Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I fuckin' hate it when mods turn into bloatware. I started messing around in Mount and Blade Warband again and tried out a mod called Diplomacy. But it's more like "Diplomacy and a bunch of other stupid poo poo I've changed but haven't even bothered to mention in the readme".

gently caress you, mod makers who do that.

minecraft mods are the worst for this. they typically only add one interesting or useful block each, but every single one also has to cruft on a million different kinds of cables/generators/furnaces/whatever. so when you try to make a mod pack that has all the cool stuff you also end up with 20 different kinds of electric cabling, 10 kinds of electric furnace, and 100 kinds of redundant generators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Slothful Bong posted:

I sorta remember this kind of stuff with all the STALKER series mods. Any time someone would collect a bunch into a pack, there would always be a handful of really unfun mods added, occasionally without descriptions.

All that said, CoP is still the most i've been into a game besides Destiny 1, and even the lovely mods can turn it into a newish game.

And I just took a look at ModDB, and people are still pumping out content for that game. There's a shitton of new mods, so looks like I need to dive back in!

It's the golden age of stalker mods right now with all the updated binaries and poo poo but every mod has the whole kitchen sink from Misery in it so the garbage collecting/sorting and weapon repair minigames are unavoidable. It's not so bad since I've been onboard the whole time but I can only imagine that trying to dive straight into any major stalker mod today having only played the retail games is a recipe for frustration

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
STALKER is the perfect game and only needs one mod.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos
E: ^ lol

poverty goat posted:

It's the golden age of stalker mods right now with all the updated binaries and poo poo but every mod has the whole kitchen sink from Misery in it so the garbage collecting/sorting and weapon repair minigames are unavoidable. It's not so bad since I've been onboard the whole time but I can only imagine that trying to dive straight into any major stalker mod today having only played the retail games is a recipe for frustration

I was never a fan of Misery, so that's a bummer to hear it's in everything now.

Complete, the hires environment one, whatever added the Alpha squads, and some homemade weapon mod was my go-to like 10 years ago. Gonna dig through the Stalker thread and see what people are using these days.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Slothful Bong posted:

E: ^ lol

I was never a fan of Misery, so that's a bummer to hear it's in everything now.

Complete, the hires environment one, whatever added the Alpha squads, and some homemade weapon mod was my go-to like 10 years ago. Gonna dig through the Stalker thread and see what people are using these days.

It's not really so bad. Everyone's playing Anomaly mod right now, which is great. But the jist of it is:

• there's a lot of loot, a lot of it is garbage, and vendors are more specialized now and will only buy or pay the best price for certain classes of objects. For example, the doctor in Yanov pays best for medicine, but Owl pays best for guns and cocaine, and the scientists pay way more than anyone else for artifacts. Much of the ammo you find now will be corroded, which means vendors won't pay much for it and it will damage your gun, and you'll only ever find broken guns that vendors won't buy on corpses so don't bother with those either.
  • Pay to repair is really expensive so you'll want to pick up repair kits for your gear, and keep an eye on consumable drops like glue or gun oil that improve the quality of certain repairs. The cheapest weapon cleaning kits/sewing kits only work above 85% durability so you'll want to try to keep it in that range. It's really not that bad once you figure it out and it lets you make repairs in the field. There's also a whole new system that lets you break down guns for parts and do the upgrades yourself but I haven't really messed with it yet.
  • The current crop of mods don't have most of the story content from the original trilogy and are mainly freeplay only. There is a story mode now that will give you checkpoints to mostly wander through all the sites and visit surviving main characters in following Strelok's trail as you try to find him, but it feels pretty beta/fanfic at the moment. There are a couple of other silly gamemodes to try as well like ironman and one that turns every NPC into a zombie that knows exactly where you are, but really freeplay is the main event
  • There are also some radiant AI type quests which aren't too bad if they coincide with where you want to go.
  • e: there are a lot of options at character creation and turning the progression difficulty slider down will spare you the worst of the new loot/repair bullshit while you figure it out

Also the gunplay and atmosphere are top notch and the graphics/AI/backend have been improved a ton

