Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

You wear a t shirt without a bra to bed? God, Becky, you are such a slut!
What? No I cant constantly sleep with my boyfriend in his dorm, what do I look like a slut?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Motronic posted:

We have wildly different ideas about either "expensive" or "a lot of notice."

"A lot of notice" means "enough time for it to get there on the slow boat".

"Not terribly expensive" means "cheaper than buying extra checked bags".

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for pretending to get fired when customers get a temper with me?

I am a high schooler with a weekend job at a coffee shop. My coworkers who work weekends are:

James - the owners son, he goes to my school. He's a shift manager but it's not a real formal thing, he's a friendly guy.

Danielle - A college student who sometimes works weekends too.

So sometimes customers will come in and just be angry about such little stuff. Like literally blow up about nothing. I dunno if theyre in a bad mood already and looking for someone to take it out on or what, but it's a lot... Like how sad so your have to be to be a grown-rear end man taking your anger out on high school and college kids.

So James and I were joking about having a little fun with them and hopefully getting them off our backs.

So one day I was at work and some guy was having a temper about how we don't make the coffee hot enough... Which I couldn't do a thing about because I gave it to him right out of the machine.

So James came in and was like "sir is there a problem here" and the guy started ranting at him too. So he was just like "OP, this is unacceptable, you're fired."

I started acting real sad, like "no please don't fire me, my family needs the money, I need this job, pleaseeee" and he played up being a hard-rear end, telling me to take off my apron and leave.

The angry guy started to backtrack, like "It isn't that big of a problem, you don't need to fire her over it. I didn't mean it" and James was like "No, we pride ourselves on the best customer service"

Of course after all that drama I still had my job, we were just acting. And we've done it a couple times, whenever a customer will lose their temper at Danielle or I, James will storm in and "fire" us. And almost every time, the person who had come in angry will apologise and say that they didn't mean it. It's kind of satisfying, making people realize their actions might actually have consequences.

Anyway, I was telling my friends from school about this and a few of them thought it was a mean prank, to let someone go away thinking they'd gotten someone who desperately needs the money fired.

AITA for this joke?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This is pretty awesome but I can see it 100% backfiring on them one day lol.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Smirking_Serpent posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat for not putting it on YouTube

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

the only thing at stake here is a part time high school job, so go for it

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Eventually they'll get the truly spiteful and vindictive Karen/Chad who will start laughing and berating the firee for not listening to them and mock their fake sadness.

They need a gameplan, like James fires her and she storms to the back, then Danielle comes over and fires James he storms off, then OP comes from the back with a name tag that says "Manager" and fires Danielle, then James comes out with a name tag that says "Director" and so on until the person leaves.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

pentyne posted:

Eventually they'll get the truly spiteful and vindictive Karen/Chad who will start laughing and berating the firee for not listening to them and mock their fake sadness.
I like the revolving door, but it really just takes the manager or other adult to say "yo, you're being an rear end, please leave"

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Apple got hit with some FTC fines over purchases made by kids, and both they and the Play store will issue refunds almost without question for "kid got access to account" requests. Especially since it mostly hits the app owners instead of the Apple/Google, and where else we they going to go?

Isn't there some limit as to how many mulligans they'll give there? That is, at some point they'd expect you to better secure your credit card data.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yeah regular people will eventually be met with an expectation to secure their poo poo. Only corporations and the rich have infinite mulligans.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for wearing a shirt about my fake boobs?

I'm in my second year of a 3 year literature course. I've got breast implants. They don't look super fake but my natural boobs were pretty big (D cup) and asymmetrical. I got implants that were a little bigger (DD) and more symmetrical. I did this solely because I had a double mastectomy due to the early stages of breast cancer. I've lost several relatives to it so when they saw early stages I said to just remove the tissue entirely because I didn't want to risk it.

Disclaimer: I absolutely do not judge anyone getting implants for a non medical reason, especially as I got mine to look more symmetrical and got them in the next size up, which was entirely due to cosmetic reasons, but the fact I would not have got implants to begin with if not for my cancer scare is relevant to the question.

There is a note on my student file saying I have had early stages of breast cancer and it has brief notes on the medical stuff (double mastectomy and implants). I was having some issues healing so there were concerns that I could accidentally tear something in a lecture, and I had to miss uni for check ups to make sure that they got it all, so I had to have a meeting with a member of the campus medical team and they put the note on my file before second year started.

