Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
they scrambled all at once and created the mother of all traffic jams.
In space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

Say what you will about the FO, they pay their contractors on time and don't go back on a deal.

Ever since the Space Teamsters threatened to strike on behalf of all the contractors who died on the job while the second Death Star was under construction, labor has really gotten better.

Over three-hundred thousand aluminum siding installers alone were needed to help the rush order for Palpatine's fleet of Star Destroyers in the next film, and every single one of them is safely back home on planets that aren't in visual range of the ones in these movies.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

revwinnebago posted:

Ever since the Space Teamsters threatened to strike on behalf of all the contractors who died on the job while the second Death Star was under construction, labor has really gotten better.

Over three-hundred thousand aluminum siding installers alone were needed to help the rush order for Palpatine's fleet of Star Destroyers in the next film, and every single one of them is safely back home on planets that aren't in visual range of the ones in these movies.

This is what Lupita Nyongo was having a “labor dispute” about when they call her up in TLJ

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Applewhite posted:

Tarkin refused to scramble them so only Vader's personal squadrons were deployed or something.

That makes a ton of sense.

Moff Tarkin! We're being attacked by several wings of enemy fighters, we can deploy air defenses and easily drive them off! I have multiple squadrons at the ready, sir!

*coquettishly, and back over his shoulder* "...No!"

But sir! They're bombing the surface and appear to have pinpointed several weaknesses! We have men on the surface level decks DYING, we can end this in minutes if you'll just...

"...NO!" *Impish grin*

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
This may have been posted here before, but just in case: https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/star-wars-writers-predict-how-the-skywalker-saga-will-end?amp

quote:

Late in the story treatment, Kylo Ren attacks Rey with his lightsaber. "Ren's blow cuts the upper right side of her scalp. She falls to the floor, gasping." Then, Foster indicates that the upper right side of her head is cut away and cauterized. "Amid the exposed bone, a small freeform transparency fills part of her head, melding sinuously with her brain. Behind the transparency, lights flash and twinkle. Reaching up, Rey touches the exposed area, and draws back her hand in shock. The revelation is as unexpected to her as it is to us."

Kylo Ren voices his disgust: "Droid. Part droid. No wonder you mastered the use of the Force so quickly. No wonder you... learn so quickly. Hybrid. Monster."

quote:

Once the big battle is over and Rey and Luke emerge triumphant, Luke weakens, smiles tiredly, and makes a final request of Rey: "Take care of the galaxy." He then whispers, "Aunt Beru,"

quote:

"How many clones of him are there, Ren wonders? Snoke's grin now turns into an evil grimace. 'Wouldn't you like to know?'"

This question is answered later, when Luke singlehandedly takes on a literal army of Snoke clones, all of them wielding lightsabers.

quote:

We don't know for sure that the Emperor is human. Maybe he's some kind of Force vampire.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I'm not averse to twisting canon a little in the service of telling a good story. I don't mind expanding what's been established with stuff like force astral projection or hyperspace ramming but Alan Dean Foster's "being part droid makes you better at using the Force" breaks one of the fundamental bedrocks of what the audience has been told since 1977 it's amazing to me he was ever allowed near the property let alone given the task of doing two of the main series novelizatoins.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Sydin posted:

I know the EU fleshes out how horny Jedi are a lot more but in the PT it's really weird how every other Jedi in existence is like a perfect zen monk with no libido, except for Anakin who is apparently the only Jedi in the universe who wants to gently caress. Like it's a plot point that the Jedi just assume Anakin is like them and doesn't want to gently caress so it goes over their head that he is obviously head over heels for Natalie Portman. Like FFS in RotS she's pregnant and Anakin spends all of his downtime chilling at her apartment, Obi-Wan knows this, and somehow he can't put two and two together.

The Jedi suck.

"The Jedi suck" seems like the thesis statement of the whole PT.

It's also not explained why Anakin can't quit the Jedi and just be with Padme. "I'm a Senator! :ohdear: " TF does that mean?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm not averse to twisting canon a little in the service of telling a good story. I don't mind expanding what's been established with stuff like force astral projection or hyperspace ramming but Alan Dean Foster's "being part droid makes you better at using the Force" breaks one of the fundamental bedrocks of what the audience has been told since 1977 it's amazing to me he was ever allowed near the property let alone given the task of doing two of the main series novelizatoins.

doesn't he have have the distinction of writing the novel so weird it was made non-canon?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

Also 5, 6 and 8.

It’s not that Anakin can’t leave the order (2 establishes with Dooku that you totally can just leave if you really want), but he doesn’t want to. He has been taught since he was a little child, and totally believes, that it’s his destiny to be the most powerful of the Jedi. In his inflated self-opinion, it shouldn’t clash with this for him to have a wife. “You might say Jedi are encouraged to love.” He thinks that he should be able to get whatever he wants because he’s special. He should be able to be a Jedi and get laid and stop people from dying and be on the council and be a master and...