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 4, 2019

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I always thought mods could fix Farcry 2. Unfortunately they never released the SDK so all that exists is weak poo poo like guys modding out gun jamming or making it so your cursor doesn't show up on the map.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

DildenAnders posted:

I always thought mods could fix Farcry 2. Unfortunately they never released the SDK so all that exists is weak poo poo like guys modding out gun jamming or making it so your cursor doesn't show up on the map.
new unpopular opinion: kojima tried to fix far cry 2 and the result was mgsv

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Yeah, I have a physical copy of Call of Pripyat that I found in some bargain bin years ago and played the regular version for a few hours but just couldn't get into it, even though FPS RPGs or whatever the term one would like to use are absolutely my favorite types of games (Prey was amazing).

I'd really like to give it an honest try, though, so what mods would ya'll suggest for a new player who's familiar with most of the shared mechanics of system shock/prey/etc already? Again, I just have a standard retail version right now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Unpopular Opinion: I think it's cool that Bohemia still cares enough about DayZ to release a new map.

Actual opinion: LMAO Bohemia is charging 15 bucks for a map from another one of their games ported to noted early access disaster DayZ. They have some loving nerve.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Floodixor posted:

Yeah, I have a physical copy of Call of Pripyat that I found in some bargain bin years ago and played the regular version for a few hours but just couldn't get into it, even though FPS RPGs or whatever the term one would like to use are absolutely my favorite types of games (Prey was amazing).

I'd really like to give it an honest try, though, so what mods would ya'll suggest for a new player who's familiar with most of the shared mechanics of system shock/prey/etc already? Again, I just have a standard retail version right now.

CoP is the one that doesn't need mods, but that's not to say you can't get it looking and feeling better than vanilla. There's still a fairly active thread in Games that might be able to steer you to a CoP mod that's closer to vanilla (but you might want to avoid anything called Misery for now). All the current crop of active mods use a custom engine with new binaries and are standalone (won't require you to prove you own anything) which seems a little weird, but the studio is kaput and nobody seems to be doing anything about it so I guess it's fine. The downside is none of the active standalone mods have the original story content from any of the 3 in them, maybe for licensing reasons :iiam: so they're hard to recommend to someone who hasn't worn out the source material

e: gonna change my vote to Atmosfear 3 plus Absolute Nature and Absolute Structures

This won't change the core gameplay much but will look pretty nice for a game from 2009

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 4, 2019

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Lodin posted:

STALKER is the perfect game and only needs one mod.

:hmmyes:

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP

poverty goat posted:

This won't change the core gameplay much but will look pretty nice for a game from 2009

Good deal, thanks!

I'm looking at the Remake one. Is that decent?

I'll also head on over to the games thread. Thanks for the info.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

DildenAnders posted:

I don't think there is much one could do to "fix" Far Cry 2 because the core gameplay itself is just so dull. Yeah, I know they wanted to make it "realistic" but goddamn some developers confuse that term with "annoying". Plus, the sequels refined what Far Cry 2 was trying to get at and are just a better experience.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Justin Godscock posted:

I don't think there is much one could do to "fix" Far Cry 2 because the core gameplay itself is just so dull. Yeah, I know they wanted to make it "realistic" but goddamn some developers confuse that term with "annoying". Plus, the sequels refined what Far Cry 2 was trying to get at and are just a better experience.

Far Cry 2 is the best Far Cry.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Far Cry 2 is the worst Far Cry.

though they're really trying to outdo themselves making GBS threads out new farcry games lately

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Justin Godscock posted:

Eh that's just your cup of tea. I personally didn't like Farcry 3 too much, and I thought Farcry 4 was one of the worst games I've ever played. Some of the existing mods actually make it a lot more exciting just by making everything a lot more fragile. If modders could fix the guard post aggresiveness, then I think it would make up for the interesting but completely botched story and somewhat repetitive missions. That games environment and atmosphere are unmatched in my eyes.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

setting poo poo on fire in far cry 2 owned a lot

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Primal was the worst Far Cry game.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

DildenAnders posted:

Eh that's just your cup of tea. I personally didn't like Farcry 3 too much, and I thought Farcry 4 was one of the worst games I've ever played. Some of the existing mods actually make it a lot more exciting just by making everything a lot more fragile. If modders could fix the guard post aggresiveness, then I think it would make up for the interesting but completely botched story and somewhat repetitive missions. That games environment and atmosphere are unmatched in my eyes.

