Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

poo poo I forgot we're on the internet where the only two responses are unconditional love or passionate hate and always 100% rooted in emotion, thanks for the reminder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Haifisch posted:

Stone is imperial but it's the one form of imperial so dumb that the US stopped using it, so it's only the UK stubbornly clinging to it anymore(afaik).

I'm pretty sure only old stubborn people use stone over here in the UK, like Fahrenheit. I was taught grams/kilograms at school, I have no idea how stones work.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

My Lovely Horse posted:

poo poo I forgot we're on the internet where the only two responses are unconditional love or passionate hate and always 100% rooted in emotion, thanks for the reminder.

You're the one who brought feeder fetish into this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah, cause we're the comic strip thread and it's been a fine tradition of ours to link the stuff artists draw to their own personal leanings, in a more or less joking manner (less: Gilchrist, Holbrook, Rose Is Rose guy with the actual literal established feeder thing; more: how long did it take for Dana Simpson to live down the Raine Dog callbacks and also wasn't there something about shaving).

If you believe what I said was "Max Sarin has a feeder fetish and I hate them" then I'm happy to reconsider my post and think about whether I actually wrote what I meant to, but would also like to invite you to reconsider whether maybe you've misread.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Tiggum posted:

Judge Parker

Whoa, huge slam on Tom Batiuk out of nowhere.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I can't help but be reminded of that time Tiffany gained weight and everyone was acting like she was the fattest cow to ever graze this green earth but I could not for the life of me tell the difference between her character design before and after. I guess in continuity she must still be fat, although that's even harder to notice now than it was before since other characters stopped calling attention to it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The only possible conclusion from the Tiffany art change is that Evans the elder has a fetish for horizontal stretching in Photoshop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

realized as I was typing it that that's almost 100% certainly a thing

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Transmodiar posted:

Charlotte Grote is getting her own comic book - even though Allison continues to pawn off the artwork to lesser talent:

Hey, this is great!

How insensitive can you loving be? The world might end in a few hours and you actually ask what they've done for Thanksgiving?

PetraCore posted:

To me the weird part was her parents proudly treating this as a manipulation on her part they agree with, instead of her being... nice?

Holbrook really doesn't think about the morality of what his characters do at all. As long as they're the "good guys" then they can be as manipulative as they want and he expects us to love them for it. Remember just a few weeks back how that rhino was scouted to be a pro athlete and his lioness girlfriend hated him for it and manipulated him into staying with her by forcing him to choose between her and his dreams.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 12, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 12, 1998)

Garfield Classic (May 12, 1988)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
It's ok to think the art change is a huge disappointment and turn-off without hating the artist or being mad about it.

It's just disappointing because Bad Machinery is one of those rare combinations of great art and writing, and now it's not. in my opinion. It's a preference others may not share, but this thread has never been about butt-kissing compliments only.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 12, 1998)

And he takes the bat out of her hands before saying it :allears:

This strip made me laugh out loud.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Where’s that strip where Kate Beaton makes fun of Allison for drawing all women as models?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Star Wars is fighting a robot with tank feet

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah, cause we're the comic strip thread and it's been a fine tradition of ours to link the stuff artists draw to their own personal leanings, in a more or less joking manner (less: Gilchrist, Holbrook, Rose Is Rose guy with the actual literal established feeder thing; more: how long did it take for Dana Simpson to live down the Raine Dog callbacks and also wasn't there something about shaving).

If you believe what I said was "Max Sarin has a feeder fetish and I hate them" then I'm happy to reconsider my post and think about whether I actually wrote what I meant to, but would also like to invite you to reconsider whether maybe you've misread.

To me it's less whether you like or dislike or have mixed emotions about Max Sarin and more that your vector for expressing it was ragging on the weight of two fictional women who appear completely healthy.

For one thing I think we've had enough, culturally, of people micromanaging the weight of women they've never met and/or don't exist. Second of all, I believe this story takes place after a time-skip and people do lose or gain weight. Lottie' mom in particular is a middle-aged woman, consult Mary Worth for further info on this tumultuous time.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 4, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Modern Arlo and Janis: please god someone gift them a netflix account.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vargo posted:

Wallace

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Apr 14, 1951)

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 5-6, 1986)

Oh poo poo a typewriter that's not being used ironically or in a flashback. I'm Ooooooold!

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 16-17, 2014)

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 4, 2019

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Tiggum posted:

Mary Worth

Zak must be telling the truth here. He's got a reverse Pinocchio thing going with his nose.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

This strip may or may not have inspired me to stealthily add a "help i'm a bug" to one of my sister's school reports that she was typing up, which may or may not have gone unnoticed until it was turned in and graded. (However my attorney has advised me to add that this is not an admission of guilt, and it may well have been written by some bug. How strange.)

