Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Conspiratiorist posted:

Jump Jet heat calculation is weird but what I've determined is:
1 JJ = 11 heat
3 JJ = 21 heat
4 JJ = 26 heat
5 JJ = 31 heat

6 + (5 x Jump)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

What is actually criminal is you don't even mention Breaching Shot and builds designed around it - a weapon with Breaching Shot enjoys an effective 25% damage bonus against targets in Cover and 66% bonus against targets with Bulwark, so it pushes guns that are nominally just 'okay' into fantastic damage dealers.

i don't really use it, so someone else will need to write that. i'd be interested in a guide that was more in-depth than just listing the weapons that pack a lot of damage into a single weapon slot (gauss, any weapon with a 20 in the name).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Haven't played this basically since launch but wanting to jump back in. Any DLCs worth getting?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I almost bankrupted my company to buy an Annihilator and stuff it full of autocannons and uh, lmao, worth it

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Popete posted:

Haven't played this basically since launch but wanting to jump back in. Any DLCs worth getting?

All of them are worth getting if you can get the season pass on sale. Taken together they really flesh out the game.

Buying them all individually at full price is a bit much though.

If you can only bring yourself to buy one DLC, get Flashpoint and play in career mode.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Interesting, but is this actually changing anything? I thought it already was running fullscreen exclusive if you uncheck windowed. It's not borderless windowed, because you can't alt-tab without the game minimizing.

Popete posted:

Yes, though $50 is a bit steep IMO. I feel like the DLCs are more $15 size content than $20. But if you're playing the game now the DLC is good.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol the second Defector mission dropped a reinforcement lance of four around my Zeus

Rip Zeus

Rip everyone

e: Actually no gently caress this I'm out! Don't take Option A any more - the reinforcements spawn with assaults and heavies with +1 initiative skills and full moves on top of you and will annihilate you

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Dec 4, 2019

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
The flashpoint mission you get a raven on is bullshit. I don't get to pilot a single one of my mechs, these mechs it gave me are fit terribly, the ECM ability appears to be a dumb gimmick, and I don't even get my own pilots. Ugh.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol the second Defector mission dropped a reinforcement lance of four around my Zeus

Rip Zeus

Rip everyone

e: Actually no gently caress this I'm out! Don't take Option A any more - the reinforcements spawn with assaults and heavies with +1 initiative skills and full moves on top of you and will annihilate you

I would have thought they would have fixed the missions that spawn enemies on top of you and give them a full turn of loving you up by now.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Frida Call Me posted:

The flashpoint mission you get a raven on is bullshit. I don't get to pilot a single one of my mechs, these mechs it gave me are fit terribly, the ECM ability appears to be a dumb gimmick, and I don't even get my own pilots. Ugh.

Go far left instead of the obvious path, it's much easier. And feel free to wreck all of the mechs you start with, it doesn't affect the story in any way.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

By the time you can put them in assault mechs, I have not found the recoil penalty of the UAC-20 to be crippling. A Guts/Gunnery 10 pilot can basically chain fire a UAC-20 and hit most of the time and the damage output it just horrifying. I actually pulled the Gauss rifle off my Atlas-II because breaching shot with a UAC-20 absolutely ruins enemy mechs.

Though to be fair I found a store selling multiple UAC-20 ++ with 120 damage per shot so I put one on the Atlas-II and one on the Marauder. Being able to reliably called shot 240 damage into a center torso is brutal.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eldragon posted:

I would have thought they would have fixed the missions that spawn enemies on top of you and give them a full turn of loving you up by now.

I'm just glad I remembered the Withdraw button is right there before losing my Annihilator investment lol

When it comes back up I'm loving their lovely little base up instead

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Cease to Hope posted:

Go far left instead of the obvious path, it's much easier. And feel free to wreck all of the mechs you start with, it doesn't affect the story in any way.

Yeah, it's not that hard a mission. Go far left, sneak up on the turrets using your ECM, wreck the gently caress out of them (the ML javelin works well for this), and then retreat backwards into the area you approached the base from. The enemy mechs will start coming for you. Kite them out and start killing them, and make sure you thwack those LRM carriers quickly. If the enemy can't see you at all they'll bum rush where the ECM is, so I find it actually helps a bit to let them see one person a turn. I had good luck running my (now very overheated post killing turrets) javelin into the middle of them to just distract them with a high evasion target and grab the occasional back shot.

It plays different from the norm, but it's not all that challenging once you get a handle on how ECM affects it.

Edit: also as far as I can tell the raven that you get after the mission is - as far as the game is concerned - completely unconnected to the one in the mission. I think it has to survive, but feel free to get it beat up if thats what it takes. It is very poorly armored, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Raven intro mission is the worst mission possible for the Raven, it works much better literally everywhere else where things aren't in walking distance of sensor locking it to death from the moment it starts

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Azathoth256 posted:

The 25x5 snub++ is basically 5 medium lasers duct-taped together with the heat of 3. It's 6 tons instead of 5, but you get some extra stability damage/range as well. I'd be happy to use it even if they scaled it back to +5 damage.