The mountain climbing in 4 was tedious and boring enough to make me stop playing. It was always just a long animation of me playing footsie with a chunky gray texture.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All far cry game is bad

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Far Cry 2 had some interesting ideas but was sort of just a pain in the rear end. Far Cry 3 completely neutered all of those ideas to make the series as mainstream as possible, but it was also fun as hell and still felt fresh at the time it came out. FC4 did literally nothing to expand on 3 but it was still pretty fun and had enough room to coast off the success of 3. FC5 just sucked. Also all of the little offshoot games suck except Blood Dragon which was decent but is overrated as hell.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

My unpopular opinion is that the caveman Farcry was fun, but I like cavemen a lot for some reason so I'm biased. It had a really cool throwing spear.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Far Cry 5 is fun if you live in a conservative area and hate it. Then the game becomes cathartic as all hell.

Yeah, there's another unpopular video game opinion: Far Cry 5 is fun.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All hitscan shooters are bad, guns should always behave like in STALKER

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Farcry 4 was only good cuz the mini chopper/mini grenade launcher combo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

My unpopular opinion is that the caveman Farcry was fun, but I like cavemen a lot for some reason so I'm biased. It had a really cool throwing spear.

The idea was neat but they didn't adapt the FC systems at all and some of them felt extremely shoehorned in. Lucky for them that hunting animals with a bow-and-arrow was a staple of the ones before it, but poo poo like riding animals instead of vehicles, and the "clear out strongholds" type gameplay just felt ridiculous.

Horizon: Zero Dawn did the caveman thing better IMO even if it's "Cavemen vs. robots"

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Far Cry 2 had some interesting ideas but was sort of just a pain in the rear end. Far Cry 3 completely neutered all of those ideas to make the series as mainstream as possible, but it was also fun as hell and still felt fresh at the time it came out. FC4 did literally nothing to expand on 3 but it was still pretty fun and had enough room to coast off the success of 3. FC5 just sucked. Also all of the little offshoot games suck except Blood Dragon which was decent but is overrated as hell.

the farcry franchise is on the same trajectory as assassin's creed. the cow is dead but they're still milking

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Origins and Odyssey are both really good games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Rayman Origins and Super Mario Odyssey are indeed good games

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
3D World > Odyssey

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Which Farcry was it that turned you into Wolverine? That one was really good.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I just started 3D World and it's the first 3DS game I've played that kind of makes me wish I had a 3DSXL instead of a 2DSXL

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SpazmasterX posted:

Which Farcry was it that turned you into Wolverine? That one was really good.

Far Cry Instincts Predator?

MORE LIEK FART'N'CRY SHITSTINKS UHH UMM MERCATOR LMAO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

far cry 5 was a blast and i will never, ever understand people complaining about the plot of a game where you and your grizzly bear companion hunt drug-cultists as you walk between fishing spots

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I just started 3D World and it's the first 3DS game I've played that kind of makes me wish I had a 3DSXL instead of a 2DSXL

that's 3d land you SCRUB

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

food court bailiff posted:

far cry 5 was a blast and i will never, ever understand people complaining about the plot of a game where you and your grizzly bear companion hunt drug-cultists as you walk between fishing spots

that's 3d land you SCRUB

It's still the best Mario game I've played in years though, so far

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

yeah it owns super hard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Super Mario Odyssey is the best Banjo-Kazooie game

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
Far Cry New Dawn is better than Far Cry 5 by virtue of being less game overall.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.

Justin Godscock posted:

Far Cry 5 is fun if you live in a conservative area and hate it. Then the game becomes cathartic as all hell.

I'd agree if they actually had the guts to make it an evangelical conservative cult. I unashamedly love the far cry games, but that game was ruined with its "apolitical" BS.

New Dawn had some great stuff like the expeditions, so I actually enjoyed my time with it, though I'll never play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Snow Cone Capone posted:

3d land was like the only 3ds game where the 3d effects felt worthwhile and non-gimmicky