Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

stev posted:

Considering they were only a few years apart OG Futurama and Nu Futurama are so drastically different in tone it's crazy. It suddenly became just another animated show that felt the need to cram a parody of a hot button current issue into every episode (usually a year after it's relevant).

And the true sad episodes are the bee one and the clover one. The dog one was ruined by memes.

Oh gently caress you I forgot about the bee one. ;_;

gently caress's sake

Sammy Hagar had a hit in 1984 with "I Can't Drive 55.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

While writing the song, Hagar was struggling with one of the lines. He called Van Halen frontman David Lee Roth for advice on the lyrics. Roth gave Hagar two lines during a phone conversation.
After touring for the 1984 album, Van Halen split with frontman David Lee Roth.
Van Halen later replaced Roth with Sammy Hagar in 1985 and went on to release 5150.
During the supporting tour for 5150, Van Halen would cover several of Hagar's single releases during shows, one of them being I Can't Drive 55.

Oscar Romeo Romeo fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

CoolCab posted:

comedy is harder than tragedy so it's always easier to gear down than up

agreed

I think the twist in And The Town Still Turns is the best one at punching me in the gut out of nowhere.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Braggart posted:

This is also not a thing to be ashamed of, and gently caress anyone who tries to tell you otherwise! :glomp:

I was raised on a steady diet of "don't be so sensitive" so it's hard to shake a sense of shame around it, but I'm getting better at accepting it and myself :)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

RockyB posted:

I was going to make a guillotine joke, but I was beaten like a prisoner in a Boer war concentration camp.

Have some #MoggMentum

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202268280003715072

lol Jacob, you can run and you can hide, but all we have to do is draw attention to something horrific you said in the past, because there are so many to choose from :getin:

I've said that Priti Patel has the air of a villain in a thriller, but JRM is more like a villain in a farce :D

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

marktheando posted:

the dog episode is overrated

Mods

The bee one is probably my favorite emotional Futurama, but the original series finale owns bones

They never should have revived it imho

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 4, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

The bee one was ruined for me because I first caught it at the end.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Deketh posted:

I was raised on a steady diet of "don't be so sensitive" so it's hard to shake a sense of shame around it, but I'm getting better at accepting it and myself :)

If more people were sensitive we'd live in a much better world. People who harden their hearts to the sorrow around them are the kind who make more of it.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

Good for you! It's hard to break our conditioning, but it's definitely possible and worthwhile :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

RockyB posted:

I was going to make a guillotine joke, but I was beaten like a prisoner in a Boer war concentration camp.

Have some #MoggMentum

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/1202268280003715072

God I just make a tight fist instinctively when I hear his voice and see his loving face

I think I hate him more than any of them. Even more than Johnson. Even more than IDS.

OwlFancier posted:

If more people were sensitive we'd live in a much better world. People who harden their hearts to the sorrow around them are the kind who make more of it.

Yeah, wisdom.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Deketh posted:

Might be apocryphal but I remember reading that is used to be considered extremely virtuous to cry and it was demonised as a campaign by factory owners who found that crying workers tended to gain sympathy from fellow workers who would then push back on lovely working conditions, so the capitalist class spent a lot of time and money making it seem gay and girly, in order to discourage it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
The first run of Futurama was perfect. I watch the X-mas episodes every year in December as is tradition, like decorating palm trees and jolly-seeking missiles.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Barry Foster posted:

God I just make a tight fist instinctively when I hear his voice and see his loving face

I do the same but to fist pump when I see Grace Blakely is gracing my ears.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Tesseraction posted:

Might be apocryphal but I remember reading that is used to be considered extremely virtuous to cry and it was demonised as a campaign by factory owners who found that crying workers tended to gain sympathy from fellow workers who would then push back on lovely working conditions, so the capitalist class spent a lot of time and money making it seem gay and girly, in order to discourage it.