5 of my 6 lecturers asked me if I'm alright due to the reasoning for my surgery, which they said they read on my file, and after a brief talk have never brought it up again.

The remaining lecturer has said some stuff about my boobs (but not the cancer scare). The issue is, none of it is direct.

She'll be giving a talk on the role of a female character and then she'll go off on a tangent about how women change themselves to cater to men and she'll find some way to work breast implants into her speech, usually saying falsies are a product of the patriarchy or something. She'll be looking at me the whole time she talks. She's never directly talked to me about it, but I'm the only person in class with fake boobs and the number of times she mentioned them before my surgery is almost non existent compared to how many times she's mentioned them post surgery (always in non relevant contexts).

At first it made me uncomfortable, but now we're nearly at 3 months of this and it's really pissing me off. One of my friends jokingly got me some novelty t shirts when I had the surgery. She never thought I'd wear them but I'm seriously considering wearing one specific shirt.

The shirt reads: "Yes, these are fake. The real ones tried to kill me!" with a graphic of the pink breast cancer ribbon.

I would never do this normally, but I feel like showing up, sitting in my seat, and unzipping my jacket when she next mentions boob jobs might shut her up, or at least make her feel a little bad.

She's the head of the department, and the whole school of arts/humanities, and I have classes with her every term until spring 2021. This would be very passive aggressive so I want to check if I'd be going too far before I did it.

WIBTA?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

That prof is a huge rear end in a top hat, wow.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

The next time she makes one of those comments, stand up and tell the whole class why you got your fake boobs. For yourself. Never drop eye contact with the professor.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Head of the dept? Well that's a complaint that will go nowhere. An OpEd in the school paper, however...

Might as well just stand up and say you had a mastectomy and have the issue go nuclear.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for rigging a DnD to purposely put a player in their place?

Okay, so I picked up DnD because I wanted to find more common ground with my husband (who is really sick, so I figured we would do something to cheer him up!) Since then, I've been dubbed DM because apparently I'm the only one in the group that can do any sort of research. (We are all really really new to the game).

Well, there are usually five of us. and we are working on a home-brewed campaign. It's about the group of adventures who are supposed to help a woodfey figure out why the area is being burned and becoming sick. This should lead to a dragon being controlled by an unknown old god. I do a lot of improvising because I don't like killing the players, but I still want them to feel danger.

Well, now this one player is acting like an rear end in a top hat and argues about everything with me. Wants to murder all the NPC, or steal from them all the time because he's a rogue. Finally, I've had enough when he kept trying to "stealth" (disappearing like in WoW) in the middle of battle. I told him he could roll to hide, but he can't just stealth (especially sense he literally just stole the bandit's crossbow) . We go back and forth when finally I was like sure you roll for it but for now on you have to hit a 20 everytime. He gets all pissy, and starts poo poo talking on my campaign, then rolls for stealth and fails. He then tries to say he gets to roll again, and that I'm just being a sore loser.

So, I whipped out a loving displacer-beast that immediately attacks and nearly kills this rogue. He says I'm being an rear end in a top hat not letting everyone have fun, and that I'm not a good DM. I tell him to DM next time then. My husband said I made it awkward and that maybe I should just let him do as he pleases. What do you think Reddit?

To clarify: I've talked about the rules on stealth too many time to count. I finally tried to compromise just so we could play. The Displacer beast didn't kill anyone. I let the group talk it down, and the beast task them to kill the black pudding.(As it would eat the the Cubs when it wasn't around.) Mildly banged up, the group did get home and rest. I honestly really appreciate the tips, and honesty. I'll talk to the rogue, about chilling out and that I promise not to just whip out a displayed beast if he promises to just stick to the rules and stop arguing with me about everything. Thank you so much!

UPDATE: I've come to the conclusion that I'm just not a fan of D&D, and don't find it a lot of fun. It's too time consuming. I don't like arguing for two hours when I make stupid little cards for different monsters and make out all maps that take up alot of time.

Which is probably why I lashed out. Thanks again for all of the help! I'll be sure to pass the wisdom nuggets to whoever DMs next.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

pentyne posted:

They need a gameplan, like James fires her and she storms to the back, then Danielle comes over and fires James he storms off, then OP comes from the back with a name tag that says "Manager" and fires Danielle, then James comes out with a name tag that says "Director" and so on until the person leaves.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for letting my sisters kids destroy the living room?

quote:

My sister (28) and her husband came home to with my parents and I (21) for the holiday. Her kids are 8 and 6.

a couple of nights before thanksgiving, my sister went to a concert with her husband, and left the kids with my parents. My parents decided they wanted to go to a dinner party, and they just left in the evening and left the kids there with me.