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

readingatwork posted:

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 16-17, 2014)

This is great.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Anubis was always the coolest of the Egyptian pantheon.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Haifisch posted:

Stone is imperial but it's the one form of imperial so dumb that the US stopped using it, so it's only the UK stubbornly clinging to it anymore(afaik).

The US has also stopped using Rods, chains, furlongs and links which are length measurements. Acres and miles are actually derived from chains and furlongs and are much rounder when expressed in those terms, an acre is 10 square chains instead of 4,840 square yards and a mile is 80 chains or 8 furlongs instead of 5,280 feet.

Its still used by the survey service I think but that's it, there's quite a few measurements which are used only by one specific industry and are complete non-sense outside of it, like cords in firewood sales which is 128 cubic feet of wood, or Gross tons in ship building which is how much tons of cotton bales your ship could hold if you were using it as a cargo ship.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Archyduchess posted:

To me it's less whether you like or dislike or have mixed emotions about Max Sarin and more that your vector for expressing it was ragging on the weight of two fictional women who appear completely healthy.

For one thing I think we've had enough, culturally, of people micromanaging the weight of women they've never met and/or don't exist. Second of all, I believe this story takes place after a time-skip and people do lose or gain weight. Lottie' mom in particular is a middle-aged woman, consult Mary Worth for further info on this tumultuous time.
It's my own fault for firing off that post with no further consideration than I give any of my posts, but I do wish I could have avoided giving the impression I'd argue against any of that while still getting my point, such as it was, across.

if I'm gonna actually rag on anything it's the overexaggerated posing and Pixar faces that leave no room for subtlety or ambiguity but folks have done a good job of that already.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I kind of wonder how many people in this argument are aware that Sarin was the artist for all of Giant Days, because, like, she is not a new thing (also a national treasure).

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Elysiume posted:

e: I feel like I should say that I like the art but the offset height scale amused me
Just wanted to say thank you for this.

Heart

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rand Brittain posted:

I kind of wonder how many people in this argument are aware that Sarin was the artist for all of Giant Days, because, like, she is not a new thing (also a national treasure).

Well not all, Lissa Treimann was the original artist, but Sarin drew the bulk of the series.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

My Lovely Horse posted:

Pixar faces that leave no room for subtlety or ambiguity but folks have done a good job of that already.

I get what you're going for but I'm not sure Pixar is who you're looking for here

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rand Brittain posted:

Where’s that strip where Kate Beaton makes fun of Allison for drawing all women as models?

So this sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. It looks like Kate did do a SGR guest strip, but it's not about John's art, and it's been black holed; here's where it was: http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20081007. I was able to find a transcript of it on some strange search engine; you can read the text of the strip here: if you're curious http://www.ohnorobot.com/index.php?s=kate+beaton&Search=Search&comic=257.

However, I did find the comic I think you're talking about. Here's a link: http://scarygoround.com/sgr/ar.php?date=20081006

And the comic itself:

(I can totally see why you thought it was Kate).

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Mister Olympus posted:

Wait what the hell happened to the stolen baby
If you mean the one in ST, he was introduced to the king and then never mentioned again.

Nancy

I'll probably stop posting classic Nancy after this thread, since there's lot of repeats.

Dustin

Mandrake

Kennel fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 4, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Kennel posted:

I'll probably stop posting classic Nancy after this thread, since there's lot of repeats.

Aww :( I do like classic Nancy, but I'm glad you've been posting it in the first place.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Oh, okay, it was actually Vera Brosgol, another cool webcomics lady.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

What is the joke in that last classic Nancy?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

What is the joke in that last classic Nancy?

I think she wants to get her money's worth out of paying to use the scale.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Kennel posted:

If you mean the one in ST, he was introduced to the king and then never mentioned again.

Is that the case in the book too? They abduct a kid and he gets Chuck Cunningham'd?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wow, gently caress you, you horrible little poo poo.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The Bloop posted:

It's ok to think the art change is a huge disappointment and turn-off without hating the artist or being mad about it.

It's just disappointing because Bad Machinery is one of those rare combinations of great art and writing, and now it's not. in my opinion. It's a preference others may not share, but this thread has never been about butt-kissing compliments only.
Change just makes me uneasy in general, but if the writing is good enough I'll probably get used to a different style.

Elysiume posted:

e: I feel like I should say that I like the art but the offset height scale amused me
This, for example, I could get used to.

F Minus

Mark Trail

"What did that mother fucker say about me"

Non-Voldemorted Mary Worth

"I could update your AARP membership, or put tennis balls on your walker."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

"Yes, it's that big place where airplanes take off and land, remember?"