Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Bongo Bill posted:

2 kind of is. 3 is not, and to me that's the game where the series finally became itself.

Well that's good to know. I'm still gonna do 2 after this, and then move on to 3 afterwards so I have that to look forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
DQ2 doesn't have as much grinding, but it does have poor balance.
DQ3 was great until the last or next to last dungeon, where enemies took far too long to kill all of a sudden.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Ciaphas posted:

I completely spaced on DQ Builders 2 being out. How is it? Specifically, did they fix any of the gripey parts of the first game, like literally all of chapter 4?

The PC version is coming out on my birthday :shobon:

There are a ton of quality-of-life improvements. Some examples off the top of my head:
- no more hammer durability
- giant chests almost right out of the gate
- hub world that you can go back to between areas
- you have a pal who helps with a lot of the combat

There's an enormous demo in the store that carries over to the main game if you decide you like it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Jet Jaguar posted:

There are a ton of quality-of-life improvements. Some examples off the top of my head:
- no more hammer durability
- giant chests almost right out of the gate
- hub world that you can go back to between areas
- you have a pal who helps with a lot of the combat

There's an enormous demo in the store that carries over to the main game if you decide you like it.

Is the end of each chapter still a giant irritating reset button on my recipes?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Is the end of each chapter still a giant irritating reset button on my recipes?
no, see the hub world point - it's thankfully the opposite now!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cool! Guess I'm buying the pc port for my birthday :woop: I'll check out the Switch demo in the meantime.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
The original version of 3 on NES is pretty grindy, but the SNES/GBC remakes cut that by a lot because they give you a lot more free equipment, gold, and whips exist.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah, i almost feel like they left grinding in as a bizarre legacy feature in 1-2, because I’m nearing the end of 3 and even with halfassing vocations (I only reclassed my mage into a sage) I’ve never had to hunker down and grind for levels aside from multiple runs through Baramos’ keep because I got murked. 3 is almost absurdly friendly with levels and EXP compared even to like 5, although I might be biased because I used a martial artist and they really don’t need much equipment once they start leveling.

Then again I DID manage to grab the golden claws after two unsuccessful attempts so that probably did a lot for my levels. :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The remakes of 1-3 basically double the EXP and gold yields from enemies.

That means if you're playing anything at least as new as the Super Famicom version of 1 and 2, you are already experiencing less grind than the originals. Remakes are basically definitive in this series, so don't force yourself through older versions that the director thinks have mistakes out of a misguided sense of purity.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Hyper Inferno posted:

The original version of 3 on NES is pretty grindy, but the SNES/GBC remakes cut that by a lot because they give you a lot more free equipment, gold, and whips exist.

Original NES 3 is actually the fastest (non-RNG manipulation, non-major glitch) of the entire series to speedrun (not counting remakes of 1, 2, and 3) and typically requires the least grinding. Baramos is more difficult than Zoma typically, so you don't really need the extra 10-15 levels of XP that all signs imply you need.

Also you can use the "minor" parry glitch to parry on every character except the one in the last slot each round while they still get full actions.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

BabyRyoga posted:

Original NES 3 is actually the fastest (non-RNG manipulation, non-major glitch) of the entire series to speedrun (not counting remakes of 1, 2, and 3) and typically requires the least grinding. Baramos is more difficult than Zoma typically, so you don't really need the extra 10-15 levels of XP that all signs imply you need.

Also you can use the "minor" parry glitch to parry on every character except the one in the last slot each round while they still get full actions.

Was the parry glitch removed from the snes version?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

The remakes of 1-3 basically double the EXP and gold yields from enemies.

That means if you're playing anything at least as new as the Super Famicom version of 1 and 2, you are already experiencing less grind than the originals. Remakes are basically definitive in this series, so don't force yourself through older versions that the director thinks have mistakes out of a misguided sense of purity.

I definitely felt that the xp changes in DQ 1 took it from something that was a chore to something that didn't outstay its welcome.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Social Animal posted:

Was the parry glitch removed from the snes version?

Yeah, the NES ver of 3 is the only one that has it. The SNES version plays out a little faster than the NES one, but the bosses are way more difficult.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Dragon Quest 3 is for me where the series really took off. It wasn't even my first Dragon Quest(that was 4), and I've probably come back to it the most other than 5 and 6.

I finished the first two just to see the series origins, but I haven't played either since.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm enjoying playing through 1 and 2, to see where the series got its roots. I doubt I'll ever play them again though, unless they get remade in the future. Also, I've been following a guide for each, and I couldn't imagine how long it would take to finish these games without one. I'm very impatient.

Booted up the SFC verison of 3 and it looks really drat good! Can't wait to start playing that.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I never played the second game as a kid but the dragon warrior copy I had came with what was a essentially a walkthrough/guide book.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006
The Dragon Quest Illustrations artbook is on sale on Amazon, if anybody's interested. Seems it's usually 31 USD plus tax but I got it for 17 after tax.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

DQ11 ran into a mermaid remember hearing something about how you can actually gently caress up here somehow. Feel free to spoil me how do I avoid the bad with her?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Do what you feel is right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait there's multiple outcomes there?

The only bizarre thing about the mermaid to me was

(Late game spoilers) When I went back in time she was still alive, even though the time I went back to was several chapters after she had already self-yeeted herself to the world tree

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 4, 2019

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Wait there's multiple outcomes there?

