Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlobalMegaCorp
Jan 8, 2004

Is there some reason they haven’t deposed Lev Parnas yet? He seems to be begging for the opportunity and has some crazy stuff to reveal. You think they’d want to get it done before he changes his mind or ends up with an acute case of polonium poisoning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

GlobalMegaCorp posted:

Is there some reason they haven’t deposed Lev Parnas yet? He seems to be begging for the opportunity and has some crazy stuff to reveal. You think they’d want to get it done before he changes his mind or ends up with an acute case of polonium poisoning

fifth amendment/harm to ongoing prosecution of him

if they want him to talk to Congress, they're going to have to give him some form of immunity. they can't compel him to talk due to his very obvious fifth amendment rights that extend to anything we'd want to know about

they have the power to do this, but it's a complicated decision and there's a lot of behind-the-scenes vetting and negotiation involved that we won't know about until it happens. and there's legit separation of powers concerns -- I know the Barr DOJ is corrupt as poo poo, but granting testimonial immunity will potentially make it much harder for the SDNY to prosecute him, and that is something you want to avoid unless it's totally necessary

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 4, 2019

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The only people testifying tomorrow are legal scholars. 3 for the Dems, 1 for the Reps.

What if Obama is one of the legal scholars

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

What if Obama is one of the legal scholars

Then he'd probably say that Trump shouldn't be impeached but they should arrest Schiff in interest of bipartistanship.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

cr0y posted:

What's the key action that keeps me from swearing in my pet cactus as president? The outcome of the electoral college?

This isnt snark, I'm curious where the important step is.

The electors would have to vote for your pet cactus, then a judge would have to administer it the Oath of Office.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Ogmius815 posted:

The Chief Justice doesn’t even have to do it. You could probably have, like, a notary public do it if necessary. Maybe even a rando with no official status at all.

This literally happened. When Harding died, Calvin Coolidge was visiting his parents in backwoods Vermont. His father, a notary, administered the oath.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The electors would have to vote for your pet cactus, then a judge would have to administer it the Oath of Office.

Also, you’d have to prove the cactus was a natural born citizen at least 35 years old.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Killer robot posted:

This literally happened. When Harding died, Calvin Coolidge was visiting his parents in backwoods Vermont. His father, a notary, administered the oath.

Huh, that’s neat. I learned something today.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Killer robot posted:

Remember when Obama was sworn in the second time and Roberts flubbed the oath and everyone was like 'THE GOP WILL SAY HE'S AN ILLEGAL PRESIDENT!!!!!"

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

FilthyImp posted:

Remember when Obama was sworn in the second time and Roberts flubbed the oath and everyone was like 'THE GOP WILL SAY HE'S AN ILLEGAL PRESIDENT!!!!!"

That was the first time.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FilthyImp posted:

Extremely prophetic in hindsight

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Didn't some psychopath draw a comic showing Robert gunning down Obama whilst he was swearing him in?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hunt11 posted:

Didn't some psychopath draw a comic showing Robert gunning down Obama whilst he was swearing him in?

Don't worry, it was just a dream by a black mouthpiece character.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Killer robot posted:

LBJ was also initially sworn in by a local federal judge and then later publicly sworn in by the Chief Justice just to prevent any dispute over the legitimacy.

Also as the first and only POTUS sworn in on an airplane, I'm sure you could find some bizarre sovereign citizen argument that it only makes him the president of birds and small helicopters.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 4, 2019

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gnumonic posted:

We probably should have some mechanism to redo an election if there's blatant evidence of hacking but I have no idea which institution you could trust with making that determination. The temptation to abuse that power for partisan ends would be overwhelming.

Most western countries do have such an institution, with courts making the final decision. Of course, with judges being political appointees or elected in the US, this is a bigger problem.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 4, 2019

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Ogmius815 posted:

Also, you’d have to prove the cactus was a natural born citizen at least 35 years old.

President Saguaro 2020! Make America Prickly Again!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

DandyLion posted:

President Saguaro 2020! Make America Prickly Again!

But then a smear campaign about his hallucinogenic cousins would derail everything and he would spin off CactusTV.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

https://www.twitch.tv/washingtonpost

starts at 10am est

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

The Republicans' lawyer of choice has come up with one hell of an argument (courtesy of the CNN liveblog):

quote:

"I get it. You are mad. The President is mad. My Democratic friends are mad. My Republican friends are mad. My wife is mad. My kids are mad. Even my dog is mad . . . and Luna is a golden doodle and they are never mad. We are all mad and where has it taken us? Will a slipshod impeachment make us less mad or will it only give an invitation for the madness to follow in every future administration?"

"This is not how an American president should be impeached. For two years, members of this Committee have declared that criminal and impeachable acts were established for everything from treason to conspiracy to obstruction. However, no action was taken to impeach. Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the House announced it would begin an impeachment inquiry and push for a final vote in just a matter of weeks."
"and another thing: im mad. please put in the newspaper that i got mad."

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I can't wait for Jerry Nadler to old man yell at somebody.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/AndrewBatesNC/status/1202213607649546240?s=19

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Killer robot posted:

in hindsight maybe we should have invalidated coolidge's presidency

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

quote:

"This is not how an American president should be impeached. For two years, members of this Committee have declared that criminal and impeachable acts were established for everything from treason to conspiracy to obstruction. However, no action was taken to impeach. Suddenly, just a few weeks ago, the House announced it would begin an impeachment inquiry and push for a final vote in just a matter of weeks."
So Democrats are simultaneously taking too much and too little time to impeach?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Well they should've made up their mind before the President tried to blackmail Ukraine for his own political benefit!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord Hydronium posted:

So Democrats are simultaneously taking too much and too little time to impeach?

Oh poo poo GOP analysts are reading this forum :derp:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Oh mannnnnn about to sit down with breakfast and listen in

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Well this is off to a dumb start

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

oxsnard posted:

Discussion > Debate & Discussion > Impeachment Thread: 'Well this is off to a dumb start'

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sensenbrenner is my fat gently caress of a rep. I can't stand his voice.

Though I did get him to red-faced yell at me at a town hall in 2016, so that's somethin.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

oxsnard posted:

I just got home from dropping off my kids, what horrors did I miss?

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

zonohedron posted:

quote:

Just seconds after House Judiciary Chair Jerry Nadler gaveled today's hearing into session, a GOP congressman interrupted with an objection.

Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, from Wisconsin, asked for minority hearings on the subject.

"I reserve the right to object," he said.
Nadler had to ask him to repeat himself, too, because his pronunciation was barely intelligible.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

zonohedron posted:

Typical Republican bullshit at the start, now Nadler's opening statement. You didn't miss much.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Right after Nadler started, Wisconsin chud (and human potato) Sensenbrenner immediately interjects with a GOP request for another hearing led by them

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Nadler not messing around.

Oh look, it's Foghorn Leghorn!

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Collins is up... loving idiot

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Dumb gently caress is trying to get angry like Gym Jordan

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

And then as Foghorn Leghorn gets started there's somebody trying to make a parliamentary inquiry, but at least our favorite rooster also shuts it down so he can cluck disapprovingly.

:sigh:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

...is this guy actually worse than Nunes?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
COLLINS IS ANGRY!

ANGRY ABOUT IMPEACHMENT!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

How long is today's hearing set to go for? I've got an hour long meeting soon, and I don't want to miss everything.

Also, it's so crazy to me that all the GOP can muster is to attack the process, but they never try and dispute any of the facts.