From Padme’s point of view all this is kind of messed up. She’s visibly and openly uncomfortable with Anakin’s advances in 2; she only starts to reciprocate them when she thinks she is about to die. Why? Plenty of reasons — she still thinks of him as a kid, she disagrees with his worldview, she’s worried about his emotional instability, democratic leaders aren’t supposed to have secret relationships with people, especially not other government employees, especially not ones who are sworn to not get in relationships.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Double post

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ema Nymton posted:

It's also not explained why Anakin can't quit the Jedi and just be with Padme. "I'm a Senator! :ohdear: " TF does that mean?

She really should have said "I'm a queen!" because such royalty could only be married to other royalty in order to secure an alliance. I'm sure there is an eligible prince on Alderaan (the other named feudal planet) or something.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You left out the part where one of the writers quotes the cinematic masterpiece Suicide Squad

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This is all making me annoyed (again) that TPM has Anakin be a literal child. It’s the most stupid, insane decision imaginable, why the gently caress George?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Ultimately anakin failed the working class by choosing to date a turbolib like padme. For this alone he was unworthy of redemption

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemada posted:

This is all making me annoyed (again) that TPM has Anakin be a literal child. It’s the most stupid, insane decision imaginable, why the gently caress George?

Probably intended to charm people. poo poo tons of people already have a problem realizing that Anakin isn’t supposed to be a nice or good person in 2 and 3, how much worse would it have been if he was a whiny entitled teenager from the start?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

No Mods No Masters posted:

Ultimately anakin failed the working class by choosing to date a turbolib like padme. For this alone he was unworthy of redemption

Padme more like Pelosadme!!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

Also 5, 6 and 8.

It’s not that Anakin can’t leave the order (2 establishes with Dooku that you totally can just leave if you really want), but he doesn’t want to. He has been taught since he was a little child, and totally believes, that it’s his destiny to be the most powerful of the Jedi. In his inflated self-opinion, it shouldn’t clash with this for him to have a wife. “You might say Jedi are encouraged to love.” He thinks that he should be able to get whatever he wants because he’s special. He should be able to be a Jedi and get laid and stop people from dying and be on the council and be a master and...

From Padme’s point of view all this is kind of messed up. She’s visibly and openly uncomfortable with Anakin’s advances in 2; she only starts to reciprocate them when she thinks she is about to die.

She dresses in sexy fetish gear for him way before then. She's uncomfortable because she's as much an emotionally stunted wreck as he is.

Anakin's cult is the Jedi, Padme's is the Republic.They're both child soldiers indoctrinated into an ideology that leads to the dark side. She literally doesn't care when he admits to killing sand people - even he knew that was wrong.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Torquemada posted:

He wanted to show Anakin/Vader when he was still innocent. Becoming a terrible person doesn't happen overnight.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

sassassin posted:

She literally doesn't care when he admits to killing sand people

I thought she was from Naboo, not America!!!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I always took the “I’m a senator!” line to more or less imply “this would cause a bigass fuckin scandal.” I mean, Jedi aren’t allowed to love, so if their relationship went public (because she’s presumably a very public figure) it could ruin her career. This isn’t something that was elaborated on at all, since it’s not like she has a political opponent looking to expose a scandal on her or anything, but that was how I interpreted the scene. It's also possible she could have been seen as being blamed for the one who tempted the chosen one to the dark side, but that's also not really established nor elaborated on.

Hustlin Floh posted:

You left out the part where one of the writers quotes the cinematic masterpiece Suicide Squad

Oh there's tons of stupid poo poo in there I didn't point out, feel free to comb through and share your favorites.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Fartbox posted:

Didn't they do the same thing in TFA? They attack the SUPER DEATHSTAR with like 10 fighters and the SUPER DEATHSTAR responds with like 10 fighters for defense

Rogue One is the only movie that the Empire isn't massively holding back, and only slightly holding back when it comes to fighters. ANH and ROTJ are two of the biggest offenders, as has been said, you would realistically have had hundreds to thousands of fighters, but the technology/time/effort to do that would have been impossible/very prohibitive. TFA is the same (because it's just a copy of ANH) and TLJ should have been a massive swarm of fighters for nearly every FO scene since they brought so many capital ships.

Actually, TLJ should have been over by the one minute mark.

-First Order jumps into orbit.
-Rebels frantically try to evacuate the planet.
-FO one-shots the Rebel fleet

Or.

-Rebels jump out of the system
-First Order follows them and starts firing (rebel shields hold)
-First Order sends more than three fighters (maybe 9?) and they do 3x the damage we see in the movie and the rebels are destroyed by the 10 minute mark.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Didn't they say they held back the fighters because by the time they reached the rebels they would jump and it'd take too long to recover the fighters before pursuing? Or is that justification I made up in my head

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TK-42-1 posted:

Didn't they say they held back the fighters because by the time they reached the rebels they would jump and it'd take too long to recover the fighters before pursuing? Or is that justification I made up in my head

You made it up because literally the entire plot contrivance for the chase scene is that the resistance can't jump because they're out of fuel and if they jump they'll instantly empty the engines.