Yeah but neither make any real impact on the game so don’t stress it.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Avalerion posted:

DQ11 ran into a mermaid remember hearing something about how you can actually gently caress up here somehow. Feel free to spoil me how do I avoid the bad with her?

You should just do what you think is best, but There's no happy ending for her. You can either lie to her and let her continue her extremely long life alone and waiting for happiness that will never come, or tell her the truth and give her eternal rest.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
There's a demo? For a PC port? It's real and up on DQB™2's Steam page right now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The demo either works or is completely busted for people. The tutorial guy refuses to advance the plot and is stuck behind a door.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
Builders 2 on PC seems pretty good to me. It's the version I was waiting for mostly for frame rate and view distance improvements. PC options seem good but it's capped at 60 fps and I get the sense that they could have increased the view distance a bit more. I also have the text at full speed but there seems to be some inner voice dialogue that hangs in the screen for an extremely long time and can't be skipped for no apparent reason.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

Builders 2 on PC seems pretty good to me. It's the version I was waiting for mostly for frame rate and view distance improvements. PC options seem good but it's capped at 60 fps and I get the sense that they could have increased the view distance a bit more. I also have the text at full speed but there seems to be some inner voice dialogue that hangs in the screen for an extremely long time and can't be skipped for no apparent reason.
that happened in Senuas Sacrifice and everyone said it was art

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

How are the controls? Building in first person seems like it'd be fine on PC, but the third person building controls seem like they could be a problem unless they reworked them for mouse and keyboard players

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Icedude posted:

How are the controls? Building in first person seems like it'd be fine on PC, but the third person building controls seem like they could be a problem unless they reworked them for mouse and keyboard players

I played with an XBone controller but they seem to be encouraging the use of a mouse with extra tool tips. The mouse cursor also annoyingly pops up in the middle of the screen every time a level loads. I think you're right that keyboard controls would be bad because there's 4 action buttons.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Yeah, m+kb makes it pretty hard to place things accurately in 3rd person, and you also have to deal with an incredibly sluggish camera. Game runs on my PC though, which is more than I expected, so thanks Jumbo Demo (or "Jemo").

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

that happened in Senuas Sacrifice and everyone said it was art

Im pretty sure most people said that game was fart

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Just got a chance to try the PC demo myself and the mouse aiming is certainly a bit rough. Its like it's trying to translate mouse movement into joystick inputs or something. You absolutely need to turn the Camera Rotation Speed setting all the way to fastest. Hopefully theres a hidden options file to be edited somewhere.

And yeah, third person controls on mouse and keyboard are hot garbage as I expected.

Only just got off the boat so no idea how well Furrowfield performs, but I think I'll leave that for another day

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/12/rumour_a_western_release_of_dragon_quest_heroes_i_and_ii_is_looking_even_more_likely

Dragon Quest Heroes 1 & 2 might be coming out on the Switch in the West.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I’ve been playing DQXI on Switch in 2D because I already played all the way through it on PS4. Are there really no indicators for ailments in the battle screen other than the combat text that scrolls by? I know that’s more authentic to classic DQ but it makes it way more annoying. I’m always like uhh is the boss sleeping or am I fuddled or whatever. There doesn't even seem to be a separate screen you can pull up in battle to check the status of everyone.

I may just have to go back to 3D mode :negative:

Baxate fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 8, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm watching Home Alone 2 right now and watched Home Alone on Friday, be it's really weird but this Williams score sounds a lot like Sugiyama Dragon Quest in parts

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Baxate posted:

I’ve been playing DQXI on Switch in 2D because I already played all the way through it on PS4. Are there really no indicators for ailments in the battle screen other than the combat text that scrolls by? I know that’s more authentic to classic DQ but it makes it way more annoying. I’m always like uhh is the boss sleeping or am I fuddled or whatever. There doesn't even seem to be a separate screen you can pull up in battle to check the status of everyone.

I’ve been playing in 3d but in the tockle pieces I noticed under the character names at the top it told me when one was fuddled.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Baxate posted:

I did the whole thing in 2D for the same reason and I don't remember this being a hindrance, I feel like there was definitely an indicator for statuses but off the top of my head I couldn't say what it was :sigh:

The bigger issue I found was monster names not changing colour to indicate health left making it an exercise in guesswork/remembering all your past attacks on where to prioritise your next attacks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I can say one thing about Builders 2 so far: these NPCs are seriously verbose :words:

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The worst parts of DQB2 were when the inner voice text shows up that goes away in the time it takes to make a moderately stacked sandwich and then Malroth has a back and forth conversation with it forcing you to advance dialogue every three minutes.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
If someone figures out how to mod that on PC they will be a god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Famitsu is doing a survey about DQ11 for international fans, I imagine some devs and people at S-E will at least see it. https://s.famitsu.com/news/201912/11188695.html

It's going to be over in just a couple of days so don't put off responding if you want to. Good chance to let them know how you feel about Sugiyama.

Also an opportunity to let them know about any games you'd like to see released internationally, like maybe DQ10 or DQM. When all the new Mana stuff was being announced a while ago it came out in interviews that people at S-E had no idea the rest of the world was ever even interested in Seiken 3.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 11, 2019