I was not asked to watch the kids, I hate kids. They just told me they were going out and left them in the living room. My sisters kids are at an age where they’re loud and hyperactive together. You can’t just put a movie on for a time and leave them. I’m in my last year of school, and I actually didn’t go hang out with some friends so that I could study. So when I noticed this, I just left them alone.

I went to my room to study and locked the door.

I heard a lot of banging, screaming and general ruckus, I checked on them to be sure they weren’t injuring themselves, but I let them do as they please. I wasn’t asked to watch them.

They ended up causing quite a bit of damage, they broke the TV (I think by throwing stuff at it). They got into my moms oil paints and smeared them everywhere. Oil paint was on the curtains, walls, sofa, rugs, ceiling everywhere. They had dog food thrown everywhere?? (Luckily the dog himself was with me) water and juice spilled everywhere in the kitchen. It was a wreck. Honestly, I laughed.

However, get this, my mom expects me to pay for the damages! She said I was an rear end in a top hat for not just studying down stairs and watching the kids. I WAS NOT ASKED TO WATCH THEM. I told her she should ask my sister for the money. They are her kids. My whole family has been fighting about this for several days. Whatever the outcome , I want to show them this thread to prove that I am not responsible for my sisters banshees settle the familial dispute by showing them this thread.

But on the off chance, AITA?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Lucrece posted:

I'm going to say ESH only because you shouldn't leave kids that young quite that unsupervised for their own safety, but the kids weren't hurt and everyone else was way bigger assholes for just dropping the kids on someone with no warning, no choice, and no preparation/instructions.

Like, with kids that hyper OP couldn't just 'study downstairs to keep an eye on them', they're going to be a wreck if they're not being engaged properly. OP should have been asked if they could watch the kids, and honestly probably offered money for babysitting.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Lucrece posted:

OP is probably an rear end in a top hat, but she's not the rear end in a top hat in terms of being responsible for the kids.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Lucrece posted:

The parents shouldn't have forced OP to be the babysitter when they were supposed to do it instead. They are the biggest assholes here. But OP is being a spiteful dick when they could have done literally anything else besides leaving the kids unsupervised.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

DemoneeHo posted:

The parents shouldn't have forced OP to be the babysitter when they were supposed to do it instead. They are the biggest assholes here. But OP is being a spiteful dick when they could have done literally anything else besides leaving the kids unsupervised.

Yeah, that's how I see this one and what basically everything on reddit thinks too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DemoneeHo posted:

Yeah surveying the damage and being like "hahaha that owns" is funny but also confirms that OP isn't in the right. Parents aren't in the right either, obviously

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for saying, " Ok boomer" to my kid?

quote:

He thought he was a clever lil smart rear end when he said it to me the first time cause it did trigger me to get pissed off. I tried to explain to him that I'm only 37 and much too young to be a boomer. His grandpa is even too young to be a boomer. But that just made him feel even like more of a smart rear end. I guess the fact that I literally am not a boomer makes it even more funny to him.

I didn't really try to give him any reaction for a while after that when he said it cause I don't want him to think he can get under my skin with that stupid phrase all the kids feel so cool over these days. But he just kept doing it with that poo poo eating grin as if he just KNOWS it annoys me.

So a few days ago he said some stupid poo poo, ( he's 12 and kids around that age have no shortage of stupid poo poo) so instead of being the nice parent and taking him seriously I just said, " ok boomer".

His mouth dropped open. He looked so baffled. Then he tried explaining how it doesn't make sense for me to say that to him. I just laughed.

Since then I've said it a few more times to him and it just makes him get so pissed off.

Good news is that now suddenly it's not so cool for him to say it to me and I will keep saying it to him until I'm sure he's completely done being a smart rear end with that phrase.

Not sure if I'm an rear end in a top hat for this but he sure thinks I am!