Of course this doesn't stop them from running at full combat speed for like 16 hours, but let's give Rian the benefit of the doubt (lol) and say that hyperspace jumps use a shitton more fuel than sublight travel.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TK-42-1 posted:

Definitely head canon.

It can mostly be chalked up to Tarkin hubris, evidenced by his refusal to evacuate when his senior staff realized their starbase had a loose poop chute. It was a suicidal gesture of desperation against his invincible space station.

And in his defense he was almost right. If not for one smuggler discovering his heart of gold and one farmboy making a one in a million shot, he was seconds away from wiping out the Alliance. As it stands, 3 starfighters out of 30 survived the sortee against the Death Star.

E: I'm a dummy and thought we were still talking about Yavin.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The given reason is that the capital ships "can't cover the fighters" at the that range. Which is an absurdity because the cap ship guns can't meaningfully cover fighters anyway, and even if they could, the entire complement of resistance fighters is out of action. ==

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe instead of firing slow-moving blaster turrets the death star could have just had a million lasers everywhere that could lock on to a fighter with perfect accuracy and blow it up in a matter of a few tenths of a second

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Chomp8645 posted:

You made it up because literally the entire plot contrivance for the chase scene is that the resistance can't jump because they're out of fuel and if they jump they'll instantly empty the engines.

They have enough speed for one further hyperspeed jump. Even once the fuel is exhausted and what's left is pumped into the transports they have fuel for one further hyperspace jump.

Chomp8645 posted:

The given reason is that the capital ships "can't cover the fighters" at the that range. Which is an absurdity because the cap ship guns can't meaningfully cover fighters anyway, and even if they could, the entire complement of resistance fighters is out of action. ==

'cover the fighers' means stay within a range that the fighers can retreat and not run out of fuel. The concept of 'short range fighters' goes back to ANH.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
if you really wanted to be a pedant I would have gone with 'why does the 16 hour chase use any fuel at all they're just going in a straight line and there's no friction in space'

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

The Walrus posted:

'cover the fighers' means stay within a range that the fighers can retreat and not run out of fuel. The concept of 'short range fighters' goes back to ANH.

Guy are you trolling me? Because I feel like you're trolling me.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
yeah you're right, they considered TIE fighters to be too expendable, they really wouldn't care if they could be recovered by the capital ship. plot hole!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

skasion posted:

Probably intended to charm people. poo poo tons of people already have a problem realizing that Anakin isn’t supposed to be a nice or good person in 2 and 3, how much worse would it have been if he was a whiny entitled teenager from the start?

There’s a reason ‘Romeo and Juliet’ has lasted 400 years, the whole thing would have worked better if they were alike in age.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
My bounty is as boundless as the sea,
My love as deep; the more I give to thee,
The more I have, for both are infinite.
Much like sand, which gets everywhere
And is most annoying.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

The Walrus posted:

yeah you're right, they considered TIE fighters to be too expendable, they really wouldn't care if they could be recovered by the capital ship. plot hole!

But seriously. You build an evil empire out of WW2 metaphors and it's the Rebels who constantly kamikaze when faced with death? Um.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

revwinnebago posted:

the Rebels who constantly kamikaze when faced with death?

Man, you do something ONE TIME and the next thing you know you're stereotyped forever!!!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Torquemada posted:

There’s a reason ‘Romeo and Juliet’ has lasted 400 years, the whole thing would have worked better if they were alike in age.

Nah. Padme as substitute mom highlights how hosed up, uneven, immature and insatiable Anakin’s desires are. If they’re the same age people would be more inclined to excuse Anakin for it, which is not the story that Lucas was trying to tell. Hell, it wasn’t even the story Shakespeare was trying to tell. Romeo’s almost as big an rear end in a top hat as Anakin.

Mozi posted:

And is most annoying.

Lol

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Well the Empire are the ones with the equivalent of nukes that they dump on non military targets and furthermore Jedi are just samurai so star wars is officially an anime

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Mozi posted:

And is most annoying.

excellent

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

i thought the rebels were more like the mujahideen

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

The Walrus posted:

if you really wanted to be a pedant I would have gone with 'why does the 16 hour chase use any fuel at all they're just going in a straight line and there's no friction in space'

lol this is the first thing I thought of in the theater when they were explaining the fuel nonsense. Just cut the engines you morons, you'll keep moving in the same direction and speed!

Not too terribly hung up over it though, TLJ is just the latest in a long, long, long line of sci-fi works that treat space like the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

put purrgil in the rise of skywalker