Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

nite_moogle posted:

He's definitely not a waste if you're playing Imperial or Crimson Fists, both of which have relic power fists that are very good. The general argument for a Thunder Hammer on a Smash Captain is that you're already sinking enough points in between the model and jump pack that the 31 point tax to make sure the job gets done is worth paying.

Ooh yeah, on paper with the fist of vengeance (I am indeed playing crimson fists) this guy is a crunchy lil mini marine. I can't wait to put him back together and get him properly painted!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What loadout is the most fun for a Flyrant?

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

JackMann posted:

Tossing this back up. I can't use Forgeworld models, as I have to order the models in-store.

:sever:

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

For_Great_Justice posted:

Sucks losing the mek on bike for mobile force field. Same with the pain boy. At least I won't be forced to use the piece of crap War trike boss. I'd sell the army first.

Still might losing the support bikes since the boss bike and whatever else will be easily shot to death.

Really sucks losing the lord and sorcerer on bikes. I really loved having that as a death star combo. I could maybe slot in a D prince with wings but he's slower compared to bikes.

It does kinda suck but at least deepstriking one in at the right place and time can yield the same effect. Mainly it sucks losing the toughness

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Thankfully, these rules are only for this contest. For regular games, they allow FW, third party, proxies and kitbashes.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
More sisters done

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!

Wizard posted:

It does kinda suck but at least deepstriking one in at the right place and time can yield the same effect. Mainly it sucks losing the toughness

For the Lord yeah as once the bikes are in range he only needs to be so close.

One of my preferred strats was to have a sorc on bike following to put Miasma and Prescience on the bikes. To do this now its either a sorc with a pack or two D princes since they do 1 spell per turn outside of 1k sons though I may be wrong.

It just looked better to have a mob of bikes than bikes plus rando jump guys trailing behind.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008
The smolder on that flamer base is :chefkiss:.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

nite_moogle posted:

10 Intercessors for sure, probably with Stalkers if you're using the multi-part kit (if not, standard bolt rifles are still decent). Grav Captain is a solid first pick. You will also want a Lieutenant of some sort for your second HQ to get to the minimum Battalion size. The third troops pick to get to a Battalion can also be 5 more Intercessors since none of the other Troops choices use Heavy weapons and won't benefit from the doctrine bonus as effectively. I think there's now agreement about the value that 5 Infiltrators bring in protecting yourself from deep strike so that's a good place to mix it up.

As Iron Hands, your first fun time pick should almost certainly be a Redemptor Dreadnought with the gatling cannon. It's maybe not the Very Best dreadnought pick but it's anti-horde which you'll need if you are leaning on Stalker bolt rifles for your Intercessors, the kit is very pose-able and it's a cool centerpiece model, and also you can give it a warlord trait. Picking up a second one later on and adding an eventual Repulsor presents a lot of high-toughness targets that can present target confusion for your opponent.

The other Usual Suspects for a good IH lists that are likely to still be very good after a 2019 points adjustment PDF (which I'm still convinced is coming) will be Eliminators, Suppressors, Ferrios, a Librarian, and a Repulsor Executioner. Eliminators with Bolt Rifles are relatively cheap and the rest of your army is likely to lack the maneuverability to snipe out backline characters otherwise; I think they work best with 2 units (which also makes a unit of 5 Infiltrators good friends). Suppressors in most lists are weird because they are high maneuverability with Heavy weapons, but since you're Iron Hands you can scoot & shoot with them very effectively. Ferrios is just ridiculous all around, and a Librarian has some good powers out of the IH specific discipline. The Executioner is always a valid pick just because that main gun is super strong and Vengeance of the Machine Spirit means even if it does soak a ton of fire you aren't picking it up without getting at least two good shots off. The Thunderfire cannon is insane right now but it'll be at the top of the list for any points adjustments so I wouldn't bank as heavily on it, and also it's finecast. Flyers are also super good right for IH now but are probably also on the hit list for points adjustments and they aren't the easiest models to work with either.

All right, sounds like a solid plan. Ferrios is definitely my pick for the last two weeks when I get access to named characters. I've already gotten permission to use him, even though I bought the kit before the contest period.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

richyp posted:

More sisters done

Excellent colour choice with the blue robes and white hair and snow bases.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
richyp, how does he do it!?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

richyp posted:

More sisters done

You get more done in a day than I do in a month. And it all looks phenomenal.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
It's a fantastic style that works so wonderfully for putting out minis extremely quickly that look fantastic at any distance you'd actually normally view them at. If you zoom on sure you'll see some flaws but who cares? Bold colors and strong highlights and great use of OSL/glows, I think so much of the strength of it comes from his ability to place highlights where they add the most "pop".