I definitely read this same article. It was something about the manliness of weeping

EDIT here it's at

https://aeon.co/essays/whatever-happened-to-the-noble-art-of-the-manly-weep

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I'm sorry but it's just an ok episode. Futurama was already a shadow of its former self by season 4.

Tesseraction posted:

I think ancient greek heroes burst into tears quite a lot, it was considered manly at the time.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

I agree! and appreciate you making that point

Tesseraction posted:

Crikey that's an infuriating concept

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Tesseraction posted:

agreed

I think the twist in And The Town Still Turns is the best one at punching me in the gut out of nowhere.

Blackadder Goes Forth still the best at making you feel how loving pointless WW1 was.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Most of the comments on that JRM-loves-concentration-camps video support Blakely and condemn JRM, but the ones that take the opposing view call her things like "silly woman", "ridiculous female" and "ill-mannered, virtue signalling cow".

I wonder what that's all about.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am a huge Futurama nerd (as big as David X. Cohen is a math nerd) and the bee episode (The Sting) is my most favourite of them all. I love to cry at things and Futurama has plenty of episodes that do that to me. I even will bat for the later series as having some classic episodes in them.

In my eyes it had two separate finales and each one of them ends in the best possible way it could have. I love the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings. That episode is amazingly written, acted and funny.

‘Meanwhile’ being the true very last episode is for me the ultimate culmination of all those fry and leela episodes and what the heart of the series built up to. It is masterful. That whole show is incredible and I am glad it exists.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

VideoGames posted:

In my eyes it had two separate finales and each one of them ends in the best possible way it could have. I love the Devils Hands are Idle Playthings. That episode is amazingly written, acted and funny.

This is the one that always gets me, it's way easier for me to happy cry and that episode and the ending are absolutely perfect.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

VideoGames posted:

I am a huge Futurama nerd (as big as David X. Cohen is a math nerd) and the bee episode (The Sting) is my most favourite of them all. I love to cry at things and Futurama has plenty of episodes that do that to me. I even will bat for the later series as having some classic episodes in them.

goons always talk about the dog episode yet ignore the superior episode the luck of the fryrish

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Braggart posted:

Most of the comments on that JRM-loves-concentration-camps video support Blakely and condemn JRM, but the ones that take the opposing view call her things like "silly woman", "ridiculous female" and "ill-mannered, virtue signalling cow".

I wonder what that's all about.

I hate that term, "virtue signalling". That and SJW I've heard too many times from the same people that believe themselves enlightened yet are so happy to wildly discredit and dismiss anything of value with a few simple expressions.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

I'm sorry but it's just an ok episode. Futurama was already a shadow of its former self by season 4.

I think ancient greek heroes burst into tears quite a lot, it was considered manly at the time.

Yep. It was held that men could experience a broader and deeper range of emotions than women, who were shallow, emotionally stunted creatures driven mainly by their base urges - especially their sex drive - and so were not to be trusted or allowed too much power.

So basically the reverse of the later gender stereotypes. Obviously just as much based on meaningless :biotruths: but it's good for infuriating people who think these things have some fixed, innate basis to them.

Before the Victorian moral panic about homosexuality it was common for platonic male friends to hold hands in public (especially for soldiers, sailors and other groups with strong fraternal bonds) and there was nothing unusual about addressing such friends as 'dear' or 'love' because, well, they were dear to you and you felt a sort of love for them. Especially after Oscar Wilde's conviction that sort of thing became only for women, girls and other suspiciously emotional beings...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The roman/greek idea that men do literally everything including all the emotions and women might actually be non-sapient is genuinely one of the weirdest things about them compared to the modern period.

Oh that and big willies being bad.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

BalloonFish posted:

Yep. It was held that men could experience a broader and deeper range of emotions than women, who were shallow, emotionally stunted creatures driven mainly by their base urges - especially their sex drive - and so were not to be trusted or allowed too much power.