I don't really care about this particular story, but the cowardly mods over at the subreddit have gone too far:

Mod posted:

FYI, the phrase "OK, Boomer" is a slur that violates rule #1 of this sub and is not allowed in comments here. The fact that the OP used it in the story is in no way a blanket pass to use it in this discussion. Anyone in this discussion who uses this slur on anyone else or dismisses anyone else's argument with this term will be banned without warning.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Motronic posted:

That works for some kind of travel, but not so well for two week business trips to nordic countries in the wintertime.

You have a long way to go grasshopper.

e: though if you're flying business class you dont have to worry about luggage space. my experience is all flying in steerage with all the other irish

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 4, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

DemoneeHo posted:

I don't really care about this particular story, but the cowardly mods over at the subreddit have gone too far:

If that mod post wasn't smothered in "ok, boomer" comments I have lost all faith in the internet.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Ok boomers

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA for wearing a shirt about my fake boobs?

The shirt reads: "Yes, these are fake. The real ones tried to kill me!" with a graphic of the pink breast cancer ribbon.

that shirt is great and rules but idk about wearing it to school regardless of other people's indiscretions

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

FoolyCharged posted:

If that mod post wasn't smothered in "ok, boomer" comments I have lost all faith in the internet.

The mod post got locked so no one can directly reply to it.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

It got locked so no one can directly reply to it.

if someone makes a throwaway to post a meta-wibta about this you would be my hero, though that'd also mean touching the poop

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

In what hell world is “ok boomer” a slur?

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

OMFG Reddit users are SUCH MASSIVE DORKS. That Mod comment made me physically embarrassed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Dazerbeams posted:

The one where all the people affected by it are in positions of power and are petty fucks.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if someone makes a throwaway to post a meta-wibta about this you would be my hero, though that'd also mean touching the poop
Enjoy it while you can

AITA for misappropriating the term "slur"?

quote:

I get criticized a lot for my political beliefs and I'm always being told certain words I use are off-limits. I feel like, if people can tell me some things are wrong to say, I should get to do the same to them. I decided to start telling people that "OK Boomer" is a slur, because I'm sick of people saying that to me.

So tell me: AITA for diluting a term for words meant to terrorize marginalized groups just so people would stop telling me I'm terrible?

Edit: I hope I get banned for awfulbragging

Problem Sleuth
Apr 12, 2011

WELCOME TO THE NEW FUTURE
drat they deleted that quick

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Problem Sleuth posted:

drat they deleted that quick

Well as you can see I violated two (2) rules. That's nearly ten percent of the rules!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Never not punch a Nazi, never not tell Boomers to eat poo poo

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for reporting a male coworker to HR for drunkenly telling me he’s in love with me?

quote:

So the nature of my job requires me to have the contact information of the people I work with, including their cell numbers.

My coworker Evan and I have become pretty good friends since I started working there. We’re both guys in our twenties.

This last weekend I was just hanging out at home with my girlfriend watching movies. It was Saturday night around 2am when I get a call from Evan. Thinking that something happened, I pick up.

He’s sobbing on the phone and it takes me a couple minutes to calm him down. Eventually he blurts out that he’s in love with me and wishes that I would feel the same about him.

I just went quiet and said that it’s probably best if he just goes to bed and I hung up.

The next day (Sunday) he sent me a big long text message apologizing and saying how embarrassed he was. I never answered.

On Monday I went to HR and told them (and showed the texts) what happened and that I just wanted it on the record so that it couldn’t come back to haunt me somehow.

I’ve been avoiding him as much as possible and today he tried to talk to me on my way to the washroom and I just told him that I don’t think we should talk anymore and if he kept trying to talk to me I would put in a formal complaint.

I didn’t even know he was gay but I also don’t know if I did the right thing. I went into work super angry on Monday and I don’t know if I overreacted or not. At the same time, I don’t want to be accused of homophobia or some other bullshit and having this come back at me.

That being said: AITA?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dazerbeams posted:

Seriously the first time I saw people suggesting that ok boomer was a slur I thought it was a joke but since then I learned that apparently feel really sincere about it and it's so profoundly stupid

It's the equivalent of an old person faking a heart attack when someone says "Sure thing gramps"

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Ok boomer has been completely driven into the ground and lost all meaning already. I laughed and liked it the first day I saw it, but when my 11 year old cousin hit me (a 30 year old millenial) with it, I knew it was dead already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Ok boomer has been completely driven into the ground and lost all meaning already. I laughed and liked it the first day I saw it, but when my 11 year old cousin hit me (a 30 year old millenial) with it, I knew it was dead already

ok, boomer.