Also excellent attention paid to the basing on every single miniature he does, really ties everything together.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

JackMann posted:

It's not as bad as we thought. The Warboss on Warbike is staying, he's just a Forgeworld kit now. The big loss is Big Mek on Warbike going away. However, that's not as huge a loss as the regular Big Mek with KFF is sticking around. Bike Mek was even better, but we can still work with the footslogging version, and a lot of people were anyway to save on points.

I'm bummed because the Defftrike was the perfect opportunity for GW to release a multikit that could be a boss, mek, or painboy on it.

richyp posted:

More sisters done

These are great, your style reminds me of cell-shaded animation.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I’m considering buying army painters demonic yellow rattlecan as base coat for my upcoming imperial fists, anyone got any experience with that?

I hoping to save time brush painting as little actual yellow as possible, and getting a smooth yellow coat via rattle can and work from there with wash and detailing. I was originally thinking of the GW spray averland sunset, but they don’t seem to produce that anymore, so don’t want to start using that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I’m considering buying army painters demonic yellow rattlecan as base coat for my upcoming imperial fists, anyone got any experience with that?

I hoping to save time brush painting as little actual yellow as possible, and getting a smooth yellow coat via rattle can and work from there with wash and detailing. I was originally thinking of the GW spray averland sunset, but they don’t seem to produce that anymore, so don’t want to start using that.

I'm not an expert on it but I understand the demonic yellow spray is a bit insipid and might not give you the finish you want. Averland wasn't awesome either. Give the army painter can a go on something you don't mind wrecking and get the opacity right. You might need to spray multiple times for a solid yellow base.

Also if you want to tool around try priming in yellow, but also grab a small light brown primer. Light brown is a cool base for yellow and will likely make your final yellow more dense.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What loadout is the most fun for a Flyrant?

The most fun happens to also be one of the “best” builds: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Rending Claws, Devourers with Brainleech Worms, and Toxin Sacs. It’s a great generalist fight that can pick off infantry on its way into a scrap and the MRCs are fantastic for shredding just about anything. It doesn’t get many attacks, but it hits often and rerolling wounds helps a ton to proc the 4D hits.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Real talk, think about an airbrush if it's in the budget, nothing will give you a smoother base coat of exactly the color you want.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Cinara posted:

Real talk, think about an airbrush if it's in the budget, nothing will give you a smoother base coat of exactly the color you want.

I've never regretted forking out for my airbrush. Went straight to a H&S Silverline and while I'm not an expert with it the base coats and basic highlights you come out of the gate with are something else.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea I bought a Badger Krome back in 2011 and am now at the point where I am looking at buying a 2nd one for detail work, either a Iwata Hi-Line or a H&S Infinity. It has quickly become a core part of my painting process, and for an army like marines it will speed up your painting an absurd amount. You will never look at those giant flat panels on vehicles the same way after you airbrush your first one.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
There should be a support group for people who used to try painting vehicles with a tank brush

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Hencoe painted his Warlord with a brush.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

adamantium|wang posted:

There should be a support group for people who used to try painting vehicles with a tank brush

It's weird that whenever I think about painting vehicles my brain still fires up all the dread feelings but when I'm actually doing it I love it now.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

JBP posted:

It's weird that whenever I think about painting vehicles my brain still fires up all the dread feelings but when I'm actually doing it I love it now.

:same: Doesn't help I still have my old frayed tank brush looking at me from my paintbrush pot. Big guy is still good for terrain, but your days of trying to paint Rhinos are long over buddy.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

JBP posted:

richyp, how does he do it!?

I want a richyp paint tutorial.

And rockfish.

And Booley.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

PierreTheMime posted:

The most fun happens to also be one of the “best” builds: Adrenal Glands, Monstrous Rending Claws, Devourers with Brainleech Worms, and Toxin Sacs. It’s a great generalist fight that can pick off infantry on its way into a scrap and the MRCs are fantastic for shredding just about anything. It doesn’t get many attacks, but it hits often and rerolling wounds helps a ton to proc the 4D hits.