Which is really nice on the Warhammer variant that only has 4 energy hardpoints because while MLs might be theoretically great, they're not very efficient in terms of hardpoint usage.

Also, though more about TAGs. Assuming you're using the +20% damage one, they break even damage-wise (compared to an ML) if you're doing 125 damage from follow-up sources. However, it's heat-free and also increases the damage of some high impact shots, which can increase blow-through. It pushes some weapons into headcapper status iirc. I think they're worth packing, especially on a multishot mech, basically once you've got mostly mediums+ up until the phase when everyone is able to one-shot a mech per round. That is, it's good for most of the game if you can get a few, and is even better on very hot mechs or multishot mechs. I rarely notice the impact of one more MLas but the follow-up shots definitely help ensure that I can down a mech quickly.

Narcs aren't anywhere near as good. A total of 5 tons for the launcher and two tons of ammo gives you 12 shots, which is much less bang for your buck and is also less likely to be useful unless you're running a fuckton of LRM boats, which never seems worthwhile. That's heavier than a SRM6, which means you break even damage-wise somewhere a touch under 250 damage of followup shots.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cease to Hope posted:

Go far left the long way around instead of the obvious path, it's much easier.

This is good advice for every mission in the game, and the one thing I think I'm annoyed by most often. When you fist set down on a map and look at the terrain and the objective markers for where your target is, the answer for how to approach is always to avoid the path that looks simple or tactically superior.

The direct path between you and them? The enemy will be set up on the other side of the big empty coverless area.
A good hill where you can get elevation bonuses? The reinforcement squad is sitting on top of it.
The well-marked road that's inviting you to walk down it? It's a trap.

The lovely-looking zone that you look at and say "that'll take 5 extra minutes to walk through, has no tactical advantages, and would be a bad place to get caught if the bad guys are there"? That's the best route. The correct answer is always to find the direction that looks good and do the opposite.

I can't live without jump jets just because they make avoiding map bullshit so much easier.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
And then you go around the obvious path and reinforcements spawn directly behind you with a free turn. No thanks.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I usually don't take jets anymore just because so many levels have 4v12s now that the armor feels mandatory to not have your multi-million dollar weapon investments explode now

I only withdraw if I absolutely have to, like that hosed up reinforcement spawn in Defector that was going to cap my Atlas and Zeus (whatever with that one but still)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I take jump jets precisely because the fastest way to kill things is either get right on their face and drill through, get to their side and mass fire flank, or get behind them and delete.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Deptfordx posted:

Well. My shiny new SSD and an extra 8Gb of Ram arrives tommorow, so here's hoping load times get a little more bearable.

Loading for missions is usually five to ten from my experience.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With two UAC10s and two AC10s my 10/10/10/10 pilot is headshotting a mech every use of precision shot

I don't want to have one attack me ever

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

With two UAC10s and two AC10s my 10/10/10/10 pilot is headshotting a mech every use of precision shot

I don't want to have one attack me ever

I picked up a Marauder last night, and I'm rolling in salvage now.

Also, my punchbot doesn't want to hear anything about how sucky arm mods are.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Klyith posted:

This is good advice for every mission in the game, and the one thing I think I'm annoyed by most often. When you fist set down on a map and look at the terrain and the objective markers for where your target is, the answer for how to approach is always to avoid the path that looks simple or tactically superior.

The direct path between you and them? The enemy will be set up on the other side of the big empty coverless area.
A good hill where you can get elevation bonuses? The reinforcement squad is sitting on top of it.
The well-marked road that's inviting you to walk down it? It's a trap.

The lovely-looking zone that you look at and say "that'll take 5 extra minutes to walk through, has no tactical advantages, and would be a bad place to get caught if the bad guys are there"? That's the best route. The correct answer is always to find the direction that looks good and do the opposite.

I can't live without jump jets just because they make avoiding map bullshit so much easier.

This is like every IRL military exercise I participated in. The OPFOR always does cheap unrealistic garbage tactics and the textbook answer is always a terrible trap by design.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Keltar posted:

Loading for missions is usually five to ten from my experience.

That's pretty nuts. What are you running?

I think the game might be surprisingly CPU reliant. Is that common with Unity games? I recently upgraded and noticed it clicked along a bit better in loading. I also got faster RAM (although the same amount) at the same time so that might have something to do with it too.

I also think there's a memory leak (or something) in there somewhere. I've noticed that the longer I play the more loading slows down. I make sure to quit every few hours.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Cyrano4747 posted:

That's pretty nuts. What are you running?

I think the game might be surprisingly CPU reliant. Is that common with Unity games? I recently upgraded and noticed it clicked along a bit better in loading. I also got faster RAM (although the same amount) at the same time so that might have something to do with it too.

I also think there's a memory leak (or something) in there somewhere. I've noticed that the longer I play the more loading slows down. I make sure to quit every few hours.

