscreen mode as otherwise it doesn't work. But I love it anyways, this is primo retro FPSing.

Delta Force is pretty neat because it's a big full voxel engine. It gives you some extremely big maps to run around and play budget Ghost Recon on.

The Reach cosmetic unlock changes are a massive improvement because the old version you had to grind for like 200 hours of multiplayer to unlock the higher end items, and now you just get an item every single match almost.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Disproportionation posted:

A plus to note is that if the launch options are anything to go by, it has some form of modding support, which is nice.
Official word is they want to have mods, and they intend on talking to the ElDewrito dudes who hacked up the corpse of that Russian F2P Halo 3 port to get some ideas on what to do, but it's gonna be a post-launch thing.