Give them the new monstrous size mutation and suddenly they get pretty scary to a lot of things.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Master Twig posted:

Give them the new monstrous size mutation and suddenly they get pretty scary to a lot of things.

Yeah, those new physiologies are pretty sweet. It’s basically double or maybe triple relics and then APs to taste. I’d probably pop that onto the -1 to hit one since it’s just begging to eat all the guns at that point.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Regarding the old Penitent Engines, I'm just now realizing that they're Heavy Flamer / Buzzblade Mortifiers and the new plastic one is the actual Penitent Engine.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I've started a Hive Fleet!

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

moths posted:

Regarding the old Penitent Engines, I'm just now realizing that they're Heavy Flamer / Buzzblade Mortifiers and the new plastic one is the actual Penitent Engine.

The new penitent engines can also have a 2x heavy flamer + 2x buzz blades profile as well, so it seems like the old models could be usable for either. (Provided mortifiers are the same size as penitent engines, I had kinda gotten the impression they were going to be smaller, but I'm not sure where I got that from)

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've started a Hive Fleet!

Definitely a decent time to be a bug. Still not top tables, but good enough and fun. What main fleet or 2-trait variant are you considering?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Floppychop posted:

I'm bummed because the Defftrike was the perfect opportunity for GW to release a multikit that could be a boss, mek, or painboy on it.

Yeah, I was really annoyed that the new buggies were all monopose. It's just so... unorky.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Definitely a decent time to be a bug. Still not top tables, but good enough and fun. What main fleet or 2-trait variant are you considering?

Probably Kraken or Kronos. Or I might cheap out and just do a hybrid. I don't see myself using the traits when the core Hive Fleets are so strong.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Probably Kraken or Kronos. Or I might cheap out and just do a hybrid. I don't see myself using the traits when the core Hive Fleets are so strong.

Yeah, that’s where I’m sitting right now. I played full Kraken since the codex dropped and avoided doing a Kronos detachment, but Symbiostorm is just too good on Exocrines and the general boost is a big draw.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

Yeah, that’s where I’m sitting right now. I played full Kraken since the codex dropped and avoided doing a Kronos detachment, but Symbiostorm is just too good on Exocrines and the general boost is a big draw.

I plan on doing a spearhead detachment of a Kronos Neurothrope, 2 Exocrines, and an acid spewing Tyrannofex riding a Tyrannocyte.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

... Tyrannofex riding a Tyrannocyte.

A Tyrannoducken if you will

ThoraxTheImpaler
Aug 13, 2014

CONDESCENDING
ASSHOLE
Despite still being actively produced by GW the Rhino Primaris and Land Raider Excelsior are legends units. This makes me sad because it removes one of my favorite, silly rules interactions for Space Wolves. RIP Land Raider warlord with a 4++.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Stupid question: Is there a reason why GW doesn't sell the Kasrkin models anymore? I know in the lore, Cadia got destroyed* during 7e, but I don't know when or why they specifically they stopped selling them. I guess the new equivalent are the Tempestus Scions.

* "Cadia broke before the Guard did!"

EDIT: Doing a quick search, I found link to the Cadian Hostile Environment Troops Conversion Set. Is that the same thing? The photo of the original models (?) look like they've got different body armor.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 5, 2019

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

Max Wilco posted:

Stupid question: Is there a reason why GW doesn't sell the Kasrkin models anymore? I know in the lore, Cadia got destroyed* during 7e, but I don't know when or why they specifically they stopped selling them. I guess the new equivalent are the Tempestus Scions.

* "Cadia broke before the Guard did!"

EDIT: Doing a quick search, I found link to the Cadian Hostile Environment Troops Conversion Set. Is that the same thing? The photo of the original models (?) look like they've got different body armor.

IIRC, they are functionally the same thing, with the hostile environment suits being an upgrade pack to create Kasrkin, so in that sense they are the same. In the sense of are these the same actual models, no. The actual Kasrkin models never made it past monopose metals; I don't think they even got a finecast version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Kasrkin are, as far as anything in 8th edition cares, basically identical to Cadian-flavored Tempestus Scions in that they don't have a bespoke unit entry anymore and even if they did they'd be basically identical. The models have been OOP for a while and good luck finding more that aren't recasts. Who knows why; they're some of my favorite guard models and I hope GW redoes them someday.