I got a good system. 9900K, 2080 ti FTW3, 32 gigs of Ram, NVME's and a few SDD's.

The game is demanding, and you might be right on the leak. The game seems to be more demanding than other games I play strangely enough. Games like the Witcher 3 don't tax the system so much.

Timed it, yeah ten seconds on the loading for a mission.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 5, 2019

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

This is like every IRL military exercise I participated in. The OPFOR always does cheap unrealistic garbage tactics and the textbook answer is always a terrible trap by design.

I mean yes and no? With the rare exception of a base defense or I guess an attack and defend, you are always the aggressor: opfor has presumably already been in the area for a while and would have identified the most tactically advantageous points. The AI should be in a defensible position, imo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GHOST_BUTT posted:

I mean yes and no? With the rare exception of a base defense or I guess an attack and defend, you are always the aggressor: opfor has presumably already been in the area for a while and would have identified the most tactically advantageous points. The AI should be in a defensible position, imo.

The AI always abandons it though

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

The AI always abandons it though

:hmmyes:

This is admittedly a problem

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Keltar posted:

I got a good system. 9900K, 2080 ti FTW3, 32 gigs of Ram, NVME's and a few SDD's.

The game is demanding, and you might be right on the leak. The game seems to be more demanding than other games I play strangely enough. Games like the Witcher 3 don't tax the system so much.

Timed it, yeah ten seconds on the loading for a mission.

Oh ten seconds. My bad. I could have sworn I read "five to ten minutes."

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cyrano4747 posted:

The game is very CPU constrained, I think the way that they store a lot of the data (json files, serialized text) is really bad for performance. Also that's probably why it needs a SSD above anything else, the game is reading from thousands of uncompressed individual files which is hell on HD seeking.

OTOH it makes the game amazingly open and moddable so I forgive them for it.

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Yeah I don't begrudge it from the realism aspect, it's the way that taking 5 extra minutes to stomp around the map edge is very gamey. And takes 5 minutes.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Klyith posted:

Yeah I don't begrudge it from the realism aspect, it's the way that taking 5 extra minutes to stomp around the map edge is very gamey. And takes 5 minutes.

Really you should be able to deploy anywhere on the map and if there are disastrous consequences for dropping under fire them's just the breaks

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Really you should be able to deploy anywhere on the map and if there are disastrous consequences for dropping under fire them's just the breaks

Let me DFA at deployment cowards!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Warmachine posted:

Let me DFA at deployment cowards!

DFOrbit

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Klyith posted:

The game is very CPU constrained, I think the way that they store a lot of the data (json files, serialized text) is really bad for performance. Also that's probably why it needs a SSD above anything else, the game is reading from thousands of uncompressed individual files which is hell on HD seeking.

OTOH it makes the game amazingly open and moddable so I forgive them for it.

Luckily you can get a 1TB NVME SSD for less than a hundred bucks nowadays so at this point it really shouldn't be a problem

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Conspiratiorist posted:

But at that stage of the game your mechs should be overpowered as gently caress compared to the stock shitfits?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Yeah by that point a mission against 4 enemy mechs is a forgone conclusion.

It doesn't really matter how poo poo their fits are if your getting focused fired by large enough group of enemies, because they're combine firepower far exceeds any amount of armor you can bring to the table. I just had a contract where I was pitted against 8 heavy mechs, an assault mech, 2 lrm carries, 1 PPC carrier all at the same time; I lost an assault mech long before I even fire a shot.

That's not fun, that just annoying. It's gotten to the point that's no longer the exception, but the rule.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Back Hack posted:

It doesn't really matter how poo poo their fits are if your getting focused fired by large enough group of enemies, because they're combine firepower far exceeds any amount of armor you can bring to the table. I just had a contract where I was pitted against 8 heavy mechs, an assault mech, 2 lrm carries, 1 PPC carrier all at the same time; I lost an assault mech long before I even fire a shot.

That's not fun, that just annoying. It's gotten to the point that's no longer the exception, but the rule.

I really want to see your builds and mechwarriors, because by this point I was rolling heavily modified mechs and all 10 pilots, which means at least 2-3 mechs are dying per turn assuming I’m facing assaults, potentially 4 for heavies.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Yeah that just doesn't sound right.

Like, the enemy's first contact - which they won't all be able to shoot at - is going to be a fully armored assault with 3~6 inherent hit defense plus 4 evasion pips sitting in Guard+Cover+Bulwark for 60% Damage Reduction.

All the opfor will accomplish is heat themselves up while you move the rest of your mechs in position.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 5, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYy_XJpI6uk

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Dec 5, 2019

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you're having trouble with missions that other people don't seem to have any issues with, one option is to record yourself playing and upload it so that other people can give you strategic and tactical advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The only truly hard mission that is not tonnage constrained is the final mission on the heavy metal flash point.

Walk into that one like a regular mission and lmbo