:smug: Ah but you see, now it's clear that women are too emotional and irrational to be trusted with power, and therefore it's no bad thing that :fuckoff:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

I just convinced a guy to vote labour by saying we would legalise weed. Could happen. Also, I dont feel dirty in the least.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

The roman/greek idea that men do literally everything including all the emotions and women might actually be non-sapient is genuinely one of the weirdest things about them compared to the modern period.

Trousers were outrageously effeminate and only worn by Easterners and those corrupted by eastern ways.

(Greeks thought that anyway. The Romans spent more time campaigning in cold places and met Celts and such who wore them too.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Westerners/northerners surely? Gaulish invention? Positively Iberian.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Jose posted:

goons always talk about the dog episode yet ignore the superior episode the luck of the fryrish

Not just that one (which is truly amazing) but episodes that have moments on that level I would say are Parasites Lost, Time Keeps on Slippin, Leelas Homeworld, The Late Phillip J Fry, The Tip of the Zoidberg, Game of Tones and the ones I have already mentioned. I also think the first film is really, really good too.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Westerners/northerners surely? Gaulish invention? Positively Iberian.

Yeah, I realised that was unclear and edited my post. The Greeks thought trousers were a Persian degeneracy. Of course, they eventually encountered Celts too, when they got invaded by them :D

The Greeks also mocked the Carthaginians for wearing underwear, IIRC.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Yep, Leela's Homeworld has a super sweet ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEwMImXyODM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I guess technically celts could be eastern if you count galatians.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I guess technically celts could be eastern if you count galatians.

Yeah but that was way after the Greco-Persian Wars when the stereotypes got big, and in any case the Galatians raided through Macedon to get to Asia Minor. The Greeks were well aware they came from the north ;)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

VideoGames posted:

Not just that one (which is truly amazing) but episodes that have moments on that level I would say are Parasites Lost, Time Keeps on Slippin, Leelas Homeworld, The Late Phillip J Fry, The Tip of the Zoidberg, Game of Tones and the ones I have already mentioned. I also think the first film is really, really good too.

The first film is good to great, the other 3 kind of stunk though

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well at least we know something about the people writing the history.

Braggart posted:

The Greeks thought trousers were a Persian degeneracy.
They were right.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

They were right.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

From what I remember the romans/greeks thought big willies were hilarious but also indicative of you being stupid and probably foreign. Which is why the surviving statues that the puritans didn't lop the knobs off all have very petite willies, as is proper for a civilized man.

The romans also gifted to the world the flying erect cock with legs and a tail that is also a cock also its own, also erect, cock between the legs. In bronze. With bells on.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OwlFancier posted:

The romans also gifted to the world the flying erect cock with legs and a tail that is also a cock also its own, also erect, cock between the legs. In bronze. With bells on.

You saying yours doesn't look like that?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Feldegast42 posted:

The first film is good to great, the other 3 kind of stunk though

I just had to search what the other three even were. Bender's Game was so loving awful I wiped it from my memory entirely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Orange Devil posted:

You saying yours doesn't look like that?

It doesn't have as many bells on and one of the wings is bigger than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Crying chat, I didn't used to be able to cry, even when I wanted to, needed to. Nothing to do with repression or anything, I just got a hot feeling behind my eyes and a sinking feeling in my gut.

Then, yeah, flash forward to last year and I'm riding a little rental bike around Berlin and each one's given a little name tag, so my friends back home would be all "how's starshine today" or whatever and I'd send them a recording of the bell ringing or something daft. Then it came to the end of the holiday and I had to lock her up and gently caress me, I started bawling like someone had killed my pets, except laughing at the same time because I knew it was loving ridiculous, over saying goodbye to a rental bike! And that was when I knew I'd made good life choices.

It's good though, I also get properly happy when I'm happy, angry about the things I should be angry about, and it's all motivating. Sadness can be paralyzing but I wouldn't trade it to be an emotionless husk again.